PDA

View Full Version : Battlefield 3

thoreau
02-05-2011, 06:44 PM
Anyone else stoked about this FPS? The official release date is a general "Fall of 2011." Battlefield 2 was quite the addicting FPS because of how well it fused both realistic air and ground combat simultaneously, which is why I still play it from time to time. My two wishes though are that they really squash out most of the bugs and balancing issues in the upcoming semi-public beta in October. The original release Battlefield 2 1.0 was so buggy that it in fact felt like the game was still in core development. The second is that hopefully the community will be a lot better this time around. The Battlefield 2 community is still one of the worst communities I've ever seen in the history of online games, with team killers everywhere and half of all servers run by abusive unintelligent admins.

Anasazi
02-05-2011, 07:48 PM
I hope they bring back official servers that are worth something (like when BF2 was first released), and change the anti-cheat software.

And yeah I would be completely excited about it but I probably won't have any free time then :( Damn.
My favorite Battlefield is still the original Vietnam, though.

TimM
02-05-2011, 07:50 PM
Nah, not stoked. Singleplayer gamer here ;)

Gothic 1
Gothic 2
Morrowind
ARMA series
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Mmmmh...

;)

=UAL=Shock&Awe
02-05-2011, 07:53 PM
I'll pass it up for Diablo III.

derpburp
02-05-2011, 07:56 PM
They have not confirmed mod support so no.

Benji90
02-05-2011, 08:36 PM
Been waiting for this since 2142, If BF3 is anything like BF2 in terms of gameplay it will be worth the wait :D

Blackops
02-05-2011, 09:45 PM
What happened to the other BF3 thread? I guess it already died.

Anyways, I'm pumped. BF2 + BC2 graphics, come on now.

Crimson Rising
02-05-2011, 10:17 PM
Can't wait for the BF3 beta. It's going to rawk mah sawks.

Moe45673
02-06-2011, 12:03 AM
I like BC2 a lot, that and BF1943 are my two main forays into the BF world and I'm impressed by both. I tried BF2 and just could not get past the graphics.

Looking forward to BF3!

Dustenza
02-06-2011, 12:19 AM
64 Players
Jets
Prone
Frostbite 2.0
Epic destruction
DirectX 11
64 bit enhanced
Fantastic audio
Dragging injured teammates
Getting thrown by explosions
Battlefield returning to its full glory

...yeah it's a no brainer for me.

ViSkY
02-06-2011, 12:23 AM
Being able to drag enemies would be pretty cool/funny :P

smash
02-07-2011, 07:19 PM
NEW INFO!

Okay, so going through the article:

-Aiming for CY Q4 2011 release
-Concept for BF3 has been in the works for years, waiting on proper tech to seamlessly come together
-Frosbite 2.0 is the culmination of this tech, entirely re-written
-Lighting sounds neat, one "probe" contains more lighting information than an entire BFBC2 level.
-Level destruction is going to be "believable" but basically everything is destructible.
-Character animations powered by ANT, what EA Sports uses.
-AI characters and multiplayer characters have different animation sets
-No more "gliding" animations that look off, animation realism is a focus
-Captured their own war audios (bullets, tanks, helicopters, etc) at different distances to ensure realism
-Better audio cues for certain actions, more easily able to listen for threats
-Plan on better, more immediate post release content
-More unlocks than BFBC2
-Dice trying to find a good balance between customization of your character and not having "pink rabbit hat(s)"
-4 classes
-Will talk about squads "later"
-Looking into a theater mode but can't talk about it
-Will have co-op
-There will be a kill-cam but it can be turned off
-BF3's team is almost twice as big as the team for BFBC2
-They want the pacing of the single player mode to be balanced, with highs and lows. Makes the comparison to a song vs a guitar solo.
-Part of the single player mode takes place in Sulaymaniyah - Iraqi Kurdistan.
-"♥♥♥♥" will be used often, so M rated for sure
-There will be an earthquake in a level. The destruction sounds very impressive. 7 story building collapses, looks very well done
-Significant narrative that goes with the SP mode
-More than one setting, you're not in the middle east for the whole game
-PC version is lead version
-Why 64 players for PC only? No complains from the console crowd.
-No mod tools at release. Maybe none down the line either. Frosbite 2.0 is complex and mods tools would have to be dumbed down, so does Dice really want to put their time to that or would it be better spent elsewhere?
-Original story, not based on Bad Company at all.

