PDA

View Full Version : GamersGate ''We're not afraid of steam''

Pages : [1] 2

maZiix™
02-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Source - http://www.mcvuk.com/news/42939/Steam-is-peaking

CEO of digital portal GamersGate reckons Valve's portal will struggle to maintain market dominance

Steam's dominance of the PC video games digital distribution sector is on the wane, according to the CEO of rival digital games portal GamersGate.

"To be honest, we’re not afraid of Steam," CEO Theo Bergquist told Industry Gamers. "We think they are peaking now while the market is still very hardcore.

"In fact, we know from the feedback we receive from customers, one of the reasons we have such great growth is because many gamers out there don’t like Steam and see GamersGate as a better alternative."

"Some people say Steam has 50 per cent of the market, some say 80 per cent, but we don’t know. What we do know is that Steam’s market share will shrink in the future and that GamersGate is well positioned as one of the digital distribution platforms that has strong momentum to gain market share."

Bergquist also predicts that 2011 will be a tipping point in the battle between traditional boxed games and their digital counterparts.

"You should never underestimate the importance of the physical store," he added. "At the same time, the market is moving faster now. Some of our partners tell us that in only a year their revenues from digital downloads have moved from 10-20 per cent of their revenue to over 50-80 per cent.

'I think 2011 will be a tipping point for digital downloads in which they should really take off. Digital distribution is no longer a business development project for publishers; it’s an integral part of the sales organisation. They look at the greater revenue split they can get from digital as compared to physical, and it’s easy math to decide that they should focus on digital."

bluz74
02-08-2011, 02:16 PM
Haha....bullcrap. And this is literally the first time I've ever heard of GamersGate. Long live Steam. :)

B33 ENN
02-08-2011, 02:19 PM
..."To be honest, we’re not afraid of Steam," CEO Theo Bergquist told Industry Gamers..."

What else can he say if he wants to keep the job: "Yeh, I'm brickin' it, mate! This time next year we gonna get creamed by that Steamroller Newell's been driving around in :eek:" ?

ResidentEvil
02-08-2011, 02:22 PM
he has to say that since he works for them. He's in total denial though about steam shrinking. More competition will come but steam does things very well and keeps improving.

Matthew94
02-08-2011, 02:26 PM
i clicked
i read
i lol'd

mouton
02-08-2011, 02:38 PM
Bullcrap or no, I wish them luck. You should too, especially if you like Steam.

HylianTheBlade
02-08-2011, 02:45 PM
so whos gamersgate... i've heard of d2d but never heard of gamersgate @_@...

AlphaFox
02-08-2011, 02:47 PM
They have to say that or else no one will buy from them. If they said that they were afraid of Steam then it makes them look weak. If they said they are not in position to take over from Steam, they look dumb.

They have to say it, even if its not true.

Justin7
02-08-2011, 02:55 PM
Hah.

The only people who really use other Digital Stores are the one that don't wanna be part of "the machine". Like Linux/Apple fans who don't wanna be with windows. Of course not all of them, some go there for a better deal, some people don't care where they buy at all.

Either way, Steam is only getting bigger and bigger every year. Him saying that it's shrinking is just hilarious. In the 2 months that Steam had treasure hunt/christmas sale Steam gained a million extra active users online at the same time. And they are still here. I don't know if he knows what shrinking means.

AsheMan
02-08-2011, 02:58 PM
I've never used GamersGate, but competition can be a good thing. Let's get some price wars going on these games!

real4xor
02-08-2011, 02:59 PM
He should`ve said "Challenge accepted :cool:" "We`s gonna PWN the market despite the Steaming competition" RAWR.

Right now I think they actually áre dripping their pants and quivering in fear for the great and grand competition they have to put up with.

"we`s not afraid" -.- a line used by quivering little mice that are surrounded by cats.

Decapbunnies
02-08-2011, 03:01 PM
i'll be surprised if steam has 50% of the market share, seriously what games distributer forgets about pes 2011 or fifa 2011? plus all the other games you can get on sites like gamersgate and gamesplanet that aint on steam.

bseo927
02-08-2011, 03:03 PM
i'll be surprised if steam has 50% of the market share, seriously what games distributer forgets about pes 2011 or fifa 2011? plus all the other games you can get on sites like gamersgate and gamesplanet that aint on steam.

Then by all means use GamersGate and leave Steam.

ItsUBERENGIE
02-08-2011, 03:05 PM
Who the hell is GamersGate. Well, this can only be good for us. Competition = lower prices, more sales

DarkLite123
02-08-2011, 03:09 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has never heard of gamersgate before.

kbe2k9
02-08-2011, 03:24 PM
I've heard of them but never once been to their site until now, they don't seem to offer anything special I mean GOG offers cheap awesome classic titles with bonus features and Green Man Gaming offers trade ins on digital purchases. This site (as in GamersGate) isn't even on par with Impulse and D2D, Steam is on a whole new level from all of these in my opinion and while I wish it had more classic titles like GOG and a trade in system like GMG it still has a huge store front of games and the sales are epic not to mention it's Valve's baby.

Hi2u! Tw1TcH
02-08-2011, 03:28 PM
I've used GamersGate for a couple years, they're solid. Plus they have no client you have to download or keep open. Sometimes they have games cheaper than Steam.

B33 ENN
02-08-2011, 03:29 PM
GFWM and Impulse are the only others I've used. GFWM for Microsoft's own published stuff that Steam doesn't have, and Impulse for utility software. Steam has the best style, service and content currently.

crunchyfrog555
02-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Well, the saying goes "the proof's in the pudding"...

If he's making unfounded bold statements like this, GamersGate better have some innovation or two in the pipeline that knocks the socks off Steam's model.

As I hold Valve in the highest regard as developers and innovators, GamersGate's staff would at least have to be equal to this to stand a chance.

So I say, bluff and bluster, all in order to get their name mentioned in a cheap publicity stunt.

And if that's their best tactic, I don't suppose they'll be at it too long.

Aemony
02-08-2011, 03:33 PM
Facebook popularity equals length of market-♥♥♥♥♥!

Steam fan page: 499 331
HOLY ♥♥♥♥, THEY SOON HIT 500 000!!! GO LIKE, NAOW!

GamersGate fan page: 5 553
THEY JUST HIT 5 000, LET'S CHEER FOR THEM!!!

GamersGate Store FB application: 16 741 active users each month

I can't help but feel sorry for them... The simple fact that they 'only' have 5 500 fans on FB while having a FB button on every page of their website but still only having 1% the numbers of fans of Steam, whom have no FB like button, is... quite... sad...

But fight on! You can overcome Steam in *looks at calendar* another 30 years in valve time!

paratech2008
02-08-2011, 03:33 PM
I use Direct 2 Drive, Steam, and Good ole Games. I don't see the point to think one service should be the only source of digital games. I also have a PSP and Wii and have purchased digital games on those systems as well.

The majority of my games are from Steam, but I like competition for my money. I like Good ole games having old games without DRM, I like having Direct 2 Drive as another option, I like having a portable and my Wii.

I don't love or hate Steam. I simply am a customer of Steam. I don't expect anything from big business other than the opportunity to buy cheap games from them.

Aemony
02-08-2011, 03:37 PM
Well, the saying goes "the proof's in the pudding"...

If he's making unfounded bold statements like this, GamersGate better have some innovation or two in the pipeline that knocks the socks of Steam's model.

As I hold Valve in the highest regard as developers and innovators, GamersGate's staff would at least have to be equal to this to stand a chance.

So I say, bluff and bluster, all in order to get their name mentioned in a cheap publicity stunt.

And if that's their best tactic, I don't suppose they'll be at it too long.

The truth of the matter is that many features Valve implemented in Steam was first developed and innovated in other stores. All from seasonal sales to weekend madnesses and more.

Take the Mac store, for example. GamersGate added their Mac store in 2009, a whole year before Valve even announced a Mac store.

The 'only' innovation about Steam is the Steamworks and the service provided, which almost no other digital distributor seems even out to compete against.

Jinoruizraged
02-08-2011, 03:41 PM
What other digital distrabution platform gives users server tools?

The3rdPoliceman
02-08-2011, 03:41 PM
Don't see a reason to lol about. Seems like what you'd expect to hear from a competitor. He didn't attack Valve or anything. Though I never used Gamers Gate I've heard good things. Also, afaik they support Linux, and to reset anything that has limited activation, all you need to do is mail them. So they have a few pluses.

Btw, I keep reading about developers, publishers etc who has something to say about Valve or Steam. Has anyone ever read a comment made by a Valve employee about other companies or digital distribution clients?

crunchyfrog555
02-08-2011, 03:48 PM
The truth of the matter is that many features Valve implemented in Steam was first developed and innovated in other stores. All from seasonal sales to weekend madnesses and more.

Take the Mac store, for example. GamersGate added their Mac store in 2009, a whole year before Valve even announced a Mac store.

The 'only' innovation about Steam is the Steamworks and the service provided, which almost no other digital distributor seems even out to compete against.

I was referring more to Valve's innovation slightly more than Steam, but not to matter.

It matters little in this regard who thought of an idea, but how you implement it.

I can't think of many who would say "nah, I'm not going to go use that shop, because they use an idea that xxx used first". As I've already said, they better have something in the pipeline at least equal to Steam.

That was mostly a reflection as to their capabilities as a company, saying I don't believe they have the nous behind the scenes to compete with Valve/Steam.

But the bottom line is this - people will always go with what is easier, and better for them (and cheaper to an extent, but not always).

I just can't see them competing as, quite simply, they're not in the same league, and if they resort to cheap publicity like this interview, I do worry for them.

Lastly, this is not to say that I'm Steam all the way - I love to see as much competition as possible. After all, it only benefits us gamers. This is one of the reasons I own over 58 computers/consoles ... either that or I'm just a greedy sod.

apaeth
02-08-2011, 03:54 PM
I use Direct 2 Drive, Steam, and Good ole Games. I don't see the point to think one service should be the only source of digital games. I also have a PSP and Wii and have purchased digital games on those systems as well.

The majority of my games are from Steam, but I like competition for my money. I like Good ole games having old games without DRM, I like having Direct 2 Drive as another option, I like having a portable and my Wii.

I don't love or hate Steam. I simply am a customer of Steam. I don't expect anything from big business other than the opportunity to buy cheap games from them.

Well said...

While Gamersgate may not be a force in the DD market they do offer some good deals from time to time, have a cashback for credit incentive and allow unlimited downloads. They seem to focus on non-core European games (not surprisingly since they are based in Sweden).

What the representative is saying may actually be the truth. Amazon is already getting their foot in the door on digital downloads and it wouldn't surprise me to see stores like Newegg jump into the arena at some point.

Eventually more developers will begin selling games directly to consumers in order to cut out the middle man. Look at the prices THQ sold the Warhammer games for over the weekend. They were 50% lower than Steam's current midweek prices for DoW II and Chaos Rising.

AlphaFox
02-08-2011, 03:56 PM
Once EP:3 is released, say goodbye to any other digital distribution service for PC...

crunchyfrog555
02-08-2011, 03:59 PM
Once EP:3 is released, say goodbye to any other digital distribution service for PC...

... and say hello to a load of annoyed impatient users who can't get on Steam on the release day ;)

IIIIGooseIIII
02-08-2011, 03:59 PM
I've heard of them but never once been to their site until now

Mission accomplished.

MADDOGGE
02-08-2011, 04:25 PM
He should`ve said "Challenge accepted :cool:" "We`s gonna PWN the market despite the Steaming competition" RAWR.

Right now I think they actually áre dripping their pants and quivering in fear for the great and grand competition they have to put up with.

"we`s not afraid" -.- a line used by quivering little mice that are surrounded by cats.Exactly it would have been funny, pro DD, and set the tone for a interesting challenge with out being perceived as a wooose. That was one weak assed statement.:D:D

Though one day Steam may fall or get absorbed as no company lasts forever; this last year has seen a huge increase in Steam users and I don't see that changing in the next couple of years.

Lets see I have heard basically good things about D2D though Ihave never bought from them, EA store:(, THQ store which I bought Metro on $10 sale, GOG which I love, GWFL store (it's getting better sorta) but haven't a clue about no Gamersgate. Must be a really big outfit. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sgt. Unknown
02-08-2011, 04:35 PM
Wow, they might as well just come out and say, "Yes, we are afraid of Steam, so we'll give a speech saying that we're not." Not to mention i think they are jealous of Valve owning most of the gaming industry. :p

battlefrank8
02-08-2011, 07:21 PM
If Gamersgate want to have a hope in hell they need to branch into linux, otherwise, no, they will come and go like everyone else.
Even if they do, chances are they're screwed.

Void(null)
02-08-2011, 07:33 PM

Competition only benefits the customer in the end!

I have kept on eye on GamerGate for the past year or so and they have some great deals and some great business practices. I know at one point they were owned by Paradox who are also awesome.

If GamersGate does well, it will only serve to encourage Steam to continue to innovate and it may even coerce them into bettering their customer service which as far as I am concerned, is the only area where steam gets less than an A Grade.

Long live Steam, Long Live GamersGate, Long Live Impulse! May they remain competitive and may they continue to try and out do each other to sell me games that i wanted to buy anyway.

DarkOmegaX
02-08-2011, 07:35 PM
I wish I could say that I am surprised by the amoun of f4nboyism on this thread but being on this forums it is to be expected. GG is a solid digital store, so is D2D and to a lesser extend GOG and Impulse. GG has lots of advantages for the customer if you bother to check their reward programs and the best now if they offer me the chance to buy Steamworks titles without paying a dime to Valve XD.

zeroskill
02-08-2011, 07:56 PM
Steam is the best service for PC gamers, why go to a store page if you have a fully integrated community based service? They dont even play in the same league.

Why would I alienate myself from my friends that play Counterstrike / Team Fortress using a inferior downloading service that dont offer steam cloud, extended information about friends (what games they play, what servers they are active on and so on)?

