PDA

View Full Version : My internet will be shut down soon. Will sims 3 still work?

Rocket Royal
02-02-2011, 03:25 PM
I've found the sims to be enjoyable and I want to grab it, but I know games like portal require you to log into steam before it can work. I'm not going to try anything illegal like downloading a cracked version, but if I need to be connected I can't get it.

Khalistro
02-02-2011, 03:31 PM
As far as I know, any game can be played on steam as long as you have Steam running in offline mode.
Steam itself should ask if it should run in offline mode if it can't find any internet connection.
You can also try it by going to the menu Steam--> Go Offline
Oh, and The Sims 3 does not require an internet connection as well, the login is purely for the Sims Exchange and Store, but completely optional.

Rocket Royal
02-02-2011, 03:36 PM
I get a clear message on portal stating "this operation cannot be completed when steam is in offline mode."

Can I ask for a favor? Disconnect from the internet, go into offline mode, and try to run Sims 3. If it works, then I'll try it.

Princess Garnet
02-02-2011, 03:47 PM
I only had to use offline mode for Steam once when I took my PC to a friend's house without internet. The only game recall running during that time was Crysis, and it worked fine.

I did also run Sims 3 one time without internet and it worked fine too. Of course, this wasn't the Steam version (it was the Direct 2 Drive digital version), but it indicates the game itself doesn't require internet, so with Steam itself in offline mode, it should work.

Why don't you do the test you mentioned yourself (I don't mean that in a rude tone)? This will tell you firsthand if it'll work for you. In theory, yes, it should work as the game itself didn't need it for me. Will it work for you? Well, try and find out.

Rocket Royal
02-02-2011, 03:56 PM
Because I'm not going to unload the money on a game I wouldn't be able to play!

Perhaps I shouldn't buy it from steam then, make things less complicated.

Princess Garnet
02-02-2011, 04:11 PM
Oh, so you don't have the game yet.

Do you have other games you can test beyond Portal to see if offline mode works for you? If the game doesn't work, it's on Steam, not the game, as I tried it and that game does not require internet connections to start or remain running. However, offline mode worked for me. It's problematic for some.

Sleepyme
02-02-2011, 04:30 PM
I tested it for ya, I put Steam in Offline mode and disconnected my wireless adapter so no internet at all. Seemed to play just fine for me.

Desi
02-03-2011, 12:59 AM
I get a clear message on portal stating "this operation cannot be completed when steam is in offline mode."

Can I ask for a favor? Disconnect from the internet, go into offline mode, and try to run Sims 3. If it works, then I'll try it.
This is how it works with Steam: you must play a game at least once while connected to the internet, so what you do is play it, then tell Steam to go to offline mode, and never reconnect Steam again.

jon_infektion
02-03-2011, 02:59 AM
This is how it works with Steam: you must play a game at least once while connected to the internet, so what you do is play it, then tell Steam to go to offline mode, and never reconnect Steam again.

I was actually not aware of this. Was gonna say I've never had a problem running a game in offline mode I guess thats why

jp_rsardeto
02-03-2011, 07:25 AM
You have to use the "Remember my password/username" thingy in order to use offline mode.

Desi
02-03-2011, 02:22 PM
I was actually not aware of this. Was gonna say I've never had a problem running a game in offline mode I guess thats why

Yeah, the game needs to be authenticated online before you can play offline.