Okay, that's basically it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=421095

There's also some scans out there. Sorry, I can't link to those. You'll have to use your detective skills to see those.

PowerfulGiraffe
02-07-2011, 07:21 PM
Morrowind yeeeaaahh, :cool:

you and me both

AsheMan
02-07-2011, 07:27 PM
I'm really anticipating BF3. Battlefield 2 was the one game that was able to break my Counter Strike addiction. In the meantime, I get my kicks from Bad Company 2.

evoleo24
02-07-2011, 07:32 PM
This is amping up to be a HUGE release. But it's a shame because MW3 will sell more copies. But that's ok, I'd rather not have my game filled with 12 year olds anyway.

Dustenza
02-07-2011, 08:20 PM
Everything I've heard about BF3 sounds fantastic, and I'm really impressed by DICE, except for the absence of mod tools due to engine complexity.

HOWEVER, one big thing that I am still waiting to see confirmed is singleplayer BOTS. No, I'm not talking about the singleplayer story they are introducing to the Battlefield series (not Bad Company series). I'm talking about the ability to jump in an open battle with computer AI if your internet is ever down, to practice before going against other people, and to experiment. What about LAN? Can I jump in my own map to just practice flying jets and helicopters? This is a huge deal, and we need some answers!

I also hope there are volumetric clouds in some maps. It would really add to the air combat aspect of the game. Lets hope we get a ton of info at this years GDC 2011 reveal! I want to see the PC version in action. I want to see jets flying above the cloud line. I want to see a demonstration of the commander mode that still hasn't been confirmed.

HideYoKidz
HideYoWife
BF3cominFoYoFamily

Swordman5
02-07-2011, 08:23 PM
My favorite Battlefield is still the original Vietnam, though.

At first I thought, "lol, wut? 1942 was the original," but then I realized that you were simply differentiating from the new Vietnam bad company game :o.

Battlefield 3 should be good. It'll be nice to return to 64 player games, though I don't think I'll like running around those huge distances again.

freeloader105
02-07-2011, 08:36 PM
If my (slightly overclocked) q6600 can carry BF3, I'll likely pre-order it. This game will probably be the best PC multiplayer FPS in many years.

methodman123
02-07-2011, 08:46 PM
Everything I've heard about BF3 sounds fantastic, and I'm really impressed by DICE, except for the absence of mod tools due to engine complexity.

HOWEVER, one big thing that I am still waiting to see confirmed is singleplayer BOTS. No, I'm not talking about the singleplayer story they are introducing to the Battlefield series (not Bad Company series). I'm talking about the ability to jump in an open battle with computer AI if your internet is ever down, to practice before going against other people, and to experiment. What about LAN? Can I jump in my own map to just practice flying jets and helicopters? This is a huge deal, and we need some answers!

I also hope there are volumetric clouds in some maps. It would really add to the air combat aspect of the game. Lets hope we get a ton of info at this years GDC 2011 reveal! I want to see the PC version in action. I want to see jets flying above the cloud line. I want to see a demonstration of the commander mode that still hasn't been confirmed.

HideYoKidz
HideYoWife
BF3cominFoYoFamily

Praticing is simple, join an empty server. BOTS will not really help you at all. From my experience, bots are extreme noooooblots

Moe45673
02-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Yeah, seems like one needs a heavy rig to play it. I have 8GB DDR2 RAM, a Core 2 Quad Q9550, and a Radeon 5850 and I'm worried about this.

CUDpwns
02-07-2011, 09:04 PM
I can't wait for BF3, i've always loved the BF series and it's good to that BF3 is going to be more BF than BC2.

GirlPower23
02-07-2011, 09:28 PM
Depressing there is no mod tools.. but I can live with that if the game is amazing, the controls aren't dumbed down for console users and everything plays like a real battlefield game and not it's spinoff series Bad Company. Not to say Bad Company is bad.. cause I enjoy it a lot.

notavirus.exe
02-07-2011, 09:44 PM
I will admit, I played battlefield 2 and liked it a lot. I didn't play any other battlefield game except the two bad companies, and I like them too.

I never thought I would say this, but I am super extreme status excited about this game. I don't know why, but I am. Pre-order comes out and I'm buying it asap.

