PDA

View Full Version : Why, Why, WHY!?

PapaSmurf932
01-25-2011, 01:41 AM
a) Why does this game need such high specs to play? It's not like it's the most graphically impressive thing.
i can play it on lowest res and still lag a tiny tiny bit. This is a really annoying feature for people with low end computers like me.. it also doesn't help indie developers when a big chunk of their fan base are people without 'Rigs'

b) Why cant you remap the mouse buttons, and/or why cant i activate my controller?
The mouse wheel for my mouse seems to be completely f'd up for this game, it works normally.. but when i middle mouse click nothing happens. I read in the forums that a game-pad will help be very good for this game, so i tried it but nothing happened. I use a Microsoft 360 controller for Windows.

c) Why cant i change anything in-game? Control settings in-game would be a great feature and same with graphic settings. i had to keep restarting the start of the campaign and see that damn cut scene with the wizard in a hole.

Keep in mind, this is only with the demo. Though i was strongly intending to buy this game... but the above reasons have almost changed my mind. If anyone has any tips on how to make the game more playable for me, please help. Otherwise i'm going to have to give this one a miss.

Forsakensoul
01-25-2011, 01:54 AM
a) Why does this game need such high specs to play? It's not like it's the most graphically impressive thing.
i can play it on lowest res and still lag a tiny tiny bit. This is a really annoying feature for people with low end computers like me.. it also doesn't help indie developers when a big chunk of their fan base are people without 'Rigs'

b) Why cant you remap the mouse buttons, and/or why cant i activate my controller?
The mouse wheel for my mouse seems to be completely f'd up for this game, it works normally.. but when i middle mouse click nothing happens. I read in the forums that a game-pad will help be very good for this game, so i tried it but nothing happened. I use a Microsoft 360 controller for Windows.

c) Why cant i change anything in-game? Control settings in-game would be a great feature and same with graphic settings. i had to keep restarting the start of the campaign and see that damn cut scene with the wizard in a hole.

Keep in mind, this is only with the demo. Though i was strongly intending to buy this game... but the above reasons have almost changed my mind. If anyone has any tips on how to make the game more playable for me, please help. Otherwise i'm going to have to give this one a miss.

A: I have no answer.

B: In question B you have asked several questions. I will offer what suggestions/answers I have.

Make sure your middle mouse key is mapped to default. If you have mapped your middle mouse key to something else rather than default for a previous game, your middle mouse key will not register in Magicka.

As for the game pad... Do not make your starting menu selections with your mouse. If you start the game with your mouse, you will be locked into using keyboard/mouse when the game starts. To further explain my point, if you make your menu selections using your mouse, and then attempt to pick up your game pad when the game starts- it will not work. After the game launches, make sure you use your game pad to make all your initial menu selections!

C: I have no answer.

Paradox__rep
01-25-2011, 02:57 AM
Hi,

System requirements are actually not that high. What are your specs? might be some other problem?

As for key-remappning. Since the game is made in XNA it's a bit tricky to remap the keys freely.

The devs know about it and have it on their todo list.

/PDX

Deman
01-25-2011, 03:17 AM
lol those specs are not high. If you don't have a duo 2.0 than you can probably only play trackmania and half life 1.
Try disabling the aero effects on windows 7 and run in compatibles modes and stuff like that.

Also off topic, paradox rep, make an official community group, it will get you a bit more attention since official groups get tons of followers.

banished_one
01-25-2011, 03:19 AM
Magicka already has a official community group

http://steamcommunity.com/games/MagickaGame

Aucool
01-25-2011, 03:59 AM
CPU Intel Core 2 Duo da 2.0GHz, 4GB di RAM, Geforce 8400GS, HDD da 320GB

can play Crysis but non this ♥♥♥♥ lololol

Wertoret
01-25-2011, 04:14 AM
The gpu seems to be a bottleneck in this game and your gpu is a bit outdated

PapaSmurf932
01-25-2011, 10:39 AM
hey, thanks for the replies.

my specs are bad

Radeon X1300pro/X1550 Series
AMD athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
Vista 32b
2GB RAM

that's basically it off the top of my head.
Since my card is about a geforce 6800, i dont meet requirements.. though i really want to play this game, and since A.R.E.S (another game on steam) had similar requirements, and i can play that on full.. i though i'd try this.

any more help?

Telzen
01-25-2011, 11:07 AM
CPU Intel Core 2 Duo da 2.0GHz, 4GB di RAM, Geforce 8400GS, HDD da 320GB

can play Crysis but non this ♥♥♥♥ lololol

That's not even a card meant for gaming. I call bs on Crysis being playable on that.

