PDA

View Full Version : Are we nerds?

Rizzy_786
01-26-2011, 10:33 PM
I personally love Portal & i'm waiting for Portal 2. So are we (Portal fans) nerds :confused:?. The reason im asking this is because my friends call me a nerd just because i like Portal more than say TF2 or L4D. I also try to persuade my friends to buy Portal 2 so that we can play together but most of them would rather play TF2. Why are some hardcore shooter fans not interested in Portal?. It's an amazing & fun game. I think the reason they don't like it is because it has no guns to shoot people & it's a puzzle game which requires smart people imo. Also i guess it's kind of boring for some people (not me) too because it's pretty long & requires thinking. I guess most people would rather be pwning newbs in a multiplayer FPS game than to sit & figure out puzzles. Now i'm not saying hardcore games don't require thinking but really all you do is go around shooting people in the face which probably is fun for some people but not so much for me :). I love Portal & solving puzzles in it.

Leave thoughts please:)

Forsaken Bacon
01-26-2011, 10:50 PM
This was too hard to read

No I'm not dyslexic

DustArma
01-26-2011, 11:56 PM
Because not everyone is interested in the same stuff?

It has nothing to do with being long or requiring thinking, it has everything to do with people not liking that type of game in the first place, some people just don't like puzzle games.

Zekiran
01-27-2011, 12:09 AM
If they play video games they're nerds too. :)

Portal is a much more cerebral game than traditional shooters. It's more subtle, and takes some amount of effort to comprehend. Shooting... not so much. ;)

Relish being a nerd. Nerds rule the world.

Rizzy_786
01-27-2011, 12:18 AM

Portal is a much more cerebral game than traditional shooters. It's more subtle, and takes some amount of effort to comprehend. Shooting... not so much. ;)

Ha Yeh Thanx for the posts guys :).

slipperywhenwet
01-27-2011, 03:00 AM

HELL YES!

Boff
01-27-2011, 05:17 AM
i'm ready to get my geek on!

slipperywhenwet
01-27-2011, 05:57 AM
I'm far too obsessed. I've only been listening to Portal themed songs, I got a poster, I hope to get an Atlas shirt, I've practically been only playing Portal or mods for it, and my pc and phone wallpapers are Portal 2 themed...

Solarmech
01-27-2011, 06:17 AM

Triumph of the Nerds. Proof of what Zekiran says. :) sm

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2part_triumph-of-nerds-steve-jobs-bill-ga_tech

LiaCroft
01-27-2011, 06:21 AM
I'm far too obsessed. I've only been listening to Portal themed songs, I got a poster, I hope to get an Atlas shirt, I've practically been only playing Portal or mods for it, and my pc and phone wallpapers are Portal 2 themed...

Ahhh, then I am a specialized-portal-concentrated nerd. Fine by me... :cool:

Carnicide
01-27-2011, 06:43 AM
playing games does not make you a nerd, F♥♥♥, everyone plays games.

with the exception if you play Dwarf Fortress or Zork, you are indubitably a nerd.
(playing zork on black ops is not the same.)

slipperywhenwet
01-27-2011, 06:55 AM
playing games does not make you a nerd, F♥♥♥, everyone plays games.

with the exception if you play Dwarf Fortress or Zork, you are indubitably a nerd.
(playing zork on black ops is not the same.)

You're acting like being a nerd is a bad thing. I assure you it isn't. Media is not a good way to learn what a nerd is. And not everyone who plays games are nerds, you're right. But the ones who follow games from announcement to launch are.

Dared00
01-27-2011, 07:22 AM
Yes. We are nerds and we should be proud of it.

Nerds. F*** YEAH.

dontbyvista
01-27-2011, 08:59 AM
I'm a clerd.

A cool nerd. :cool:

:p

We aren't nerds due to the fact that we play "intelligent" or puzzle games as opposed to the "shoot-em-up" genre. They just have different tastes. Some people (like me) enjoy both, although I still prefer Portal to Team Fortress 2 for example.

skinlo
01-27-2011, 09:03 AM
I'm whatever I want to be, I don't feel the need to categorise myself into a certain group.