I like that little shot at TF2 about not focusing on pink rabbit hats.

Moe45673
02-07-2011, 10:00 PM
I think it's more a shot at the fans of TF2 than Valve itself. Valve implemented hats as a cute little aside thingie. It's the idiotic fans that made them into such a big deal, to the point where Valve can now make real money off them.

But that's a digression for another time.

tibetanpunk
02-07-2011, 10:58 PM
Really looking forward to the game. Really not looking forward to the system requirements.

notavirus.exe
02-07-2011, 11:01 PM
Really looking forward to the game. Really not looking forward to the system requirements.

I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully a Phenom II quad and a 6850 will be able to handle a good playable experience.

tibetanpunk
02-07-2011, 11:10 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully a Phenom II quad and a 6850 will be able to handle a good playable experience.

I am hoping that my Q6600 and a 4850 will run it at at least medium settings. Then again, this is one game that may actually be worth upgrading for. :)

GirlPower23
02-08-2011, 12:14 AM

If it is as optimized as bad company 2.. I don't think you have a lot to worry about.

Scared
02-08-2011, 01:24 AM
If BF3 has mouse acceleration like Bad Company 2 it will suck.

GirlPower23
02-09-2011, 12:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foXVF7q035Y

Real time Radiosity in Frostbite 2. Pretty cool stuff. Not sure if it was mentioned but apparently Battlefield 3 PC will be the "Lead" Platform and the consoles getting the port. So the people concerned on the game being dumbed down for consoles.. seems irrelevant. Now we just need to wait and see if DICE is really talking out their butt or will deliver on their promises for us PC Gamers.

freeloader105
02-09-2011, 01:05 AM
Yea, I'm so totally stoked (http://www.theonion.com/video/report-most-college-males-admit-to-regularly-getti,14386/).

TangledThorns
02-09-2011, 10:58 AM
I'm disappointed it's not supporting 128 players, BF2 already did 64. BF2 sounds like a graphical update to BF2 and not much else really ground breaking. Hopefully I'm proven wrong.

Drag0nZorD!
02-09-2011, 11:01 AM
I tried BF2 and just could not get past the graphics.

wow...

bf2's graphics arnt even bad.

Tannekr
02-09-2011, 11:14 AM
I want to play it, but I'm not sure I'll be able to.

:(

Moe45673
02-09-2011, 11:21 AM
wow...

bf2's graphics arnt even bad.

They're not bad, but I'm running Win7 x64 and the game does not run smoothly. It doesn't respond well to my input. I'm not opposed to dated graphics, I still love me some DoD:S, but this really killed it for me.

I'm not the only one having issues with BF2 on this OS, just do a google search.

*edit* Ok, I just loaded it up again. I can see myself getting into it, though there are a lot of classes I'd need to figure out. The graphics are fine though I miss the destruction of BC2. Also, I got kicked out of a server by punkbuster after two minutes. ♥♥♥♥. I need to see if this keeps happening, but I think I'll BF2 it a bit and maybe set myself up for BF3 by doing so.

notavirus.exe
02-09-2011, 11:39 AM
I'm disappointed it's not supporting 128 players, BF2 already did 64. BF2 sounds like a graphical update to BF2 and not much else really ground breaking. Hopefully I'm proven wrong.

The sound should get an extreme improvement. Sound to me is something people complain about in almost every FPS when its terribad, but if its good nobody even notices.

I read (or heard) that they are recording actual real life gun fire from different distances so that the sound is different based on where you are in correlation to the gun fire. They are also trying to get realistic sounds based on the surroundings, so if your in a field the sound travels further, if your in an enclosed area the sound will have a more muzzled distorted effect. So I guess they are bringing in the ear candy?

GirlPower23
02-09-2011, 08:25 PM
http://www.gamesradar.com/pc/battlefield-3/news/battlefield-3-to-have-dedicated-servers-on-pc/a-20110209145046217024/g-2010102215021883009

Dedicated Server support for PCs. /gives Console Gamers the finger. :D

methodman123
02-09-2011, 08:31 PM
No commander in battlefield 3

-616-
02-09-2011, 10:40 PM
BF2 is one of my favourite games ever to grace the PC. Words can't describe how pumped I am.

notavirus.exe
02-09-2011, 11:09 PM
I know everyone is stuck on mods...but for some reason I really enjoy hearing this

Right now our focus is to create the best possible multiplayer, single-player, and co-op game - the core game of Battlefield 3. We're still discussing how we handle modifications of any kind."

in a way, it seems as if we may get it in the long run after launch and first few bug patches. I know the mod community is super important, I just think a functioning game to base the mods off of is a little more important.

