PDA

View Full Version : Magicka status report January 28th post patch #3

Paradox__rep
01-28-2011, 05:50 AM
(get the latest info about Magicka on twitter. (http://www.twitter.com/magickagame))

Hi everyone,

Thanks for playing!

Last night's patch (our 3rd one) took us three steps forward and one step back!

We've got fewer crash reports and people are reporting that it's easier to connect to games. Additionally we've got a player request implemented: server passwords!

See last nights patch notes for additional details. (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1734066)

But we're not happy yet. We've got another patch coming tonight. After that we're crunching all the way through the weekend before we deliver the biggest patch to date to steam on Monday the 31st. Steam doesn't work weekends otherwise you'd have patches on Saturday and Sunday as well.

So what about the step backwards. We're very sorry for this, as it's the last thing we need right now. See the recently updated "known issue" thread for detailed info but I wanted to highlight 2 problems.

Erased savegames - we've created savegames for chapter 1-12 in case this happens - see this thread (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20524676#post20524676)

Game without password requires you to enter password - This is because you scrolled in the server list. This accidentally offsets the selection so you aren't actually joining the game you think you are. This'll be fixed in tonights patch.

So we're slowly getting where we want to be - more the people are able to play and small improvements are being made. We promise to work hard to make sure the rest of the problems are sorted out as soon as possible.

As usual, help us out by being patient (small 7-man-team, working hard!) and report bugs/error reports here. (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1733577)

Let us know your thoughts!

Sincerely,

/Paradox and Arrowhead

acare84
01-28-2011, 05:56 AM
Thank you. Your support is really awesome, I hope we will see Steam Cloud too for savegames soon. :)

subenji
01-28-2011, 06:08 AM
I know you guys only just implemented server passwords, but it messes up friends connecting via game invites. They get disconnected with "invalid password" before they get an opportunity to enter one.

While asking for a password here is simple enough, I actually would suggest you scrap passwords altogether for the same solution used in L4D: "Friends-Only games". Games that would only show up in the server browser in the friends filter, or otherwise have to be invited to. No passwords required.

AluAlu
01-28-2011, 06:09 AM
very very nice
when you got rid of the desyncs, the major problem is fixed :O

Ezdaroth
01-28-2011, 06:10 AM
Just want to say thanks.

Your support is one of the best I've ever seen and even the biggest multi-million game studios should follow your example.

Bugs are never a good thing, however, being so transparent about your mistakes and constantly supplying us with information helps the people understand. I'm personally not mad at all.

If I bought a 60$ "AAA" game with horrible bugs and only got "We are working on it" response after a week, I'd be furious. That kind of stuff actually happens, a lot.

Again huge thanks to Arrowhead, great game and I wish you luck with tackling the nasty bugs :)

Arkle
01-28-2011, 06:12 AM
Just want to say thanks.

Your support is one of the best I've ever seen and even the biggest multi-million game studios should follow your example.

Bugs are never a good thing, however, being so transparent about your mistakes and constantly supplying us with information helps the people understand. I'm personally not mad at all.

If I bought a 60$ "AAA" game with horrible bugs and only got "We are working on it" response after a week, I'd be furious. That kind of stuff actually happens, a lot.

Again huge thanks to Arrowhead, great game and I wish you luck with tackling the nasty bugs :)

I was about to post a very similar response and you took the words right out of my mouth.

This is the main reason I love smaller developers, as well as a major reason why I bought the game. Hope to see more from the team in future.

Evolution12
01-28-2011, 06:16 AM
Oh man i cant wait to play this game online without bugs. I am looking forward to the monday's update :). This game would be on my "favourites" list if the bugs weren't there!

Paradox__rep
01-28-2011, 06:16 AM
we're gamers at heart as well. Posting and keeping players in the loop only seems natural. We wouldn't do any other way.

Thanks for your support and patience.

/pdx

Q-chan
01-28-2011, 06:20 AM
3 days 3 patches.. fastest devs I have seen. You guys are awesome. I have waited patiently for months before with no fix for certain games and right here we have awesome dudes making fixes every day.

Thx a lot and we will be waiting patiently for hopefully the ultimate fix on monday :D

WhatsHerFace
01-28-2011, 06:22 AM
Thank you thank you thank you very much for your hard work and dedication - over the weekend even! - for us. :)

Gemberkoekje
01-28-2011, 06:23 AM
Thank you thank you thank you very much for your hard work and dedication - over the weekend even! - for us. :)

quoted... umm... whats her face? for truth.