Monster_user
01-27-2011, 09:29 AM

I must disagree. I did not find Portal to be a cerebral game most of the time. Perhaps a couple of puzzles did attempt to be cerebral (Missles in office, GlaDOS).

Portal 1 seems to have been almost entirely a Tutorial level. I am hoping to see some real cerebral gameplay in Portal 2.

Something at least on par with the puzzles in Knights of the Old Republic, preferably more cerebral.

Pufje
01-27-2011, 10:10 AM
You can clearly tell whether you're a nerd or not.
Nerds are not very socially active and spend most of their time behind the screen.

I love portal (and some other games), and I'm really excited for this game to come out, but I clearly do have a life besides gaming.

I think the real nerds are those who play mindless shooters every day in and out. It clearly shows how they don't put their minds on anything bigger/complicater/better than shooting each other in the brain.

Now I'm not sure if valve-shooters count because valve does not only give us a platform to communicate on (steam) but also valve's shooters require some brain-work in order to achieve something, Left 4 dead is a good example of this and their are a big number of ways to play TF2 in a smarter way which makes victory easier.

In my vision, it's not you who is the nerd, it's you're friends because they are not open to any change of game.

Xebec
01-27-2011, 10:48 AM
Liking games doesn't exactly make you a nerd. It may have 10 years ago when not to many people were gamers but almost everyone is a gamer now.

Rizzy_786
01-27-2011, 12:05 PM

same here bro. im always watching Portal 2 gameplay videos, trailers & I keep replaying Portal 1 :D. Portal 2 is just so awesome.

GLaDOSv3.11
01-27-2011, 12:05 PM
There is no difference wether a person is a nerd or not. They all make test subjects...

OisinLoke
01-27-2011, 12:25 PM
You're a nerd if you're intelligent and like computers.

And liking Star Trek helps too.

freekkiller7
01-27-2011, 12:48 PM
You're a nerd if you're intelligent and like computers.

And liking Star Trek helps too.

So that means all people in my class are nerds? No wonder we're called the Leonardo class.

"Leonerdoes" :(

LiaCroft
01-27-2011, 01:38 PM
So that means all people in my class are nerds? No wonder we're called the Leonardo class.

"Leonerdoes" :(

Maybe "nerdism" is also an issue of time.

But in the 80's it was different:
Being a girl who does not even comprehent computers but actually LIKE doing things with computers was the highest ranking of being a nerd. (Or was it a geek? Does anyone remember when those specific denotations occured?). Well, it was the time when Billy G (Mr Gates) still wore his sneakers.

Hopefully today in the 21st century I wish that there are not only male nerds around here. :cool:;)

Ah! Leonardo was THE nerd of his time! :D

UruD'nial
01-27-2011, 01:52 PM
Are we not nerds? We are Devo!

michael89
01-27-2011, 01:54 PM
Well... I can speak english, so no.
i dont count myself as a nerd.

LiaCroft
01-27-2011, 02:04 PM
Are we not nerds? We are Devo!

Uhm, what is Devo?
As usual I am probably the only one not knowing what this is...

Well... I can speak english, so no.
i dont count myself as a nerd.

So speaking English excludes you of being a propable nerd? Where is the connection?

ddrkreature
01-27-2011, 02:50 PM
are we nerds? Some of us are.

Are we all geeks? Yes

Is portal awesome regardless? Is the answer to live, the universe, and everything 42?

081XxhephexX180
01-29-2011, 08:47 AM
Umm... I have like 6 different versions of Still Alive on my phone, does that make me a nerd? :confused:

GLaDOSv3.11
01-29-2011, 09:00 AM
Umm... I have like 6 different versions of Still Alive on my phone, does that make me a nerd? :confused:

Yes. Isn't that a good thing though? Nerds rule the world. Once I told someone I knew I was nerdy. She said that there were worst things to be than nerdy. My response was 'Yeah, but I can't think of anything better.'

081XxhephexX180
01-29-2011, 09:11 AM
Yes. Isn't that a good thing though? Nerds rule the world. Once I told someone I knew I was nerdy. She said that there were worst things to be than nerdy. My response was 'Yeah, but I can't think of anything better.'