Aemony
02-09-2011, 11:13 PM
I know everyone is stuck on mods...but for some reason I really enjoy hearing this

in a way, it seems as if we may get it in the long run after launch and first few bug patches. I know the mod community is super important, I just think a functioning game to base the mods off of is a little more important.

-No mod tools at release. Maybe none down the line either. Frosbite 2.0 is complex and mods tools would have to be dumbed down, so does Dice really want to put their time to that or would it be better spent elsewhere?

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/02/08/field-music-battlefield-3-detailed-pc-is-win/

Food for thought, perhaps?

stickman
02-09-2011, 11:38 PM
This is shaping up to be a great year in terms of my personal entertainment.

Cow002
02-09-2011, 11:57 PM
I just started play BF:2 tonight, and I'm sorry, but it's not much better than CoD. They are both kind of "meh", as in not much depth. A hell of a lot of fun, but still feels pretty mindless.....and I'm so damn sick of killing russians.

edit:meant BC2. There all the same to me.

Moe45673
02-10-2011, 01:01 PM
After playing more BF:2, I keep thinking that BC2 really streamlined the gameplay. Sure, maybe the spec-ops could have been kept separate from the sniper class, but the more realistic physics of BC2 really keep it a step above. I can see how BF2 was leagues ahead of anything else in 2005 and I do wish I was a part of it back then (I can't think of another game in that time period that did vehicles so well), but I find BC2 so much more immersive thanks to the added tactics of destructible environments.

Having said all that, I can totally see myself dropping BC2 for BF3.

The_End254
02-10-2011, 01:36 PM
Damn, the game looks great and that's just pictures.

BS_1
02-10-2011, 01:41 PM
Dice trying to find a good balance between customization of your character and not having “pink rabbit hat(s)”I see what they did there. ;) :D

Hardee
02-10-2011, 01:51 PM
-"♥♥♥♥" will be used often, so M rated for sure

Fantastic. Absolutely brilliant sequel, that's for sure.

Never understood the appeal of a new BF sequel, it seems they just have the same game with a better engine and add pathetic "new features" like the one above and charge 40. And it's the same premise over and over again. Not any better than what Infinity Ward did with COD.

BF 1943 on the Xbox 360 is basically what it is, only they charged 6 for that (seems fair).

evoleo24
02-10-2011, 01:55 PM

Never understood the appeal of a new BF sequel, it seems they just have the same game with a better engine and add pathetic "new features" like the one above and charge 40. And it's the same premise over and over again. Not any better than what Infinity Ward did with COD.

BF 1943 on the Xbox 360 is basically what it is, only they charged 6 for that (seems fair).

Except it's not released every year.

Hardee
02-10-2011, 01:57 PM
Except it's not released every year.

Brilliant. So it's OK then. :p

They've released enough BF games in the last decade to make up for it.

Mordwyrhta
02-10-2011, 02:03 PM

If you actually follow the BF franchise you'll see that most "true" sequels contain a lot of change and innovation. BF1942 to BF2 was a massive step. New engine, new time period, just improved across the board.

BFBC2, again, new engine that now included fully destructible buildings, a streamlined class system, the addition of "perks".

BF3 goes to a whole new level. Another new engine, even more destructible, more of EVERYTHING (guns, perks, customization etc etc etc).

It's still a sequel, so it's going to be similar, but every BF is a much larger jump than CoD to CoD. CoD3 to 4 was big, every BF release is on the level of CoD3 to 4, probably even bigger though.

evoleo24
02-10-2011, 02:05 PM
Brilliant. So it's OK then. :p

They've released enough BF games in the last decade to make up for it.

No, they released numbed down re-hashes for consoles. There hasn't been a true battlefield game since BF2. If the last game from Call of Duty was CoD 2, and they released Black Ops I would totally buy it. but seeing how black ops is the same as MW2 is the same as CoD4 I won't.

You can't compare the two.