Why would I support a company (GamersGate) that obviously dont care if they selling toilets or videogames, unless they make a profit doing it?

Valve is part of the gaming community, being one of the last 2 videogame developers that mainly focus their development efforts on PC gaming (the other being Blizzard). They are the stongest part of videogame modding with the source engine, and all their games support custom maps and content. Why in the name of crap wouldnt I want to support them?

Europhoria
02-08-2011, 07:56 PM
I have five other DD accounts, GG, GmG, GoG, Impulse and D2D. It's nothing personal, just business as usual. I've picked up some games far cheaper on the rival site and guess what, around the same time they started doing sales during the year (like Thanksgiving), Steam started doing the same. You can say long live Steam, but I'll say long live my wallet, well maybe a little longer.

Mr_Pantaloons
02-08-2011, 07:58 PM
One of the big reasons why I prefer Steam over GamersGate, D2D, and other similarly competing services is that Steam is more of a PLATFORM rather than just a service. With one program I can access all the games I got, manage them (defrag, backup restore, view manual, organize etc.), see forums for the games, join groups for the games, find/chat with friends, and above all, be able to download my games in one convenient spot. steamapps is essentially my "games" folder.

None of the other services provide that, and in the case of services like D2D, they pretty much just vomit the game's install files onto your lap and call it a day. What do I DO with the files after I'm done? Delete them all after I'm done installing? Burn them onto a DVD (and quite probably more than one DVD per game)? Because if I keep it in my drive it's essentially occupying twice the size on my hard drive. It's completely unacceptable with games like Grand Theft Auto IV. Ain't no way in hell I'm devoting close to 30 gigs on my hard drive for one game. Hell, 15 gigs is ridiculous enough, no need to double that.

So unless competitors like GamersGate and D2D can offer a platform as robust as Steam's and manage the install files properly rather than just dump them all in my lap and tell me to "deal with them" while they wear sunglasses, and of course have as many crazy good sales as Steam has, all this trash talk of "oh Steam's gonna fail, just you watch" is just wishful fantasy on their part.

Draek
02-08-2011, 08:01 PM
Duh. As OSX and Linux have shown on PCs and Windows Mobile shows still on phones, all you need to maintain a healthy and profitable business with a tiny marketshare is to grow at a pace similar to that of the market itself. I have no doubts that Impulse, GamersGate and the rest will still be around in three, four years even if Steam holds what? 80% of the DD market? simply because the market is growing at such a rate they don't need to cannibalize onto Steam's sales to make money.

crunchyfrog555
02-08-2011, 08:03 PM
Competition only benefits the customer in the end!

I have kept on eye on GamerGate for the past year or so and they have some great deals and some great business practices. I know at one point they were owned by Paradox who are also awesome.

If GamersGate does well, it will only serve to encourage Steam to continue to innovate and it may even coerce them into bettering their customer service which as far as I am concerned, is the only area where steam gets less than an A Grade.

Long live Steam, Long Live GamersGate, Long Live Impulse! May they remain competitive and may they continue to try and out do each other to sell me games that i wanted to buy anyway.

Well put!

Despite my comments about the seemingly amateur-ish comments by the guy from GamersGate, this is what it's all about (I've said as much elsehwere) - competition is not only good for the customer, but it's good for the market as a whole.

The more companies that are competing, the more they'll push each other, even inadvertently.

As an overall view of the digitally-distributed games market, I'd have to say, as customers we're not doing too badly. Yes, it's true that newly-released games are full RRP (or as near as dammit), but many physical copies can be found for much less, but this is an area which I think will improve in time.

So, we've got Steam obviously, which does have it's flaws (I concur with the customer service area ones), we've got GamersGate, Direct2Drive (who have their downloadable rental scheme), Good Old Games (who are champions of nostalgia, and include some great bonuses with their purchases), not to mention Xbox Live and PSN (who do their Premium service too).

There's more I haven't mentioned, but as this is a new market, that's not a bad set of options we've got in one so young.

Long may it continue.

crunchyfrog555
02-08-2011, 08:08 PM
Duh. As OSX and Linux have shown on PCs and Windows Mobile shows still on phones, all you need to maintain a healthy and profitable business with a tiny marketshare is to grow at a pace similar to that of the market itself. I have no doubts that Impulse, GamersGate and the rest will still be around in three, four years even if Steam holds what? 80% of the DD market? simply because the market is growing at such a rate they don't need to cannibalize onto Steam's sales to make money.

This is what I do believe (or rather hope) this is the case for them, assuming that the GamersGate guy's little spiel wasn't too indicative of his business acumen.

Using your quite acceptable model, there is no reason at all it couldn't be this way. After all Blizzard have got a huge slice of the MMORPG market, yet many others exist and indeed thrive. Although with that example, most people stick with just the one MMO, but I don't see that as too dissimilar for many with digital distribution retailers.

Well put!

zeroskill
02-08-2011, 08:10 PM
Well put!

Despite my comments about the seemingly amateur-ish comments by the guy from GamersGate, this is what it's all about (I've said as much elsehwere) - competition is not only good for the customer, but it's good for the market as a whole.

The more companies that are competing, the more they'll push each other, even inadvertently.

As an overall view of the digitally-distributed games market, I'd have to say, as customers we're not doing too badly. Yes, it's true that newly-released games are full RRP (or as near as dammit), but many physical copies can be found for much less, but this is an area which I think will improve in time.

So, we've got Steam obviously, which does have it's flaws (I concur with the customer service area ones), we've got GamersGate, Direct2Drive (who have their downloadable rental scheme), Good Old Games (who are champions of nostalgia, and include some great bonuses with their purchases), not to mention Xbox Live and PSN (who do their Premium service too).

There's more I haven't mentioned, but as this is a new market, that's not a bad set of options we've got in one so young.

Long may it continue.

Although I agree that competition is good for the market, Valve and Steam have shown in the past they dont need to be pushed to come up with innovation.

Also Id like to add that GoG doesnt compete in the same area, since they are mainly feeding a niche. Also 95% of the games being sold on GoG are freeware by now, the service they are providing is merely optimization of old games for modern operating systems, so you dont need dosbox to run those.

crunchyfrog555
02-08-2011, 08:20 PM
Altho I agree that competition is good for the market, Valve and Steam have shown in the past they dont need to be pushed to come up with innovation.

Also Id like to add that GoG doesnt compete in the same area, since they are mainly feeding a niche. Also 95% of the games being sold on GoG are freeware by now, the service they are providing is mearly optimization of old games for modern operating systems, so you dont need dosbox to run those.

Quite true indeed. But with GoG's examples it's not really necessary for them to compete in the same area. The whole thing from a customer's point of view is that it's damned good for us - more choice!

That is a good point about the optimization and freeware though. Which is one of the things I dearly adore about GOG: I've said many times that I've been buying games since 1976 (way back to the days of punch tape), and that I've never sold a game. Yet some of those older PC games I will happily buy again from GOG just to get them slapped straight on one of my current PCs with no hassle. For a few quid, you just can't go wrong.

Plus, for the true fan, those little extras they have with each game is sometimes worth the outlay alone.

Could you say the same for the digitally distributed music market?

That's something I haven't got into, simply because I'm an audiophile, and the music you download (assuming you can get it) is often an unspectacular MP3. Yes, we have lossless now, but it's not exactly an abundance of choice, like being able to buy a 180gram MFSL vinyl copy. The day an equivalent like that turns up, maybe I'll start getting interested in downloadable music.

Personally, considering my hoarding nature, I still far prefer a physical copy of a game, but when you've got such a tempting market as we've currently got, it's sometimes too good to refuse.

Void(null)
02-08-2011, 08:23 PM
Altho I agree that competition is good for the market, Valve and Steam have shown in the past they dont need to be pushed to come up with innovation.

Which is why their customer service and policy's are exactly as it was day one.

Sure Steam may continue to improve and add to the Steam UI but their business practices are archaic when compared to GamersGate and Impulse.

Games Require a dedicated launcher to be running. No Refunds, No Returns, Accounts Locked and banned without notice or warning. VAC is asinine, unpredictable and unwaveringly absolute. many games require a special steam version of a patch which either the publisher or Steam have simply never updated causing mismatched versions for Steam Users.

Steam does a lot right, this is why I own 319 games on their service but there is significant room for improvement in certain areas and all of them seem to be aspects Valve has been unwilling to address or compromise upon, and those are the areas that its competitors will challenge it upon.

I love Steam, but I hate not knowing if the next time I buy a game if I am going to lose access to my account that I have spent thousands on... due to a paypal billing error.

crunchyfrog555
02-08-2011, 08:35 PM

Sure Steam may continue to improve and add to the Steam UI but their business practices are archaic when compared to GamersGate and Impulse.

Games Require a dedicated launcher to be running. No Refunds, No Returns, Accounts Locked and banned without notice or warning. VAC is asinine, unpredictable and unwaveringly absolute. many games require a special steam version of a patch which either the publisher or Steam have simply never updated causing mismatched versions for Steam Users.

Steam does a lot right, this is why I own 319 games on their service but there is significant room for improvement in certain areas and all of them seem to be aspects Valve has been unwilling to address or compromise upon, and those are the areas that its competitors will challenge it upon.

I love Steam, but I hate not knowing if the next time I buy a game if I am going to lose access to my account that I have spent thousands on... due to a paypal billing error.

Sadly very, very true. The reason I chucked Paypal very quickly some years ago after some pathetic behaviour with an Ebay purchase. They're a crap business themselves, and frankly it's shameful the way they can get away without being regulated in a fashion similar to banks.

Very salient points about Steam, and I quite agree. Their unwavering and oft-questionable conditions I can see being a major sticking point for them in the future. Although I must confess you can get refunds (well you can in the UK), but they obviously state otherwise, which I understand to a degree, but as with many of their other conditions, they say so in a very abrupt, authoritative way.

I wasn't aware their conditions hadn't really changed since day one, which as you rightly say, speaks for itself. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the only thing that gets any change of note will be if someone, somwhere gets litiginous with them. There's certainly a couple of areas which are a bit naughty within UK law.

EleOnAUnicycle
02-08-2011, 08:36 PM

Beautifully said. I hope they change everything you commented upon especially how if you lose your account, you lose your games. Does any of the other digital download stores do that?

CannibalBob
02-08-2011, 08:47 PM
I have a dozen or so games on GG. They're good; have a huge catalog and have some good sales quite frequently. It's hard to sift through their sales since they do pad them with a lot of unknown, possibly crappy games. But, they get a good sale on some sweet games every so often. For example, Eschalon finally got on sale there for <$10. AFAIK, the price has never been that low on Steam.

For example, I do know Valve screens games before releasing them for sale on Steam, making sure they are good games. Some may slip through the cracks, but all in all, they keep out a lot of 2-day highschool project games. Gamersgate, on the other hand, seems more than willing to put up any game they can get their hands on.

DoubleD
02-08-2011, 08:55 PM
Source - http://www.mcvuk.com/news/42939/Steam-is-peaking

"To be honest, we’re not afraid of Steam," CEO Theo Bergquist told Industry Gamers.

When you say this you ARE afraid. ;)

paratech2008
02-08-2011, 08:57 PM

Also Id like to add that GoG doesnt compete in the same area, since they are mainly feeding a niche. Also 95% of the games being sold on GoG are freeware by now, the service they are providing is mearly optimization of old games for modern operating systems, so you dont need dosbox to run those.

Um, How do you come up with that nonsense? Games have copyrights of 75+ years. Please point out the 95% of Good ole games that are free?

hairbautt
02-08-2011, 08:59 PM
Steam has features such as SteamWorks, Cloud and achievements...So why would I consider GamersGate?

I've never heard of'em before.

crunchyfrog555
02-08-2011, 08:59 PM
When you say this you ARE afraid. ;)

Actually, he may have skin made out of silicon, and THAT'S what he meant by being unafraid of Steam - he won't get third degree burns like everyone else...erm

Zorlac
02-08-2011, 09:24 PM
Haha....bullcrap. And this is literally the first time I've ever heard of GamersGate. Long live Steam. :)

Need to get out from under your rock then.

Also for anyone else insulting them you need to take a business class and understand why competition is a good thing.

MADDOGGE
02-08-2011, 09:31 PM
Gamersgate, on the other hand, seems more than willing to put up any game they can get their hands on.Humm perhaps I need to check them out as some of my best times gaming have been with underrated or got no face time games. the major studios just crank out the same crap over and over. New skins, new maps, same game.:(

Zorloc it's not about competition which I agree benefits everyone but about the wimpy message the guy put out. The more GOOD DD sevices out the lower the prices could be. Unless they all collude and shaft us.

{Yotsuba}
02-08-2011, 09:35 PM
I use GamersGate far more than I do Steam these days. The fact that you earn cash back on purchases, etc., is also rather nice. For example, thanks to that I've gotten games like Dead Rising 2 for free and Test Drive Unlimited 2 for less than $20. And those both on day of release. They also have a price guarantee for pre-orders which refunds the difference in price should the cost of the game be lowered for 6 or more days within the first 30 days of release. In these respects, Steam simply cannot compete right now.

Further to that, GamersGate sell Steamworks titles in my region that I cannot purchase directly from Steam. So again, Steam simply cannot complete in that respect.

And lets not forget that their support is certainly far better than Steam's. Case in point, bought a game on Steam that was completely broken. Submitted support ticket to Steam and got a response over two years later (not exaggerating). Bought a completely broken game on GamersGate, got full refund within a week.

Thus, these days for me, Steam is only worth buying from when they have a product that GamersGate does not. Or when they offer up a large discount. But my days of buying new releases at full price on Steam are basically long since over.

I'm also not surprised most people here have never heard of GamersGate. It's a small company (employee count of 8) based in Europe which, prior to last year, wasn't really a viable source for non-EU based customers. But since last year, they've been adding servers for the US, thus significantly increasing their download speeds for the US and neighbouring regions.

