PDA

View Full Version : Tips on how to increase framerate?

mbc
01-29-2011, 03:02 PM
Besides the obvious of going into options and lowering the visual quality, what are some ways you can improve framerate?

Pixelationist
01-29-2011, 03:08 PM
Get a new GPU... :D

No just kidding. Turning HBAO off seems to give a significant boost.

Donuts
01-29-2011, 03:17 PM
You answered your own question. What else can be said?

sean_blaik
01-29-2011, 03:25 PM
I have looked into this apart from a new CPU/GPU. This is what you can do.

You can delete the BFBC2 folder in your "My Documents", Then lunch the game again.
(you loose SP saves I think)

look in the Nvidia/ATI control panel etc, set to Lowest on the .exe (browse of it first)

put +fullproc in your steam lunch options or the .exe icon.

in task manager put to high priority (If your sound is acting out set it back to normal)

Defrag Often and all that clean up stuff

set your sound quality to the lowest CD quality ( win7 control panel, sound... pretty straight forward)

put your in-game sound quality to headphones.

I have a GTX 480 but only a dualcore CPU so my setting are as follows (Note <--)

WindowSettings]
Width=1600
Height=900
Fullscreen=true
RefreshRate=60
VSync=false
[Sound]
Quality=low <--
VoipEnable=true
SpeakerCount=2
[Graphics]
Effects=medium
Soldiers=medium
Vehicles=medium
Overgrowth=medium
Undergrowth=medium
StaticObjects=medium
Terrain=medium
Shadows=low <--
Bloom=false <--
HSAO=false <--
MSAA=0 <--
Water=medium
MainQuality=custom
Texture=medium
DxVersion=10
Aniso=0 <--
Detail=medium
RenderAheadLimit=0 <--
Fov=70

If you find anything else please can you post it

Also these are not my idea's they are all from the great people the steam and EA forum aswell as many otehrs

evonc
01-29-2011, 08:00 PM
The game is more CPU hungry than GPU hungry which is why it will be tough to get high fps unless u have a heavily oc'd core 2 quad at the minimum.

Mastershroom
01-30-2011, 12:40 AM
Besides the obvious of going into options and lowering the visual quality, what are some ways you can improve framerate?
What are your specs? There's only so much we can tell you without knowing what hardware you have.

Coturnix
01-30-2011, 01:24 AM
You answered your own question. What else can be said?

What a mistake. Badly maintaned system can make -10FPS without any problem. It is not question of the HW only.

All you need to know is here I beleive. At least it is best information source Ive seen for BC2. Respect to author.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1292343&highlight=Battlefield+Tweaks!

sean_blaik
01-30-2011, 03:30 AM
I can't remember were but didn't they do a test of BFBC2 with clock speed,

It matters about number of core more than clock speed?
think they they only gained about 1-5 Fps Oc'ing it, It will help I think keep your Fps i.e no big drops

AudioSlime17
01-30-2011, 05:14 AM
Use gamebooster. You could also try changing the DXversion.

mbc
01-30-2011, 07:17 AM
What are your specs? There's only so much we can tell you without knowing what hardware you have.

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz
2.99 GHz, 3.00 GB of RAM
nVidia GeForce GT 240

It runs most other games very well, I don't know why I have such a problem with this one.

Mastershroom
01-30-2011, 07:36 AM
2.99 GHz, 3.00 GB of RAM
nVidia GeForce GT 240

It runs most other games very well, I don't know why I have such a problem with this one.
Because you have a single core processor in a game that pretty much requires a quad core to run smoothly. Also, the GTS 240 is pretty mid-range, although at this point you are much more limited by your CPU than your graphics card.

Your first priority should be a new motherboard and CPU. Assuming you're using DDR2 memory, check out the Gigabyte GA-MA785GB-US2H motherboard; it's socket AM2/AM3 with DDR2 memory, and an AMD Phenom II x4 900-series processor. It's arguably one of the most cost-effective upgrades to quad core, at around $200 depending on which CPU you go with. I paid $220 for that motherboard and the 965 Black Edition.

Frankly, you're just not going to get good performance out of that computer. Even a dual core at 3.6GHz will have some lag and stutter.

<AvA>Duff5000
01-30-2011, 07:58 AM
^^ That pretty much sums it up. I would sell the ram to, ddr2 still gets some $$ 2nd hand now.

Ace Quat
01-30-2011, 10:08 AM
i can tell you why. because this
is a horribly outdated cpu (sorry to say this). before buying a new pc I had a p4 3ghz northwood ht cpu myself. and bc2 ran laggy @ very low settings and with high loading times at best! of course I could play other games like cod4mw1, fear and bf2 at highest details smoothly. but bc2 is an entirely different league in terms of system requirements, even dualcores may struggle trying to run it. I dont want to be the bearer of bad news but playing bc2 on your pc is a rather hopeless undertaking. if you got the money buy a completely new system, if not listen to mastershroom and invest in a new cpu/mobo in order to be able to play bc2 lagfree at least