PDA

View Full Version : Mutation: Hunter Games - Reverse Tag

Woden
02-09-2011, 09:18 AM
Hunter Games was a L4D1 mod which, sadly, was discontinued by its developer, EVOL, quite some time ago and never had a L4D2 version.

It was eight hunters, no survivors, playing several different modes for points. Reverse Tag, as seen from 4:00 to 5:24 in this here video, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q7CKpAoX4Y) was arguably the best mode. In Reverse Tag, one hunter is "it" and the other seven are chasing him, trying to scratch him and thereby steal the role of "it." Whoever is "it" earns one point each second, and whoever has the most points at the end of ten minutes wins. The role of "it" is randomly decided at the start of the round, and if one hunter is "it" for more than a certain length of time (90 seconds, I think it was), "it" is given to someone else at random.

Reverse Tag was hugely entertaining, and it was excellent hunter training (nothing teaches you faster than seven hunters chasing you). Obviously, in 2, hunter training is far less crucial, but it would still be useful for people to learn the ins and outs of hunter-fu.

The mutation would be set in certain selected levels which have a vertical dimension and are generally interesting to move around in, rather than played in full campaigns.

Or someone could just port/re-implement the Hunter Games mod. That would work too, I'm not picky.

Bad Card
02-09-2011, 09:44 AM
Sounds like something that could be actually fun, instead of these current mutations that barely alter the stock gameplay enough to even spark an interest.

However the role of "it" should be stolen simply by touching the hunter, because how are you going to scratch him if he stays midair the whole time?

Woden
02-09-2011, 09:52 AM
However the role of "it" should be stolen simply by touching the hunter, because how are you going to scratch him if he stays midair the whole time?

That was always something of an issue with the original mod. Before he halted development, EVOL was attempting to add midair "scratching" in response to the emergent tactic of just sitting somewhere high and small so that the other hunters had to land next to you to scratch, and you would just scratch them off the ledge before they could do it. Or, people would just endlessly do vertical walljumps and be untouchable.

In L4D2, SI no longer bounce each other with their melee, so that tactic would be slightly less effective, but still broken. Midair scratching would be the optimal implementation, because that requires more aim and precision to make the tag than simple contact does. But, with that said, building the mutation to pass "it" on contact seems like it would be easier to do, which makes it the better choice for implementation.

SonikFan
02-09-2011, 09:54 AM
Sounds like something that could be actually fun, instead of these current mutations that barely alter the stock gameplay enough to even spark an interest.

Well I don't about you, but I loved Riding My Survivor. Huge gameplay shift.

Anyways, yeah, this sounds like a good idea. Good practice for wall jumping. But maybe make it so the tagged Hunter can't stay in the air for more than 15 seconds, and after he does he has a recharge? Just to make it so other Hunters can catch him.

Off topic again, I just played with a Woden...Friends-Only, The Parish... He raged when we started losing by 50 points.

Mambini
02-09-2011, 09:56 AM
ahaha! Love the idea.

Looks like Dragon Ball!

SonikFan
02-09-2011, 09:57 AM
ahaha! Love the idea.

Looks like Dragon Ball!

But with 98% less filler.

Bad Card
02-09-2011, 10:35 AM
That was always something of an issue with the original mod. Before he halted development, EVOL was attempting to add midair "scratching" in response to the emergent tactic of just sitting somewhere high and small so that the other hunters had to land next to you to scratch, and you would just scratch them off the ledge before they could do it. Or, people would just endlessly do vertical walljumps and be untouchable.

In L4D2, SI no longer bounce each other with their melee, so that tactic would be slightly less effective, but still broken. Midair scratching would be the optimal implementation, because that requires more aim and precision to make the tag than simple contact does. But, with that said, building the mutation to pass "it" on contact seems like it would be easier to do, which makes it the better choice for implementation.

If you get someone to make it into a community mutation and push it forward to Valve, there's a high chance of it making it into the game. Because they like stuff already made for them.

Kinda like how they wait for the community to do the kill icons for them in TF2 when they release their batch of new community made weapons with randomly generated stats. (+20% damage, -15% move speed on wearer. Hurp.)

Sorry, I'm being mean now. :(

SonikFan
02-09-2011, 10:36 AM
If you get someone to make it into a community mutation and push it forward to Valve, there's a high chance of it making it into the game. Because they like stuff already made for them.

Kinda like how they wait for the community to do the kill icons for them in TF2 when they release their batch of new community made weapons with randomly generated stats. (+20% damage, -15% move speed on wearer. Hurp.)

Sorry, I'm being mean now. :(

I don't like the Skullcutter either, but that's a different story.

gatherto
02-09-2011, 11:05 AM
this stuff is amazing

would it be possible to make one for charger as well? at least as far as i've seen, charger is the most misused SI, because he can be incredibly useful for setting up a 4-cap but is often used for potshots

The Desert Fox
02-09-2011, 11:44 AM
I have nothing to add but my support for this.

Jayjones
02-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Seems like a cool idea. try contacting the custom mutation makers of this forums to try to help you out with this

zoso33
02-10-2011, 12:10 AM
This would be so much fun. The Mutations nowadays is just "one Infected beefed up" or "Mutation for gameplay mode that no one plays".

The Charger one could be very fun. Maybe only be able to steal "it" would be while charging.

Extend this into other SI:

Tug of War: Smokers pull something (most likely a Survivor to keep mechanics the same) to their side. You get points longer the Survivor's on your side. For defense, your teammate is either a Charger/Hunter that can melee your opponent's tongue off of the Survivor.