Yvese
01-25-2011, 11:10 AM

my specs are bad

Vista 32b
2GB RAM

Since my card is about a geforce 6800, i dont meet requirements.. though i really want to play this game, and since A.R.E.S (another game on steam) had similar requirements, and i can play that on full.. i though i'd try this.

any more help?Honestly those specs are atleast 6-8 years old. It's not the devs problem if you don't meet the simple requirements, which are EXTREMELY low. The computers you can get at best buy are far beyond the requirements, let alone the computers THREE years ago.

captaincow
01-25-2011, 11:21 AM

my specs are bad

Vista 32b
2GB RAM

any more help?

sweet jesus man my toaster has better specs than that i think you need to upgrade

Void(null)
01-25-2011, 11:29 AM

The Textures may be low and giving off that torchlight/warcraft vibe but have you spent any time looking at the lighting or spell effects? Not something that is going to be very netbook friendly.

Also a GTX 7800 is a 6 year old graphics card thats so old its been deactivated. That being said I am seeing them on ebay for a whopping $20, needing an investment that I would hardly call worthy of the title of a Gaming "Rig."

PapaSmurf932
01-25-2011, 11:57 AM
Haha, your reactions really made me laugh but again it doesnt help my problem.
I could just upgrade but i havnt really had a need to till now. I can play TF2 and CSS just fine, and if i need any help i normally just lower setting or go to a different version of direct X.
The point is, My computer is old.. but Torchlight isnt, and i can play that on high. ARES just came out, and i can max that. Torchlight and this game seem to be very very similar games in both gameplay and graphics... why does this one have hugely higher graphics requirements?

fuerchter
01-25-2011, 12:02 PM
I thought this was about the system requirements not being in relation with the graphics but it has turned into a flame battle on those who have low specs. This actually reminds me of Super Meat Boy lagging on many peoples computers and what graphics does it have... :rolleyes:

2 examples which have lower system requirements:
mirrors edge
overlord 2

both are fully 3d not even isometric

H4ndy
01-25-2011, 12:24 PM
I have to say it's a bit hungry.
It runs pretty good on "medium" settings for the two options but laggs a bit on the outside world (tried only the demo so far).

If it's not getting worse, I'll gonna buy.

- Core i5 M520 2,4 GHz, 4GB RAM, Mob. Radeon 5650 1GB, Win7 x64 (and yes, this machine is running all games to date :P)

lime148
01-25-2011, 12:26 PM
both are fully 3d not even isometricThis just about sums up your knowledge of the matter for everyone else. I'd suggest stopping here before you make it worse.

fuerchter
01-25-2011, 12:32 PM
i don't know whats supposed to be "bad" about my post and what exactly i said which expressed my weak "knowledge" of the topic. obviously isometric games with graphics on that level aren't supposed to have such high system requirements...and the graphics of the 2 games i mentioned are better on every aspect

VirtualPal
01-25-2011, 12:40 PM
Given the publishers and devs comments and quick response it might be helpfull to wait a few days (and a few patches) and see how your performance is doing then. Some of your troubles may improve.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1730927

PapaSmurf932
01-25-2011, 12:54 PM
See, H4NDY's Graphics card is fine, can play games like L4D2 on MAX... What is the deal with this game being so damn hungry for my first born and my soul?

PapaSmurf932
01-25-2011, 01:02 PM
wait no, not my soul.. just my graphics card's soul

PhelanPKell
01-25-2011, 01:25 PM
See, H4NDY's Graphics card is fine, can play games like L4D2 on MAX... What is the deal with this game being so damn hungry for my first born and my soul?

Hey PapaSmurf, here's a few things to consider:

A) Technically, your system specs are a bit below the margin, which has already been addressed, but you still need to take it into consideration

B) Two games can look the exact same on every level, but the graphics engine they use, the coding language they're built off of, and the hidden little effects that we're not always aware of but help make everything look so much sexier all combine to effect the system requirements of one game to another.

C) This game is still a little bit in its infancy and, although I'm really glad it launched, it has done so with a few quirks.
In surfing these forums, you'll notice a variety of issues that almost no one is getting away from all of the possible issues.

I myself have a graphical issue where the ground does not render textures 99% of the time, and connecting to servers doesn't work 60-70% of the time.
And despite a plethora of responses across this little micro-community, thus far no suggestions have fixed my issue.

All of this being said, do I recommend the game? Yes.
Do I recommend you spend a few bucks on a moderate video card upgrade? Yes.

I hope all of this helps you on your journey through Magicka's beautiful world, and remember: Arcane and Healing don't mix. >.<

PapaSmurf932
01-25-2011, 01:31 PM
Hey PapaSmurf, here's a few things to consider:

A) Technically, your system specs are a bit below the margin, which has already been addressed, but you still need to take it into consideration

B) Two games can look the exact same on every level, but the graphics engine they use, the coding language they're built off of, and the hidden little effects that we're not always aware of but help make everything look so much sexier all combine to effect the system requirements of one game to another.

C) This game is still a little bit in its infancy and, although I'm really glad it launched, it has done so with a few quirks.
In surfing these forums, you'll notice a variety of issues that almost no one is getting away from all of the possible issues.

I myself have a graphical issue where the ground does not render textures 99% of the time, and connecting to servers doesn't work 60-70% of the time.
And despite a plethora of responses across this little micro-community, thus far no suggestions have fixed my issue.

