PDA

View Full Version : Complete DLC Pack

Energo
02-04-2011, 01:19 PM
Maybe I don't understand something but when I check the bottom of all DLCs there is a total of about 2000USD and when I check the Complete DLC Pack it states that it would cost 1000USD if sold individually item by item. Where is an error? They did not included something on 1000USD or there is and error at Steam countings?

kijib
02-04-2011, 07:13 PM
epic fail why do you care?
this game is hoirrible and i cant imagine anyone buying dlc for it

Theblob76
02-04-2011, 07:45 PM

Wow. Obvious troll is obvious. :p

Gunloon
02-04-2011, 07:50 PM

Gee, for some reason my Troll-O-Meter just pegged out.

Beakie
02-04-2011, 08:30 PM

Guess the guy has a bad case of Wheelslip and he's fresh out of sand....

Just remember if ya feed the trolls. Someone has to change their Diapers....

Beakie

Zombiemonk
02-04-2011, 08:40 PM
Wow. Obvious troll is obvious. :p

Yeah, because there is no one on the planet who could possibly not love playing with computer trains on your monitor. It's such an amazing game that it's impossible for even one odd person to find ridiculous.

RYO_91
02-04-2011, 08:50 PM

i dont think this game is made for the kind of gaming youre used to, mine also, but i have to say that they are out of their minds with that price

Toldrabald
02-04-2011, 09:54 PM
For all non-railworkers please read our fine introduction to DLCs in the stickied thread (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1384098). If you're still up for trolling you're welcome to do so somewhere else :p

RYO_91: actually this is a pretty good deal, I mean where else can you save 500$ when shopping? The bundled price is still high, but for a really interested newcomer to RW (as neither of you seem to be) it is a very good deal.
Oh boy I've done it again... Guys will you ever stop me from feeding em? And please stop doing it yourselfs ;)

sirflimflam
02-04-2011, 10:19 PM
Hol-e-crap.

I saw this deal on the front page and just had to find the game that had $1000 worth of DLC. I'm sure every game studio these days hope to be like these guys.

I'm not knocking the game since I've never played it before, but $1000 worth of DLC seems absurd. (Again, not knocking the game or anything. I've just never seen something like this before)

Theblob76
02-04-2011, 10:48 PM
It's the simulator genre. Pretty much every simulator you find has DLC. This looks like it has a lot because it's all in one central location, but if you look at something like Flight Simulator, there's many thousands of dollars of DLC.

Want proof, PMDG (http://www.precisionmanuals.com/) anyone?

Energo
02-04-2011, 11:11 PM
Wow... I was not expecting such powerful reaction... And after all my question was not even "touched" :)

Energo
02-04-2011, 11:22 PM
Ops... Now I see the total price ~1082USD Something strange is going there with DLC price calculations :)

arizonachris
02-05-2011, 12:50 AM

And why should you care, except as noted to FAIL at trolling! Far be it for your juvenile mind to understand what a simulator is anyways. Go back under your bridge.

arizonachris
02-05-2011, 12:54 AM
Yeah, because there is no one on the planet who could possibly not love playing with computer trains on your monitor. It's such an amazing game that it's impossible for even one odd person to find ridiculous.

I don't see how you got any Rep points at all, what with insulting people just because they happen to like a simulator that you don't care for. Go join your other little troll friends under the bridge. :mad:

Energo
02-05-2011, 08:00 AM
Oh... I would never start this thread if I know it will look like that :)
We all know here are a lot of children and adults who play GAMES and Steam is 90% for games, not for simulators. So you must excuse in advance people who don't understand what is it and "why". Sure they are shocked with the price but they don't even know what is it. It is like if you'll try to explain some mp3 lover why you've spent 50 USD on DVD-Audio disk with 15 tracks on it and have a special system that can play DVD-Audio... Different circles of life and they sometimes even don't cross :) Sorry for my bad english.

arizonachris
02-05-2011, 08:16 AM
It's no reflection on you, Energo. These "troll attacks" happen when RW puts up any kind of sale or promotes new products. Usually it's "you're clogging up the Steam Store page with all your stupid DLC" And of course, "why so much/ why so expensive for a stupid train game?"

Yah, I guess I do feed them a little. But I'm not changing their diapers. :D

Ragnokak
02-05-2011, 08:21 AM
I normally like to feed them until they blow up and then laugh at their emo-nerdrage.

boilerbill
02-05-2011, 10:47 AM
Hol-e-crap.

I'm not knocking the game since I've never played it before, but $1000 worth of DLC seems absurd. (Again, not knocking the game or anything. I've just never seen something like this before)

I guess you've never heard of aviation simulations, then. The amount of DLC that is available for FS9 or FSX makes railsimming seem like small potatoes. If you bought every aircraft, every scenery package, and every utility package you could easily spend tens of thousands of dollars. And that doesn't even count the hardware! Some guys spend more thousands building cockpit replicas.

