PDA

View Full Version : Is Two Worlds 2 Better Than the Original?

packersfan85
02-03-2011, 06:40 PM
In my eyes Two Worlds flat out sucked so is Two Worlds 2 any better

VampLena
02-03-2011, 07:52 PM
Im wondering this too, has anyone gotten it? Im a bit iffy on getting it given how the last one was. I did like TWs 1 but it was NOT worth full price. More like 19$ or less, heres to hoping TW 2 is worth it.

KyrenCross
02-03-2011, 09:24 PM
It is very well worth it. I've been playing the European Version and the gameplay is awesome. There are lots of things to do. The Fighting animation at first feels a little awkward, but once you learn more of the battle system then it gets pretty fluid.

The Multiplayer is also fun especially with friends. I just hope they add an additional patch to add more levels cause it seems lacking at the current ones. It's hard to level up unless you grind at the last map over and over again.

I was planning to buy the Steam version again cause I thought that the servers would be different. But I just checked and there are additional servers next to the european ones. ^_^

Sami69
02-04-2011, 04:05 AM
I agree its pretty good. Just to warn you guys the Eikronas (biggest island) is mostly sealed from sp players but it will be unlocked by expansion/s and who knows maybe they release some free stuff also. One fun killer in this game is that you cant really know how strong your foes are except getting beated by them, example: Savannah were you arrive after tutorial island as huge rhinos which look like theyd kill you with one shot but they are EASY and weak but hey whats that? Big ant!? 2 hits and i'm dead at level 7.

VampLena
02-04-2011, 06:36 AM
IGN only seems to have given it a 6, but they seem to have found alot of problems. It might be a fun game, but It doesnt sound like its worth $49.99, more like 29$

http://pc.ign.com/articles/114/1147797p2.html

Gvaz
02-04-2011, 06:19 PM
Two Worlds owned. Everything about it was funny. It was good because it was bad.

Two Worlds Two however is basically the devs going "well, i guess these things were bad *shuffles feet* lets try to be a bit more serious and make it more linear" while the product they came up with was more akin to a jock coming to a LARP with pots and pans for armor plating and going CAN I JOIN YOU GUYS, YOU LOOK LIKE YOURE HAVING FUN! and the whole situation is just incredibly awkward and embarrassing and everyone just stops LARPing and leaves him by himself.

robin95821
02-04-2011, 10:38 PM
in many ways it has improved but at the same time i will play the broke down frist one over this 1 any day a complete waste of 50 bucks

horse riding sucks id sooner just sprint my way to my next point
single player isnt as good map sucks so you get lost really easy

and i have come across a broke quest that will not allow me to move on to the next main quest line so im stuck
only multiplayer i do not mind is the city builder some what it could use more work
adventure mode was ok but not worth while

all around wait before you buy this game trust me or dont get it at all

greath
02-05-2011, 05:07 AM
Simple answer,NO. Its not bad and i had fun with it, but i miss the freedom from the first one. And the Last Chapter is very lame. I mean the setting is awesome, but it seems they had to finish development soon. :(

Whiterabbit01
02-05-2011, 06:30 AM
If you're not sure I'd wait a few months then you'll get it half price on Steam (for example, Mafia II, which was released about four months ago was sold via Steam for less then 5 ($7.50) over the Christmas period). unless it's a blockbuster like Call of duty, the price will drop pretty rapidly.

Comparing the latest version with the original, I'd say the new one wins hands down, but that's only my opinion and with only 10 hours of game play under my belt, I'd take it with a pinch of salt. I'm very disappointed with the locked parts of the island. They probably couldn't be bothered navmeshing the whole island so locked it off to single player users (like me).

Slxi
02-05-2011, 07:44 AM
Yes, it is better than the original. But I have a big problem with NPCs forcing me into random conversations that are completely irrelevant to the plot against my will.

That is my one largest gripe with this game. I am forced to listen to random NPC speeches that I can't walk away from. Neither can I kill said NPC so he never bothers my presence again.

It's only fifty bucks so anyone who enjoys the Action RPG genre should probably give it a go since the combat is ok, the standard plot, while not gripping, gives you a goal, and some of the witty comments are good for a chuckle.

Carmanen
02-05-2011, 12:29 PM
Imo, it's a lot better in every category you can imagine!:cool: Ok, i have only played the demo of the first game but that demo was already enough, i got bored in the demo so i have no interest to buy the first one. Technically and especially gameplay wise it was poorly designed, far from a quality title:p But the game was still oddly interesting so when Two Worlds II was released, i was interested but very cautious about it. I have read a couple of reviews and watched some videos and i took a risk by buying it from Steam and i can tell you that the game feels very different and the awkwardness is gone. I don't have time to write a long story but i found this comparison which pretty much sums it up that the sequel is far superior to the original:)

http://twoworldsvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Editorials.Detail&id=71

Scrooj
02-06-2011, 03:57 AM
I only played the first one for a couple hours because the SP didn't hook me and the MP was too laggy.