CTRL ALT DEL !
02-08-2011, 09:38 PM
Steam is like the qwerty keyboard and Microsoft OS, someone may make a better layout or a better app, but because you can't transfer you games Steam has a big head start.

Dirtman73
02-08-2011, 10:10 PM
I've stopped buying all my DD games from Steam exclusively like I used to. The fact of the matter is that a little research when shopping for a game online will yield some decent price comparisons. That's how I found Impulse, GamersGate, Good Old Games, and Direct2Drive.

You're only a fanboi if you refuse to shop around.

LimyGeorge
02-08-2011, 10:57 PM

Excellent post. Having said that I like Steam, but I will not risk downloading any games from them that cost more that $4.99 due to previous problems getting games activated (steam ran out of keys! LOL)

I use it mainly to verify store bought disks and pick up the excellent sales items that steam have from time to time.

Unfortunately, Steam is not a mature company yet. And won't be until it addresses the problems in the quoted post and establishes a proper customer service/support system.

Competition is good, and will hopefully push steam to make their service one that can be trusted.

Sir_Brizz
02-08-2011, 11:43 PM
I've stopped buying all my DD games from Steam exclusively like I used to. The fact of the matter is that a little research when shopping for a game online will yield some decent price comparisons. That's how I found Impulse, GamersGate, Good Old Games, and Direct2Drive.

You're only a fanboi if you refuse to shop around.
I don't shop around out of convenience. It's just easy to buy games on Steam, have them in the same games list, have them available to download/install on a whim without having to go through lengthy installation processes after downloading the game and all the other simply convenient things that Steam provides.

I don't really have anything against GamersGate or anyone else. They are just more like Greece in the race to the moon, i.e. not a competitor. That said, I'd like to see some more stiff competition out of some of these other guys, but I don't have much hope for that happening. Nobody seems to care how far ahead Valve are with Steam right now, and it's been this way for three years, at least.

MaxMad
02-09-2011, 01:02 AM
I'm quite surprised that they didn't go out of business until now, good for them. In the meantime, I am enjoy my games on Steam

MrSniker
02-09-2011, 01:23 AM
I use GamersGate far more than I do Steam these days. The fact that you earn cash back on purchases, etc., is also rather nice. For example, thanks to that I've gotten games like Dead Rising 2 for free and Test Drive Unlimited 2 for less than $20. And those both on day of release. They also have a price guarantee for pre-orders which refunds the difference in price should the cost of the game be lowered for 6 or more days within the first 30 days of release. In these respects, Steam simply cannot compete right now.

How does this work? I'm actually genuinely interested as while I don't mind buying off of Steam, I'm not particularly fond of merely giving my company to one company. So buying Steamworks titles off Gamers Gate somewhat interests me.

I can't find anything relating to what you said on Gamers Gate about it if you've got a link that'd be great!

With that being said, if I'm paying retail and both games are the same, it's Impulse all the way. My only problem with Impulse is their sales are reaaaally hit and miss.

{Yotsuba}
02-09-2011, 01:33 AM
How does this work? I'm actually genuinely interested as while I don't mind buying off of Steam, I'm not particularly fond of merely giving my company to one company. So buying Steamworks titles off Gamers Gate somewhat interests me.

You buy the game from them as normal after which you can download the install files directly from them, and then add the serial key to Steam when asked. Or, you can take the key and use it to "activate a game on Steam" then download directly.

The game will show up in Steam under your account details as a "retail" purchase.

HeatSurge
02-09-2011, 01:53 AM
Gamerswhat? Enough said...

Good try at PR/advertising though.

Briticent
02-09-2011, 01:54 AM
Then by all means use GamersGate and leave Steam.

Or, you know, he could use both.

madmarten
02-09-2011, 01:57 AM
GamersGate, Direct2Drive and GreenManGaming have Steamworks titles, and they usually offer a better deal than Steam store.

frankvdg
02-09-2011, 02:23 AM
GamersGate, Direct2Drive and GreenManGaming have Steamworks titles, and they usually offer a better deal than Steam store.

and by usually you mean: At times certain titles are cheaper in one place, at other times in another.

kakkerlak
02-09-2011, 02:28 AM
we’re not afraid of Steam
that usually means they are afraid , ofcourse noting wrong with a little fear it is good for us the consumer.

madmarten
02-09-2011, 03:09 AM
and by usually you mean: At times certain titles are cheaper in one place, at other times in another.
Sales excluded, of course. On GamersGate, you get 5% of the purchase price back as blue coins, so you get a better deal even if the stores have the same price, which they usually have.

There aren't too many Steamworks games that are normally cheaper on Steam store than elsewhere. The only one I can think of is Breach, which is 5€ more expensive on Direct2Drive.

Silyus
02-09-2011, 03:10 AM
"To be honest, we’re not afraid of Steam,"
Herr..ok, but who the hell are you, again?

Raul
02-09-2011, 04:21 AM

Wise words, from a wise man. Not many left on Steam...

Nirguna
02-09-2011, 04:31 AM
Why the hell do you have to be loyal to only one DD service? I have games from Steam, GamersGate, Direct2Drive, Impulse, EADM, G4WL and GOG. I shop where I get the best deal, or the best version of the game (Region locked on Steam... I'll try GamersGate).

Sure Steam is the leader in the PC DD biz at this point in time, but competition *IS* a good thing which we can only benefit from!

Pheace
02-09-2011, 04:59 AM
Why the hell do you have to be loyal to only one DD service? I have games from Steam, GamersGate, Direct2Drive, Impulse, EADM, G4WL and GOG. I shop where I get the best deal, or the best version of the game (Region locked on Steam... I'll try GamersGate).

Sure Steam is the leader in the PC DD biz at this point in time, but competition *IS* a good thing which we can only benefit from!

Because I have a few games from other services, and I barely touch them.

Once they are uninstalled I tend to forget, because if I feel like playing something, I go through my (much larger) Steam library first, and either play something already installed or click and install it if it catches my eye.

I *much* prefer sticking to one DD service if I can help it. Only games I get somewhere else these days are the ones exclusive to other services.

If it's cheaper somewhere else? So what? I can wait. It'll be that cheap in Steam eventually as well.

cadpig
02-09-2011, 06:02 AM
Competition is good. Still love steam:)

MADDOGGE
02-09-2011, 07:05 AM
GamersGate, Direct2Drive and GreenManGaming have Steamworks titles, and they usually offer a better deal than Steam store.Not really except for a sale if you catch it all their prices seem to be in line with Steams. At least in the US. Considering how inflated Steams prices are in the EU and Australia maybe the other DD's are a better deal for them than Steam.

Aemony
02-09-2011, 07:09 AM

Because I want my list of games to be sorted and in one place, not seven different places? I feel it unnecessary enough that I need to install Impulse every time I want to install my StarDock software, so actually having games on it? No way.

But it's good to know that you have no problem against it since I benefit from the competition you help keeping alive! And I've enough games on Steam to wait for new ones to go on sale before I buy them.

Zeradan
02-09-2011, 07:19 AM
Even though i am a Steam fan, i must admit that GG has a really nice Support.
I got Neverwinter Nights 2 from them when one Day later it went on Sale...so i wrote them a Mail and i recieved the the Difference in those GamersGate Coins which i could use for further purchases.

Beside i had a Problem with TDU where Atari couldnt help me and so they also refunded me without Problems.

So thats a big Plus for GG.

worse1
02-09-2011, 07:57 AM
I never bought a game at GG but I only heard good things about em so far. I hope steam won't ever become a monopoly, even though it is still the best.

There should be a healthy competition though and valve with steamworks is making that harder atm.

mouton
02-09-2011, 08:05 AM
Because I want my list of games to be sorted and in one place, not seven different places?
They are on your hard drive, man. Also, you can add anything to your Steam list, eh

It IS easier if everything is on Steam, yes. But really, I like when things are convenient, but is it really our goal in life?

serieus1
02-09-2011, 08:11 AM
You now how there's lots of chat programs. Like Yahoo, AIM, MSN, etc... Programs like Pidgin allow you to access these chat program all in one program rather than separate programs.

I wonder if there will be a DD program like this that allows you to view all your games from D2D, GFWL, Steam, GoG, GamersGate and more. I think that would be an awesome program, I hope eventually it comes to fruition so no matter where we buy the game it gets put into one single library that can be accessed via this program.

Here's wishing things get consolidated while business competition persists.

eagleFMJ
02-09-2011, 08:22 AM
Steam pwns!

I heard of D2D before I ever heard about GamersGate.

mouton
02-09-2011, 08:26 AM
I wonder if there will be a DD program like this that allows you to view all your games from D2D, GFWL, Steam, GoG, GamersGate and more. I think that would be an awesome program, I hope eventually it comes to fruition so no matter where we buy the game it gets put into one single library that can be accessed via this program.

That would be awesome. It certainly seems feasible with the web-based options, like GoG and GG. Don't know about those that require clients - it requires them to open up their systems a bit, I guess.

But even a website that tracks all the prices and all the sales of the DD platforms would be wonderful. Unless there already is one, in which case link now!

{Yotsuba}
02-09-2011, 08:36 AM
But even a website that tracks all the prices and all the sales of the DD platforms would be wonderful. Unless there already is one, in which case link now!

http://didimatic.com/ -- tracks D2D, GamersGate, GOG, Impulse and Steam sales. And once some of the other services provide methods for tracking their sales, they'll be added too. A possible update later this year should also make it possible to track all games on all those sites regardless of being on sale.

serieus1
02-09-2011, 08:49 AM

http://www.steamgamesales.com/stores.php

That keeps track of all current sales on most DD sites.

Briticent
02-09-2011, 08:51 AM

http://didimatic.com/ -- tracks D2D, GamersGate, GOG, Impulse and Steam sales. And once some of the other services provide methods for tracking their sales, they'll be added too. A possible update later this year should also make it possible to track all games on all those sites regardless of being on sale.

Top link that. Nice one.

Ezremikus
02-09-2011, 09:32 AM
I like steam the most so, I think steam will win in this competition.
But well thats just my opinion...

crunchyfrog555
02-09-2011, 09:39 AM

Win? Competition?

I don't wish to sound rude, but how do you think the world of business works?

paratech2008
02-09-2011, 09:40 AM
I did find it hilarious that GG "advertises" Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition as a "sale" @ $49.99, $10 more than Steam, claiming it is over $100, when nobody has ever purchased it for that price, except buying everything individually. The Ultimate Edition started a MSRP of $49.99! LOL ;)

paratech2008
02-09-2011, 09:41 AM

Competition is good for the customer, you don't want a Steam monopoly. US Citizens would do well to remember Ma Bell and how "she" treated us.

crunchyfrog555
02-09-2011, 09:44 AM
I did find it hilarious that GG "advertises" Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition as a "sale" @ $49.99, $10 more than Steam, claiming it is over $100, when nobody has ever purchased it for that price, except buying everything individually. The Ultimate Edition started a MSRP of $49.99! LOL ;)

That is a old, and rather amateur marketing trick too.

Many physical shops do this all the time. Advertise something as "worth" £x, because it was on offer ONCE for a tiny period of time, some time ago.

How many times have you seen freebies, given away with magazines, for example that claim the so-called free gift is WORTH £ridiculous?

Nothing remotely new, I'm afraid, but is it amateur, and this reiterates nicely what I said earlier about they'll have to drop tricks like this and saying "they're not afraid of Steam".

I.e. it doesn't endear to the customer if they can see through a cheap trick, rather than seeing an appealing offer.

Ezremikus
02-09-2011, 09:46 AM
Win? Competition?

I don't wish to sound rude, but how do you think the world of business works?

What I ment to say is that steam is my favorite online gaming platform and that no GamersGate can replace it.Also ment to say that even if prices are lower at GamersGate I would still stick with steam...Sorry for not expressing myself properly and using word "Win" ...

Ezremikus
02-09-2011, 09:49 AM
Competition is good for the customer, you don't want a Steam monopoly. US Citizens would do well to remember Ma Bell and how "she" treated us.

I know competition is good for customers.So I hope steam will put some interesting offers, that will be better then offers from GamersGate...

crunchyfrog555
02-09-2011, 09:51 AM
What I ment to say is that steam is my favorite online gaming platform and that no GamersGate can replace it.Also ment to say that even if prices are lower at GamersGate I would still stick with steam...

That's fair enough.

It's just that most people realise it's not a competition, and will not stick with one place any more than they just get all fanboi about one console, or <insert product here>.

Any wise consumer uses the market, which again is good for other consumers, as it keeps that competition healthy!

CUDpwns
02-09-2011, 09:53 AM
WTF is GamersGate...?

crunchyfrog555
02-09-2011, 09:56 AM
WTF is GamersGate...?

Unless that's rhetorical, Google is a wonderful tool you may have heard of. :)

Dreadjaws
02-09-2011, 10:10 AM
I can't believe how many frequent forum users say they've never heard of Gamersgate. I honestly can't, I think some of them lie, as GG gets mentioned here pretty much every week for one reason or another.

While this "We're not afraid of Steam" might seem like a publicity stunt, GG has a huge users fanbase. They have dozens of new deals every week, the games don't need a client to work and there's both a regular customer support and a user-based support (in which they allow other users to offer solutions for the problem, offering a quicker response).

Also, they have the Blue Coin system. It works as store credit, like the (much later implemented) Steam Wallet, but for every purchase you make on GG, you get 5% of it in blue coins, which means that eventually you can get games for free when you get enough of them.

The only bad thing they have going on for them is that they're terrible at advertising (really, they have 100+ games on sale now and they only advertise 18 in their page), and OP's linked article is proof.

Pheace
02-09-2011, 10:18 AM
I can't believe how many frequent forum users say they've never heard of Gamersgate. I honestly can't, I think some of them lie, as GG gets mentioned here pretty much every week for one reason or another.

While this "We're not afraid of Steam" might seem like a publicity stunt, GG has a huge users fanbase. They have dozens of new deals every week, the games don't need a client to work and there's both a regular customer support and a user-based support (in which they allow other users to offer solutions for the problem, offering a quicker response).

