PDA

View Full Version : How to remove a pesky virus

DOE_JOHN88
02-02-2011, 05:55 AM
Earlier today while downloading a mod for arma 2, I went and downloaded it off of megaupload and in the process (somehow) got a virus from the whole thing

little bastards name is antivirus.net, I cannot open task manager, reinstall windows, go on internet (posting from another computer) etc.

so any help on how to remove it would be great.

handi360
02-02-2011, 06:05 AM
Is that the one that keeps poping up saying you have a virus let us help you remove it or something like that?

If so try booting in safe mode and run anti virus stuff there.

dosbox
02-02-2011, 06:06 AM
Try http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Next time, don't run as an administrator if you're using Vista or Windows 7.

RainFox
02-02-2011, 06:51 AM
If you can't install an antivirus or run any other antimalware software on that PC and you don't want to format the HDD, try a CD bootable antivirus. You can google "Cd bootable antivirus". Many famous software companies have their own versions. Then you insert the CD, the system should boot from it and you'll be able to scan your HDD without entering Windows. If it doesn't boot from the CD, check your BIOS boot priority settings and set them them to check your CD/DVD drive first. For example, this site has a list of some of those antiviruses: http://www.techmixer.com/free-bootable-antivirus-rescue-cds-download-list/ Or simply google them.

By the way, some of those antiviruses can update their virus bases even if they're run from the CD. I guess it depends on your internet settings whether this function will be available or not.

zezzex
02-02-2011, 07:09 AM
little bastards name is antivirus.net, I cannot open task manager, reinstall windows, go on internet (posting from another computer) etc.

Of course you can reinstall windows. I don't believe there is any virus that can prevent you from reinstalling windows. I guess a virus could destroy your hard drive thus making it impossible. But you can always boot from your os install disk and format and install.

In fact, thats what you should do if malwarebytes isn't able to remove it.

madpistol
02-02-2011, 07:54 AM
Reinstalling Windows is always an option as long as you can get to your motherboard's bios and boot process. You cannot tell me that a virus will prevent you from reinstalling the OS.

02-02-2011, 08:19 AM
is that the rogue antivirus that pops up saying you have a virus on your system and then scans for anti virus programs on the net? had that :|, but was able to remove it.

1nterceptR
02-02-2011, 08:30 AM
I got rid of that on a friends PC using Spybot S&D (and maybe AVG).
I had to turn off system restore though before running Spybot though because the pesky blighter hides there and comes back otherwise.
You can turn system restore back on once it's gone.

borg_7_of_9
02-02-2011, 09:00 AM
What anti virus software where you using so we can avoid it :eek:

I would not use AVG, MSE is better...

Majesty of War
02-02-2011, 09:11 AM
format, reinstall windows.

Downloading executables from megaupload is hilarious.

notavirus.exe
02-02-2011, 09:27 AM
If so try booting in safe mode and run anti virus stuff there.

This....

Try http://www.malwarebytes.org/

...plus this...

would be the ideal place to start.

I've removed that virus at least a dozen times. Its not that big of a deal if you can get to safe mode.

Or with another pc download malwarebytes to a thumb drive. Then use safe mode (not with networking) on bad pc, run malwarebytes once using full scan. reboot back into safe mode with networking, update malwarebytes, run in quick scan. then, hopefully reboot normally with no problems.

Euphytose
02-02-2011, 02:53 PM
format, reinstall windows.

Downloading executables from megaupload is hilarious.

Depends on the source :D

Also a virus can be hidden in ANY filetype. :/

02-02-2011, 04:42 PM
Depends on the source :D

Also a virus can be hidden in ANY filetype. :/

not in .txt

wickedtech
02-02-2011, 04:45 PM
www.bleepingcomputer.com is a godsend regarding virus removal!

Here is a link to the guide to remove antivirus.net

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-antivirus-.net

Don't reload windows before following that guide!!

Good luck!

divine_skills
02-02-2011, 05:05 PM
Please tell me why?

Been running as adminstrator for 5 years without any security issues. The only screwups have been my own.

So what would a typical Windows-user, currently running admin benefit from your suggestion?

dosbox
02-02-2011, 05:22 PM
So what would a typical Windows-user, currently running admin benefit from your suggestion?

Assuming they're running IE (about 70% of users do), they will benefit from IE's protected mode.

Regardless of browser, they're less vulnerable to drive-by downloads. How? Because they'll be prompted to provide an administrator password before any program can be installed or change system files.

Of course this doesn't help if they go ahead and provide that password without thinking, but there's only so much you can do to protect people from themselves.

aplles
02-02-2011, 06:17 PM
Well viruses are never completely removed I think you should know. The virus probaly has screwed up a ton of crap so once you remove I would re install windows. But I suggest you download kaspersky Internet security to a USB plug it onto the infected pc while in safe mode and run a deep scan. A deep scan has to be configured in kaspersky settings btw. If that works partrition the USB after for safety. If that doesn't work you could boot to the windows 7 disc directly and install from there. OR as a second removal method run ubuntu Linux ( totally safe actually using it right now) run it from the disc and you can see everything from ubuntu on your hdd! Delete the virus from inside ubuntu. Good luck, tell me if I can help any further.

wickedtech
02-02-2011, 06:28 PM
Well viruses are never completely removed I think you should know. The virus probaly has screwed up a ton of crap so once you remove I would re install windows....

Are you kidding? Viruses are malicious applications. Most can be completely removed without any residual damage; at least in a windows environment.

aplles
02-02-2011, 07:26 PM
Are you kidding? Viruses are malicious applications. Most can be completely removed without any residual damage; at least in a windows environment.

The virus is like most of 'em it will attack anti virus engines to damage them, root it self in the windows kernel, damage drivers, infect files and become "a necessary part of the file". For example you can't launch steam without the .exe even if you have the dll.s needed. The virus may throw crap in-between code in the steam .exe Viruses can do that these days. Pretty scary lol