PDA

View Full Version : Question about PS3 guitar hero controller

spacebug
02-06-2011, 04:01 PM
So, still haven't got a guitar controller for my PC version of Guitar Hero World Tour. Apparently it's the PS3 controller that's compatible with PC, as it's wireless but comes with a USB dongle thingy (not sure on this, can anyone confirm)?

I've found one for auction on a local website at $1 reserve, but it says "doesnt come with the disk or sensor to plug into playstation"

So theoretically, all I would need is one of these: http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/PS3/Guitar-Hero-World-Tour-Wireless-Guitar-USB-Receiver/3239133/ as well?

How does the battery/charging thing work on these. Would I also need some kind of charging cable?

lucid enigma
02-06-2011, 04:18 PM
I don't have the software to test but I just synced an xbox guitar with my PC using the Microsoft wireless receiver and it seems to work properly as a USB controller so I guess would be fine with the game?!?
Perhaps PS3 would be a better option anyway if a wireless receiver is included with it but looks like that's not your only option.

spacebug
02-06-2011, 04:21 PM
Good to know there are options. I think I'd prefer a wired one, but I don't think they made them :(

Not for anything since Aerosmith...

But yeah, I've never owned a console, so I don't know how the wireless controllers work at all in terms of charging etc.

lucid enigma
02-06-2011, 04:26 PM
Earlier xbox models were wired.
Some GH Legends of Rock (3) were wired and I think all were before that.
You can still pick them up pre-owned.
The xbox ones just use normal AA batteries too btw.

spacebug
02-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Yeah, but no wired ones for World Tour I think, and it's a bigger controller with the second lot of buttons...and there's a PS3 one on auction for $1 reserve, so I'll get that if I can. But if not I'll look at getting an older 360 wired one. I've actually been surprised to not see them for sale secondhand at all...been looking for one for a while.

spacebug
02-06-2011, 04:35 PM
Do the PS3 wireless controllers use AA batteries? Anyone know?

lucid enigma
02-06-2011, 04:39 PM
I have world tour on xbox and you could certainly play it with earlier controllers.
You'd just lose the tapping and slider ability and the extra 'fret button' may mean you couldn't play the highest difficulty.
Though saying that, the gameplay gets adjusted if you play with a normal gamepad connected instead so it may also adjust for the missing 'fret button' too?!? They must consider people that just bought the game as they already had a guitar?!?

tbh I don't like the slider/tapping part anyway.
You need to look at it too much which you can't do while watching the screen.
I've not played it that much so maybe you get used to it but I just play the slide/tap notes like normal.
There's no bonus in doing it the 'proper way' I don't think.
I notice the latest model for Warriors of Rock has no slider bit so I guess I'm not alone!

Oh, btw, just thought of you or your hubby's team. GG for Liverpool today! ;)
Good to see Torres is proving a waste of 50 million for his new club!
Let's hope he plays as well for them as he has Liverpool for so long.
Let's see how long the Chelsea fans will keep sticking by him and defending him?!?

spacebug
02-10-2011, 04:22 AM
So I won the auction for the wireless PS3 guitar hero controller. Went and picked it up today. It cost $1.50. Glee!

I also went ahead and ordered the PS3 Guitar Hero World Tour Wireless Guitar USB Receiver dongle from my game store.

So, while I'm waiting for my USB receiver order, I just have a guitar controller sitting there doing nothing. I was gleefully examining my new purchase, when I noticed the small writing on the sticker on the back of it.

Wireless Controller for PS2

for PS2

PS2

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFffffffff ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff.................. ......

So...what does this mean for me? Should I cancel the order of the USB receiver? I know the PS3 ones are supposed to work with PC, but what's the deal with PS2?