All of this being said, do I recommend the game? Yes.
Do I recommend you spend a few bucks on a moderate video card upgrade? Yes.

I hope all of this helps you on your journey through Magicka's beautiful world, and remember: Arcane and Healing don't mix. >.<

hey, the only reason i dont just get a new graphics card is because my cpu will just hold it back, then i get a new cpu and my motherboard is basically a bit of cardboard with wires in it.
.... eventually i end up spending around 600-900 dollars on a new computer, and then a year later more games come out i cant play.
I simply cant afford anything lol...
i was really excited for this game, i was hoping for a good co-op diablo style game to come out since torchlight wasnt multiplayer.

i guess i will just have to wait for diablo 3, as even that game is playable for me it seems (on very low that is, but still).

swampfox1321
01-25-2011, 02:29 PM
No, its not because of the system specs. I have a Athlon X4 running 3.4ghz with 4gb of ram, a 5830hd graphics card and its still a little laggy. I really think the game is a bit too hungry...

frankvdg
01-25-2011, 02:47 PM
1 word,

shaders

dontbyvista
01-25-2011, 02:57 PM
I say optimization.

Yeah, the 8400GS isn't high end, but it can run a good amount of current-gen games at a playable frame rate and medium settings.

PhelanPKell
01-25-2011, 04:19 PM
hey, the only reason i dont just get a new graphics card is because my cpu will just hold it back, then i get a new cpu and my motherboard is basically a bit of cardboard with wires in it.
.... eventually i end up spending around 600-900 dollars on a new computer, and then a year later more games come out i cant play.

This is why I recommend a "MODERATE" upgrade. Too high of a jump and you'll overshoot what your CPU can make sufficient use of, and you will exceed what is really necessary to cover the hardware solution for the game.

Here is some reasoning for you Smurf:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=AMD+Athlon+64+X2+Dual+Core+3800 %2B

Keeping in mind that synthetic benchmarks are far from the be-all-end-all, your CPU averages around 1046 CPU marks in PassMark, whereas the Core 2 Duo 2Ghz averages around 1195 CPU Marks.

Relatively speaking, that's a reasonably close margin.

Now, the difference between your video card and the 7800 series they suggest, is that your card is literally capable of an average 1/3rd the throughput in shader ops, pixel and texture fill rate, and less than half the information throughput in memory bandwidth and vertex ops **With slight variations depending on which vid card you have, the 1300 or the 1500**(http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=497&card2=360).

Again, I've addressed that the game isn't perfect yet, but realistically speaking, a video card is both the logical upgrade, and a likely correction to some of your issues. The rest of the quirks will have to wait for Arrowhead and Paradox to correct them. :(

gingerbill
01-25-2011, 07:50 PM
That's not even a card meant for gaming. I call bs on Crysis being playable on that.

i'll join you on the call of BS on that . Havind said that this game needs some serious optimization

slingblade234
01-25-2011, 08:05 PM
HURPA DURP HAY GUYZ I DONT NO NOTHIN BOUT COMPUTAS BUT GAME A RUNS SO WHY DUSNT GAME B RUN!?

Foulplay
01-25-2011, 08:10 PM
i'll join you on the call of BS on that . Havind said that this game needs some serious optimization

I think he meant to say he can 'load' Crysis, rather than actually play it.

I hope he enjoys the start menu, coz anything after that is gonna melt his PC

min settings at low res arent anything to brag about!

nEmoGrinder
01-25-2011, 08:13 PM
Please stop bashing the poster, because as much as you want to badmouth his computer build and call bs on whatever you like, I'd like to call bs on

As for key-remappning. Since the game is made in XNA it's a bit tricky to remap the keys freely.

I have worked with XNA, and not only is key remapping very easy, there are tons of free code samples available online. The only reason why there would be a reason this is difficult is if the developers hardcoded the controls into the game, which is just bad practice.

Please don't cover for the developer's oversight in thinking people wouldn't want to be able to remap their keys.

As for sys requirements, they may need tweaking, but I wouldn't be able to say for sure since both my friends who were originally trying to get me to buy it to play with them can't get the game to be stable.

EDIT: for the record, I used to play crysis on my old rig, running a pentium 4 3.3GHz processor and an ATI X800pro. It was playable. Call of Duty MW ran perfectly on it at 60FPS on mid-high settings. Just because a game looks nice doesn't mean it needs the best graphics hardware, it's how efficiently the developers designed the game.

Riku98523
01-25-2011, 08:56 PM
Game stutters on my system with a gtx 460 and i7 without d3d overrider (cause it doesn't have triple buffering)

PapaSmurf932
01-26-2011, 12:18 AM
the fact that the game looks how it does, and that people are having issues with graphics stutters on high end computers is very strange. if it was a game where a million things happened on screen at once or if every element was extremely detailed.. i would understand entirely.
the fact of the matter is, a game with these graphics should never have to be so hungry for computer power when a game like Mirrors Edge, which i can play on med/high at 50 fps with small load times, is fast paced action and looks 1000 times more impressive graphics wise.