What I don't understand is why people feel the need to mock others for their hobbies. To each his own. I don't like multi-player role-playing games, but I know many others do. So I say, good for them!

So just ignore the immature trolls that put down what we like to do. They often make their inflammatory comments just to see how much of a rise they can get.

Beakie
02-05-2011, 11:15 AM
Oh... I would never start this thread if I know it will look like that :)
We all know here are a lot of children and adults who play GAMES and Steam is 90% for games, not for simulators. So you must excuse in advance people who don't understand what is it and "why". Sure they are shocked with the price but they don't even know what is it. It is like if you'll try to explain some mp3 lover why you've spent 50 USD on DVD-Audio disk with 15 tracks on it and have a special system that can play DVD-Audio... Different circles of life and they sometimes even don't cross :) Sorry for my bad english.

Energo

Don't worry about the thread. They either get it, or they don't.....

Beakie

Ragnokak
02-05-2011, 11:54 AM
Energo

Don't worry about the thread. They either get it, or they don't.....

Beakie

...And if they don't get it, they aren't meant to.

mriguy
02-05-2011, 12:55 PM
Hmmm, this package averages out to $3.10 per train. If you get a year's worth of gameplay out of these, that it not too bad, when you consider that typical MMO subscription is about $180/year.

For the record I still think that the normal RW DLC prices are too high. I wonder how much more successful RW DLC would be if they moved the prices permanently to this $3 level. They could make up the difference in quantity. I picked up RW during the holiday sale, the price was too good to pass up. I do appreciate some of the recent free packages being offered. Even though $200 is a lot of money for the casual sim fan, I hope they sell a lot and maybe take a look at adjusting their price points in the future.

MattMock
02-06-2011, 12:37 AM
I think it is good that highly nitch games can survive by charging higher prices. One of the problems with TV is that a superdevoted fan is worth about the same to advertisers as a mild fan. Some of my favorite shows (firefly for ex.) got canceled because a small number of devoted fans couldn't support the show. If it had been pay TV, like boxing or mma, then a higher price could have made up for the low volume.

jon_infektion
02-06-2011, 04:55 AM
So this is actually not an error and there actually is $1073.35 worth of DLC, the sale is -$873.36, and that comes to $199.99? I'm not intending to troll or anything this is just a curiosity type thing because it would genuinely look like an error to someone that isn't familiar with this series. I'm not knocking it as I'm sure there's a market for this kinda game but I can't see paying the regular price for even my favorite genre.

MattMock makes an interesting point with Firefly

drivebyhobo
02-06-2011, 05:48 AM
OpenBVE > paying for this crap.

Matthew94
02-06-2011, 05:20 PM
what i love is how with 78% off its still more than the valve complete pack and hasnt even reached the top 10 of steam sellers.

{Yotsuba}
02-06-2011, 06:33 PM
As I've said elsewhere, this sale would have been so much more successful if several themed packs had been offered instead of this large pack. Making packs catering towards steam, diesel, electric, passenger, freight, etc., would almost certainly have sold better.

I won't be buying the complete pack, not because of the price, but because I couldn't care less about most of the content.

As for the OPs observation about pricing errors, this is just a quirk of the Steam store. Take the current weekend deal for example.

The store page lists the complete price of the pack as 39.97 but in reality, the price is 59.95. Not to mention that the saving of 3.97 is just completely incorrect. The store's been like this pretty much forever and Valve have never fixed it.

ImBack87
02-06-2011, 11:23 PM
The fact that the devs have put out some much DLC suggests that people actually buy this stuff. Go figure

Out of curiosity, do you simply operate a train going from point A to point B or is there some sort of long term task/challenge in the game?

Ragnokak
02-07-2011, 12:27 AM
It's basically going from point to point, but that task in and of itself is a challenge. Maintaining speed, braking (Train, Locomotive, and Dynamic), steam generation, amperage's, boiler pressures, wheel spin, schedule's, comfort levels, refueling, loading items onto wagons...

Beyond that you have freight runs that involve the physics of moving huge amounts of weight and the challenges that brings. Let's just say pulling 100 cars of coal over a 3% mountain ridge in a steam engine on frozen rails is NOT for the faint of heart.

Then there is passenger runs. Here your under the pressure of strict timelines and getting people on and off without tossing them around the cabins. These runs can be anything from short night runs in the snow to 10+ stop runs in clear weather.

Lastly you have shunting. Shunting is the act of combining cars into consist (a row of wagons coupled together and pulled/pushed by an engine/s). A lot of time this involves some good puzzle skills. As in a yard with 50+ lines running through it, having to shuffle cars around to get them in correct order takes a lot of planning.

Then you add to that the hobbyist's like our parents and grandparent that enjoyed building model trains. It is a very similar medium to them but instead of physical items they build with their hands, they have virtual items then build with their heads. Both offer their plus' and minus' and you'll find many do both. With Railworks your not just given something to play, your given something to create as well. Not only are you encouraged to build content yourself, but there is a very large community around the world that shares the content.