NotYourHero
02-10-2011, 02:08 PM
>40 more players than console. Hell ya. I just hope my current setup is enough for high settings. I know it would easily do medium. I play BC2 on max.

smash
02-10-2011, 02:09 PM
>40 more players than console. Hell ya. I just hope my current setup is enough for high settings. I know it would easily do medium. I play BC2 on max.

AFAIK, a quad core rig with a higher-end DX11 card will go a long way in BF3.

Oh, and a 64-bit system with, to be safe, 4-6GB at least.

Moe45673
02-10-2011, 02:15 PM
Do you include C2Q chips in that, or just the iX line? Asking because I have a Q9550 so am concerned! And a 5850, is that considered higher end DX11 or midrange?

ViSkY
02-10-2011, 02:24 PM
Do you include C2Q chips in that, or just the iX line? Asking because I have a Q9550 so am concerned! And a 5850, is that considered higher end DX11 or midrange?

Honestly you should be good, do you overclock at all?

Moe45673
02-10-2011, 02:29 PM
Nope, I looked in OC'ing a while back but figured it wasn't worth it, particularly with what I heard about it shortening the lifespan of the component.

ViSkY
02-10-2011, 02:33 PM
Nope, I looked in OC'ing a while back but figured it wasn't worth it, particularly with what I heard about it shortening the lifespan of the component.

It wont shorten lifespan too much as long as you stay in a safe range.

Moe45673
02-10-2011, 03:08 PM
Good to know, thanks. I'm sure the chip will last the 2 or 3 years until I do the inevitable upgrade, even if overclocked, but I do like to sell my old parts.

Anyhow, while some things don't need to be cranked (textures, shadows) to get me as into it, other things like draw distance and water do make a difference to my experience. I'd be fine even on medium settings with BF3, though I am still awed by how good everything looks cranked in BC2. Honestly, if BF3 was running on the identical engine that BC2 runs off of, only with more players, jets, etc, it'd still be a must buy and I'd still be awed by the graphical quality.

Blockout
02-10-2011, 04:48 PM
My hopes aren't that big... I think BC2 was a let down compared with BF2.

But lets see...

ZackFair
02-10-2011, 05:15 PM
I might get this at some point. BF2 is one of my favorite games but I am going to wait until all the bugs and what not are taken care of.

Also, who has this much time (http://i.imgur.com/tArlu.jpg) to do this?

MrChris
02-10-2011, 05:20 PM
I look forward to it immensely, after 1942 and DC, Vietnam, BF2, 2142 etc, have wanted a BF3 for a while

BC2 is a good game, but it is what it is, a console version that was ported to PC, theres nothing wrong with that if you simply accept it for what it is and stop thinking it is something it isn't

which is why I want BF3 a lot, BC2 might be great, but it isn't like BF2 or 2142, which were simply awesome

Moe45673
02-10-2011, 06:15 PM
My hopes aren't that big... I think BC2 was a let down compared with BF2.

But lets see...

Good lord, when will people stop with this nonsense? BC2 is not a sequel, it's not the evolution of the classic BF gameplay.

tibetanpunk
02-10-2011, 07:58 PM
I get the impression BC 1+2 were stepping stones towards the greatness that will be Battlefield 3...

I eagerly await some actual gameplay footage to see what Frostbite 2 is capable of in BF3... and I slightly fear the system requirements. :(

smallhero1
02-10-2011, 09:08 PM
Personally, i don't see the BF series as any more than a rip off of CoD (or maybe CoD ripped off of BF) with better graphics, more vehicles, and a destructible environment.nothing more.

Lozer
02-10-2011, 09:26 PM
Personally, i don't see the BF series as any more than a rip off of CoD (or maybe CoD ripped off of BF) with better graphics, more vehicles, and a destructible environment.nothing more.

seriously! dont forget to add:

-better gameplay
-better audio cues (Let the bodies hit the floor!)
-dedicated servers
-free DLC!