♥♥♥♥♥ YEAHH!!

Nerds FTW :D

edit: ♥♥♥♥ is censored too?
look at the world we live in :rolleyes:

GLaDOSv3.11
01-29-2011, 06:18 PM
On the censoring of the queen mother of all swear words- apparently it IS censored.
On nerds being awesome- Anyone who doubts it shall suffer the effects of neurotoxin. And Thermal Discouragement.

Harry101
01-29-2011, 07:00 PM
I think I'm the king of the nerds; I've spent about 6 months on a 3D model of Wheatley. o_O

CWHunt456
01-29-2011, 07:29 PM
I think I'm the king of the nerds; I've spent about 6 months on a 3D model of Wheatley. o_O

I still totally look up to you all the way on that stuff! Amazing!

PowerfulGiraffe
01-29-2011, 08:51 PM
I personally love Portal & i'm waiting for Portal 2. So are we (Portal fans) nerds lol :confused:?. The reason im asking this is because my friends call me a nerd just because i like Portal more than say TF2 or L4D. I also try to persuade my friends to buy Portal 2 so that we can play together but most of them would rather play TF2. Why are some hardcore shooter fans not interested in Portal?. It's an amazing & fun game. I think the reason they don't like it is because it has no guns to shoot people & it's a puzzle game which requires smart people imo. Also i guess it's kind of boring for some people (not me) too because it's pretty long & requires thinking. I guess most people would rather be pwning newbs in a multiplayer FPS game than to sit & figure out puzzles. Now i'm not saying hardcore games don't require thinking but really all you do is go around shooting people in the face which probably is fun for some people but not so much for me :). I love Portal & solving puzzles in it.

Leave thoughts please:)Liking Puzzles does not make you a nerd, in fact, chicks dig a guy who can solve puzzles easily, it's called Swag.

slipperywhenwet
01-29-2011, 09:01 PM
Liking Puzzles does not make you a nerd, in fact, chicks dig a guy who can solve puzzles easily, it's called Swag.

This isn't about liking puzzles, its about us obsessing over games.

PowerfulGiraffe
01-29-2011, 09:22 PM
This isn't about liking puzzles, its about us obsessing over games.Well his post made it sound like he liked the puzzle/thinking aspect of the game, and people like that are the people who seem "chill"

You know, if some big buff dude comes up to you and insults you, and you say something extremely witty regarding the manner in which he has tied his shoes and any number of other inquisitive facts which embarrass him in front of all around, everyone all of a sudden goes "ooooohhh" and you come across as a quiet and smart "mysterious" and chill person, which all the girls want to know more about.

I know this from experience *raises eyebrows*

GLaDOSv3.11
01-29-2011, 10:16 PM
There are a few things that make you one of the highest nerd classes(the cool nerd- the nerds in the strange class almost all on their own) out there-
1st: Almost all of the nerdiest people like Brit Coms. It's true.
2nd: Blackadder. A Brit Com, but so essential to this high rank of nerd class that it needs it's own category. Brilliant and intelligent jokes by the esteemed Rowan Atkinson(a.k.a Mr. Bean) finds himself in undesirable settings and makes fun of it to the max. Even I must admit- There has NEVER been a snarkier character than Blackadder. Not even me.
3rd: Doctor Who. Brit Sci Fi masterpiece
4th: Love for smart jokes
5th: Survival of the wittiest
6th: Being a PC gamer
7th: Literature or math and science
8th: MST3K. Anyone here watch Mystery Science Theater 3000? It's one of the ultimate nerd shows.
9th: Liking cute robots(Wheatley, GLaDOS, R2-D2, Gir)
10th: WEIRD AL YANKOVIC...

michael89
01-30-2011, 01:18 AM
Uhm, what is Devo?
As usual I am probably the only one not knowing what this is...

So speaking English excludes you of being a propable nerd? Where is the connection?

