PDA

View Full Version : What was your first impression of Half-Life 2?

Zombie_GMan
02-07-2011, 04:51 PM
Like, before you even played the game.

Mine:

---

I think I was about seven or eight (I'm fourteen now)when I saw, for the first time, a picture of a Strider. I don't exactly remember how I stumbled upon it, but it did make me curious. Anyway, I forgot about it for about two or three years until I found the Half-Life 2 wikipedia article, and thought, "Wow, this game looks really good." I had the game in my mind until last year when I finally bought it, and let me tell you, it was nothing like I expected! Honestly, I was expecting something a lot darker (like the Half-Life 2 'leak'), but the final game was also better than I thought it would be, and has remained a favorite title of mine ever since. :D

Jinoruizraged
02-07-2011, 05:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym4VmVwd24c#t=29s :cool:

Sasso
02-07-2011, 05:02 PM
I was about 15-16. I hadn't followed any of the pre-release news/happenings surrounding HL2. I just remembered HL1 as something I really liked. Then sometime in 2006 my cousin and I went out and bought it (retail ftw)

I got to play the first 3 chapters and IT WAS SO FREAKING AWESOME!

Burack
02-07-2011, 05:33 PM
I was 35 when I first see it :o
And I said, "This is it! They did it! They created the best game of all times"

In my first play, if I could give a level of 0 to 10, my amazement was about 12 throughout the game, and it didn't drop to 11.99 for even a fraction of a second.

Zekiran
02-07-2011, 05:44 PM
My ex had bought it when it was new, but I wasn't into fps gaming at all. He was very impressed, and when I went to visit him in another state he sat me down and showed me the intro scene. I was absolutely blown away. I hadn't really followed games before then so I wasn't exposed to any of it, not even the hl1 era.

Needless to say, once I decided to get into Portal, it was a downhill slide. But even though I've played HL2 quite some few times now, I am *still* blown away.

mimaz98
02-07-2011, 06:05 PM
To be perfectly honest, my first impressions weren't great at all. But, you know, I was 13 and I hadn't yet grown gaming balls. I was so caught up in the "not set at Black Mesa' mentality.

Oh, to be young and stupid.

Gabenfreeman
02-07-2011, 07:20 PM
I wasn't as blown away as I was by Hl1 (which was my first FPS and therefore made the biggest impression on me fps-wise) but I was still impressed. It couldn't possibly live up to the original for me but it was far from being a disappointment to me. It was/is a great game and that was all I could ask of it. I just don't hold it in quite the same regard as Hl1 due to the combination of nostalgia/how great that game was for its time.

Left4Bread676
02-07-2011, 07:28 PM
I was 17 and quite excited at the time. The game totally blew me away and it still does. But those memories are elapsed by the pain and frustrating steam connection/activiation problems during that period hahah. ;)

MovieMan999
02-07-2011, 07:30 PM
Well a friend lent me his Steam Account so I could check it out. By the time I got to Ravenholm I had fallen in love with the game. This was one of my first true FPS games, however, so I hadn't had much experience before hand. It definitely became my top game of all time and I have yet to play one to top it 140+ games later.

-- Oh, and I ended up buying every Valve game (a couple several times) including both Half-Life Anthology and Half-Life: Source, as well as gifting a few copies of Valve titles here and there, so I think I can justify the whole playing on someone else's Steam account thing. :)

mimaz98
02-07-2011, 07:37 PM
I wasn't as blown away as I was by Hl1 (which was my first FPS and therefore made the biggest impression on me fps-wise) but I was still impressed. It couldn't possibly live up to the original for me but it was far from being a disappointment to me. It was/is a great game and that was all I could ask of it. I just don't hold it in quite the same regard as Hl1 due to the combination of nostalgia/how great that game was for its time.

The nostalgia aspect is interesting, because I'm not sure it paints HL1 as actually being better than HL2.

maddios
02-07-2011, 08:31 PM
To be perfectly honest, my first impressions weren't great at all. But, you know, I was 13 and I hadn't yet grown gaming balls. I was so caught up in the "not set at Black Mesa' mentality.

Oh, to be young and stupid.