Also, they have the Blue Coin system. It works as store credit, like the (much later implemented) Steam Wallet, but for every purchase you make on GG, you get 5% of it in blue coins, which means that eventually you can get games for free when you get enough of them.

The only bad thing they have going on for them is that they're terrible at advertising (really, they have 100+ games on sale now and they only advertise 18 in their page), and OP's linked article is proof.

I've followed them all through December and to be honest I was neither impressed with 90% of the games on sale nor was I much with the prices they were on sale for even if there were interesting games.

Not worth getting them at Gamersgate over Steam for me at least. Although as mentioned for me, I think the all in one list/installer from Steam is a bonus, not something I'd rather not have. Having to download and install every game I have seperately is something I want to do away with rather than go back to.

Menphues
02-09-2011, 10:40 AM
I'll stick with Steam.

Not afraid of anything.

Only time I'll worry is when Steam say their shutting down and that. I'd want to know what will happen to my games and go from there.

That's it.

It won't happen so Steam will always be triamfront.

Also, who is Gamersgate? Never ever heard of them.

I've heard of IGN/Gamespot/Direct2drive Etc, but never Gamergate.

Sorry peeps but it's a fail to them!

crunchyfrog555
02-09-2011, 10:45 AM
I'll stick with Steam.

Not afraid of anything.

Only time I'll worry is when Steam say their shutting down and that. I'd want to know what will happen to my games and go from there.

That's it.

It won't happen so Steam will always be triamfront.

Also, who is Gamersgate? Never ever heard of them.

I've heard of IGN/Gamespot/Direct2drive Etc, but never Gamergate.

Sorry peeps but it's a fail to them!

No need to worry about what'd happen to those games should Steam die. They'd be "unlocked" so you can back 'em up etc. That's been extensively covered in magazine interviews with Steam and suchlike (contrary to some of the frequent posts on here who say it's never been confirmed).

Menphues
02-09-2011, 10:55 AM
Ah right okay.

Cheers crunchfrog.

Good help :)

crunchyfrog555
02-09-2011, 11:00 AM
Ah right okay.

Cheers crunchfrog.

Good help :)

No problem at all. Glad to put your mind at rest :)

epsylon_Z1
02-09-2011, 11:02 AM
*grabs popcorn*

Drag0nZorD!
02-09-2011, 11:06 AM
seriously what games distributer forgets about pes 2011 or fifa 2011?

seriously, what pc gamer doesnt forget about pes 2011 or fifa 2011?

crunchyfrog555
02-09-2011, 11:09 AM
seriously, what pc gamer doesnt forget about pes 2011 or fifa 2011?

^ Spot on, sir.

I game on all platforms ... well, certainly all successful platforms from the last 20 years, and I'd rather forget about the existence of such trash "turn 'em out every year" games.

Although, on a more serious note, from a distribution/sales point of view, these two examples are a bit of a nightmare. That's why some don't touch it.

Why a nightmare, I hear you say? Simply because they tend to be stocked by businesses that can get a bundle of sales out quickly, close to release date. The sales price of these games falls off more quickly than any other gaming franchise. So, if you can't weather having your bundle of stock shifted quickly, you're left with stock that you can't make a profit on.

serieus1
02-09-2011, 11:54 AM
*grabs popcorn*

Hey Epsy! Let get some of that popcorn man.

Ganger
02-09-2011, 12:58 PM
I have heard of Gamers Gate but never really looked at the site until now. AvP is on sale (66% off) and its a steamworks game, I may register myself with them and buy a cheap game.

epsylon_Z1
02-09-2011, 01:14 PM
Hmm. I'm checking the EU store of both service .

GG offer
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-TWS2/total-war-shogun-2
vs
Steam offer
http://store.steampowered.com/app/34330/

MaxDA
02-09-2011, 02:17 PM
If Gamersgate want to have a hope in hell they need to branch into linux, otherwise, no, they will come and go like everyone else.
Even if they do, chances are they're screwed.

ROTFLMAO :D . Good one! Oh wait... you weren't serious were you? :confused:

notavirus.exe
02-09-2011, 02:40 PM
Never heard of them, never will care about them.

Steam4Life.

EDIT: Why is counterstrike always on the top sellers list and still one of the most played online FPS? Portal 2 will destroy, HL3 will wreck everything post Portal 2.

TrinityKei
02-09-2011, 03:13 PM
Huh, Its surprising so many people didn't even hear of GamersGate. While I do know them, I never purchased anything from there, and never felt the need to, Steam is a DRM I actually like, and prefer to have in my games if possible, since its so convenient, and the prices and sales on steam are usually the same if not better, so with all due respect, I doubt GamersGate can ever come close to Steam.

daniel_
02-09-2011, 03:18 PM
It's my favourite digital download service, there's alot of deals, no client to play games, a good reward program and now they started to sell steamworks games. :)
My only complaint is about the region restriction on EA games. :(

DarkOmegaX
02-09-2011, 03:37 PM
It's my favourite digital download service, there's alot of deals, no client to play games, a good reward program and now they started to sell steamworks games. :)
My only complaint is about the region restriction on EA games. :(
You can get most of the EA games worldwide from their UK site www.gamersgate.co.uk
The prices are in pounds but the price is mostly equivalent to their price in dollars.

gjork
02-09-2011, 03:39 PM

I've been using GamersGate for years, almost as long as Steam so if you have never heard of them then you live under a rock. I don't put all my eggs in one basket and use GG, Impulse, D2D, Trymedia, and Steam and not one exclusively. Who I buy from depends on price mostly and not much else. Don't knock GG, they are a good place to buy games from and have many games that Steam doesn't.

Jito463
02-09-2011, 04:00 PM
Of the myriad digital distribution systems, Steam has given me the fewest problems. Mind you, I've never tried GG or Impulse, but I've had issues in the past with D2D, and both EADM and GFWL are jokes. As for GOG, they don't compete directly with Steam, so it's more of an apples to oranges comparison.

If I had any issue with Steam, it's having to wait for the publisher to provide a separate patch for the Steam version of games. Though, to be fair, most of that lies on the publishers shoulders. If they want to utilize Steam to boost their sales, they need to be responsible enough to maintain updated patches for the Steam version (I'm looking at you, EA).

Jani666
02-09-2011, 04:19 PM
"In fact, we know from the feedback we receive from customers, one of the reasons we have such great growth is because many gamers out there don’t like Steam and see GamersGate as a better alternative."

Yep, I am one of them.
I know you can not believe this, but there are people out there which do not need a community system and achievements. For them Steam is just an annoying piece of software.
For example, I lost more savegames last year because of Steam cloud issues than I lost in 25 years of gaming before.
Just inacceptable for me.

gjork
02-09-2011, 04:20 PM
I have an issue with a Steam game right now. If I had bought DiviniyII from GamersGate I could just buy the add-on for $19.99 from GG too but I bought the Steam version and Steam is not selling that add-on. Instead they opted to sell the new version of the game for 33% off to DivinityII owners which is $7.00 more than buying just the add-on and both give you the exact same product.

gjork
02-09-2011, 04:21 PM
Yep, I am one of them.
I know you can not believe this, but there are people out there which do not need a community system and achievements. For them Steam is just an annoying piece of software.
For example, I lost more savegames last year because of Steam cloud issues than I lost in 25 years of gaming before.

You can turn off the cloud.

daniel_
02-09-2011, 04:49 PM
You can get most of the EA games worldwide from their UK site www.gamersgate.co.uk
The prices are in pounds but the price is mostly equivalent to their price in dollars.

Oh cool, thanks. :D

Yep, I am one of them.

Steam Cloud it's a cool feature but after i lost all my savegames from Fallout: New Vegas i don't trust on it anymore. :(

Jito463
02-09-2011, 04:54 PM
Speaking frankly, I've never liked a cloud-based save game system, regardless of who does it.

BC2 Cypher
02-09-2011, 05:20 PM
I've never even heard of GamersGate.

chrisdglong
02-09-2011, 05:26 PM
Steam will always have the first movers advantage in the market. They were the first, giving them an advantage over anyone else that attempts to enter the market. Gamersgate's CEO spoke as if speculation was fact. Never is future speculation fact. Simply because no one can predict the future. However, I would think as more companies enter the market and more options exist you will see more saturation. Which essentially means that Steam will lose some market share. They have already lost some sales to Amazon digital store from me. I have been shopping around more with new options. This will only be good for the consumer as they will get the desired product for a cheaper price.

Kiya
02-09-2011, 06:33 PM
I have an issue with a Steam game right now. If I had bought DiviniyII from GamersGate I could just buy the add-on for $19.99 from GG too but I bought the Steam version and Steam is not selling that add-on. Instead they opted to sell the new version of the game for 33% off to DivinityII owners which is $7.00 more than buying just the add-on and both give you the exact same product.

Steam didn't decide not to sell the add-on seperately, the publisher did. If you want to see the add-on seperately on Steam you need to contact the publisher (http://www.dtp-entertainment.com/en/corporate/corporate-center/contact/index.php) and tell them so.

Jani666
02-09-2011, 06:38 PM
You can turn off the cloud.

Yes, but this feature is useless because there are also bugs (lost savegames) if the cloud is disabled.

crunchyfrog555
02-09-2011, 06:40 PM
Speaking frankly, I've never liked a cloud-based save game system, regardless of who does it.

Me neither. Whilst I appreciate it's handy for those who use multiple PCs for their games (of which I fall in to that category too, strangely), I don't think it's of much use otherwise.

Saves take up very little space, and let's face it - it's not like other Cloud services (i.e. backing-up data in case there's a loss). I'd say most people can take care of their saves quite well, whereas being beholden to the Cloud is rather counter-productive - what do you do if such a service is down?

Nah, I'll stick to my hard drive, and USB sticks, ta very much.., actually scratch that, I'll still stick to cassettes and floppy drives in my world.

hollykryten
02-09-2011, 06:54 PM
Gamersgate is yet another one of those game stores which the game publishers are using to price gouge Australians using an IP filter. For example if you're on an Australian IP address you're getting slugged $89.95 USD for Shogun 2 but if you're lucky enough to be on a US IP address the price comes up as $49.95 USD.

Flying Ace
02-09-2011, 07:14 PM
I think that CEO is stupid

lol

{Yotsuba}
02-09-2011, 07:31 PM
They were the first, giving them an advantage over anyone else that attempts to enter the market.

Just imagine what could potentially happen if Blizzard were to take advantage of their userbase and started selling third-party games directly to them. Such an event would most likely negate any advantage Steam may have due to the significantly larger userbase at their disposal.

Rechar
02-09-2011, 07:34 PM
well, DoW:Retribution is £10 cheaper on Gamersgate. Seems they are worth checking out.

Cheers for poking fun at them, you've saved me money :)

ImBack87
02-09-2011, 07:41 PM

I'm afraid we won't be around when that day comes :p

mouton
02-09-2011, 08:00 PM

http://www.steamgamesales.com/stores.php

That keeps track of all current sales on most DD sites.
Thanks a lot! Bookmarked.

Second link only good for US people, though, but still great.

jimmywolf
02-09-2011, 08:10 PM
thanks for the links i use

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11

it show all game sales not just pc but it nice have variety

Syldan
02-09-2011, 08:15 PM
My concern is that there might be some developper/publisher that could choose to only release at one digital distributor because they offer a better share of the profit, but on my end I'll be ennoyed to have various platform/launcher on my computer trying to tell me how to play my games.

FFB1
02-09-2011, 08:40 PM
Also 95% of the games being sold on GoG are freeware by now,

What the hell are you smoking?

crunchyfrog555
02-09-2011, 08:40 PM
Gamersgate is yet another one of those game stores which the game publishers are using to price gouge Australians using an IP filter. For example if you're on an Australian IP address you're getting slugged $89.95 USD for Shogun 2 but if you're lucky enough to be on a US IP address the price comes up as $49.95 USD.

Crap!! That really is pathetic; regional "excuse" notwithstanding.

Now I truly understand why so many of my Aussie friends import games from here in Pommieland. Which in itself, if cheaper to buy from UK and pay the shipping half way round the world is cheaper than buying it in your own country, then there really is something wrong.

I really feel for you.

crunchyfrog555
02-09-2011, 08:42 PM
thanks for the links i use

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11

it show all game sales not just pc but it nice have variety

Also, it should be pointed out for us UK gamers, that link takes your to the UK branch of the website. I use it a lot - tells you where the best cheap deals are. Invaluable if you're a skinflint like me ;)

Kyorisu
02-09-2011, 08:52 PM
Also 95% of the games being sold on GoG are freeware by now, the service they are providing is merely optimization of old games for modern operating systems, so you dont need dosbox to run those.

Freeware = Software that is free which is not the case with GOG titles. I think you meant Abdandonware which means the software is no longer being sold. This stops being the case the second a game is available through a service like GOG however.

serieus1
02-09-2011, 09:32 PM
Watch out for abandonware. It started hot and heavy, but as soon as companies found out that they were getting popular they started pulling the rug on those. Most abandonware are not freeware at all. It isn't freeware until something like 99 years when it comes to digital copyrights, unless made to be freeware by the company that made it itself.

By the way, the 99 years, was totally out of my bum, you'd have to look it up to find the truth, but it's a long time. Longer than video games have been around.

MADDOGGE
02-09-2011, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by zeroskill
Also 95% of the games being sold on GoG are freeware by now,

Not so.

Thundergod
02-09-2011, 10:18 PM
Me neither. Whilst I appreciate it's handy for those who use multiple PCs for their games (of which I fall in to that category too, strangely), I don't think it's of much use otherwise.

Saves take up very little space, and let's face it - it's not like other Cloud services (i.e. backing-up data in case there's a loss). I'd say most people can take care of their saves quite well, whereas being beholden to the Cloud is rather counter-productive - what do you do if such a service is down?

Nah, I'll stick to my hard drive, and USB sticks, ta very much.., actually scratch that, I'll still stick to cassettes and floppy drives in my world.