I dont speak internet english. :)

TheoG
01-30-2011, 01:48 AM
My friend said he thinks I'm a gaming nerd because I play games other than Call of Duty, Battlefield and FIFA. I lol'ed.

slipperywhenwet
01-30-2011, 06:32 AM
My friend said he thinks I'm a gaming nerd because I play games other than Call of Duty, Battlefield and FIFA. I lol'ed.

Well, he's right. I don't see how people get it lodged in their heads that nerds = bad. They're playing generic war games and sports games that are literally rehashes of what they were last year, with one or two additions. We're playing games with continuous stories that we actually care about.

skiddlywibble
01-30-2011, 10:13 AM
I still have no idea what the difference between a geek and a nerd is, though I probably qualify for both.

EDIT:1st: Almost all of the nerdiest people like Brit Coms. It's true.

Does that count if you're British?

GLaDOSv3.11
01-30-2011, 11:01 AM
No, I suppose not!

LiaCroft
01-31-2011, 03:44 AM
I still have no idea what the difference between a geek and a nerd is, though I probably qualify for both.

As far as I know you can be a perfect nerd with out any technical support like computers and such. Geeks can't do without computers, they are wired that way...

FraggingAcid
01-31-2011, 04:40 AM
I cirtainly think i am... and i'd never change it for the world!

Monster_user
01-31-2011, 09:01 AM

As I understand it, a nerd is an individual with a lot of book knowledge for his/her age. They generally value knowledge above anything else, whether friends, or romance, or games etc. Because of this, nerds often have difficulty communicating. Nerds tend to communicate with those in the same field, and their terminology and humor are often specific to their field. Given their level of knowledge, nerds have often considered anyone who did not understand them to be inferior. Math, Chess, Chemistry, and Robotics are popular hobbies among nerds.

Geeks are individuals who are obsessed with, or just deeply interested in a particular hobby. This is more noticeable when the hobby is not mainstream, or "non-productive". Movie trivia, and computer gaming are popular hobbies for geeks.

So Nerd = Productivity oriented. Goal oriented. Superiority complex.

Geek = Fun oriented. Specializes in near useless knowledge.

envirovore
01-31-2011, 10:02 AM
As I understand it, a nerd is an individual with a lot of book knowledge for his/her age. They generally value knowledge above anything else, whether friends, or romance, or games etc. Because of this, nerds often have difficulty communicating. Nerds tend to communicate with those in the same field, and their terminology and humor are often specific to their field. Given their level of knowledge, nerds have often considered anyone who did not understand them to be inferior. Math, Chess, Chemistry, and Robotics are popular hobbies among nerds.

Geeks are individuals who are obsessed with, or just deeply interested in a particular hobby. This is more noticeable when the hobby is not mainstream, or "non-productive". Movie trivia, and computer gaming are popular hobbies for geeks.

So Nerd = Productivity oriented. Goal oriented. Superiority complex.

Geek = Fun oriented. Specializes in near useless knowledge.

Exactly.

My friend that is starting his masters in Applied Physics and Mathematics and has his own thesis on Time/Space Relations and Theory, who obsesses about chess, poly-rhythmic time signatures non stop, and is now working with a government agency in relation to Fusion projects is a NERD.

Geeks are those that are well versed (read, educated) in technology. Programmers, those that can mod anything, etc. (Said friend has also been using linux alone for the last 10 years, and can manually build his own Kernels). At least that's how I've always understood what a Geek is. I suppose it applies to anyone that's 'die hard' about a specific thing though (star wars geek, etc).

We are just Gamers. Game geeks if you must. But no, we are not nerds.

GLaDOSv3.11
01-31-2011, 10:15 AM
One of my friends once said "There is a thin line between sanity and insanity. I'm all the way over in the insanity doing a touchdown dance". That is nerdiness to the max.

SnowCanary
01-31-2011, 03:23 PM

Even Battlefield was considered "uncool"... until BC2. The old ones took too much skill for the CoD kids.

slipperywhenwet
01-31-2011, 03:36 PM
I'm a math nerd then... (is in Geometry 3 when most others are in Alegebra)

And I am also a Geek!