Makes you wonder how much you grew between playing HL2 and sitting here waiting for EP3/HL3.

mimaz98
02-07-2011, 08:38 PM
Quite a lot, I imagine. :p

gestures468
02-07-2011, 08:52 PM
I found some Mario themed gmod videos on YouTube when I was like 6 I forgot about them until I was 9 I discovered what gmod was and that lead me to half life 2 I asked my friend about it and he said he had the demo and he was telling mee a bout ravenholm and I thought it sounded to scary so I forgot about it again until the started giving lportsl swat got free. I discovered steam, which lead tp me discovering half life two again and then lead to my purchase of the orange boox sock lead tp many others purchases and my addiction ro pc gaming

Sorry fpr the spelling my compiter cranes an I'm usingmy iPod this post probly tool me six minutes to type... :eek:

Gabenfreeman
02-07-2011, 10:59 PM
The nostalgia aspect is interesting, because I'm not sure it paints HL1 as actually being better than HL2.

I think the former was far more influential than the latter. HL1 was nothing if not groundbreaking. For many like me it was the first glimpse into a world of first person shooters with actual stories and atmosphere and cleverly designed levels.

HL2 did a lot well- physics, the gravity gun, the facial animations, perhaps more- but it didn't reinvent the wheel like Hl1 essentially did. It didn't influence the genre as heavily as Hl1 did- and that's not even counting the mods which hl1 inspired which were also groundbreaking.

I suppose I should add that to my love of it as well- that hl1 was not only such a unique experience the first time I played it but also that it spawned a legion of awesome mods that I played for years and years. Hl2 has it's own set of mods but many of the more popular ones are essentially rehashes of what Hl1 instigated.

mimaz98
02-07-2011, 11:02 PM
I think the former was far more influential than the latter. HL1 was nothing if not groundbreaking. For many like me it was the first glimpse into a world of first person shooters with actual stories and atmosphere and cleverly designed levels.

HL2 did a lot well- physics, the gravity gun, the facial animations, perhaps more- but it didn't reinvent the wheel like Hl1 essentially did. It didn't influence the genre as heavily as Hl1 did- and that's not even counting the mods which hl1 inspired which were also groundbreaking.

None of this says that HL1 is better than HL2. Indeed, what is it exactly to even be 'influential'. What are the qualifications for that? HL2 was just as influential as HL1, albeit in a much more more subtle and multi-faceted manner.

I could also argue that HL2 is infinitely the better game.

Which it is.

Gabenfreeman
02-07-2011, 11:21 PM
None of this says that HL1 is better than HL2. Indeed, what is it exactly to even be 'influential'. What are the qualifications for that? HL2 was just as influential as HL1, albeit in a much more more subtle and multi-faceted manner.

I could also argue that HL2 is infinitely the better game.

Which it is.

Hl1 had actual story development, scripted scenes, a coherent plot other than endless waves of bad guys, and a hero was very much outside the norm of conventional fps characters. Such things were uncommon before hl1 and I don't think it's a stretch to say that any games that followed that type of format did so being inspired by the success of hl1. It was innovative and influenced a lot of the shooters to follow it.

To say nothing of the immensely popular mods which it spawned. Not that Hl2 hasn't also spawned it's own popular mods, but many of the more popular of these are rehashes of earlier hl1 mods (TFC 2 for example)

But in any case this argument is academic. I don't recall anywhere in the thread implying that hl1 is objectively better than hl2. I simply said that I hold hl1 in more regard, and admitted that part of that was due to the game's influence, and that part of that was due to how big of an affect it had on me, personally, seeing as how it was my first fps.

mimaz98
02-07-2011, 11:29 PM
It was innovative and influenced a lot of the shooters to follow it.

So too was - and has - Half-Life 2. Don't misunderstand me. You are perfectly entitled to prefer HL1 over HL2. That isn't the issue here, and I don't mean to quote you specifically to bring into question the actual quality of either game. I often see people here claiming that HL1 is the better game, and outside of what it did (you will notice few people argue what it does still do today), there's not a lot of credence behind it all.

I'm not so sure you can argue that HL1 is of a greater standard of quality than HL2. Certainly, it's not HL1's fault. It was a product of the time it was made in. But no matter how you string it, HL2 is far more polished and refined; in that sense, it's much, much better. It juggles more complex mechanics and concepts, sometimes simultaneously.