Neither of you have a clue. Cloud services are a good thing for the majority of users. Actually they're good for everyone. Who the hell even uses "cassettes" or floppies nowadays? Just utterly clueless.

BrokenKeyboard
02-09-2011, 10:19 PM
Never heard of 'em

StickyMicky200
02-09-2011, 10:20 PM
Who the hell even uses "cassettes" or floppies nowadays? Just utterly clueless.

LMFAO! :D

I think you just got "served" mate.

Dr. freeeeemann
02-09-2011, 10:25 PM
this guy actually makes sense. Steam's users are all very hardcore for the most part. Some more than others. While it is getting more and more popular, people start to notice and use it. Soon enough, this becomes the standard. A standard that could easily undercut Valve because theyre so huge already, that they eventually buy out Valve in the future and become a monopoly.

crunchyfrog555
02-10-2011, 04:44 AM
LMFAO! :D

I think you just got "served" mate.

Sorry, I think there may be a problem with the browser you're using. Try clicking on the "Tools", and enabling "humour" setting.

If you can't see that last comment was a light-hearted nod to my retro leanings, well, I really don't know what to say.

gjork
02-10-2011, 08:21 AM
Steam didn't decide not to sell the add-on seperately, the publisher did. If you want to see the add-on seperately on Steam you need to contact the publisher (http://www.dtp-entertainment.com/en/corporate/corporate-center/contact/index.php) and tell them so.

Why should I contact the publisher when I know they will just ignore me? Valve has clout and they could have pressured them to offer just the add-on too. Why would they deny Steam the add-on but not GamersGate? At least Steam could sell the new version for previous owners for the same price as the add-on would cost. I don't really care who is to blame, all I know is that someone is trying to scam a few more bucks off us. Too bad for them I have already figured out their con and they won't get a penny more off me until I see the game on sale for 50% off.

BTW, I saw a previous post from someone saying they are surprised GG never went out of business. Why would that happen? GG was started up by Paradox Games. You know? The same people that make the EU games. They have plenty of customers and are not going anywhere soon. What I see in this thread mostly are just Steam brown nosers bad mouthing a good company for no good reason except that they are fans of Steam. :(

gjork
02-10-2011, 08:23 AM
Yes, but this feature is useless because there are also bugs (lost savegames) if the cloud is disabled.

Not saying it doesn't happen but why would that happen? You turn off the cloud and all save games are saved locally on your HDD. I've never had any problems with it off yet anyway.

KawaiiSara
02-10-2011, 08:31 AM
Personally, I don't use GamersGate, but I understand the upside of it.
It's easier to get a deal with them than many other companies from what I understand.
The overall pros and cons are really in Steam's favor, though...
GamersGate isn't a bad service by any means, but they have a ways to go before they can really compete with Steam properly, I think.

JudgementBullet
02-10-2011, 08:38 AM
I can understand why some people hate Steam, but I will say this: Steam is here to stay for a very long time.

{Yotsuba}
02-10-2011, 10:36 AM
Steam didn't decide not to sell the add-on seperately, the publisher did.

Do you have concrete proof of that?

crunchyfrog555
02-10-2011, 10:46 AM
Neither of you have a clue. Cloud services are a good thing for the majority of users. Actually they're good for everyone. Who the hell even uses "cassettes" or floppies nowadays? Just utterly clueless.

Great post. In my country, we use this thing called humour. It's often endearing, and can often make what you're saying interesting or at least, flowing.

Could you point out where you think I claimed that Cloud services WEREN'T a good thing for the majority of users. I seem to have lost that bit.

mouton
02-10-2011, 01:45 PM
I can understand why some people hate Steam, but I will say this: Steam is here to stay for a very long time.
No one wants Steam to go. Just not to dominate the market too much.

Aemony
02-10-2011, 01:55 PM
No one wants Steam to go. Just not to dominate the market too much.

Then competitors seriously needs to compete against Steam. Steam is more than a digital distribution store. It's a whole platform with it's own ecosystem and services.

Until competitors recognize this (like Impulse has done) Steam will always dominate the market.

That said, I prefer if nobody actually competes against Steam. Valve has brought a much needed unity to the PC gaming market, much like those on each console. A competitor will once again disturb and shatter the now working system we've got.

Sometimes unity is a powerful thing. I'd rather have all my games on Steam than 140+ games divided amongst multiple services, all with different features and unable to interact with one from another.

mouton
02-10-2011, 02:12 PM
Then competitors seriously needs to compete against Steam. Steam is more than a digital distribution store. It's a whole platform with it's own ecosystem and services.

Until competitors recognize this (like Impulse has done) Steam will always dominate the market.
The problem is, once you throw your lot with Steam, it becomes pretty integrated into your gaming experience. Which means it is quite hard to compete with it because people want everything in one place, don't want multiple clients, which in turn leads to total market dominance. Also, publishers have way too big of a say in the pricing in digital distribution so the competition often cannot just slash prices to compete or at least not too much. Unless you use loopholes like with Direct2Drive, which allows the Europeans to buy a lot (not all) of their games in the UK store instead of the overpriced D2D EU store.
That said, I prefer if nobody actually competes against Steam.
Heh. Competition = lower prices, more sales. No competition = higher prices, less/worse sales. Hence, I beg to differ.
Valve has brought a much needed unity to the PC gaming market, much like those on each console. A competitor will once again disturb and shatter the now working system we've got.

Sometimes unity is a powerful thing. I'd rather have all my games on Steam than 140+ games divided amongst multiple services, all with different features and unable to interact with one from another.
You are free to feel like that but I really don't get this outlook whenever I see it around here. You can add games to Steam, if you want everything in Steam, or you can just have shortcuts on your desktop like we had for, uh, decades. Unless you want Steam achievements for everything or you re-download your games every month, but then you are lost anyway:)

Also, even if there was meaningful competition to Steam, you could still choose to buy exclusively from Steam and preserve your unity. AND it would be cheaper for you too.

Setarcos
02-10-2011, 02:43 PM
You now how there's lots of chat programs. Like Yahoo, AIM, MSN, etc... Programs like Pidgin allow you to access these chat program all in one program rather than separate programs.

Actually, Gamespy Comrade (which D2D supports for downloads) lists all (or at least most) of the games installed on your system. I haven't used it too much because most my currently installed games are in Steam and I like to see if Steam has any surprise sales, but it seems kind of like what your talking about. Unfortunately, and understandably, it can't see the games you've bought through a DD service but haven't installed. As a plus though, it does seem like it (is supposed to) be capable of patching pretty much any game you have installed. (I say supposed to because I still had to manually patch Star Ruler even though I bought it through D2D AND installed/downloaded it through Comrade.)

Justin7
02-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Steam didn't decide not to sell the add-on seperately, the publisher did.

Do you have concrete proof of that?

Do you have concrete proof against it?

Jani666
02-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Not saying it doesn't happen but why would that happen? You turn off the cloud and all save games are saved locally on your HDD. I've never had any problems with it off yet anyway.

The problem starts if you play a game with disabled cloud online and then switch to offline mode.
Most likely your saves are gone or were not detected.
It happened to me with Zen Bound, DeathSpank (both) and Eufloria just to mention a few.
I asked support about that, but of course they are not responsible and I should contact the developer.

Surreal_Reality
02-10-2011, 04:07 PM
Gamer's what? Steam recently had over 3 million people on for a good week. You should fear them. Fear Gaben.

SaDiZTiKStyLeZ™
02-10-2011, 04:54 PM
Steam staff laughs at this. Dusts off they shoulders. Checks bank account again. Buys GamersGate.

Blindjonn
02-10-2011, 05:11 PM
Competition is good, I wish that company well. Steam is an amazing service, but it can only get better if it gets a few decent rivals - it does have somewhat of a monopoly on PC games at the moment, which will change when stragglers catch on to the fact that digital distribution is the direction that the industry is heading.

yossarian22
02-10-2011, 05:19 PM
never heard of gamersgate before, checked out the site, looked pretty crappy and just too much stuff going on and thought I'd never use them. Till I saw you get 15 dollars worth of "blue points" when you buy shogun 2 from them, essentially giving you 15 dollars for future purchases through them. That is awesome, if that program works, and they get sales like steam does, then I'd have to say that steam will hopefully create a similar program to reward repeat customers.

Metro
02-10-2011, 05:24 PM
Always good to have competition but Gamersgate and Impulse Driven (and even Direct2Drive) are pretty marginal compared to Steam

Setarcos
02-10-2011, 05:51 PM
never heard of gamersgate before, checked out the site, looked pretty crappy and just too much stuff going on and thought I'd never use them.

Yeah, that's pretty much why I haven't seriously considered them. A site redesign would probably go a long way to helping their image.

I mean their site currently looks like something I might see after accidentally clicking a semi-malicious pop-up.

crunchyfrog555
02-10-2011, 07:10 PM
Gamer's what? Steam recently had over 3 million people on for a good week. You should fear them. Fear Gaben.

Today, for example (or rather yesterday, as I'm posting this at 2am).

{Yotsuba}
02-10-2011, 08:16 PM

I don't need to provide any proof as I'm not the one out right claiming that Valve are totally innocent in regards to why the expansion pack isn't being sold. All I will say is that it's very naive to assume that Valve do not have any say in whether the expansion is being sold or not on their own store.

...if that program works, and they get sales like steam does...

Yes, the Blue Coins reward system does work as it were. You just need to remember that coins you earn are valid for 1 year. But even then it's very easy to rack up enough coins to get full price games for free or heavily discounted.

VividNinjaScar
02-10-2011, 08:22 PM

Aside from the fact that D2D, Impusle, and GFWL don't require you to have the game from them in order to purchase DLC from them, and the fact the publishers are the same for games no matter the DD service, no.

{Yotsuba}
02-10-2011, 10:41 PM
Reading another thread reminded me that another thing GamersGate has going for it is that duplicate games are never lost. Most of the time on Steam if you buy a pack with a game you already own in it, then you lose that second copy. That never happens on GamersGate. You always get the additional copy added to your account. You can then choose whether to use it yourself or to gift it to someone else.

crunchyfrog555
02-10-2011, 11:02 PM
Reading another thread reminded me that another thing GamersGate has going for it is that duplicate games are never lost. Most of the time on Steam if you buy a pack with a game you already own in it, then you lose that second copy. That never happens on GamersGate. You always get the additional copy added to your account. You can then choose whether to use it yourself or to gift it to someone else.

Thanks for that bit of info, Yotsuba.

Y'know, contrary to my earlier thoughts about how amateur this GamersGate guy's comments were, from the info I've read over the last few days, I'm beginning to warm to them.

Sounds like they certainly do have some amateur marketing skills, but nobody's without flaws (except me of course :) ).

yossarian22
02-10-2011, 11:26 PM
They also have the nice lil feature of being notified when a specific game you're watching has a price drop. Now, if you can set it where you're notified when it drops to a certain amount, that would be incredibly awesome.

{Yotsuba}
02-11-2011, 12:07 AM
They also have the nice lil feature of being notified when a specific game you're watching has a price drop. Now, if you can set it where you're notified when it drops to a certain amount, that would be incredibly awesome.

Suggest it to them via Twitter. GamersGate are always happy to get feedback and when possible, will implement suggestions fairly quickly. The sale countdowns, for example, were suggested to them over Twitter. They appeared around a day later.

Sounds like they certainly do have some amateur marketing skills, but nobody's without flaws

I would tend to agree with that. But you also have to admit this latest comment has earnt them a ton of publicity regardless of its validity. And at least it's better than GOG's PR stunt where they shut the service down for a week only to roll out site code that was worse than their beta code.

gjork
02-11-2011, 07:47 AM
Yes, the Blue Coins reward system does work as it were. You just need to remember that coins you earn are valid for 1 year. But even then it's very easy to rack up enough coins to get full price games for free or heavily discounted.

Where does it say valid for only one year? I've never noticed that and have been using them for a number of years. I don't think it is correct either because you can buy blue coins with money too so if you bought a bunch of blue coins using your Visa card or whatever there is no way they could legally remove them after a year. I will email them to find out one way or another.

Anyway, if you have a number of blue coins but not quite enough to buy the game you want then just buy some blue coins to top them up to get enough. I've done that a couple of times now.

BTW, the people saying they would prefer a one unified service do not know what they wish for, a monopoly is never a good thing in a free market, ever.

One thing that does annoy me about GG is that sometimes they do not list the DRM used prior to purchase. I have bought a couple of games from them that came with 3 install limits and have had to email them to get more installs. There was no mention of this limitation in the game specs and it pisses me off that they do not list it because I try to avoid that type of DRM.

yossarian22
02-11-2011, 07:57 AM
Where does it say valid for only one year? I've never noticed that and have been using them for a number of years. I don't think it is correct either because you can buy blue coins with money too so if you bought a bunch of blue coins using your Visa card or whatever there is no way they could legally remove them after a year. I will email them to find out one way or another.

Anyway, if you have a number of blue coins but not quite enough to buy the game you want then just buy some blue coins to top them up to get enough. I've done that a couple of times now.

BTW, the people saying they would prefer a one unified service do not know what they wish for, a monopoly is never a good thing in a free market, ever.

In their FAQ it says 'PLEASE NOTE! Blue Coins earned will expire after 12 months if not used. Blue Coins bought do not expire.'

I wonder if blue coins from pre-orders and game purchases are considered 'bought' or 'earned'

mouton
02-11-2011, 08:14 AM
never heard of gamersgate before, checked out the site, looked pretty crappy and just too much stuff going
Lol, you are right, same here. Guess a redesign is in order, heh
And at least it's better than GOG's PR stunt
Oh God, don't remind me about that, it was an atrocity. Btw, I think I saw them looking to hire a marketing person now, I guess they realized the current crew sucks at it, heh heh heh

halbarad_loire
02-11-2011, 08:19 AM
They should be afraid of steam for one reason more than any other. Steam has a current userbase.