As for long term goals, atm no. Everything is broken into Scenario's and are, for the most part, whole unto themselves. There are a few 3rd party designers that will make their Scenario's episodic in that Scenario 1 leads into Scenario 2... Career Scenario's are pretty much like a normal Scenario except for the fact they are scored. There is a large clamoring amongst the community for something more long term, but as of yet there are no real signs of that style being added. Here is hoping though.

And again, it has to be said, people have to get out of the narrow minded thinking that you have to own 100% of Railworks if you own any of it. You get what you want and nothing more. The game itself is 100% complete as itself and offers hours of repeat play. I do not like shunting and have never purchased any; I don't miss not having it in the least.

The simplest way to put this:
This is NOT a game.
This IS a simulator.
The rules of content are not the same.

mriguy
02-07-2011, 02:21 AM
As I've said elsewhere, this sale would have been so much more successful if several themed packs had been offered instead of this large pack. Making packs catering towards steam, diesel, electric, passenger, freight, etc., would almost certainly have sold better.

I agree. A themed sale would be much better. I am only interested in older steam engines and any associated cars, buildings and scenarios associates with that time period. I have no interest in electric or diesel engines. A smaller themed package in the $15-$25 range would be much more affordable to the casual sim gamer.

LupinMupin
02-07-2011, 06:51 AM
overpriced as hell

Ragnokak
02-07-2011, 10:50 AM
Actually quite the opposite if you compare it to model trains.

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/HO-Scale-Train-Sets-s/334.htm

Having a job helps too.

If I were to build and purchase every piece of content that RW2 has to offer for an HO scale train, it would be about 10X the cost as RW2 with all the content at FULL price. Not to mention the trains themselves, as HO model's only have about 1/3 of the details that RW2 models have. Most of the RW2 models are accurate down to the bolts and rivet's. RW2 Engine models are very easily referred to as art and often beautiful. Flying Scotsman is a prime example.

That doesn't even take into account how much land I would have to buy to house such large routes.

This deal for everything for $200 is meant for the people that are looking to buy the full monty and nobody else. Frankly, its not even meant for most of the active playing community either. Most of us have a fair chunk of these DLC's and wouldn't spend money on something we already own. This deal is meant for people that JUST recently picked up the game or are on the fence about getting it.

Without a doubt I can guarantee you that you'll get more play hours out of that Full DLC deal then you will out of the next 5 console ported titles you buy combined.

***Wanna try RW2 for free and see one of the best models in the game?***
http://www.nrm.org.uk/scotsmangift

If you give it a FAIR chance and it's meant for you, you'll understand. If not, so be it and move along please.

cilldroichid
02-07-2011, 12:31 PM
This deal is meant for people that JUST recently picked up the game or are on the fence about getting it.

This would describe me. Have RW2 two weeks, due too a new found interest in railways, and i'am enjoying it. For 160 euros it seems like a very good deal, so i have a question for the experts, is the deal worth it?

Toldrabald
02-07-2011, 12:38 PM
This would describe me. Have RW2 two weeks, due too a new found interest in railways, and i'am enjoying it. For 160 euros it seems like a very good deal, so i have a question for the experts, is the deal worth it?

For me there are 2 things keeping from taking the deal: I've already got the routes and most trains I'm interested in, so no need to buy them a second time and I won't need the steam locos because I'd never drive them. If you purchase all things seperately you'll probably also spend the same amount of money, so go for it.
Just look at the numbers and you'll see it is worth it. Saving 500 is a nice thing. If you enjoy RW so far you should consider the buy. And you will get hundreds of hours of scenarios for it.

arizonachris
02-07-2011, 12:38 PM

As Ragnokak said, you may not want all the different locomotives and rolling stock and routes that are in the Mega Bundle. But, if you think that all that is offered is what you would run/ use, then by all means go for it!

I'm one that would also agree with Yotsuba. They should have more, smaller, "themed" sales, or just more individual sales. For example, I would love to see WCML on sale, as $40USD is a little too much for me right now.

Ragnokak
02-07-2011, 12:52 PM

Unquestionably.

cilldroichid
02-13-2011, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the advice everone. I purchased the complete dlc pack yesterday , and after a painfully slow download time of 12+ hours, i got a look at it a few hours ago. It's definitely worth the price for the sheer size of it alone. I'm looking forward to months of driving even before trying any third party add-ons, not to mention dipping my toe into route building in the distant future.

Anybody with even half an interest in Railworks should get the complete pack.

Sceptr
02-15-2011, 01:07 PM
It's the simulator genre. Pretty much every simulator you find has DLC. This looks like it has a lot because it's all in one central location, but if you look at something like Flight Simulator, there's many thousands of dollars of DLC.

Want proof, PMDG (http://www.precisionmanuals.com/) anyone?

Interesting thing for people familiar with PMDG & flight sims.

The fans of PMDG 737ng have been waiting for the FSX 737ngx since before, i believe, Rail Simulator (now Railworks 2) had been released.

Please, i'm not trolling here, i just found it interesting.