PDA

View Full Version : Is the Steam Overlay problem ever going to be fixed?

Xman
02-09-2011, 04:39 PM
Seriously. It's just stupid that this problem STILL hasn't been given attention to. I know you can disable the overlay on each individual game, but it's still a ridiculous problem.

It says "disallowed program" (http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/147/stupidpunkbuster.png) when it kicks you, so can't it just be an allowed program for punkbuster? Why is there a game on Steam where you're not allowed to use the overlay? It doesn't make any sense.

This problem exists with COD4 as well. I'm not sure about the Steam version, but I have the regular retail version, and when I tie it into Steam, it still does it. I'm willing to bet the Steam version does the same thing.

I know that I can just play without the overlay, but it's really convenient to have at hand when people are messaging you and if you want to browse the internet or whatever. And if I remember correctly, punkbuster blamed this problem on Steam's end according to one of the tickets that was discussed on here a while ago.

So, does that mean punkbuster thinks we can cheat with the Steam overlay? I don't see any potential way to cheat at all with it. You can still talk over the mic with other people through Steam not to mention Ventrilo. Is browsing the internet somehow cheating? I don't get it.

seseorang
03-16-2011, 04:44 PM
Even Balance, the owners of PunkBuster say that there was nothing wrong with it until Steam updated, and now it's unlikely there will be an update to allow Steam's overlay to run with PunkBuster running.

Valve have tried to communicate with Even Balance but were met with - "Punk Buster was fine until Steam was updated so the update should be reversed and everything will be fine" (or something like that)

This is why Steam now has the option to disable the overlay per-game now. If this was Microsoft, Even Balance would update it - but they haven't