PDA

View Full Version : SP1 Bug Tracking Thread

WhileTrueFork
02-09-2011, 06:44 PM
Hello there- I decided to open a forum thread to track current bugs (also: enhancement requests, though bugs will get higher priorities, obviously).

To start things off- I was recently made aware of some issues with achievements not triggering- this seems as though it has mainly to do with Unity (which is the engine SP1 was written in) not storing local data quite the way I thought (on Windows machines anyway). That's in process right now, and I'll be rolling out achievement fixes in batches as I get them done.

I'll be tracking bugs/issues via this thread for now, but you should also definitely feel free to email any questions/concerns/etc to support@whiletruefork.com. I know that a lot of games get released on Steam and then more or less abandoned by developers (I'm looking at you, Jade Empire), and that's not going to happen here.

Thanks for playing SP1. It's crazy to see people actually playing it, and I absolutely want to fix any issues that prevent it from being the best possible unix-joke-based-3d-tower-defense-game. Please be patient, though: WhileTrueFork is essentially just me, and I work a regular 45 hour week on the side.

Thanks!
-The Management

Gramatak
02-10-2011, 01:47 AM
Hi, good to see the developer here. :)

Bugs:

- Stream Lattice score count only from the first wave and if you rush other waves the score goes down (see here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1722135)

- a switch is missing (some achievement sites say there must be 6 switches but we only found 5)

- sometimes you have in example exact 5 cache but cannot build a tower that cost 5 cache (maybe has to do with rounding, but the game should round up so you can use all cache you see)

- Guacamole is just impossible (nearly), there is a slight chance to beat it legaly at easy, but everything above is NOT possible. I say the easy level has the difficult Frumious should have or is even above that a bit. Nerv it or push compressors (see below)

Suggestions:

I finished all Levels on frumious (except guacamole) with a top 3 (much top 1) score. But i nearly only used: Ping Cannons, Pyramid Towers and Scan bombs. Thats why:

- Multiplexer tower sould have same damage at level 1 as ping cannons, at moment they are weaker. and also a little lesser upgrade cost.

- Sudo Kill command sould be able to fire over the whole map from level 1 and has a way lower loading time, because hes totaly useless before level 5. In a game where you fight dozens of enemys at the same time a single target defense is nearly useless.

- Compressors are totaly extreme useless at moment. First they cost WAY WAY WAY to much! Also they are nearly useless cause the autotriggering, this sould be intelligend and only trigger is there are some viruses in range and not only 1. Even if you have enough cache to build up a level 5 compressor, the first small virus come and it trigger and then load again 20 second and all other viruses can pass, thats stupid. I think they need a complete redesign. I.e. they trigger all the time automatically (not if virus in reach, but all 5 seconds or so and or lower at higher levels) and cost way lesser. Also the Dps do not increase correctly from level 3 to 5 (1 to 2 = 60% more dps, 2 to 3 = 66% more dps, 3 to 4 = 92% more dps and 4 to 5 only 40% more dps).

- Capacitors are interesting but hm i never used them, to much cost, to low damage and cannot attack background. Its never worth to spend up so much cache for something normaly souldn needed. Make it much cheaper (cause the long loading it will still be only a last defense)

- Honey Pots at first: they grow way way way to slow, after 10 min of permasucking enemys it still do only 10 dmg per sec or so. Thats not worth it, sure its cheap but it need way to long to get a high damage output. Also the same problem like sudo kill command, only single target. If it can attack only 1 and no bosses and background it realy sould grow 10 times faster or so.

- Code injectiors are fine, but maybe the sould have more snippeds from start to be usefull against the small viruses (at moment they are only usefull against bosses, but because ping cannons are the only real thing against them (stun) they are not realy needed)

- at last the Process monitor is a interesting idea, but not realy needed. maybe he sould give some bonus to the towers or so, so hes worth the cache and ram.

zedraxlo
02-10-2011, 06:48 AM
Good job Gramatak, what you said is just what I want to said. I have not had time to submitted to developer these 4 questions.

WhileTrueFork
02-12-2011, 07:07 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Guac *was* impossible but I recently fixed an issue where it was spawning 36 fast bosses from one DataPort (towards the end) rather than 6- so it may be a lot easier to beat now.

