PDA

View Full Version : WoP 2?

Fozzy the bear
01-27-2011, 01:32 AM
From Anton Yudintsev, Gaijin Developer

First of all, I want to apologize for being silent for too long. We were busy with Apache, and, most important, we didn't want to tell community anything uncertain.

Although this is not announce, we would like to say that we are working on sequel of the game (new flight sim in World War II era).
We will incorporate mostly anticipated features, and take into consideration feedback from community about Wings of Prey - and, of course, we'll make a lot of new ideas.
Any official information, screenshots, demo-versions, etc will be released after official announce of the game - which, as we hope, should happen rather soon.
We have learned our lessons from working with other publishers, and this time we'll make sure that we'll be able to support community after release of the game - with DLCs or updates on all platforms.
Although we are going to release update for Wings of Prey, we also will support our loyal customers, and so we'll make a good bonus for them in upcoming sequel.

Stay tuned!

So if there is an announcement letter that there will be a WoP 2, what should it have or not have implemented? I'm curious what the Steam community thinks?

fearlessfrog
01-27-2011, 11:39 AM
They should play to their strengths, i.e:

- Smaller but beautiful graphics/landscapes. Utilize the latest PC hardware and make a really good looking game. Pacific Theater maybe this time, i.e. carriers, Guam etc

- Action-oriented rather than too Sim oriented. For success on Steam they need to broaden the genre a bit and offer a whole host of drop-in style MP/SP modes.

What they should change:

- Peer to Peer networking is common on consoles but fiddly to get stable/predictable on PC's (re: any Games for Windows server-less titles). A dedicated server option is a must.

- DRM/Piracy. If they feel that they won't make any money at all without activation online checks then just go the extra effort on Steam and integrate it properly here, i.e. use Steam Cloud, DLC, no additional activation checks. If they feel that their main market (Russia) is aggressively hacking steam DRM to the extent that it's not worth it then it might be better to just not publish here on Steam at all. I don't want to use Yuplay, either do a separate steam patched title or not.

- Modding, Mission Editing. There is a long tail of community involvement that comes from enthusiast, and mixing up free custom content along with paid additions is important.

For WoP2 they need to decide who they want to aim for and how they want to publish it better. A action-title that's attractive but dull or a sim-title that's simplistic is a no-man's land of no sales.

Also, they probably need to hire a more 'Western-savvy' community manager too - their communications have been a train-wreck so far.

Fozzy the bear
01-27-2011, 03:09 PM
Also, they probably need to hire a more 'Western-savvy' community manager too - their communications have been a train-wreck so far.

I agree with everything you said, except the part that you want less of a sim. But this above statement was the most important. I even mentioned on the Pooplay forums that it was a poor decision not to interact with your WoP Steam community. I even listed a few game developers like Bohemia, Tripwire that are proactive on this forum.

fearlessfrog
01-27-2011, 03:42 PM
I agree with everything you said, except the part that you want less of a sim. But this above statement was the most important. I even mentioned on the Pooplay forums that it was a poor decision not to interact with your WoP Steam community. I even listed a few game developers like Bohemia, Tripwire that are proactive on this forum.

For the sim part, it was more about what they are good at rather than what I personally want. I think it's sort of a chicken and egg problem that if they cater too much for what something like I would want (i.e. realism and fidelity over actions/graphics) then they will suffer in terms of mass sales on Steam. My comment was more a 'if they want a commercially successful game', which can then hopefully live on and get more optionally 'sim-my' over time, if that makes sense.

Fozzy the bear
01-27-2011, 07:53 PM
I personally would be happy if they at least doubled the size of the map and gave us dedicated servers so we could run 32 or even (a big hypothetical here) 64 players.

BasketCaseOIC
01-30-2011, 09:14 PM
I'm really not interested in any of their future games, if the game updates are dependent on Yuplay. It's just wrong to ask people to pay a monthly fee to download updates from the Yuplay site. Torrents are not a bad thing, but people who pay for a product deserve better.

I waited for Gaijin to update WoP through Steam before making the purchase. I would do the same for any of their sequels.