Now granted more people are coming to digital distribution as consumers but Steam, being the ones with the true initiative, capitalize from already having a loyal userbase.

Most people I know already have 50+ games on steam and don't want to even think about shopping around somewhere else and having to have another client.
Personally, I've got over 300 games on steam and I do prefer it, but I've also bought and got games on Impulse, D2D and Green Man Gaming. I've heard of GamersGate too but never really looked at it but I guarantee if I do there will be at least one game on it that I want.

mouton
02-11-2011, 08:34 AM
Most people I know already have 50+ games on steam and don't want to even think about shopping around somewhere else and having to have another client.
Other services either don't have clients or require it only for installation/update. Steam is the most clingy, really.

{Yotsuba}
02-11-2011, 10:35 AM
Where does it say valid for only one year?

Bottom of this page: http://www.gamersgate.com/info/reward-program

Blue Coins expire
Blue Coins that you have earned through rewards will expire after 12 months if they are not used. Blue Coins that you have bought will not expire.

One thing that does annoy me about GG is that sometimes they do not list the DRM used prior to purchase. I have bought a couple of games from them that came with 3 install limits and have had to email them to get more installs.

Two things: One GamersGate will ignore the install limits. As you found out, just email them and they will sort it out (even if it means issuing you a new serial key).

Two: As long as you haven't downloaded the game or requested a serial, you should be able to get a refund if the DRM wasn't listed on the page when you purchased it. But sadly, GG are not the only ones guilty of not always listing DRM. Steam does that pretty much all the time for new releases...

Lol, you are right, same here. Guess a redesign is in order, heh

A recent tweet from them hints at a possible redesign in the future...

Btw, I think I saw them looking to hire a marketing person now, I guess they realized the current crew sucks at it, heh heh heh

GOG already hired someone. So far, he just posts a bit on the forums and doesn't appear to be very useful at all.

HellJumper
02-11-2011, 10:43 AM
What is Gamer's Gate? Are they even on the PC? If so, then I don't really care :D

Mabs
02-11-2011, 11:15 AM
i love all the tards going "OHLOL ISNT IT CRAP"

personally, i use Steam, i use GamersGate, i use DLgamers, i use anything that satisifies the following :

-get it on release, or asap / decent Dl rate
-get it for a decent, or discount price

go ahead and keep buying stuff on steam , the rest of us who are aware of the "shop around for best price" concept will go on doing that

schu
02-11-2011, 11:21 AM
i love all the tards going "OHLOL ISNT IT CRAP"

personally, i use Steam, i use GamersGate, i use DLgamers, i use anything that satisifies the following :

-get it on release, or asap / decent Dl rate
-get it for a decent, or discount price

go ahead and keep buying stuff on steam , the rest of us who are aware of the "shop around for best price" concept will go on doing that

I have never overpaid for anything on steam...I just have patience and wait for things to be reasonably priced. I don't have to have everything on day one.

crunchyfrog555
02-11-2011, 11:28 AM
I have never overpaid for anything on steam...I just have patience and wait for things to be reasonably priced. I don't have to have everything on day one.

Agree with that sentiment, although blindly sticking to Steam is contradictory.

True "shopping around" is just that.

Shopping around just on Steam may well be fine for you, and I can't fault it, however it's not a sensible proposal to recommend "shop around, but only do it in one place".

yossarian22
02-11-2011, 04:00 PM
Agree with that sentiment, although blindly sticking to Steam is contradictory.

True "shopping around" is just that.

Shopping around just on Steam may well be fine for you, and I can't fault it, however it's not a sensible proposal to recommend "shop around, but only do it in one place".

Agreed. Its not like we are talking about doctors and carpenters here, where once you find a great one you stick with that one because you know they are the best in the field in your area, and you wouldn't necessarily switch to a different doctor/carpenter when a cheaper one comes around because quality could severely be lacking. You can try a different one and find out of course.

But we're talking about computer games here and who they get distributed through, thus quality isnt really too big a factor here, only price and incentives are, and thus it is best to shop around for the best deals. Its not about being patient, its about knowing what you want, and getting it for the best price when you want.

crunchyfrog555
02-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Agreed. Its not like we are talking about doctors and carpenters here, where once you find a great one you stick with that one because you know they are the best in the field in your area, and you wouldn't necessarily switch to a different doctor/carpenter when a cheaper one comes around because quality could severely be lacking. You can try a different one and find out of course.

But we're talking about computer games here and who they get distributed through, thus quality isnt really too big a factor here, only price and incentives are, and thus it is best to shop around for the best deals. Its not about being patient, its about knowing what you want, and getting it for the best price when you want.

Well said, sir!

No1_Obaruler
02-11-2011, 07:45 PM
Gabe Newell probably responded with "They are not afraid of us? That sounds great, but who or what was Gamersgate again?! :3"

Srsly: What is Gamersgate? A download store as steam, since it sounds like it? .....

Sir_Brizz
02-11-2011, 08:24 PM

It's not exactly that. A lot of games that are available on GamersGate (in particular, indie games) are better on Steam because they typically also offer Steam Leaderboards or Steam Cloud or Steam Achievements. Things that you don't get with the other version of the game.

And there is something to be said for being able to acquire all of your games from one easy-to-use source. GamersGate, like D2D and others, lets you download your game at any time, however you then typically have to unzip the files and install the games. With Steam, downloading essentially is unzipping and installing all in one step. Plus all your games are ready to download from one interface.

I'm sure I don't need to continue going on about the benefits of Steam over other download services, but instead of this being a "shopping around in different stores for the best price" kind of situation, it's more like "if you buy from this store they will replace your products for free if they wear out so it just makes sense to wait until they have it at the price you want it at". I have a handful of games on other download services, but I have bought almost every single one of them on deep discount on Steam later on.

GirlPower23
02-12-2011, 02:12 AM
Though one day Steam may fall or get absorbed as no company lasts forever; this last year has seen a huge increase in Steam users and I don't see that changing in the next couple of years.

No company lasts forever? IBM would like to say hello. 100 years it's been in business. Steam is also not a company, it's a service provided by Valve. Whom have been around for quite awhile. Unless Valve does something very stupid they will be around for a long time.

Oh, but it is. Not everyone goes around searching for deals. Some of us have the income to just buy what we want. In that case we look for quality in the services. Steam does have the overall best luxuries and incentives. However, I go to GoG when I need an oldie, so yes I do go to who is best in their field. With Steam/Valve being the overall best and GoG being the best in oldies. With Valve rolling out Screenshot support on Steamcloud.. I can only foresee better and better options incoming.

{Yotsuba}
02-12-2011, 02:19 AM
No company lasts forever? IBM would like to say hello. 100 years it's been in business.

100 years is not "forever" and many companies that have lasted for longer have still gone under. Nothing is permanent.

GirlPower23
02-12-2011, 02:34 AM
No company lasts forever? IBM would like to say hello. 100 years it's been in business.

100 years is not "forever" and many companies that have lasted for longer have still gone under. Nothing is permanent.

The point is companies like Valve and IBM continue to move with the times, they transition with new technology. They innovate with new technology, it means they keep a foothold in their place. Valve isn't going to collapse unless they do something terrible to piss off their customers. So far Steam and Valve provide some of the best services for PC Gamers.

Arguing with "Nothing Lasts Forever" is a ridiculous thing anyway. There isn't a thing in the universe that lasts forever. I'll risk it and say it's being used in a metaphorical sense. Where no company can last the ages.. and IBM has proven they can last with the ages and so far Valve has been ahead of everyone else on the Digital Platform.

Smokindan50
02-12-2011, 03:06 AM
Seriously? How can some of you not have heard of GamersGate? Are you that sheltered that you don't look at other DD sites?

{Yotsuba}
02-12-2011, 03:10 AM
So far Steam and Valve provide some of the best services for PC Gamers.

Sorry, but I, and many in my region, would disagree with that. There is just something utterly stupid about the fact that I can by many Steamworks titles from Steam's competitors while they are not available for sale directly from Steam. That to me, does not indicate that Valve are doing much to try and stay ahead -- adding fluff to the community doesn't cut it.

In fact, it shows they are starting to stagnate with their choice not to actively seek a market that so desperately craves a distributor who will sell to it.

GirlPower23
02-12-2011, 03:24 AM
In fact, it shows they are starting to stagnate with their choice not to actively seek a market that so desperately craves a distributor who will sell to it.

The problem is you don't understand or know anything about behind the scenes things. You don't know why Valve can't sell XXX Game but Competitor XXX Can sale that game. You simply make a blanket statement without having any prior knowledge. It could also be that Japan, if I recall where you're located isn't that big of a market. Which seems like the most logical thing. If you don't have a ton of potential customers where is the incentive to make headway into that sector?

Smokindan50
02-12-2011, 04:18 AM
I agree that it's stupid. Just look at the regional pricing and blocked content on the Australian store. But mostly it's the publisher's doing. That's not to say Valve couldn't do something to improved it but yeah. We know nothing about what actually goes on.

mouton
02-12-2011, 04:57 AM
If you don't have a ton of potential customers where is the incentive to make headway into that sector?
Yeah, all those stores and warehouses they would have to build in Japan to expand their menu, yeah.
The problem is you don't understand or know anything about behind the scenes things. You don't know why Valve can't sell XXX Game but Competitor XXX Can sale that game. You simply make a blanket statement without having any prior knowledge.
A customer doesn't need the secret knowledge of arcane workings of the system to judge how a company treats him. It is Valve's problem they let themselves look like that.
It could also be that Japan, if I recall where you're located isn't that big of a market. Which seems like the most logical thing.
It is more likely, in my very subjective and uninformed opinion, that their market is simply more regulated and controlled by local companies, some of them probably protecting console markets. Also, Japan is a separate region for them, I guess.

GirlPower23
02-12-2011, 05:16 AM
Yeah, all those stores and warehouses they would have to build in Japan to expand their menu, yeah.

There is more then that. You can't just simply go "Yep, I am going to start selling in this country." Other companies may already have licensing deals on certain products or games. Then working with local laws and setting up more and more local servers. I guess that wen't over your little head though. There is plenty of things to deal with then that though. ;)

{Yotsuba}
02-12-2011, 05:20 AM
If you don't have a ton of potential customers where is the incentive to make headway into that sector?

Shows how little you know about this market. Any cursory glance at the so-called "Japanese internet" would show a potential market ripe for the taking in regards to digital distribution with it's lower costs and all that =)

You don't know why Valve can't sell XXX Game but Competitor XXX Can sale that game.

The answer to that is simple. The competitor took the time to negotiate a deal that allows them to. Valve simply cannot be bothered to -- as was evidenced by the whole Square Enix thing.

But the point is, it's the overlooking of markets like this that underpin any possible total hold on the market Valve might want. Thus, if Valve continue to ignore these markets, then they will simply allow their competitors to find room to grow -- and grow they will.

And no amount of Steamworks of client fluff is going to prevent that.

Pumpgunner
02-12-2011, 05:22 AM
What is GamersGate?

GirlPower23
02-12-2011, 05:37 AM

Shows how little you know about this market. Any cursory glance at the so-called "Japanese internet" would show a potential market ripe for the taking in regards to digital distribution with it's lower costs and all that =)

If it was ripe, GamersGate would be rocking it with good market share. Compared to Europe, Australia, America.. Japan is a tiny speck. Thats not to say it's not ripe for the pickings but negotiating things like licenses and so forth.. might not be cost effective. It's not like Japan is embracing digital distribution at an epic pace anyway. I think when the incentives are right for Valve they will make that push. But for the time being I don't believe it's ready quite for a mass push into the Japanese market. However feel free to give me any related articles that Japan is rocking Digital Distro and is "Ripe" for it. I can read english or japanese so an article in either language is fine with me.

If you are talking about bringing western games to the Japanese market, thats more up to Publishers and Independent developers to do that. While I'm sure Valve has some input on it.. Publishers still need to work with local laws to get it published in XXX Country, while it might be easier to just restrict a game from that country than to deal with it. Maybe GamersGate has a loophole somewhere that they can release games there. It's all an enigma and nothing but speculation on both our parts. Sucks you are restricted on a lot of games, but it's probably laziness on publishers parts.

As for the Japanese game industry, well last I read they were xenophobic about embracing digital distribution and slow to move towards it. So Valve/Steam hosting local Japanese games is probably up to the publishers/devs there to speak with Valve.

{Yotsuba}
02-12-2011, 06:03 AM
I think when the incentives are right for Valve they will make that push.

By which time, it will be too late. You just need to follow general discussions on DD/Steam in Japan via Twitter to see that from the point of view of customers.

I can read english or japanese so an article in either language is fine with me.

Well then, I would suggest you arm yourself with Google or Goo and start looking around. Also a good place to start might be 4gamers.

As far as local laws go, Japanese law is fairly lax compared to many other countries with the only real exceptions being dismemberment of human like characters with names and references the detonation of nuclear bombs, hence why that part of Fallout 3 was removed from the console versions. It was left untouched for the PC version. Of course, the misconception of games getting banned in Japan isn't helped by the likes of EA's Dead Space publicity stunt where they claimed the game was banned. It wasn't. They simply didn't even bother with a local release. but again, the PC version was readily available in Akiba.

So Valve/Steam hosting local Japanese games is probably up to the publishers/devs there to speak with Valve.

Again, as evidenced by the Square-Enix situation this isn't as easy as it sounds. Valve apparently don't have Japanese speaking staff in a position to facilitate negotiations, couple that with their refusal to sell certain types of games -- primarily produced in Japan, regardless of whether they are adult in nature or not, and the lack of English ability among most Japanese developers and well, surely you can see the problem.

GirlPower23
02-12-2011, 06:19 AM
Well then, I would suggest you arm yourself with Google or Goo and start looking around. Also a good place to start might be 4gamers.