The achievement issues are all basically the same issue- for some reason (and it *seems* to be Windows only?) the way Unity is storing data on the local computer borked up and int and floating values got reversed. I'll add all these to the queue- there should be an update this week which fixes a lot more of the issues, and I want to try and catch that scan bomb infinite tower issue and fix the antivirus firing from random locations issue too.

If anyone on this forum would like to help test these fixes before they get pushed to steam, send an email to support@whiletruefork.com and when the fixes are ready for testing, I'll send you a link to a time-locked patch test.

Your suggestions are interesting ones (and I do periodically change the numbers on programs, so I'm going to see if I can address some of your concerns). Basically everyone I've talked to has had strong opinions either way about compressors and honeypots. I like HoneyPots not so much for the damage, but because they can effectively reduce the number of viruses on the board and let your other turrets fire- especially on smaller maps. Compressors do kind of suck if you leave them to your own devices but if you manage them well I've seen a single compressor do upwards of 50% of the total damage on a map. They work especially well if you put code injectors before them, since whoever gets hit by the injector will get slammed with at least two compressor shots.

Regory
02-12-2011, 03:52 PM
I like compressors :)

They really really suck when you play normally, but they're nice when you're trying to juggle multiple waves.

Strangely, I also like them for refurbs...
(Spam right click)

Capacitors are completely useless. Even at level 5, the damage they do is negligible. Maybe increase max damage, increase the time to get a full charge, and make power build exponentially.

Re: Honeypots, I think my problem with them is that there is always a better choice. Honeypots:

- attack one enemy at a time (bad for groups)
- can't attack bosses (bad for endgame)
- don't guarantee a kill when sucking in viruses (bad for catching stragglers)

Add in the fact that you can't upgrade it with surplus cache, and you have something that does low damage in early stages, and can't do anything to bosses in later stages.

They also break up groups of viruses, making area of effect units less effective. You could argue that it makes single shot units more effective, but I'd still say the code injecter does it better.

By the way, do monitors actually tell you when boss waves are coming? I never figured out how to tell.

blackice64
02-14-2011, 03:53 PM
If anyone on this forum would like to help test these fixes before they get pushed to steam, send an email to support@whiletruefork.com and when the fixes are ready for testing, I'll send you a link to a time-locked patch test.

I'm willing to help with testing, if you're still looking for people.

WhileTrueFork
02-19-2011, 03:21 PM
OK, I was out of commission because of my criminally negligent internet provider, but here's a status update:
-Scan Bomb infinite pillar issue is solved
-Switch achievement should retroactively fire now
-Capacitors have the same damage but now charge significantly faster at higher levels (increasing effective DPS)

I'd like to wrap up a few more things in this fix set, but it should be ready for Monday.

Someone had a question about the Overtime achievement- this is not keyed off of the time Steam has logged for the game- it only counts time spent unpaused in a level that you can lose (ie, not a tutorial).

zedraxlo
02-22-2011, 09:03 PM
OK, I was out of commission because of my criminally negligent internet provider, but here's a status update:
-Scan Bomb infinite pillar issue is solved
-Switch achievement should retroactively fire now
-Capacitors have the same damage but now charge significantly faster at higher levels (increasing effective DPS)

I'd like to wrap up a few more things in this fix set, but it should be ready for Monday.

Someone had a question about the Overtime achievement- this is not keyed off of the time Steam has logged for the game- it only counts time spent unpaused in a level that you can lose (ie, not a tutorial).

When this new patch will be available?
I was concerned about it.

mithras
02-26-2011, 03:39 PM
Here is a bug I noticed while playing the campaign. I posted this elsewhere, but it should probably go here.

A wave ended, and I finished with exactly 45.00 Cache. So, I tried to upgrade a Pyramid to Level 2 (which costs exactly 45), and it would not let me upgrade the Pyramid until the next wave started and I killed one more virus. I believe that my Cache is rounded up ever so slightly (but not recognized for upgrading purposes). Is it possible to truncate the display instead of rounding OR be able to buy with what is displayed?

WhileTrueFork
03-09-2011, 05:02 PM
OK, I pushed out a patch a while back but my internet access has been terrible and I wasn't able to post the news here. That patch fixes the switch issue, makes some of the levels a bit more balanced, resolves an issue where the credits level wasn't rewarding players, fixes that infinite scanbomb issue, and makes capacitors a bit better. I also loosened the restrictions on the OverTime achievement so that it counts time spend paused.