Rargh. Angry.

spacebug
02-10-2011, 02:24 PM
Some places seem to imply that there is no difference between the PS2 and PS3 controller. It's the official Red Octane controller. Can anyone confirm or deny this for me?

lucid enigma
02-10-2011, 05:23 PM
Wow. I could almost see you like in a movie with the camera zooming into the '2' in jumpy steps.
Sorry. Hope you don't mind too much but I lol'd. :D
Hope you can still use it anyway. I've not had a PS since PS1 so can't help I'm afraid!

dibarra2004
02-10-2011, 05:45 PM
It should.

Both PS2/3 World Tour guitars require that usb dongle.
Both guitars belong to the same game. Have same functionality/features, are wireless. Just need PS3 World Tour game. Wouldn't make sense if it couldn't read it.

I originally bought a PS2 Rock Band kit and later switched to the PS3 with no problems(just needed the PS3 game disc). I'm sure it could possibly work for "World Tour".

Though I'm not completely sure...

spacebug
02-10-2011, 06:11 PM
Just need PS3 World Tour game.

I've got the PC World Tour game. It recommends using the PS3 controllers.

dibarra2004
02-10-2011, 09:00 PM
Oh sorry, I missed the "PC" part.:(

Usually the PS2/PS3 control should be the same. Don't see why not. Good luck!

spacebug
02-15-2011, 12:22 PM
Got my wireless USB receiver today.

It doesn't work. I don't know if it's because my controller is PS2 but the USB receiver is for PS3, or because I'm just not doing it right.

If I push the button on the dongle it flashes red. If I push A button on the guitar, it flashes red. If I push both at once, they both flash red....I think this is what I'm supposed to do to sync them, but it says to push "the" button on the guitar controller...if I push the bit with the light on it, nothing happens, does it matter which button I press? And what's it supposed to look like if I have successfully synched the controller with the receiver?

Or do I need to find a driver for this stuff to work on my PC? I dunno. My PC detected a USB controller ok, but then the icon to tell me this went away before I could see any details and I can't find any details now :o

Also...presumably I don't need to turn on the bluetooth of my laptop itself because that's pretty much my laptop's internal bluetooth receiver, which might actually interfere with the GH one?? I don't know this either.

:(

lucid enigma
02-15-2011, 02:41 PM
Got my wireless USB receiver today.

It doesn't work. I don't know if it's because my controller is PS2 but the USB receiver is for PS3, or because I'm just not doing it right.

If I push the button on the dongle it flashes red. If I push A button on the guitar, it flashes red. If I push both at once, they both flash red....I think this is what I'm supposed to do to sync them, but it says to push "the" button on the guitar controller...if I push the bit with the light on it, nothing happens, does it matter which button I press? And what's it supposed to look like if I have successfully synched the controller with the receiver?

Or do I need to find a driver for this stuff to work on my PC? I dunno. My PC detected a USB controller ok, but then the icon to tell me this went away before I could see any details and I can't find any details now :o

Also...presumably I don't need to turn on the bluetooth of my laptop itself because that's pretty much my laptop's internal bluetooth receiver, which might actually interfere with the GH one?? I don't know this either.

As said before, not sure about PS side of things but your USB receiver should show up in device manager as a standard USB HID device if it installed. It should probably also be in 'game controllers' or 'devices and printers' depending on your OS?!?
Driver installation should be automatic.

I doubt the built in bluetooth affects it but I guess it can only help to turn it off for now.

I just looked up PS2 GH and found this
Plug in the little USB dongle that game with it. Then make sure the light on the dongle is on/flashing and if it is then press the PS button on the guitar once, then it should blink, then press it again. It should now be connected..

Aside from that, all I can offer is good luck! I feel your frustration! :(

spacebug
02-15-2011, 03:15 PM
Ah yep, found it in Device Manager. I'd been looking in the wrong place! Not under Sound Video and Game controllers (I guess this is a remnant from when joysticks plugged into the sound card) or Mice and other pointing devices.

Human Interface Devices! HID Compliant game controller.

I guess my next step should be to borrow someone's PS3 controller and see if that works.