PDA

View Full Version : Attaining Happiness through Thankfulness

evoleo24
02-08-2011, 08:09 PM
It's generally a good practice to try and list some day to day things that you are thankful for.

In this thread, I ask of you to do two things. Firstly, state something that you are thankful for (your health, your good friend etc..) Then take something bad, or negative, that has happened to you in the recent past that you can turn into something good.

Try to do this every day, it relieves stress, allows you to be more happy and optimistic and generally makes you feel better about your existence. If not in this thread, keep a journal!

Here's mine.

I'm thankful that I am able to have a home-cooked meal every night.

Last week, my hours were cut at work. Though I made less money, I was able to spend more time with my girlfriend.

Take it away!

Blackops
02-08-2011, 08:15 PM
I'm thankful my parents are together. I'm a big family man and it seems more and more people have marital problems these days. I'm also glad I have a roof over my head and food on the table.

Jinoruizraged
02-08-2011, 08:15 PM
I'm thankful my legs work properly.

I don't have a job, but now I have time to do other things and be with more people!

GrimHeaper22
02-08-2011, 08:16 PM
I'm thankful for good parents.

Today I'm sore from gym but at least I'm getting fit. :)

evoleo24
02-08-2011, 08:17 PM
I'm thankful my parents are together. I'm a big family man and it seems more and more people have marital problems these days. I'm also glad I have a roof over my head and food on the table.

Try to think of a negative thing and spin it into a positive one. It allows you to be more optimistic about misfortunate events in your future. ^_^. Great response, though.

AsheMan
02-08-2011, 08:18 PM
I'm thankful for great neighbors who spontaneously invited me over for steak and potatoes tonight!

I had to work two extra hours to finish some paperwork tonight, but that means that I have a stress free sleep and do not have to go to work early tomorrow!

Burack
02-08-2011, 08:21 PM
What's with the recent therapy threads?

To stay on topic:
I am thankful for basically everything happened to me. Including negative things, because without them, I couldn't be the man I am today.

HellJumper
02-08-2011, 08:21 PM
I'm thankful that I have access to running water, and I'm thankful to have the greatest brother in the world ;)

Shout out to him, haha.

evoleo24
02-08-2011, 08:23 PM

To stay on topic:
I am thankful for basically everything happened to me. Including negative things, because without them, I couldn't be the man I am today.

Seeing the 'awesome' thread, reminded me of an assignment I did for a "Psychology of Happiness' class. This was pretty much the assignment.

Sgt. Lumpy
02-08-2011, 08:24 PM
I'm thankful for being in a great family. :D

I have a cruddy computer, but one day soon, I'll be in the military and will do and see cooler stuff than a computer. :cool:

Jinoruizraged
02-08-2011, 08:31 PM

To stay on topic:

Its not therapy unless you use it for such. :p

Europhoria
02-08-2011, 08:41 PM
I'm thankful for the Steam sales for now I have no money to spend on weapons of mass destruction.

xboxer
02-08-2011, 08:42 PM
My health.

My parents.

bluz74
02-08-2011, 08:45 PM
The SUF.
Valve
My dog.
Things that smell like cabbage.
My other family.
Mila Kunis.

Eriako
02-08-2011, 08:48 PM
I'm thankful that I'm done studying for today.

Not so much for my knee that feels like it's full of angry bees, but this allows me to sit and draw so that's okay.

spacebug
02-08-2011, 08:56 PM
Well, I am thankful that my life got majorly ♥♥♥♥ed over because I can see that I have a lot of knowledge and understanding than I would have otherwise, and am probably in a better place personally.

But it doesn't make me feel happy.

LocalFiend138
02-08-2011, 11:55 PM
I am thankful for landing a great full-time job. It's a rare thing for people to find these days.

I may have less free time to play my guitar, but at least in a few months I'll be able to afford my own car and hopefully start gigging!

FreemanForPrez
02-09-2011, 12:08 AM
I'm thankful that I can still afford my internet connection even though I had to cut back on a lot of other things thanks to this sucky economy in my crappy, dead state. Without it I'd be sunk.

My income is way down from what it was a couple years ago, which has created a lot of problems, but at least I've had time to devote to other things and I'm on the verge of a career change that I always wanted but wasn't able to devote the time to before.

xboxer
02-09-2011, 12:20 AM
I'm thankful that I can still afford my internet connection even though I had to cut back on a lot of other things thanks to this sucky economy in my crappy, dead state. Without it I'd be sunk.

My income is way down from what it was a couple years ago, which has created a lot of problems, but at least I've had time to devote to other things and I'm on the verge of a career change that I always wanted but wasn't able to devote the time to before.

That sucks. :(

I know how you feel because I've been down this road. I'm still struggling though.

But keep your chin up and keep beating a path. :cool:

velvetmeds
02-09-2011, 04:30 AM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1481572/

I'm thankful for all the great work my favorite "artists" (musicians, writers, movie "makers", etc) do. World wouldn't be the same without them. *listening to Inception's soundtrack*

Crab
02-09-2011, 05:38 AM
I'm thankful for having access to most of the things that make up a decent modern lifestyle, including a nice computer, education, and running water.

I may be lazy about finishing assignments, but at least I finish them on time *eventually*

Hey, I think you're right. Thank you Dr. SUF :P

I always wonder about these threads and whether they have good or bad advice. Hey, I'm a little bit of a skeptic :P

KingFisher316
02-09-2011, 06:11 AM

I'm thankful for this also.

