PDA

View Full Version : Europa Universalis III Expansions as DLC

caimenvb
01-23-2011, 11:23 PM
I want to know why Europa Universalis III expansions are sold on Steam as downloadable content? These are expansions. I want to be able to play Heir to the Throne and Divine Wind. Which is exactly why I haven't bought Divine Wind on Steam yet. I will not do so until there is some sort of explanation for this. These are separate games, not simple addons. Divine Wind is a completely different game than Heir to the Throne. If I have bought both games, I want to be able to play both games. So Steam what is the deal, why are you doing this to your customers?

Paradox Interactive says this is all your doing. Here is the link to the Paradox forum where there is a discussion about this.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?516957-Divine-Wind-on-Steam-kills-Heir-to-the-Throne

Here is a link to my website
http://www.strategynerd.com

Nordoyle
01-24-2011, 02:02 AM
Wow this sucks I just picked up this game since it was on sale and glad I didn't get Divine Wind yet. You might want to contact support about this and see what they say although I think they will just give the normal run around.

Also mind informing us what is "lost" if we do upgrade from HttT to DW any game modes, options, choices. or units? Since I just started playing I know very little of what the game has to offer to me now other than the basics.

Woofy12
01-24-2011, 03:21 AM
I thought all the expansions did was add features to the core game. Why would you want to play Eu3 vanilla?

Aetius
01-24-2011, 03:49 AM
EDIT: Oh wait, misunderstood the question.

zombo77
01-24-2011, 08:23 AM
I thought all the expansions did was add features to the core game. Why would you want to play Eu3 vanilla?

Why should we lose the ability to play HTTT with Magna Mundi? Or to load up old savegames?

DW is great but its also broken in many ways, there are many reasons why someone would want to play an older expansion of EU3.

You can't even play online with people who do not own DW.

paziek
01-24-2011, 12:18 PM
I think its up to the Paradox to do game launcher with would let you choose mods/expansions/dlc you want. Much like they did with Mount & Blade. I checked a few of Steam competitors and it looks like everyone requires all previous "expansions" and EU3 vanilla for DW "expansion" to work. It ain't separate game, rather and update for the EU3 with changes a lot since the last one. Thats actually Paradox fault. But I agree that Steam COULD make it into separate installations, so that you could choose with one you want to play.

caimenvb
01-24-2011, 09:40 PM
It's not a question of weather HTTT is required to play the game, it's a question of being able to play both games. Tropico does it fine with Tropico: Absolute power. Divine Wind at a fundamental level is a completely different game than HTTT, that is what this is all about. I just want one company or the other to take responsibility for it.

tKEN
01-25-2011, 08:57 PM
Not sure if it could work but, if EU3 is builded like Hoi

Making a backup directory of HTTT
then installing DW.
Would provide two directory with one having the expansion
and the other not.
So you can come back to early version without having to uninstall DW.

Might be a little more problematic on Steam since it manage directory etc. Worth a try maybe?

ajp100688
01-26-2011, 12:23 AM
You're obviously new to Paradox games. Paradox has always released it's expansions essentially as patches to the Vanilla game. It's been doing this since the days of Victoria:Revolutions. Nothing to do with Steam, so you're just going to have to put up with it for now or attempt what the poster above suggested.

thebigJ_A
01-26-2011, 01:49 AM
They are add-ons. NOT separate games. They are expansions that add features.

Divine Wind is not at all a completely different game that HttT. It is HttT, with a few features added. It's the same game. They just improved a few things. (There are a few issues, but they are working on a patch now.) The only really major changes happen if you play as Japan or China, and even those are just new mechanics bolted on to the original game.

Where on Earth did you get the idea Divine Wind was some massively different game than HttT??

caimenvb
01-26-2011, 06:37 PM
@thebigJ_A

the game is flawed. everyone in the game can call on there allies who in turn can infinitely call there allies. world war 1 starts almost immediately once the game starts. that "feature" alone completely changes the game. They are expansions that not only add features but change them. But the Steam community confirms that this is Paradox's problem as I suspected. Thank you, I will be taking my complaints to them from now on.

thebigJ_A
01-27-2011, 01:01 AM
@thebigJ_A

the game is flawed. everyone in the game can call on there allies who in turn can infinitely call there allies. world war 1 starts almost immediately once the game starts. that "feature" alone completely changes the game. They are expansions that not only add features but change them. But the Steam community confirms that this is Paradox's problem as I suspected. Thank you, I will be taking my complaints to them from now on.