GirlPower23
02-10-2011, 09:33 PM

Didn't we have this discussion before? I mean do you need another history lesson or do you need to be taught that Bad Company was never part of the original franchise, it was a spinoff Franchise. BF and BC do not play the same, they aren't related except by name. Either you are trolling or refuse to see the facts when put before you. The only BF you've ever played was Bad Company, which means NOTHING. Go play battlefield 2 before ever comparing it to Modern Warfare or stop trolling.

smallhero1
02-10-2011, 10:18 PM
Didn't we have this discussion before? I mean do you need another history lesson or do you need to be taught that Bad Company was never part of the original franchise, it was a spinoff Franchise. BF and BC do not play the same, they aren't related except by name. Either you are trolling or refuse to see the facts when put before you. The only BF you've ever played was Bad Company, which means NOTHING. Go play battlefield 2 before ever comparing it to Modern Warfare or stop trolling.

You know, I'm just saying the same thing multiple times to see what others would say to counter it. So will you please chill and stop being so frantic over MY opinion?

evoleo24
02-10-2011, 10:32 PM
You know, I'm just saying the same thing multiple times to see what others would say to counter it. So will you please chill and stop being so frantic over MY opinion?

AKA, trolling. She gave you an opinion, one that most would agree on. If you have only ever played BC2, don't even begin to try and summarize the battlefield franchise.

Soldierman1945
02-10-2011, 10:34 PM

So you're saying is that what they have in common is that.... you shoot people? :D

smallhero1
02-10-2011, 10:41 PM
AKA, trolling. She gave you an opinion, one that most would agree on. If you have only ever played BC2, don't even begin to try and summarize the battlefield franchise.

If mankind only agreed on something "that most would agree on," women would be slaves and anyone who's an atheist would be executed

evoleo24
02-10-2011, 10:43 PM
If mankind only agreed on something "that most would agree on," women would be slaves and anyone who's an atheist would be executed

Classic. I suppose you don't have an argument then? Good Day sir.

smallhero1
02-10-2011, 10:45 PM
Classic. I suppose you don't have an argument then? Good Day sir.

I suppose you don't have a valid counter argument then? Have a nice evening.

Jinoruizraged
02-10-2011, 10:47 PM

She's actually right this time. Battlefield 2 was about MASSIVE scale warfare. The bad company games were just large scale. You don't know anything until you've actually played an actual 64 player game of Battlefield 1942/Vietnam/2/2142. Those games are far more complex than either Bad Company.

|MλRCO|
02-10-2011, 10:55 PM
64 person multiplayer suck it up console peasants!

Jinoruizraged
02-10-2011, 10:58 PM
DICE said they don't care.

Moe45673
02-10-2011, 11:20 PM

Even BC2 is way ahead of CoD. CoD is lonewolf rambo heaven.... run around shooting people all by your lonesome.

BC2 has classes that help each other, like a medic (no health that automatically replenishes). It has spotting which allows you to tell your team where an enemy soldier is, so even if he kills you you help out your team. It has destructible environments.... just because you're hiding behind a window in a building, by no means are you safe. It has tickets which can be somewhat subverted on a good team by having a medic that revives you.

And that's just BC2. Don't even get me started on BF2.

Hotbeef!
02-10-2011, 11:23 PM
-BF3's team is almost twice as big as the team for BFBC2

So there is 2-3 people working on this rather than 1?

Aemony
02-11-2011, 12:03 AM
So there is 2-3 people working on this rather than 1?

Does your math fail you? It's more like there's 1-2 people working on it, if only 1 worked on BC2.

Hardee
02-11-2011, 01:06 AM

It's a discussion forum.

If you just want to post things which no one is "allowed" to reply to, maybe stop posting?

lionmaster
02-11-2011, 03:13 AM
Anyone else stoked about this FPS? The official release date is a general "Fall of 2011." Battlefield 2 was quite the addicting FPS because of how well it fused both realistic air and ground combat simultaneously, which is why I still play it from time to time. My two wishes though are that they really squash out most of the bugs and balancing issues in the upcoming semi-public beta in October. The original release Battlefield 2 1.0 was so buggy that it in fact felt like the game was still in core development. The second is that hopefully the community will be a lot better this time around. The Battlefield 2 community is still one of the worst communities I've ever seen in the history of online games, with team killers everywhere and half of all servers run by abusive unintelligent admins.

the only problem with bf2 when it was released was that the server browser was laggy, and hey i might be thinking of etqw, ur comment about core development is ridiculous. i dont remember a single gameplay bug nevermind 10+ biggies

Im not remotely excited about BF3. Bf1942 + 2 were good, but Ive played them to death and I actually wanna be a soldier now so those arent the style of games I want to play anymore.