Peace!

bluz74
02-09-2011, 06:31 AM
I am currently thankful for my cat like reflexes.

magnatrix
02-09-2011, 08:21 AM
I am thankful for family, i am in the 10th grade and some of my schoolmates have divorced parents and really bad family relationships

I lost my part time job as a ♥♥♥♥♥♥ during the hols but i learnt alot and the job sucked, im happy that i got fired and left with exp

magnatrix
02-09-2011, 08:22 AM
I am thankful for family, i am in the 10th grade and some of my schoolmates have divorced parents and really bad family relationships

I lost my part time job as a ♥♥♥♥♥♥ during the hols but i learnt alot and the job sucked, im happy that i got fired and left with exp

why is p@cker censored???

xboxer
02-09-2011, 08:29 AM
why is p@cker censored???

Maybe because if it is spelled with an "E", it will mean the male genitalia and some wise guy may circumvent it with an "A" instead.

Europhoria
02-09-2011, 09:10 AM
It could also be because it's a derogatory term used to describe homosexuals (I'm guessing).

real4xor
02-09-2011, 11:32 AM
I`m thankful for all the games made which keep me entertained.

Life is too boring, but at least nothing horribly bad is going to happen to the neighbourhood.

tibetanpunk
02-09-2011, 12:16 PM
I am thankful that I live in a free part of the world.

I am sad that there is so much needless suffering in the world.

DocZ
02-09-2011, 12:51 PM
I am thankful I have a bar where I can go drown my misery and be with my friends.

Well, my boss screwed me over again last week, but the positive note is he doesn't know I'm selected for another job, and when they call me in a few weeks, I can go to the office and hand in my resignation, complete with finger...... OOOOoooh so looking forward to this....

wakeless0
02-09-2011, 12:54 PM
I am thankful for my beautiful fiance. I definitely got lucky with this one.

Yesterday we had my 14 year old dog put down. Had him since I was 7. I will miss him, but will do my best to remain happy and remember the great times we had.

A Guy
02-09-2011, 01:55 PM
I'm thankful for having a good computer (although ASUS has kept it from me for a month already :mad:).

I don't have any friends, but I am an independent kind of person anyway.

Urhan
02-09-2011, 02:24 PM
I am thankful to

ALL OF YOU, guys.

Thanks for writing a thread like this.
This really made the difference.
There's been a while since I have this silent sadness and I feel pretty tired. I guess I'm a bit down, although I keep going on.

This is why I am so receptive for things like this, and makes me smile and encourage me to stand up, seeing so much positive attitudes.

Thank you.

;)

evoleo24
02-09-2011, 02:26 PM
I am thankful to

ALL OF YOU, guys.

Thanks for writing a thread like this.
This really made the difference.
There's been a while since I have this silent sadness and I feel pretty tired. I guess I'm a bit down, although I keep going on.

This is why I am so receptive for such things like this, and makes me smile for a moment, and encourage me to stand up, seeing so much positive attitudes.

Thank you.

;)

Can't tell if this is /sarcasm. But, if it's not, glad we could help.

Tenzou
02-09-2011, 02:26 PM
I'm thankful I don't have to read this ♥♥♥♥in bull♥♥♥♥ every day

evoleo24
02-09-2011, 02:27 PM
I'm thankful I don't have to read this ♥♥♥♥in bull♥♥♥♥ every day

What bull♥♥♥♥? Optimism and happiness is but a choice. Not my fault you have not chosen it. =)

Smertnik
02-09-2011, 02:27 PM
I'm thankful that DA2 comes out right after my last exam.

Tenzou
02-09-2011, 02:29 PM
what do you mean? I'm definitely happy, I am honestly thankful here. I read the thread and thought about it for a moment and decided I am thankful I don't have to see ♥♥♥♥ like this all the time, it is great

evoleo24
02-09-2011, 02:31 PM
what do you mean? I'm definitely happy, I am honestly thankful here. I read the thread and thought about it for a moment and decided I am thankful I don't have to see ♥♥♥♥ like this all the time, it is great

As in you don't have to read others misfortunes? If so, I apologize I mis-interpreted your post.

Urhan
02-09-2011, 02:35 PM
Can't tell if this is /sarcasm. But, if it's not, glad we could help.

No sarcasm.

FreemanForPrez
02-09-2011, 03:56 PM
I'm thankful I don't have to deal with several feet of snow every other day and that I can open my windows in February and let the warm air in.

I detest the heat here in the summer though, but I'll deal with it since the women tend to wear as little clothing as possible. :D

evoleo24
02-13-2011, 02:46 PM
I'm thankful I don't have to deal with several feet of snow every other day and that I can open my windows in February and let the warm air in.

I detest the heat here in the summer though, but I'll deal with it since the women tend to wear as little clothing as possible. :D

Lucky =/

I am thankful that I get a break from 100+ degree weather in New Englands summers.

evoleo24
03-13-2011, 10:22 AM
I'm thankful that I was able to find a job a new my field. (Start tuesday!)

I have school exams next week but at least that means the quarters done.

Ihavenoidea
03-13-2011, 12:48 PM
I cant remember where I heard this, but there was this study; they gave, lets say twenty people, around fifty dollars each. They were instructed to either keep it for themselves or spend it on a gift for someone else. The people who spent their money on others were overall happier then the ones who kept the money.