Meh, personally it doesn't effect me. Thus I was looking for any article readily on hand. :) As for the rest of your comments, other than the twitter thing. I can say most of it I already knew. Valve is a small corporation, so they can't just hire more and more people. Sacrifices have to be made, I hope someday Valve does push into the asian market. Lotta great games in Japan and other countries I'd love to get my hands on without having to visit ebay or take a annual trip to Japan and rock it out in Akiba. :P Although, we will be facing an opposite issue. Where a lot of countries will be region locked out of Japanese specific titles to. Which would thus continue the circle and I foresee a future thread saying "Why aren't japanese developers/pubs releasing there games to the rest of the world" QQ blah blah. It's a never ending circle either way.

As for adult games, meh I can do without them on Steam. Lots of fun Sim games from Japan but the more hrmm.. erotic ones can stay off Steam. Which would put more pressure on Steam from consumer groups. Last time anyone heard about japanese devs wanting to release their "Adult" Games all hell broke lose. So I'd say it's easier for Valve to just deny all related products adult or non-adult to such a genre.

mouton
02-12-2011, 06:36 AM
Other companies may already have licensing deals on certain products or games.
That is my theory as well, actually. Market constricted by licences and fiefdoms.
Then working with local laws and setting up more and more local servers.
They already have servers there, they just don't sell some games.

{Yotsuba}
02-12-2011, 07:50 AM
Valve is a small corporation, so they can't just hire more and more people.

With Valve allegedly making "billions" (more likely millions) of profit a year, they certain can hire more staff. As it is, GamersGate only has eight people working there and yet, they manage to negotiate better distribution deals.

As for the point about publishers, that's easily solved by Western publishers wising up and stopping the silly notion of giving the likes of Capcom PC distribution rights (when Capcom won't release third party games on the PC locally), although they will -- rarely -- release their own games for the PC retail. The problem there is that the majority of retailers still refuse to stock PC games other than the odd "free to play" MMO.

As it is right now, if I want an EA game, I buy from GamersGate. If I want a Steamworks game, I buy from GamersGate. If I want a Capcom published game, again, I get it via GamersGate. I can't actually remember the last time I purchased a full price game on Steam (it was probably some time last year). I last purchased a full price game on GamersGate just over a week ago.

SPUF.SUX
02-12-2011, 09:38 AM
GamesGate sucks. I purchased a game there in dec 30 2010, they took the money and i never got any game. About 1 month later i got my money back and no game. GG

crunchyfrog555
02-12-2011, 09:41 AM
GamesGate sucks. I purchased a game there in dec 30 2010, they took the money and i never got any game. About 1 month later i got my money back and no game. GG

Everybody makes mistakes, although that is a questionable length of time to wait for a refund, but that entirely depends on whether you contacted them, and what you told them.

Great username by the way. Way to go about endearing to other users, and getting them to take you seriously.

Stay classy!

anelaidlives
02-12-2011, 10:19 AM
The problem with expanding into Japan's PC market is that everything I've seen on it indicates there isn't nearly the size of the market to justify an expansion into it. While there is a large "internet" presence, PC games don't have nearly the popularity. Selling 100,000 companies is considered a run-away success so I can't see that market being valuable.

I've tried Gamers Gate, and with some exceptions, I've found that the prices are the same as for steam so I don't see one as being better than the other. I've seen some games with better prices on steam compared to gamer's gate.

I've been using Steam since it first came out and I have to say its gained a lot of negative reputation but if I had to pick a primary distribution platform, its steam. I don't understand these complaints about requiring steam since, at heart, people love to ♥♥♥♥♥ about the status quo.

The guy sounds like hes posturing.

As for valve's position. Its a small company and hiring employees doesn't solve all the problems nor make a better company.

I never heard of Gamers gate so I guess that's a plus for him but then again, there are lot of such sites on the internet so that I missed this one isn't that amazing.

Platysma
02-12-2011, 10:26 AM
If the competition makes Steam better than I'm happy.

Crunchwrap
02-12-2011, 10:28 AM
This is ironic...

2 months ago, I bought Prey from GamersGate for only $1.90 during their sale.

I never even downloaded it from them. I only bought it so I could get the key and register it on Steam. :P

Crunchwrap
02-12-2011, 10:29 AM

Let me guess.... You bought Prey, and they ran outta keys?

I bought it from them too for and I got my key.

Service was very fast and I was impressed. I'd do business with them again.

Timmeh317
02-12-2011, 10:29 AM
Steam is probably the best digital distribution platform out there at the moment. The only other one I see with the potential to catch up is GFWL. That is, if Microsoft decides to stop ignoring how much potential there is with GFWL.

soviet_sharkey
02-12-2011, 10:38 AM
I used them to buy arma 2, arma 2 op arrowhead, arma 2 british forces and bioshock and, while the games and downloader worked, I was a little annoyed when the keys didnt work with Steam.

{Yotsuba}
02-12-2011, 10:51 AM

And for the record, the problem with Prey is out of their hands. They cannot get any more keys due to ongoing legal problems between the developer and publisher. Which is also why Valve cannot get anymore keys either.

yossarian22
02-12-2011, 11:50 AM
Oh, but it is. Not everyone goes around searching for deals. Some of us have the income to just buy what we want. In that case we look for quality in the services. Steam does have the overall best luxuries and incentives. However, I go to GoG when I need an oldie, so yes I do go to who is best in their field. With Steam/Valve being the overall best and GoG being the best in oldies. With Valve rolling out Screenshot support on Steamcloud.. I can only foresee better and better options incoming.

It doesn't take any time to search for deals now though, you know of a game you want, you check steam, amazon, and gamersgate(those are the 3 I check now) and I'm done in less than a minute.

Nor is it about having the income to buy what you want, some of us are frugal and the 100s of dollars we save by being frugal can go towards other things that aren't usually discounted, for me personally thats to travel and photography. I saved 600 dollars last year by taking a minute to shop around or wait for games to go on sale(it helped that there were no games last year that I really wanted and thus could wait for the sale), thats a roundtrip ticket to Barcelona or another flash head with light mods. Most of my games are still bought through steam because now I generally wait for the big holiday sales at the end of the year to get anything. Shogun 2 is the first game im getting on release date in 14 months, and getting 15 dollars back is far better than nothing back, right?

For me personally, all I care about from my digital distributor is being able to have my own account where the games I purchased are forever available to me to download time and time again. Of course I am probably not really in the target demographic for steam anymore as I'm in my 20s, and I really don't care about the screenshot option they got going now, nor would I ever care to look at someone else's screenshots because 99% of the time they'll be uninteresting.

So for people looking for a community to be a part of, steam is the best option probably, if it works in your region. For people just wanting good deals so they can use their money elsewhere, steam is still great, but even better when you take a single minute to look around.

Its your money, waste it how you want, I'll pay top dollar for the best doctors, engineers, lawyers, artists, and so on, but when it comes to merchandise that is mass produced, then its all about the discounts and incentives for repeat customers.

GirlPower23
02-12-2011, 12:01 PM
Nor is it about having the income to buy what you want, some of us are frugal and the 100s of dollars we save by being frugal can go towards other things that aren't usually discounted, for me personally thats to travel and photography. I saved 600 dollars last year by taking a minute to shop around or wait for games to go on sale(it helped that there were no games last year that I really wanted and thus could wait for the sale), thats a roundtrip ticket to Barcelona or another flash head with light mods. Most of my games are still bought through steam because now I generally wait for the big holiday sales at the end of the year to get anything. Shogun 2 is the first game im getting on release date in 14 months, and getting 15 dollars back is far better than nothing back, right?

While you hobby is Photography and other assorted things. My hobby is gaming, thus saving those 100s of dollars for things that aren't discounted.. is irrelevant because I love gaming and if I want a game now I buy it. Not to say being frugal is a bad thing, it can be a good thing. However I live in a two income household and budget mine and my boyfriends money so we can buy games and extra luxuries when we can. I also make sure we have enough money for traveling and "rainy" days. It just all depends on what your hobbies are and how you budget your money.

Toto pectore
02-12-2011, 12:01 PM

Sooooooo you have bought a game (probably Prey), but they run out of activation-keys - just the exact situation Steam users could have faced several times in the past. They contacted the publisher and waited for the respond. After they got it ("there are no keys anymore") they refunded you - which is exactly the same Steam would do in this situation.

crunchyfrog555
02-12-2011, 12:05 PM
Of course I am probably not really in the target demographic for steam anymore as I'm in my 20s,

Just for the record, if you're suggesting that Steam's target demographic is aligned to that of being targeted at the majority "group", then you fit EXACTLY in that group.

As I've often stated here (and in articles I've written), it comes as a bit of a surprise to some people that the under-18s market is only around 19% of all gamers! The 18-late 20s market is the largest chunk by far.

Of course, it often seems that the under-18s are the most prevalent as they tend to be ... erm, shall we say, the loudest and most in-your-face of all (I don't say that to be disrespectful, by the way).

If you weren't referring to this, then forget I said anything, just carry on :)

Oh, and before someone (such as Briticent) tries to call me out on these statistics, they are fairly standard in that many people who have done such research (or commissioned it) pretty much agree across the board. However, they come from the University of Washington (who do some excellent statistical work and study on video gaming), the Guinness World Records Organization and a few others who's details I cannot remember off the top of my head.

Oh, also, good points about expendable income. I think it's fair to say that even if you're an affluent adult in later life, it's a trait you'll have learned by then to shop around. It's good common sense, particularly with mass-produced stuff - as you say.

Apply
02-12-2011, 01:41 PM
The marketing team will be delighted to know it's working.

JackGrice93
02-12-2011, 01:54 PM
I'd never ditch steam for ANYTHING.

The_Thing
02-12-2011, 02:37 PM
I only had to pay them $2.50 for a Prey key.

Everything else I bought was on Steam.

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/118434/gamersgate-on-steam-competition

"Once digital sales are superior to physical sales, we believe Steam will have a harder time remaining #1. We’ve led the way with many things like weekend offers, promotion programs, holiday sales, and more and they’ve followed. We believe our focus on premium customer support, a client-free experience, a robust reward program, and a DRM-friendly policy will appeal to the masses once they decide to go digital."

Good luck with that...

anelaidlives
02-12-2011, 06:11 PM
Do you know what the weirdest thing? I see games on there that require steam anyways so I don't see how they can hope to overtake steam if they sell steam-reliant games.

intensefunkid
02-12-2011, 06:28 PM
whats gamersgate? steams the only reliable place out there :P

Jito463
02-12-2011, 07:04 PM
Do you know what the weirdest thing? I see games on there that require steam anyways so I don't see how they can hope to overtake steam if they sell steam-reliant games.

It comes down to a choice. Do they choose to ignore Steam (by not selling Steamworks titles), or do they attempt to gain a slice of the "Steam pie" (as it were), by selling those titles, even though it could potentially lose them some customers to the Steam service.

It's a double-edged sword, with no clear answer. It looks like they've chosen the latter over the former, however.

Exceptional reading comprehension...

Did you, perchance, read the part where I said "I" don't like cloud-based saves? Key word being, "I"!

Stop putting words in our mouths.

{Yotsuba}
02-12-2011, 07:38 PM

I would say that GamersGate are far more reliable than Valve. You can count on getting help and an explanation from GamersGate in the event of a problem (as long as you ask them nicely), you can't say the same for Steam. Ask Steam support why X happened and you'll get is a cookie cutter response that tells you they aren't going to tell you.

A game goes on sale on GamersGate and you purchased it earlier that day (or perhaps the day before) chances are very very good that they will refund you the difference if you ask them. Same situation occurs on Steam and by the time you get a response, the sale is over and Valve will tell you that they won't help anyway.

In the event of a billing error on Steam you face the possibility of having your account disabled for several days, perhaps longer. In the event of a similar billing error on GamersGate, you'll still have access to all your installed games.

Really, the only thing Steam has going for it these days in terms of the store is slightly faster download speeds and the occasional discount.

I see games on there that require steam anyways so I don't see how they can hope to overtake steam if they sell steam-reliant games.

The games may use Steam as the DRM, but that doesn't mean that any of the money paid to GamersGate will ever go to Valve. Thus GamersGate get the profit in place of Valve.

anelaidlives
02-12-2011, 08:34 PM

I would say that GamersGate are far more reliable than Valve. You can count on getting help and an explanation from GamersGate in the event of a problem (as long as you ask them nicely), you can't say the same for Steam. Ask Steam support why X happened and you'll get is a cookie cutter response that tells you they aren't going to tell you.

A game goes on sale on GamersGate and you purchased it earlier that day (or perhaps the day before) chances are very very good that they will refund you the difference if you ask them. Same situation occurs on Steam and by the time you get a response, the sale is over and Valve will tell you that they won't help anyway.

In the event of a billing error on Steam you face the possibility of having your account disabled for several days, perhaps longer. In the event of a similar billing error on GamersGate, you'll still have access to all your installed games.

Really, the only thing Steam has going for it these days in terms of the store is slightly faster download speeds and the occasional discount.

I see games on there that require steam anyways so I don't see how they can hope to overtake steam if they sell steam-reliant games.

The games may use Steam as the DRM, but that doesn't mean that any of the money paid to GamersGate will ever go to Valve. Thus GamersGate get the profit in place of Valve.

As for deals, I support valve's option. Sure gamergates solution is more user-friendly but I can't hold it against val

I've gone to support on steam before and didn't get a generic issue so I can't really vouch for the validity of your claim. As for billing errors, the locking of the account is temporary and to prevent fraud.

But in the later case, part of the whole reason for this site was to counter steam. It seems that this is countered by selling games that are on steam since people still need it to use those games.

As for steam? I've gotten a lot of really good deals off of it. The entire call of duty collection for forty dollars, Torchlight and others for half or more off and so on. It seems that you are underselling the strengths of steam along with holding it in a more limited scope than what it really is.

I looked through gamersgate and it seems to be exactly like steam, except with deals in different areas and that the people running it seem to be a lot more arrogant.

SPUF.SUX
02-12-2011, 08:46 PM
Everybody makes mistakes, although that is a questionable length of time to wait for a refund, but that entirely depends on whether you contacted them, and what you told them.