GirlPower23
02-11-2011, 03:18 AM
the only problem with bf2 when it was released was that the server browser was laggy, and hey i might be thinking of etqw, ur comment about core development is ridiculous. i dont remember a single gameplay bug nevermind 10+ biggies

Im not remotely excited about BF3. Bf1942 + 2 were good, but Ive played them to death and I actually wanna be a soldier now so those arent the style of games I want to play anymore.

Soldiers do not drive vehicles? I recall being able to destroy vehicles very easy as a soldier on foot as well. I am not sure what your trying to get at.

Moe45673
02-11-2011, 06:29 AM
I think he means a soldier IRL.

I can see why he'd say that, but being someone who unfortunately somehow missed BF1942 and BF2 during its heyday (I wasn't much of a gamer, played some games on my parents laptop and PC in the early 2000s but they were more Valve based), I'm totally stoked to finally be a part of it (BC2 is my first BF).

xX_Renegade_Xx
02-11-2011, 06:34 AM
The Battlefield 2 community is still one of the worst communities I've ever seen in the history of online games, with team killers everywhere and half of all servers run by abusive unintelligent admins.

Are you sure it was BF2 you were playing? I played for just over 2 years and never once seen that type of play :confused:

GirlPower23
02-11-2011, 06:39 AM
Are you sure it was BF2 you were playing? I played for just over 2 years and never once seen that type of play :confused:

It boils down to, were you a tank driver>? Helicopter Pilot or Jet Pilot? Tanks and ground vehicles were abundant so people wouldn't TK for them. But when it came to Heli and Jet.. you get that "Kid" who shots you when jet or heli spawns, takes off and crashes it two seconds later. It precisely why I stayed off of Team Damage servers often. Sometimes it would be ridiculous. However a server with proper admins would fix that quick. So just depends on who and where you played and your flavour of style.

xX_Renegade_Xx
02-11-2011, 06:43 AM
It boils down to, were you a tank driver>? Helicopter Pilot or Jet Pilot? Tanks and ground vehicles were abundant so people wouldn't TK for them. But when it came to Heli and Jet.. you get that "Kid" who shots you when jet or heli spawns, takes off and crashes it two seconds later. It precisely why I stayed off of Team Damage servers often. Sometimes it would be ridiculous. However a server with proper admins would fix that quick. So just depends on who and where you played and your flavour of style.

Good point, the jets/heli teamkillers were a pain but thankfully they were few and far between or as you've said admin would ban them as soon as possible but I don't agree with the worst online community, that crown goes to L4D.

Mordwyrhta
02-11-2011, 06:44 AM
Back in the day I used to play on this guy's server pretty much exclusively. He once watched me fly a heli through the tunnel in Dam and land a blackhawk on the tip of a crane arm to bring a sniper more ammo.

My name was MoonlapseVertigo at the time and that server eventually ended up with a rule "If your name isn't MoonlapseVertigo and you're on my team, driving the chopper will get you kicked."

I became the guy's dedicated chopper pilot. I'm hoping for the same kind of stuff to happen in BF3.

Choppers are flying coffins in BC2.

GirlPower23
02-11-2011, 06:50 AM
Back in the day I used to play on this guy's server pretty much exclusively. He once watched me fly a heli through the tunnel in Dam and land a blackhawk on the tip of a crane arm to bring a sniper more ammo.

My name was MoonlapseVertigo at the time and that server eventually ended up with a rule "If your name isn't MoonlapseVertigo and you're on my team, driving the chopper will get you kicked."

I became the guy's dedicated chopper pilot. I'm hoping for the same kind of stuff to happen in BF3.

Choppers are flying coffins in BC2.

I was a jet pilot.. use to love flying low.. I mean reallllly low. Like I could clip a tank if I wasn't careful. Was always fun getting chased by other jets and going low under bridges and inside canals. Helicopter was my second favourite vehicle, many a times I would run into this amazing Chopper pilot who had no problem shooting down everything.

Choppers in BC2 with all the fixes they added to them made them rain death so easily. While they are still paper thin.. they can wreck so much havoc if are good at flying them. Of course getting a good gunner was a different story. While I am not the greatest pilot in BC2.. I could still keep my chopper up forever in some maps.