It's an interesting argument as all.

DirectVic
02-08-2011, 12:00 AM
Yes, I agree with Mimaz.

HL2 vastly improves upon HL1 in nearly every possible department.

It's simply put, the better game.

DustArma
02-08-2011, 12:10 AM
It somehow managed to look good and play well enough on my old computer, by old I mean it had a 1.5GHz Athlon XP CPU, 256MB RAM and a effin Geforce FX5200.

Needless to say, I was delightfuly impressed.

I had a great first impression of it, the voice acting, the physics, the graphics, etc. I still remember the ascend through the Citadel in that pod, the skyline just blew me away and the ending left me wanting for more, luckily for me I had bought HL2 at december 2006 so I didn't have to wait too long to play Episode 1.

However I will never forget the first time I loaded "A red letter day", I took about 15 minutes for it to load :o

Battlecruiser
02-08-2011, 04:10 AM
My first reaction when I played for the first time:

WOW, THIS IS AWESOME.

Being the young scrub that I was in 2004 (14 at the time), seeing a sequel to my favourite game that looked better tha anything else before it, I was blown away.
Then the episodes came, and I grew up; but this only deepened my apprecieation for the HL as a whole, as I found myself replaying each part, and contemplating and deliberating the art, the choices and the story, each single element that I found, now that I was older and was able to notice the little things, as well as the grand whole that was behind the gameplay.

While some say that HL2 is old by today's standards, I think that HL2 has aged like a good wine, and by now is a good, old friend that you've come to know, like and admire for what it is intrinsically. I've certainly come to feel like that as I grew up with the HL series.

Not all games are art, but if you were to point to an example of a game that did more than just entertain you for a few hours, then HL2 is the answer, with its robust community, great mods and places such as this forum.

Custom333
02-08-2011, 06:20 AM
I was 9 and I thought it was a geeky science game. :p "What kind of any real alien fighter had glasses?" Little did I know.

Doctor Nuriel
02-08-2011, 06:59 AM
I saw model renders of a Strider in a game magazine and thought it was about five or six times the size it actually is in the game.

Man, that'd be awesome :D

MrKillerNine
02-08-2011, 07:13 AM
A Blast from the past :)

2007CA
02-08-2011, 07:24 AM
Basically I wasn't into FPS gaming even a little. I played Paradox strategy games. But I hung out a lot on internet forums and discovered some dude who was kind of walking you through the first bits of the game with screenshots and so forth. I was so out of the loop that even in 2006 or 2007 (hence my username) when this happened, several years after the game's release, that the graphics still blew me away. On a whim I found it in the games section of a local mall's electronics store and picked it up. I was glued to the computer for days.

Boff
02-08-2011, 07:28 AM
I was not blown over by HL2, it took me a long time to see it's brilliance, but my un-informed, juvenile opinion at the time when something like this.

CONFUSED
Xen = bad-guys so who are the combine, why did they move in, how, when!! Why are the vorts suddenly our friends. Questions I had to look up on the internet for answers, which I wasn't happy about. (i didn't even know the nihilanth was in-charge or that the vorts were slaves).

I'm not playing Half life
Gameplay, it was underdeverloped and wasn't very innovative, it didn't do much more than what we've been seing in HL1, counter-strike and TFC.
they got vehicles in there, but small maps made the concept dumb.
I spent a long time without weapons.
Now I've spent a long time in a boat, all because they "nailed" water rendering.
I get to look at people talk with facial animation, but I can't talk back.
Now i have to grind my way through zombies with this gravity gun, because they nailed gravity simulation.
It's like the game is a damned tech demo.

It only began to feel like "Black mesa" during the later city 17 levels.

Graphics
Doom3 had just come out as had the tech demo for unreal3, so I was put out by the shadowing.
and the lighting that was burned onto the textures.

DRAMA
Oh I haven't seen this much bad drama, and set of circumstantial events outside of cheaply produced sci-fi series, where actors pretended to be horrified by things that were to expensive to show, and always "talked" about events, and we never got see them.
And the cheap attempts to make things feel "heavy" and dramatic, or loving and endearing.