Great username by the way. Way to go about endearing to other users, and getting them to take you seriously.

Stay classy!

Contacted them right away, by writing a formal mail. They did not respond until after the third e-mail.

So you like my username, cool. I can't say yours is 'classy tho'

stay ♥♥♥♥♥♥! :)

SPUF.SUX
02-12-2011, 08:48 PM

And for the record, the problem with Prey is out of their hands. They cannot get any more keys due to ongoing legal problems between the developer and publisher. Which is also why Valve cannot get anymore keys either.

I have told you how it works a thousand times, and i cba do it again, so i'll go short; IT IS THEIR PROBLEM ENTIRLEY. IF THEY CAN'T GET ANY KEYS, THEY SHOULD NOT CONTINUE TO SELL / MARKET THEIR PRODUCT. THEY FAILED.

VividNinjaScar
02-12-2011, 08:50 PM
I have told you how it works a thousand times, and i cba do it again, so i'll go short; IT IS THEIR PROBLEM ENTIRLEY. IF THEY CAN'T GET ANY KEYS, THEY SHOULD NOT CONTINUE TO SELL / MARKET THEIR PRODUCT. THEY FAILED.

Didn't Steam have the same problem with Risen? Yep, it did. GFWL had the same problem when they sold Age of Empires 3 for $0.10.

That isn't exactly something you can prevent, aside from having a rediculious ammount of keys.

{Yotsuba}
02-12-2011, 09:11 PM
I have told you how it works a thousand times, and i cba do it again

Yes, yes. You make it very clear that you didn't -- and still don't -- understand not only the situation, but how companies operate (especially over a holiday period).

Contacted them right away, by writing a formal mail. They did not respond until after the third e-mail.

And the auto response to your first email would have contained the following:

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE RESPONSE TIME MAY TAKE LONGER THAN NORMAL DURING THE HOLIDAYS!

Really, you cannot blame them simply because you were impatient and unwilling to understand that like most businesses, including Valve, they were not working at full capacity over the holidays.

...the people running it seem to be a lot more arrogant.

Are you basing this off of one article? If you had any interaction with the actual store staff members (as opposed to reading an interview by the CEO designed to gain publicity), you'll find them to be a friendly bunch for the most part. Certainly far more friendly than Valve on the whole.

anelaidlives
02-12-2011, 09:18 PM
I have told you how it works a thousand times, and i cba do it again

Yes, yes. You make it very clear that you didn't -- and still don't -- understand not only the situation, but how companies operate (especially over a holiday period).

And the auto response to your first email would have contained the following:

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE RESPONSE TIME MAY TAKE LONGER THAN NORMAL DURING THE HOLIDAYS!

Really, you cannot blame them simply because you were impatient and unwilling to understand that like most businesses, including Valve, they were not working at full capacity over the holidays.

...the people running it seem to be a lot more arrogant.

Are you basing this off of one article? If you had any interaction with the actual store staff members (as opposed to reading an interview by the CEO designed to gain publicity), you'll find them to be a friendly bunch for the most part. Certainly far more friendly than Valve on the whole.

I'm basing it off everything I could find on them. I have nothing against the site itself or the staff members. I certainly don't see how they are any more or less friendly than valve though.

Sir_Brizz
02-12-2011, 09:28 PM
Are there any regions within which Steam itself doesn't work? Maybe you can't get the games, but, afaik, Steam works worldwide if you have an internet connection.

GFWL on the other hand only works in something like 13 countries. I feel sorry for anyone who lives outside of those countries that wants GFWL games...

crunchyfrog555
02-12-2011, 09:34 PM

So you like my username, cool. I can't say yours is 'classy tho'

stay ♥♥♥♥♥♥! :)

Mine classy? Possibly not. But, some thought went into when I first got on the internet about 14 years ago, and being a Monty Python fan, decided to roll out something slightly more obscure that would instantly be memorable as an ID/email address basis. It's stayed with me ever since.

But in comparison to yours? Well, it was obviously SO good (as your attitude) that it only took 9 posts to get banned.

So, classy name, classy attitude!

{Yotsuba}
02-12-2011, 10:14 PM
GFWL on the other hand only works in something like 13 countries.

As far as I know GFWL works worldwide as long as you select one of the supported regions when you make an account. (As it is, they only support 35 and half regions -- while they provide GFWL for Japan, they don't actually support it).

Full listing of supported regions: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GFWL#Availability

GirlPower23
02-12-2011, 11:31 PM

Steam gets another customer though. Thus Steam profits as well. ;)

{Yotsuba}
02-12-2011, 11:37 PM
Steam gets another customer though. Thus Steam profits as well.

Only if that person goes on to buy something from Valve. And lets face it, it's far more likely that most people who are going to buy Steamworks titles from GamersGate already have a Steam account. Thus Valve aren't gaining anything.

yossarian22
02-12-2011, 11:53 PM
While you hobby is Photography and other assorted things. My hobby is gaming, thus saving those 100s of dollars for things that aren't discounted.. is irrelevant because I love gaming and if I want a game now I buy it. Not to say being frugal is a bad thing, it can be a good thing. However I live in a two income household and budget mine and my boyfriends money so we can buy games and extra luxuries when we can. I also make sure we have enough money for traveling and "rainy" days. It just all depends on what your hobbies are and how you budget your money.

I totally get what you're saying, but with photography, in particular - lenses, the prices don't drop significantly just months later, they generally don't drop at all, ever, and some lenses the prices go up. The only way to really get a great deal on a lens, is to buy from a private seller like on craigslist(where i got a 450 lens for 100 since the seller had no idea the real value of the lens, probably because she too doesn't believe in doing a quick shopping around ;). And I have some price alerts set on kayak that alert me when airfare is a certain price, for example I went to russia for new years for 500 dollars, usually costs me 900-1100 for a round trip ticket. I wouldn't have gone to russia if I didn't get sucha great deal(thats the only reason I went back there cause it was such a cheap ticket). Point being, even with my slightly more valued hobbies I'm still extremely frugal, and with gaming moreso because I know the prices will drop significantly and can use that money towards my hobbies where the prices don't drop so rapidly if at all.

Same with building my system, it cost me 600 dollars altogether and maxes out crysis, metro 2033, and anything else I throw at it never dropping below 40fps. Most people scoff at the price I paid and cant believe it can max out all current games, they all think you need to spend at least 1500-2000 minimum on a system. Which is bs, my system will max out anything for the next couple of years, and play at least on medium-high settings for another 2-3 years, which at that point I'll start buying the parts when they get heavily discounted during a newegg sell or something pops up on craigslist. I never understood why someone would buy 2 overpowered video cards for a total of 1000 dollars, when in a year they'll be worth 400 dollars maybe, and no current games need anywhere near that much power.

Just for the record, if you're suggesting that Steam's target demographic is aligned to that of being targeted at the majority "group", then you fit EXACTLY in that group.

As I've often stated here (and in articles I've written), it comes as a bit of a surprise to some people that the under-18s market is only around 19% of all gamers! The 18-late 20s market is the largest chunk by far.

lol yeah I didn't mean it like that, my fault for bringing up age(me and my friends practically play more games than my 16 year old nephew and his friends), what I meant more was that things like screenshot galleries don't interest me since 99% of the screenshots people take will be uninteresting and I don't care about steam achievements, so the things steam is rolling out to create a stronger community is great for the majority of people, those things just don't too much appeal to me, especially when theres no real value to them. Now if steam were to introduce screenshot contests, where people could win "steam points" for submitting the best screenshot, then that would be of interest to me, get some steam money to buy games with. I guess I need competition and monetary value.

Which reminds me, whats the point of the steam rating? Is it only based on your 2 week playtime? Since mine is at 10 with my 2 week being at 30 hours(i do play games alot, almost always do a round or 2 of l4d2 or BC2 every day when I'm not traveling) but a couple weeks ago when i had like 8 hours it was down to 2.8 or something.

Drag0nZorD!
02-13-2011, 01:51 AM
Thus, if Valve continue to ignore these markets, then they will simply allow their competitors to find room to grow -- and grow they will.

sounds good to me.

now the puny online game delivery systems can stop accusing valve of monopolizing.

GamersGate ''Wer're not afraid of steam''

well im sure valve isnt afraid of gamersgate. i actually hope that valve is a developer first and a distribution service second.

epsylon_Z1
02-13-2011, 02:16 AM
The dinosaurs extinct , the mammals survived .

Drag0nZorD!
02-13-2011, 02:22 AM
The dinosaurs extinct , the mammals survived .

lol wtf?

{Yotsuba}
02-13-2011, 03:05 AM
now the puny online game delivery systems can stop accusing valve of monopolizing.

You should probably read up on what monopolizing is first, before making a statement like that.

praetor
02-13-2011, 03:05 AM
They just want to get some attention to Steam users out there, since they don't have that percentage of users that use GamersGate(not a good name lol) than Steam

You can obviously compare GamersGate and Steam Facebook pages who had the most fans

Steam's FB: http://www.facebook.com/Steam
GG's FB: http://www.facebook.com/GamersGate

=UAL=Shock&Awe
02-13-2011, 03:23 AM
They just want to get some attention to Steam users out there, since they don't have that percentage of users that use GamersGate(not a good name lol) than Steam

You can obviously compare GamersGate and Steam Facebook pages who had the most fans

Long live Gabe Newell, Valve, and Steam!

epsylon_Z1
02-13-2011, 03:23 AM

GG's FB: http://www.facebook.com/GamersGateSince when become Facebook a reliable source ?

Toto pectore
02-13-2011, 03:32 AM
Exactly. Facebook fans as an argument - lol. praetor: nobody here declared that GamersGate is bigger (has bigger userbase/sales number) than Steam. Steam is bigger - there is no argue about it, but it's so big it's almost (or already is) a monopoly.

GirlPower23
02-13-2011, 04:54 AM
Since when become Facebook a reliable source ?

FaceBook is a really good source of comparison because so many use it. It gives a good sample size of popularity and so forth. While it's not a end all source it is a very good example of the twos popularity. Just because FaceBook is evil and blah blah.. doesn't mean it's not good example. The sample sizes speak for themselves.

DarkLite123
02-13-2011, 04:56 AM
FaceBook is a really good source of comparison because so many use it. It gives a good sample size of popularity and so forth. While it's not a end all source it is a very good example of the twos popularity. Just because FaceBook is evil and blah blah.. doesn't mean it's not good example. The sample sizes speak for themselves.

You realise that it's "Facebook", right?

GirlPower23
02-13-2011, 04:58 AM
You realise that it's "Facebook", right?

You realize that putting a capital where I want doesn't change the correct spelling or makes my statement anymore wrong.

DarkLite123
02-13-2011, 05:01 AM
You realize that putting a capital where I want doesn't change the correct spelling or makes my statement anymore wrong.

True. It just makes you look silly.

VividNinjaScar
02-13-2011, 07:01 AM

http://www.facebook.com/GamersGate#!/gamesforwindows
http://www.facebook.com/Direct2Drive#!/Direct2Drive?v=wall
http://www.facebook.com/Direct2Drive#!/impulsedriven
http://www.facebook.com/Direct2Drive#!/pages/Good-Old-Games/112283218784798

Facebook might not be the best thing to go by, but it is way better than group surveys. But, as it has been said before, no one claimed to be bigger than Steam.

Solona
02-13-2011, 07:05 AM
First I've heard of "GamersGate"

Drag0nZorD!
02-13-2011, 10:23 AM

You should probably read up on what monopolizing is first, before making a statement like that.

you should prob not try to sound like such a condescending jerk when you post. even if i didnt know what monopolizing meant doesnt defeat the fact that i read articles accusing them of so.

i have even read empty threats about lawsuits because of it. all obviously hot air of course.

anelaidlives
02-13-2011, 10:36 AM
How is steam a monopoly? Having a large presence in a niche market doesn't make a monopoly, especially since Steam isn't forcing out the competition.

I see it closer to the airplanes, where a small group of companies may claim competition but make deals so they can all make a better profit.

Drag0nZorD!
02-13-2011, 10:51 AM
How is steam a monopoly? Having a large presence in a niche market doesn't make a monopoly, especially since Steam isn't forcing out the competition.

because its easy to blame a successful company just on the fact that yours is sinking.

crunchyfrog555
02-13-2011, 10:52 AM
You cannot have a monopoly if you have viable rivals who can compete on an equal footing.

anelaidlives
02-13-2011, 10:59 AM
because its easy to blame a successful company just on the fact that yours is sinking.

I don't think either company will sink although both might diminish depending on which way the economy goes next and how long it takes digital distribution to catch up with retail and effectively overtake it.

Although the more I look at steam and gamersgate, the more I think they are apples and oranges: they may both be digital distribution platforms but that have different goals in mind.

And Gamersgate doesn't have Borderlands:GOTY for the PC.

MADDOGGE
02-13-2011, 11:38 AM
Competition is always good. The more the merrier. That way there are lots of choices and everyone can pick the poison that gives them what they want, how they want it and fits their personality.

mouton
02-13-2011, 12:18 PM
The fact that the gamersgate folks are a tad bitter and talk trash does not change the very real fact of Valve's market dominance.

In other words, just because they spin data in their favour doesn't automatically mean they are not right.

Sir_Brizz
02-13-2011, 02:36 PM
The word monopoly has a negative connotation which all of Steams competitors are trying to use to convince people to stop using Steam.

The problem is, Valve doesn't buy up their competition and ANY of the DD place COULD directly compete with Steam without problems but they choose not to.

VividNinjaScar
02-13-2011, 03:36 PM
The word monopoly has a negative connotation which all of Steams competitors are trying to use to convince people to stop using Steam.

The problem is, Valve doesn't buy up their competition and ANY of the DD place COULD directly compete with Steam without problems but they choose not to.

Right, they CHOOSE not to make any more money.

Steam has a strangle hold on the market right now by including it with a lot of big releases. The store opens up when you launch a game, so it isn't hidden at all.

For all you know, Valve pays developers to use it in their games.