PDA

View Full Version : Is the Steam version of this game getting the Head Start?

RhymeBomb
02-05-2011, 03:01 PM
I got the CE, if that matters.

corwiniii
02-06-2011, 07:28 AM
Yes. All pre-orders get the HS. Just register the key on your Trion account.

Johnster1
02-06-2011, 08:16 AM
If you get the game retail, you won't get the pre-ord. perks. Steam-powered or not.

Get it from the Rift site (if you can) and you won't get Steam perks, but maybe their own stuff (if they do it)

RhymeBomb
02-06-2011, 10:53 AM

Thank you.

Warseth
02-08-2011, 12:46 PM
So the key I have from steam that got me in CB is the same key that flags me for HS?

The reason I ask is I normally use game stop and I get a key in a box before retail arrives.

Since it is steam is the key for retail also the same key that will flag my account for the head start? Or does steam give you a second key for head start?

gfoxcook
02-08-2011, 06:05 PM

Does the HS count towards (or rather, against) your free 30 days?

corwiniii
02-08-2011, 06:37 PM
So the key I have from steam that got me in CB is the same key that flags me for HS?

The reason I ask is I normally use game stop and I get a key in a box before retail arrives.

Since it is steam is the key for retail also the same key that will flag my account for the head start? Or does steam give you a second key for head start?

If you pre-order any copy of the game, and apply that code to your Trion account, you're in the head-start.

Rift FAQ (http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?19289-Rift-Pre-Order-FAQ-UPDATED-1-20-11)
How can I play in Head Start?
Head Start only requires a pre-order code. You can get a pre-order code at your favorite local game retailer, or from online partners.

immelbatoast
02-08-2011, 06:40 PM
Under "Manage Games" on my account page, it says "Thirty (30) day game time included with purchase for new accounts begins upon your first log in to your account following the game's commercial release.

I take that to mean it doesn't include the headstart time, as the commercial release is March 1.

corwiniii
02-08-2011, 06:40 PM
Does the HS count towards (or rather, against) your free 30 days?

When I log into my Trion account and go to Account Management, under Subscription Information I see:

Thirty (30) day game time included with purchase for new accounts begins upon your first log in to your account following the game's commercial release.

So, I take that to be literal - commercial release is March 1 (or March 4 in EU), so that is when I would expect the 30 days to begin.

I'll look for something more official on the Rift forums, but to me that is clear.

corwiniii
02-08-2011, 06:47 PM
:mad: Ninjaed by Immelbatoast

Taric
02-08-2011, 06:48 PM
I'm pretty sure the 30 days does not count towards the headstart period. I may be wrong, but AoC was like that too. You technically got like 36 free days or something like that.

Warseth
02-09-2011, 09:20 AM
If you pre-order any copy of the game, and apply that code to your Trion account, you're in the head-start.

Rift FAQ (http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?19289-Rift-Pre-Order-FAQ-UPDATED-1-20-11)

All the faq says is who you buy it from will provide you with a head start code. My CD-key from steam specifically says its CE Edition Key.

So there was no OTHER key. The Trion Faq does not help me verify if Steam was to give me another code or not, Or if the code I am using now does both.

immelbatoast
02-09-2011, 09:29 AM
All the faq says is who you buy it from will provide you with a head start code. My CD-key from steam specifically says its CE Edition Key.

So there was no OTHER key. The Trion Faq does not help me verify if Steam was to give me another code or not, Or if the code I am using now does both.

As far as I know, if you buy it from a retailer, they give you a separate code to get into the betas (not sure about headstart), then you get your game code with the box once it's out. Steam only gives you one, the "Preorder" code or whatever they call it. That will give you access to the beta coming up and the headstart + game all in one code (but the Beta and headstart/commercial clients are different, so you will need to download the Beta client if you want to play that).

TLDR - Steam gives you one code for everything

corwiniii
02-09-2011, 09:37 AM
I didn't buy it from Steam but I'm pretty sure there is no HS specific code. I don't have one either from D2D and my Trion account doesn't mention HS. But based on my understanding of the FAQ, any pre-order purchased before March 1 and applied to your Trion account is eligible for HS. Like Betas, I'm assuming there will be a link on your Trion account to download the release game installer by 10am PST on Feb 24.

Askjosh
02-09-2011, 12:51 PM
all pre orders will have access to the head start provided that you created an account and entered your pre order key. However only the Digital Collectors edition will receive their in game items during head start. All retail Collectors editions must wait until their retail box arrives as the code needed to receive the collectors edition items is in the retail box.

gfoxcook
02-10-2011, 01:55 AM
I take that to mean it doesn't include the headstart time, as the commercial release is March 1.

So, I take that to be literal - commercial release is March 1 (or March 4 in EU), so that is when I would expect the 30 days to begin.

I'll look for something more official on the Rift forums, but to me that is clear.

I'm pretty sure the 30 days does not count towards the headstart period. I may be wrong, but AoC was like that too. You technically got like 36 free days or something like that.

Thanks, guys. That's pretty cool that there's bonus time beyond the 30 days they don't even advertise on the Steam Store page for the game. This is going to be my first MMO, so I had no idea what the precedent was on such things (such as in AoC, as Taric mentioned).

:::wonders if he should finally use that 14-day WOW trial before RIFT's HS begins, just so he experiences both games in the same order 99% of MMO players do:::

corwiniii
02-10-2011, 04:43 AM
This is my first MMO too unless you count Guild Wars.

immelbatoast
02-11-2011, 12:10 PM
I could never get into WoW from the trials I did, and really the 14 day trial isn't a taste of what WoW is about for more-than-casual players. My understanding from my gamer friends who play is that most of the fun WoW stuff is dungeons, raids, etc that you don't experience until later levels...while Rift has it available much earlier. So unless you're playing like crazy you won't really get a taste of "what the big deal is" with WoW.

Edit - Since this is your first MMO, it's worth mentioning that there's special founders monthly rates for picking your subscription before March 15. A lot of people miss that! It's only $1 off from regular pricing, but it's worth picking up if you're getting 3 or 6 months. I got a 3 month sub since most MMO's fates are decided within the first 3 months.

Taric
02-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Personally, my favorite parts of an MMO is the Lore. I love the backstory, which is one of the reasons RIFT is so interesting to me. There is no "good" or "evil" in this game. Just differing views from two factions that have both made terrible mistakes and blame everything on the other side.

The most fun for me in an MMO is exploration and finding/learning things that others do not know. For example, the title "Merchant of Death" is not really seen on the Guardian side, because you have to kill a specific NPC in Freemarch (starting Defiant zone). I traveled all the way to Freemarch, to explore, killed that NPC, got the title, and now I CONSTANTLY get asked how the hell I got such a cool title, haha.

Exploration is my favorite part of MMOs, which is why EQ (with its ridiculously large zones) made me so happy.