Still, neither are a bad thing by any means.

dest747
01-31-2011, 04:18 PM
There are a few things that make you one of the highest nerd classes(the cool nerd- the nerds in the strange class almost all on their own) out there-
1st: Almost all of the nerdiest people like Brit Coms. It's true.
2nd: Blackadder. A Brit Com, but so essential to this high rank of nerd class that it needs it's own category. Brilliant and intelligent jokes by the esteemed Rowan Atkinson(a.k.a Mr. Bean) finds himself in undesirable settings and makes fun of it to the max. Even I must admit- There has NEVER been a snarkier character than Blackadder. Not even me.
3rd: Doctor Who. Brit Sci Fi masterpiece
4th: Love for smart jokes
5th: Survival of the wittiest
6th: Being a PC gamer
7th: Literature or math and science
8th: MST3K. Anyone here watch Mystery Science Theater 3000? It's one of the ultimate nerd shows.
9th: Liking cute robots(Wheatley, GLaDOS, R2-D2, Gir)
10th: WEIRD AL YANKOVIC...

Where's Mythbusters?

PowerfulGiraffe
01-31-2011, 04:41 PM
Where's Mythbusters?nah, too mainstream, just give me some indie bands and an old thrift shop and I'm good to go.

GLaDOSv3.11
01-31-2011, 09:06 PM
Thrift shops are not for me.
Mythbusters is amazing. I can't believe I forgot to mention them. I shall have my Intelligence core rebooted for this!

LiaCroft
01-31-2011, 11:21 PM
Still, neither are a bad thing by any means.

Nobody asked if it is bad or good. It was just a question of being nerds or not.

Thrift shops are not for me.
Mythbusters is amazing. I can't believe I forgot to mention them. I shall have my Intelligence core rebooted for this!

More your Random Access Memory, I suppose. ;)

PowerfulGiraffe
02-01-2011, 10:17 AM
nobody saw Hipster comment?!! D:

envirovore
02-01-2011, 10:59 AM

/gets you a PBR and points you to your fixie bike and runs far away

hipster cooties...shudders

Monster_user
02-01-2011, 12:59 PM

I saw it, but didn't recognize it. To young to know what a hippie is, or what a "hipster" is (25 years old).

Could you point out the comment you are referring to?

PowerfulGiraffe
02-01-2011, 01:25 PM
I saw it, but didn't recognize it. To young to know what a hippie is, or what a "hipster" is (25 years old).

Could you point out the comment you are referring to?It's stupid really, My comment about thrift stores was referring to "Hipsters" which are totally different than Hippies. But it wasn't a very special post anyways. " http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hipster&defid=2705928 "

That is sort of a good explanation of what they are.
It's funny because I didn't know what Hipsters were until a few weeks ago and I found that my friend and I sort of act like them, but we aren't hipsters, we just have a few similarities to them (but I worry that some people think I am a hipster, I mean I don't like that sort of thing). Such as shopping at thrift stores, not liking really popular stuff, and listening to indie music, but I swear I only listen to it because I like it, I don't care if it ever goes mainstweam!

No way do hipsters listen to this(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwGnpIX1I0M&feature=related)

slipperywhenwet
02-01-2011, 02:14 PM
Nobody asked if it is bad or good. It was just a question of being nerds or not.

The way the OP was worded made it sound like he thought they were bad.

no00dylan
02-01-2011, 02:44 PM
*does nerdfighter symbol

NERDFIGHTERS!

GLaDOSv3.11
02-01-2011, 03:49 PM
More your Random Access Memory, I suppose. ;)
Cake is an essential testing apparatus that must be at perfect standards at all time.
Although there is a 99.999999999901% chance that one of the other cores tampered with it. I don't recall cake ever tasting good with sediment shaped sediment in it.

AKASNM
02-01-2011, 04:32 PM
We are all nerds. Everyone. Embrace it.

Xebec
02-01-2011, 08:49 PM
Give in to the nerdiness.

Menaus
02-01-2011, 11:50 PM
Its alright, as nerds, we get this song :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9qYF9DZPdw

Xebec
02-02-2011, 06:51 AM
Lol, finally a reason to be a nerd ;P