Reflection
It wasn't until I started to play "other" AAA titles, and come back to HL2, even years later, did I start to see how advance the graphics were (and the shadowing),
and how detailed the enviroments were to fullfill the drama, and just little details.

I don't think, in retrospect I "got" half life 2 on the first playthrough, and definetly really didn't appreciate it. Not until I played around to see what else was out-there (advertised as Liquid Gold, but turned out tobe another Turd-pie) and realised the brilliance of HL2 is vastly understated, unlike the othergames PR HYPE machine with untested-unoptimised "latest" features that decimated your graphics card. That still don't work Half a decade later.

LambdaBR
02-08-2011, 07:36 AM
I was like: OMG look at these graphics!!

Solarmech
02-08-2011, 11:42 AM
What the BLEEP happened to the world?!? sm

GothicFighter
02-08-2011, 12:01 PM
I began playing Half Life only several months back for the first time.
When I finished Half Life + Expansions I've started HL2 right away. I was still under the amazement of the original Half Life. When I though nothing could be better, HL2 proved me wrong. It improved every aspect of the already perfect game: graphics,sound,gameplay and story.
I have finished the whole series in about 3 days, playing like a maniac, drawn into the rich virtual world Valve created. Replayed the series one more time next month to both understand the story better and enjoy the game(looking at the fine details,completing achievements).

First impression of Half Life/2?
"Holy [color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color]!"

/sorry for the dramatic post.

wickys
02-16-2011, 12:00 PM
i was 12 when i first got the orange box
best buy in my life

half life 2, the intro pretty much made me play for the rest of my life.
How you get introduced. i was like: best intro ever, when i realised all propaganda and the breencast, oh my god i cant say how long i've stood there looking at it. admiring it.

barneyinblue
02-16-2011, 01:15 PM
I didn't like it, and I still don't like it, but I have to admit, it's a good game. Half-Life 2 feels, and plays a lot like the original, but I think I would go with the original games any day. It was fun to to mess with the leak, and solve Erik Johnson's puzzles while waiting for the game to come out. I'm still waiting for Valve to get back to their roots, rather than finding new ways to dumb down their games for the casual market.

Such things were uncommon before hl1

System Shock.

Gordon He-Man
02-16-2011, 01:44 PM
What was your first impression of Half-Life 2?

I'm sorry...I just enjoy playing VALVe's games,
...I don't DO impressions...

(mind you, my Kleiner is QUITE good...)

monkeedude1212
02-16-2011, 01:49 PM
Ha? My first impression?

Why the hell is it lagging so badly on my 3 year old (now 11 year old laptop)? This opening sequence is hard to follow, its so choppy, which means it takes forever for Gman to go from line to line.

Okay. I'm on a train. Wait, it doesn't lag so bad when I look at the floor. Sweet, I'm looking at the floor, and getting a solid 12 FPS. Lets see how far before

BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH

Don't worry, I upgraded later that year and tried again, with multitudes of success.

ozgeek
02-18-2011, 08:38 PM
I was 24 in Sept 2005 when I went to harvey norman and saw HL2 on the shelves. I didn't know what HL was all about and because I had a new (crappy) computer at the time. So I bought the HL2 box with Alyx on it (http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091017004443/half-life/en/images/0/0f/HL2_Alyx_cover.jpg) lol

Installed and played it (which is the day I was introduced to Steam). Now 6 years later, I have ALL the HL games :) loved the games :) Very impressed.

Kibblesman
02-20-2011, 08:02 PM
I remember falling out of my chair when the fast zombies attacked me in Ravenholm in the first encounter with them.

It was priceless.

henno13
02-21-2011, 04:04 AM
I came late to the party. I got it with the Orange Box at Christmas 2007. My first thought was "Where has this game been all of my life?"

I don't think there's any other game that I can play again and again without getting bored.

Comrade Philip
02-21-2011, 08:37 AM
I was 14 and scared ♥♥♥♥less about Ravenholm :P

Zombie_GMan
02-21-2011, 08:38 AM
I was 14 and scared ♥♥♥♥less about Ravenholm :P

Exactly the same here. =P