I played this one all day today with my mate and I strongly recommend this game to anyone interested in playing coop with friends - it's a very good game.

eagleFMJ
02-06-2011, 06:24 AM
IGN only seems to have given it a 6, but they seem to have found alot of problems. It might be a fun game, but It doesnt sound like its worth $49.99, more like 29$

http://pc.ign.com/articles/114/1147797p2.html

LOL IGN, you mean you actually believe their reviews?

You obviously haven't been gaming a long time, any hardcore gamer knows IGN has the worst game reviewers, in short IGN sucks!

I mean just looks at the comments at the bottom of the the first review page, nuff said. Look through a few pages of user comments. The reviewer basically bashed the hell out of the game, infact IGN & G4 (another clan of idiots) gave this game the lowest score of all the reviewers.

Go look around at some other reviews on IGN lol, I am sure they have bashed some games you like at one time or another.

Sure there are bad games that deserve bad reviews, but there are many games they review that aren't that bad at all some are even great in our eyes, they just suck at reviews period and have a track record of bashing many decent/great games.

I have never played this game series and I am not taking up for it, but simply pointing out that, IGN reviews are worth nothing and are quite laughable at times. You are better off looking on at gamespot, worthplaying, or even gametrailers.com. I might buy this game not sure yet, but I will not take IGN's word for it, ever.

In the end the only opinion that matters is your own, however we do not like to waste money on broke/boring games. Personally I don't even take what paid reviewers say to heart, I listen to people that play the game, as most of the time they are speaking with real purpose. One person says it's bad because of this, another says its great because of that, I analyze all these opinions then make a decision whether to buy of not.

eagle

Johnster1
02-06-2011, 07:45 AM
In my eyes Two Worlds flat out sucked so is Two Worlds 2 any better

Two Worlds sucked so much ♥♥♥ that it couldn't get any worse. Of course the second game's gonna be better ^_^

Maceox
02-06-2011, 08:22 AM
My favorie RPG of all time is Gothic 2. This is nowhere as good, but for the first three hours I am having a blast.

TheMysterD
02-06-2011, 08:46 AM
Desslock gave Two Worlds 2 PC a 82%. (http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/02/04/two-worlds-2-review/)

I have the Euro version of 2W2 PC - thanks Gogamer! Yeah, it's MAJOR, MAJOR improvement over the original in just about EVERY single regard - technical performance, story, voice-acting, dialogue, writing, gameplay, combat, etc.

My old single-core rig is running it great w/ most stuff ON or MAXED OUT - framerates of always 30+.

My biggest complaint - the voice-acting just isn't stellar. It's good enough, though - it's just there isn't any amazing stand-out or mind-blowing. The voice-acting is not on the level of say Mass Effect 2.

The game does hold your hand and have lots of cut-scenes and teach you all the gameplay aspects for the first two hours to get you to get into the story and let you see what kind of style and skills you want to aim for.

Once the tutorial's over, though - you're free to roam many parts of the world and do your thing.

The crafting and upgrading of magic, weapons, armor, items, etc is awesome. It's a lot like Hellgate's - except you can even improve whatever your magic's effects, power, abilities, etc. It's as if the magic has sockets now. So, your magic can be VERY customized. My fireball skill might be much different than yours - i.e. your fireball could do triple-damage, while mine might have ricochet effects.

Anything can be broken down to their parts - i.e. broke down a sword, you'll get iron or steel; break down a mace, you'll get wood. Use these pieces and assemble something else or improve an object (Armor, weapons, etc) you have already.

x_rast_x
02-06-2011, 04:41 PM
I never played the original. I'm about 20 hours in TW2 though and feel qualified to give some comments.

It's a good free-roamer RPG. It's not great - it's really, really obvious it was pushed out the door before it was quite ready, it's missing that certain 'polish' people have come to expect from games.

What's good:
- Open-ended gameplay. Lots of room to run around, I'm not even off the first island (after the tutorial) and I've still got plenty of stuff to do.
- Teleports (to teleport stones, from anywhere you have a clear LOS to the sky) give the convenience of fast travel without overdoing it like Oblivion did.
- Voice acting is passably decent.
- DX 10 graphics are gorgeous if your GPU can handle it. My GTX 295 runs smooth w/ antialaising off at 1920x1200, max draw distance & other effects.
- The magic system is really good. You craft your own spells from a bunch of components that you buy or find.
- You can craft your gear to upgrade it. It's based on your skills and you have to deconstruct loads of loot once your crafting skills get high enough to keep up, but highly upgraded gear is very good.