MessiaaH
01-28-2011, 06:31 AM
like i posted eslewhere, 2p tunngle coop works brilliant.
4p all hell breaks loose. cant wait to see this game runing properly on 4p.
Will tonight's patch offer any help in that regard?

SlimeFish
01-28-2011, 06:36 AM
Erased savegames - we've created savegames for chapter 1-12 in case this happens - see this thread (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20524676#post20524676)

Game without password requires you to enter password - This is because you scrolled in the server list. This accidentally offsets the selection so you aren't actually joining the game you think you are. This'll be fixed in tonights patch.

Craaapz xD
Oh well, thanks for the heads up!

DeMyztikX
01-28-2011, 06:40 AM
♥♥♥♥, thanks for this post. I thought it was Thursday. You guys saved my butt.

EDIT: Oh yeah, thanks for the hard work on the game too. I love it so far. I would love to see an expansion a fe months down the line with a new campaign and maybe toss in some inventory. Ever play Nox? If not, play it. Get some ideas. Start work on you're next Magicka title.

Rehevkor
01-28-2011, 06:46 AM
These guys are amazing. I'm buying this game right now.

Flakninja
01-28-2011, 06:48 AM
I'm sure you're already aware of this issue.

When trying to join a passworded game through steam friends it doesn't appear to work. Me and my friends have been trying to use steam friends to join games, as we only seem to be able to see each others servers on the server list if we refresh within less than a minute of the server going up, and then it seems to disappear. To get around that, we join through steam friends, but as I said before, if it's passworded, it doesn't work.

Cellander
01-28-2011, 07:08 AM
I'm sorry to hear about the bugs. But the support on this game seems to be huge. We are very thankful for your support!

slingblade234
01-28-2011, 07:09 AM
The communication from you guys is amazing. This kind of upfront, open and honest dialogue is so refreshing, and I wish it was more prevalent in the games development industry. Kudos to you Paradox and Arrowhead!

MessiaaH
01-28-2011, 07:13 AM
♥♥♥♥, thanks for this post. I thought it was Thursday. You guys saved my butt.

EDIT: Oh yeah, thanks for the hard work on the game too. I love it so far. I would love to see an expansion a fe months down the line with a new campaign and maybe toss in some inventory. Ever play Nox? If not, play it. Get some ideas. Start work on you're next Magicka title.

Whiles we're shooting ideas for expansion..
A bulletstorm type points to reward players for killing enemies with different spell combinations etc will be interesting. Prevents players from spamming the most powerful spell they can muster, and appreciate every last element :). Competing for highscore against fellow coopers in the process.

Lord_Gannondorf
01-28-2011, 07:25 AM
These guys are amazing. I'm buying this game right now.

+1

Had no intention to buy this game yet... or at all, really. This amount of support has convinced me to buy it right now.

wargarbler
01-28-2011, 07:35 AM
I'm just wondering if there is any work being done towards getting this game to work on integrated graphics chips. I was going to buy this game for me and three of my friends, but only the two of us with desktops can actually play it. I've been keeping up to date on the devs posts but I haven't seen anything about increasing the supported video cards. Just wondering, is anything being done in this direction?

Gemberkoekje
01-28-2011, 07:38 AM
I'm just wondering if there is any work being done towards getting this game to work on integrated graphics chips. I was going to buy this game for me and three of my friends, but only the two of us with desktops can actually play it. I've been keeping up to date on the devs posts but I haven't seen anything about increasing the supported video cards. Just wondering, is anything being done in this direction?

As far as I've read it's pretty much impossible because it's made in XNA. So you are not unlikely to be out of luck, unfortunately.

Still, it's a good excuse to go out and get another video card ;)

JMC002
01-28-2011, 07:46 AM
I have to say that the support for this game has been and is excellent. Keep up the great work!

Knightmr
01-28-2011, 07:50 AM
The patch made things worse in my eyes. At least before if you connected to a challenge, you wouldnt desync often... Now Every Challenge Desyncs and it never comes back. It's ♥♥♥♥ing desync city.

Also a new crash has emerged, near the zone in chapter 8 when entering the zone with the invisibility staff a flat out CTD occurs. There is still an unspeakable number of camera locks still. Chapter 3,4,6,8, etc. All still have camera lock.

Cutscenes still in many spots, and many crashes occur for smart people like myself who are trying to speed run the game. I managed to beat almost 8 chapters in one hour.... But seriously the number of crashes and stuck cutscenes caused by smart play is unacceptable.