It's working mostly as intended. I agree it needs some tweaking, as the alliances can occasionally go too far, but the principle is sound.

I've yet to have a game where "world war 1" starts immediately. Or ever. Besides, wars in EU are limited affairs. Some territory changes hands, maybe a OPM is annexed. The "feature" is the ability to call your allies into a war, or not.

The only change I think it needs is that if a country allies with someone new during a war, that new person can't get involved. At least not immediately. Perhaps some amount of time should pass. But the general idea of allies joining each other when a war breaks out is a good thing. It makes sense. It makes you need to think before you declare a war. Check who is allying/guaranteeing etc. Now check their allies. Like a real leader would do.

Regardless, there's a chasm between one changed mechanic, and what you were claiming. "Separate games" indeed.

twobits
01-27-2011, 12:32 PM
I was just going to buy the two 'games' that are on sale. After readings this I am
wondering if I should just buy the complete pack and not the Heir to the Throne as a new player who just want to mess around with the game some for now?

skyerxd
01-27-2011, 05:52 PM
I was just going to buy the two 'games' that are on sale. After readings this I am
wondering if I should just buy the complete pack and not the Heir to the Throne as a new player who just want to mess around with the game some for now?

buy HtT to, really cheap now and worths the money

thebigJ_A
01-30-2011, 08:48 PM
HttT makes the game much deeper, and improves the fun immensely. It adds a detailed Cassus Belli (Cause for War) system, meaning you need to have a good reason to go to war (or manufacture one ;) ). Different CB give you different bonuses and maluses in your peace negotiations after the war. For instance, a Conquest CB will allow you to take a province without incurring infamy, and you'll have to work less to get to the point where the enemy will accept it.

You can go to war w/o a CB, but there are penalties. It adds some good political machinations to the game.

TheCheeseMaster
02-01-2011, 02:03 AM
Anyway, they should be given their own game slot (in your game library) like how other game portals do. That means you could always redownload the game to play HTTT.

thebigJ_A
02-01-2011, 02:33 AM
I don't see the point to that. If you want to "play HttT" when you have DW, just play as any country in the world except China and Japan. Aside from those two countries, the only differences are an upgrade to the graphics and some tweaks, minor improvements, and some more events. Everything that was in HttT is still in DW.

Talroth
02-01-2011, 10:14 AM
I don't see the point to that. If you want to "play HttT" when you have DW, just play as any country in the world except China and Japan. Aside from those two countries, the only differences are an upgrade to the graphics and some tweaks, minor improvements, and some more events. Everything that was in HttT is still in DW.

Except that the DW AI updates results in very different actions. There are very valid reasons for players to want to downgrade back to HttT until some of the issues get patched.

There is no reason why we shouldn't be allowed to not install the newer expansions if we wanted to only play the older ones.

(And Steam really needs to fix whatever issue is causing the checksum error.)

ZealTheSavior
02-07-2011, 01:57 PM
I'd like to be able to play without the expansions since a friend of mine only has the complete and now since I have the expansions we can't play together. Along with my old saves being incompatible with the newer versions of the games which I'd have liked to finish.

hairlessOrphan
02-07-2011, 02:30 PM

But there are things in DW that are not in HttT (http://www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/What_is_new_in_Divine_Wind). Most notably infinitely-cascading alliances.

There is also one very important thing that is in HttT that is not in DW: Magna Mundi support.

Egnarts
05-11-2011, 05:22 PM
I'd like to know too why we're essentialy barred from playing a game that we've bought.

After I upgraded to DW, HTTT isn't even an option to download, what gives?

Egnarts
05-22-2011, 11:05 AM
Still no official answer... Weak.