PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else having problems with Demo?

Frozen Gale
01-25-2011, 01:07 AM
I downloaded the Demo of Magicka to check it out and the download worked just fine. I started it up and it did the usual verification for changes whenever it starts a Steam game up for the first. And it seemed to work fine but then I got an error message, but I accidentally closed the window before I could read it. Then I tried to start the game... doesn't work. Nothing happens. It doesn't bring up a preloader or anything absolutely nothing happens. I tried reinstalling it but I get the same problem. Any ideas on what I can do to fix this?

EDIT-

I found a butt-load of error reports. One for each time I tried to start the game. Not sure what to make of them but this is what they say

LoaderThread
System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'Magicka.Gamers.Gamer' threw an exception. ---> System.ObjectDisposedException: Cannot access a disposed object.
Object name: 'Texture2D'.
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Helpers.CheckDisposed(Obje ct obj, IntPtr pComPtr)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.Texture2D.CopyDat a[T](Int32 level, Nullable`1 rect, T[] data, Int32 startIndex, Int32 elementCount, UInt32 options, Boolean isSetting)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Texture2DReader.Re ad(ContentReader input, Texture2D existingInstance)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.Invo keReader[T](ContentTypeReader reader, Object existingInstance)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.Read ObjectInternal[T](Object existingInstance)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.Read Object[T]()
at PolygonHead.BitmapFont..ctor(ContentReader iInput)
at PolygonHead.Pipeline.BitmapFontReader.Read(Content Reader iInput, BitmapFont existingInstance)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.Invo keReader[T](ContentTypeReader reader, Object existingInstance)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.Read ObjectInternal[T](Object existingInstance)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.Read Object[T]()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.Read Asset[T]()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.Rea dAsset[T](String assetName, Action`1 recordDisposableObject)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.Loa d[T](String assetName)
at Magicka.Graphics.FontManager..ctor()
at Magicka.Graphics.FontManager.get_Instance()
at Magicka.GameLogic.UI.MessageBox..ctor(String iMessage)
at Magicka.GameLogic.UI.GamerCustomizeMessageBox..cto r()
at Magicka.GameLogic.UI.GamerCustomizeMessageBox.get_ Instance()
at Magicka.Gamers.Gamer..ctor(String iGamerTag)
at Magicka.Gamers.Gamer..cctor()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Magicka.Gamers.Gamer..ctor(String iGamerTag)
at Magicka.GameLogic.Profile.Read()
at Magicka.Game.LoaderFunction()

Paradox__rep
01-25-2011, 02:51 AM
Hi,

Make sure you have the following installed:

xna redistributable (xnafx31_redist.exe)
microsoft .net framework 3.5 (dotNetFx35setup.exe)

(seems that steam didn't autoinstall these with the demo)

They are actually included in the demo so navigate to:

c:\program\steam\steamapps\common\magicka demo\ - or wherever you have steam/game installed to and find the files.

That should resolve most problems.

Let me know if it works.

/s

GDragonFly
01-25-2011, 03:44 AM
Hi, I have a problem. Game constantly crashes my graphic drivers. If I play in window they restart and crash again every minute or even less but if I have game on fullscreen the whole system crashes. I have Radeon 3850X2. I already tried installing framework an everything else - no difference.

I considered buying the game because i think that it's great but if i have problems with demo I think I'll pass - at least for a month or two. Anybody had similar problems?

Gio9sig551
01-25-2011, 04:13 AM
I have a very strange problem with the demo.. The middle mouse button doesn't work.. I can't cast the first spell on me and i can't even try the game..
In all other applications the button work just fine..

CarbonDrake
05-26-2011, 02:40 PM
I'm having a very similar issue to the original poster. When I open the game through Steam, the screen briefly goes blank, like it was loading a game, before exiting the game and opening the Magicka store page, like I had exited the game myself.

I have the up-to-date .net framework and xna redistributable.
I'm on an Intel HD graphic set, with fully up-to-date drivers.

Any advice?

Buck90wl
05-26-2011, 03:37 PM
I'm having a very similar issue to the original poster. When I open the game through Steam, the screen briefly goes blank, like it was loading a game, before exiting the game and opening the Magicka store page, like I had exited the game myself.

I have the up-to-date .net framework and xna redistributable.
I'm on an Intel HD graphic set, with fully up-to-date drivers.

Any advice?

God-damnit. Intel Graphics cards are worse than Nvidia's GeForce 6xxx series, let alone the GeForce 8800.