In chapter 8 for example, the riverbed where two trolls spawn, just after the bridge battle, if you teleport past them, they will cause the next cutscene to freeze and you are rendered invincible, and your only option is to kill the game.

If you make it past that, in the dark mines, if you teleport north and bypass all fighting you will crash.

You guys should have hired someone like myself, even one man could have found 900 ways to crash the game.

wing40
01-28-2011, 07:54 AM
The patch made things worse in my eyes. At least before if you connected to a challenge, you wouldnt desync often... Now Every Challenge Desyncs and it never comes back. It's ♥♥♥♥ing desync city.
Yeah, the desync and lag continues to make it unplayable for me and my friends. We have never had any problems connecting to each other, but whenever we play people get desynced from the host and see things 20-30 seconds after they happen. It's not an internet connection issue because we are all talking on Skype at the time with no lag and we can play other games hosted between us with no problems.

Knightmr
01-28-2011, 08:30 AM
Oh and your save games are broken as well. The lack of things like corporealize make the chapter 12 save useless.

exchequer
01-28-2011, 08:40 AM

Also a new crash has emerged, near the zone in chapter 8 when entering the zone with the invisibility staff a flat out CTD occurs. There is still an unspeakable number of camera locks still. Chapter 3,4,6,8, etc. All still have camera lock.

Cutscenes still in many spots, and many crashes occur for smart people like myself who are trying to speed run the game. I managed to beat almost 8 chapters in one hour.... But seriously the number of crashes and stuck cutscenes caused by smart play is unacceptable.

In chapter 8 for example, the riverbed where two trolls spawn, just after the bridge battle, if you teleport past them, they will cause the next cutscene to freeze and you are rendered invincible, and your only option is to kill the game.

If you make it past that, in the dark mines, if you teleport north and bypass all fighting you will crash.

You guys should have hired someone like myself, even one man could have found 900 ways to crash the game.

You actually have to beat all enemies in an area to continue. Thats how the game works. I just did chapter 8 and only once I found the camera "stuck". The reason was a goblin archer that was standing just outside of the camera range. Some random beam killed him and I could continue:).

Knightmr
01-28-2011, 09:16 AM
You actually have to beat all enemies in an area to continue. Thats how the game works. I just did chapter 8 and only once I found the camera "stuck". The reason was a goblin archer that was standing just outside of the camera range. Some random beam killed him and I could continue:).

I get the point of the camera lock, it's the fact that the radius of enemies is often broken, alternatively sometimes a creature can be blown out of scene and trapped alive. Unfortunately Chapter 8 has one of the worst camera locks, where unless you explicitly kill 4 goblins in an obscure spot, you will be stuck every time.

Kilarai
01-28-2011, 09:36 AM
we're gamers at heart as well. Posting and keeping players in the loop only seems natural. We wouldn't do any other way.

Thanks for your support and patience.

/pdx

Oh, oh no.. It's inevitable, I feel it coming.. Oh jeez.. I.. Just.. Can't.. Ugh!

<3

There we go.
(No homo)

magius007
01-28-2011, 09:58 AM
A little disappointed they didn't mention anything about the "Authentication failed" a good deal of people are getting.

Also sorting the server screen to only show your friends games doesn't work at all, atleast my friends and I have not gotten it to work.

Also like another poster said if you try joining a game through Steams friends menu it doesn't even give you the chance to type in a password, it just says wrong password.

Tapewormz
01-28-2011, 10:01 AM
The Swedish Chef approves!

MessiaaH
01-28-2011, 10:01 AM
A little disappointed they didn't mention anything about the "Authentication failed" a good deal of people are getting.

Also sorting the server screen to only show your friends games doesn't work at all, atleast my friends and I have not gotten it to work.

Also like another poster said if you try joining a game through Steams friends menu it doesn't even give you the chance to type in a password, it just says wrong password.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1735274

Tjuhl
01-28-2011, 10:14 AM
I'd actually like you to NOT crunch. Take your weekend off, make a retrospective on monday what went wrong with the release (apparently code quality / bug issues?) and how you can prevent that of happening in the future.