Mordwyrhta
02-11-2011, 06:56 AM
I was a jet pilot.. use to love flying low.. I mean reallllly low. Like I could clip a tank if I wasn't careful. Was always fun getting chased by other jets and going low under bridges and inside canals. Helicopter was my second favourite vehicle, many a times I would run into this amazing Chopper pilot who had no problem shooting down everything.

Choppers in BC2 with all the fixes they added to them made them rain death so easily. While they are still paper thin.. they can wreck so much havoc if are good at flying them. Of course getting a good gunner was a different story. While I am not the greatest pilot in BC2.. I could still keep my chopper up forever in some maps.

My issue is that I am primarily a Blackhawk pilot in games with choppers. I'm a troop carrier who usually plays support classes as a single good support can add infinitely more to a team than a good offensive player. The Blackhawk in BC2 is so "light" feeling and flimsy. I remember in BF2 being able to take a beating in that flying tank and still get out to go pick up a new load of troops.

I play tanks and healers in MMOs too. I'm just a support kind of guy.

MrChris
02-11-2011, 09:12 AM
in BC2, you can still ♥♥♥♥ in the helicopter as long as you have some skills

difference being people on the ground actually have a chance to kill you and you really have to worry about AA, which is how it should be

the blackhawks are quite vulnerable, you really have to be able to throw those things around and not faceplant the floor, which is a big change to the flying fortress that they used to be in BF2; well before a few nerfs lol

lionmaster
02-11-2011, 12:07 PM
Good point, the jets/heli teamkillers were a pain but thankfully they were few and far between or as you've said admin would ban them as soon as possible but I don't agree with the worst online community, that crown goes to L4D.

yeah ive never played l4d largely because of the concept/title. perhaps its unfair that I imagine the game is full of whiners, but anyway im not willing to risk it.

teamkilling was an integral part of the bf2 fun imo. I had lots of fun with random teamkilling but particularly when c4ing my own teams choppers. the teamkilling in bf2 added a great dimension of mindless war that exists so prevelantly in society. given that the popular official servers were almost totally unregulated the occasional teamkill really helped keep my feet on the ground.

I recall being able to destroy vehicles very easy as a soldier on foot as well
it is disputable as to whether that is a bug. vehicles like humvees are particularly easy to destroy relative to tanks. humvees were useful irrespective of their armour, if they were patched I barely noticed. going to afghanistan i may not have much choice in followng orders, but before i join the army i have the choice to choose what section Im in, and I plan to avoid anything like mech inf. despite being relatively ignorant as to army procedure i see a lot of unneccessary risks that soldiers take, reminiscent of ww1 cavalry charges.

xX_Renegade_Xx
02-11-2011, 12:16 PM
yeah ive never played l4d largely because of the concept/title. perhaps its unfair that I imagine the game is full of whiners, but anyway im not willing to risk it.

Don't let that put you off, L4D with friends is a superb game, I have over 600 hours playtime and do enjoy the game thoroughly, it's when you play with people you don't know that you can sometimes run into griefers.

When is the beta out for this, does anyone know?

lionmaster
02-11-2011, 12:54 PM
600 hrs of playtime yet u call it the worst community, you only solidify my belief lol. l4d players want to have a good cry about life whereas bf players want a taste of battlefield.

Shape
02-11-2011, 03:50 PM
When is the beta out for this, does anyone know?

My guess is Summer, June-July.

Can't wait..

Sgt.Gotee
02-11-2011, 04:07 PM
It'd be nice to have a game not launch in the fall for a change.

Shape
02-11-2011, 04:12 PM
It'd be nice to have a game not launch in the fall for a change.

It's about making those books look good. Cycles.

thanks to coffee a month ago it seems, my next build is gearing toward this game.. 30+hours overtime this cheque.. /workaholic

Lethal_Sting
02-11-2011, 04:19 PM
You don't know anything until you've actually played an actual 64 120+ player game of BF2/2142.

Some mods AIX and First Strike come to mind. It was madness.

My issue is that I am primarily a Blackhawk pilot in games with choppers.

I remember playing the demo of 2, getting in the BH, flying round with an AR firing out the side. Suddenly, I see the MiG come straight at us, lock-on warning wailing. Missile comes right towards us, no hit! I watch the battlerecorder... the missile flew through the open doors!

I'm looking forward for something to match that if there happens to be an open-open beta/demo. Especially now that it is $60 for no reason...