I haven't been able to reproduce any issues with the game preventing you from buying something when the money is exactly what's needed, but I *think* it's likely a precision issue. Every system handles floating points a bit differently and sometimes there can be rounding errors- I'm bumping up the precision on variables that store cache so they are substantially higher than necessary, which will hopefully resolve it. If anyone can find a way to consistently reproduce it, let me know.

zedraxlo
03-09-2011, 08:24 PM
I'm sorry WTFork but, the Credit level is still not fixed, and Guacamole is still impossible at Frumious.

MadVandal
03-15-2011, 06:11 PM
Hello there- I decided to open a forum thread to track current bugs (also: enhancement requests, though bugs will get higher priorities, obviously).

Thank you for finally coming to forums to address everyone, we have been waiting some time for some kind of feedback about some issues such as Guacamole. Now that it is confirmed that Guacamole was impossible can the cheaters be removed from the leaderboard?

I have also run into a odd bug on Stream Lattice where I survive all the waves but for some reason I get a 36/36 progress insead of "All Waves". Is this something related to the problem with achievements?

da_petcu21
03-17-2011, 11:44 AM
Hi!

The first thing I'm going to say is that this is THE best Tower Defence game I ever played and I particularly enjoy the unix jokes :D
Any plans for an iPhone port?

The first bug I noticed is pretty bad... Sometimes, I couldn't figure out when, some keys would get stuck (it only happened to me 3 times with the S key resulting in me being unable to scroll upwards)
EDIT: The last time it happened I think I just had recieved a Growl notification

The second one, I wouldn't call it a bug... On OS X you are using the exclusive full screen mode which hides everything (Growl notifications, volume/brightness system notifications), but more importantly It doesn't allow you to use Expose, Spaces or to cmd-TAB out of it... As a result, you must quit the game losing any progress every time you recieve an IM or something... You can't even check the clock or the battery power
I think you have to do something like creating a big NSWindow and hiding the status bar and the Dock (like most fullscreen apps do)... I have no idea how exactly... I never used fullscreen in any of my apps

EDIT: found something (without the animation part): http://cocoawithlove.com/2009/08/animating-window-to-fullscreen-on-mac.html

Drakis
04-25-2011, 11:03 AM
so far i havent found too many BIG bugs, but i do have some stuff to make note of:

Fun on a cube: ive tried and tried and tried, but i have not found any way to beat the bosses on there.. if i spend time upgrading a tower to be able to take out the fast bosses on #6, i leak on the regular viruses because i havent mazed enough. if i maze enough to kill the viruses, i dont have enough cache to upgrade to kill bosses. i managed to beat the level without killing a single boss.

Race Cube: I did find a small bug here - Wave 3 spawns fast viruses as if they were bosses (one per second), and they have the health of a boss, but only give the cache bonus of a normal virus. i did encounter this on another level, but cant remember what it was.

Totalitator
07-12-2011, 07:35 PM
During the tutorial in 1920x1200 resolution the white arrows that are supposed to be pointing to various parts of the heads up display are way over on the left and right in empty space whereas the actual headsup display indicators are more in the center of the screen.

Also there is no music whatsoever during levels during play but maybe that's supposed to be that way.

WhileTrueFork
07-29-2011, 06:33 AM
OK- I changed the email address associated with my Steam account and for some reason I wasn't getting ticklers when this thread was updated. At any rate- some follow-ups (in no particular order):

Music. This should play and I can't reproduce it not playing. If you email forkbomb@whiletruefork.com we can try and sort it out- I would guess this is a driver issue except that it seems to work in the game lobby? Interesting.

Tutorial arrows- I think this one has already been fixed. If not- again, email us at forkbomb@whiletruefork.coma and we'll sort it out.

Mac fullscreen: Nice to see another mac user on board! We're using the Unity engine which means we play the fullscreen they want to play. Based on your S thing, it sounds like Unity and Growl may be fighting for screen focus- I haven't seen that happen but I get growl notices *very* infrequently. For now the best suggestion may be to run it in the highest resolution but not in full screen. What I will try to do for the next patch is include the Mac standby option-enter as a hotkey to switch from fullscreen to windowed mode.

Race cube- not a bug, just too difficult. I toned them down.

Fun on a cube- Sometimes you need to let the bosses through. You can't beat every level with zero losses- that's why the scores are percentiles of "estimated" points.