What's bad:
- Motion blur is way overdone and unavoidable (I still get it when running even with the corresponding graphics setting turned down to zero)
- The difficulty doesn't seem to scale well. I got my ♥♥♥ kicked by everything up until about level 10, now I barely take any damage at all and kill almost everything in, at most, 3 hits, barring some arena bosses.
- The subtitles are really bad. Hilariously bad, actually.
- The UI is unwieldy and not explained well. Once you get the hang of it, it's not so bad. Selling a lot of stuff at once still takes forever, though.
- Some crafting materials are much more common than others. You get tons of iron, steel, and wood, but not much leather, fabric, or chain. The overall effect is that it's a struggle to keep armor fully upgraded because you just don't see that much material you need for it, while upgrading weapons is a cinch. It just feels unbalanced.
- You don't start with every skill, and you can't train a skill until you find or buy the skillbook. Unless you know exactly where to go from the beginning playing anything but a melee character is really rough because you lack critical skills and need to progress a fair bit into the game before you can obtain them easily.

Overall if you're a fan of these kinds of games I'd say it's worth picking up. It's not at the level of Oblivion, or even Morrowind, but still worthwhile. There's no 'official' editor but there's already mods out for it.

M4nkoRid3r
02-07-2011, 02:54 AM
Just as bad as the first imo, but in different areas.

Vizm Vaulg
02-09-2011, 03:12 AM
I'm seriously enjoying this game. Beautifully rendered. Runs great. Smooth as silk. No Crashes. No bugs. Animations are very good. Once you get used to the interactive and combat system it's pretty good and I dig how they did the horses. And the Crafting "rocks." Very cool. This game def has potential.

All in all I give the game an 8 of 10. What the game does well far overshadows the flaws. It's fun.

CenturyChild
02-09-2011, 08:36 PM
So far Im enjoying, but just out of the tutorial stage, which oddly was about a 2hr ordeal.
If thats any indication of the game length itself, it should be a nice long game to enjoy for a awhile.

At any count, I can not say much as Ive not seen muich of the game, but from what I have seen, looks like it will be good.
Quite enjoyable for me so far. Looking forward to getting further into it. :)

I would say YES, better than the 1st by far, at least in my book.
I mean the first was so bad, I decided it wasnt worth playing before 2hrs of gametime.

The animation when in dialog are a bit stiff looking and odd at times. But kinda got used to it after a bit.

As others have mentioned, just dont expect the quality of voice acting to be like Fallout/Mass Effect/ or Dragon Age.

Its not that good, but it isnt bad either. Its actually decent.

Simbosan
02-09-2011, 10:56 PM
The first was bad, often so bad that I was laughing at it, but somehow I ended up laughing with it. The second I think tries to be a bit funny, but it totally fails. All they manage is to make the guy go HURR HURR HURR when he kills something... er... yah, real funny.

It looks great, seems mostly bug free. Just lacking in the magical touch that makes you feel like you are in a new world. In other words... meh. I think I enjoyed the first one more, but it's not bad as such.

Combat is just left click spam in spite of what they say, either you slaughter it, or it slaughters you. Beat up rhinos, two or three whacks with a short sword... no problem. Take over a minute to kill an ant with a flaming bow...

I think the magic system might be the star, I am playing warrior style but the magic does look very good assuming it really works.

S

sjacob164
02-10-2011, 02:16 AM
This game is actually quite good. It will be better enjoyed by an intelligent player. Magic is definitely the star of this game.

You can make thousands of custom magic spells.For example you can shoot twenty golems out of your staff. You can make insane aoes. You can make stone walls,force-fields, you name it.This game has cool ideas that actually work well.

Someone who needs his hand held and doesnt like to figure alot out on his own will not do well with this game.Resistances play a huge role in this game. The enemies are not inbalanced they just have different resistances.

Fluke
02-11-2011, 08:25 PM
Here's an honest opinions being a fan of the first game.

- The game was sold off to lots of people as a great successor. It isn't. And not for the same reasons as the first one. TW1 downfall was probably mostly technical, this one is just a thoughtless cheap budgeted game.

- GUI's are totally horrible. Yippe I can see BIGGER weapons and items in my inventory. It's pathetic and totally misses the point of what an RPG needs in terms of GUI. TW1 had thought behind the gui, this one doesn't. I'd say the interface was made for a kid, but I'd be putting down kids.

- Quest indicators etc. Total and absolute garbage. You have no idea where you are going and you feel confined all the time.

- Voice acting, shameful and at times pathetic. My god I think the paid voice actors in this game like $10 per character dialogue.

- Game play. Lousy AI scaling, major hack and slash "what the hell am i doing, type fighting". All of a sudden you go from a weakinling to a guy who looks not much different that is immune to metal swords hitting him.

- Tutorial. Non-existent. That would have cost them money.

If you were like me, bought TW1 updated it current and enjoyed the game. This is a totally different story and I don't mean the story in the game. This game is nothing but cheap tactics marketing and total BS interviews and one cheap followup. This is less than half the game that TW1 in so many ways it's pathetic.

I'll finish it because it cost me $50 but I doubt I will play anything other than the SP. I didn't care for MP in this game in the first place. I was looking for a decent RPG, thought this was going to be good.

I'll remember who made this and remember better caution the next time I think of buying another one of their games. For shame!