Crunching it through and having demotivated developers won't help in the long run. (I hope) Everyone here appreciates your innovative and awesome game, recognizes that you are an indie developer consisting of not too many people and that you are willing and working for fixing the issues players were and are experiencing at the moment.

rspeed
01-28-2011, 10:28 AM
The support your putting into this is incredible. That's why I bought the game even though the demo barely worked for me, plus it's just an amazing game! Thankfully the full version works somewhat better for me. But I'll be sure to visit the issues thread with my crash report + system specs when it bugs out next. Don't feel obligated to work over the weekend though as a programmer/designer myself I know it's important to take time away from work. However I can understand the business side of getting it patched and ready to go, as you would likely see a large increase in sales if the game was on the verge of bug free.

Thanks again for the tremendousness of this game and it's support.

Zaggeh
01-28-2011, 10:36 AM
Wait a minute...

This game came out on January 25th (3 days ago). On the same day, you release an update that fixes over 20 bugs and improves performance. On the very next day you release another update that fixes 20 additional bugs and adds new features. On the NEXT day, you release yet ANOTHER update that fixes 18 additional bugs, adds more features, and addresses the majority of the known problems.

Then you make a post saying you're working on another patch for tonight, and will have an even bigger/better one ready to fire on Monday?

Y'all are awesome. <3

doomtack
01-28-2011, 10:46 AM
I'm thoroughly impressed by the effort put into the game as well as these patching efforts.
Bought it for myself and a friend...
Keep up the great work, these are the kind of devs I like to support :)

gup_
01-28-2011, 10:48 AM
I am amazed by the Arrowhead Studio staff! I'm sure you guys must be in a constant mind rush right now, super anxious as your game is selling like mad, yet so many fixes to work on!

Keep up the good work guys, we love and support you! You deserve praise for working this hard and keeping us up to date! :D

PS: shame that Steam doesn't offer a 4-pack deal for such games. D:

derFeef
01-28-2011, 10:53 AM
I just wish I could paly online with my friends ... at all. Lobby setting up is no problem but the connection hog and the desynchs are really a problem.

hellboybr
01-28-2011, 11:04 AM
Just one thing to say, YOU GUYS ARE AWSOME :D

Paradox__rep
01-28-2011, 11:04 AM
I just wish I could paly online with my friends ... at all. Lobby setting up is no problem but the connection hog and the desynchs are really a problem.

It's coming !

If the next patch doesn't do it for you try a 3rd party program like Hamachi to play until we fix it.

/Pdx & Arrowhead

Zaggeh
01-28-2011, 11:06 AM
Hamachi has helped me tremendously in the past with certain game issues, I would recommend it as well. But hopefully this next patch will fix the majority of the online issues. :-)

gruntenbur
01-28-2011, 11:25 AM
thanks paradox devs, for all the hard work already done
keep on going :D, fighto!

MessiaaH
01-28-2011, 11:51 AM
tunngle is another good option, i used both hamachi and tunngle.
Tunngle requires less configuration though. Install, Login, Join Channel.

Squirrel-San
01-28-2011, 01:06 PM
As it's been said many times throughout the forum and this thread, the support from this company is amazing. I hope that we see continued regular support once the initial bug-squashing phase is over. I don't feel too bad about making you guys work over the weekend since you'll no doubt sell games and just be able to spend our moneh later :D.

I'll be purchasing some time today!

wargarbler
01-28-2011, 10:13 PM
So since the paradox_rep has posted since I asked my question and didn't address it, I guess that means that certain laptop video cards are not going to be supported ever? Well that sucks I guess. :(

Mavi222
01-29-2011, 12:28 AM
hey Paradox__rep, I noticed that in Known Issues there is "Mouse outside screen in full screen with multiple monitors will minimize the game." .. this is pretty normal for every other game (if the game doesn't go fullscreen and disables the second/third monitors), and the guy who noticed this should use some 3rd party program to lock the mouse on just one monitor.. for example Mousejail, UltraMon, or other app for configuring multiple monitors :) .. atleast that's what I was doing when I had problems like that. :)

raphaeltata
01-29-2011, 12:38 AM
hey Paradox__rep, I noticed that in Known Issues there is "Mouse outside screen in full screen with multiple monitors will minimize the game." .. this is pretty normal for every other game (if the game doesn't go fullscreen and disables the second/third monitors), and the guy who noticed this should use some 3rd party program to lock the mouse on just one monitor.. for example Mousejail, UltraMon, or other app for configuring multiple monitors :) .. atleast that's what I was doing when I had problems like that. :)

Can you repost it there http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1733577 ? Doing this I think they can notice that.

Mavi222
01-29-2011, 02:17 AM
Can you repost it there http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1733577 ? Doing this I think they can notice that.

oh I didn't notice that there is a thread about it, my bad :( ..
reposted in that thread