PDA

View Full Version : No game for UK customers?

Lee79
02-10-2011, 09:46 AM
why was the store page for this game Closed for UK customers? I have had this on my wishlist since december and wanted to preorder it. Does anyone know why?

An error was encountered while processing your request:

This item is currently unavailable in your region:(:(

xruiner89
02-10-2011, 10:10 AM
Same for me and many other people in the UK by the sound of it.

Lee79
02-10-2011, 10:18 AM
yeah sucks would be nice if someone from the dev team or Steam explained whats going on.

Matthew94
02-10-2011, 02:04 PM
i would like an answer to this as well.

MADDOGGE
02-10-2011, 02:22 PM
What! No love for the Mother country!:eek: Thats un-American.:mad: We love Mom.:)

How about the EU? Is it showing available there? Maybe the promotion is US/NA only.

freedoms_stain
02-10-2011, 02:27 PM
What! No love for the Mother country!:eek: Thats un-American.:mad: We love Mom.:)

How about the EU? Is it showing available there? Maybe the promotion is US/NA only.It's not just the promotion, Homefront has no store page on the UK store at all.

Searching gives you a result of 6 videos, and if you try to click on any you get an error message "This item is currently unavailable in your region", same if someone outside of the UK gives you a link to their Homefront store page.

PhamousVegas
02-10-2011, 02:40 PM
Can you guys see Metro 2033 in the Steam Store?
Quite odd, I didn't recall seeing any censoring of Homefront in UK.
And I am pretty sure you guys were able to preorder it before...

If you can't see Metro 2033, maybe that has something to do with it.

smellyfir
02-10-2011, 02:52 PM
Same problem here, UK.

freedoms_stain
02-10-2011, 02:54 PM
Can you guys see Metro 2033 in the Steam Store?
Quite odd, I didn't recall seeing any censoring of Homefront in UK.
And I am pretty sure you guys were able to preorder it before...

If you can't see Metro 2033, maybe that has something to do with it.Yeah, Metro 2033 is there.

And D2D have the same deal available to UK customers, so it's really odd that Steam don't have it.

The only thing I can think of is that whoever is publishing in the UK is having an issue to Steam for some reason or another.

MADDOGGE
02-10-2011, 02:57 PM
Need someone from Australia and SA to see if it's in their store. Of course some communication from on high would be best but Valve isn't known for its communication with customers too well. Always a day late and a dollar short if at all.

jfred-silva
02-10-2011, 02:59 PM
I'm portuguese, no problem here.
Maybe is just for UK

kmrking
02-10-2011, 05:12 PM
if ur in the UK, you can preorder from amazon or GAME for 25 quid. gets you the limited edition in a nice steelbook.

PhamousVegas
02-10-2011, 05:36 PM
if ur in the UK, you can preorder from amazon or GAME for 25 quid. gets you the limited edition in a nice steelbook.

Might as well do that then, since it's a Steamworks game.

InspectorTiger
02-10-2011, 05:43 PM
Just be thankful it ain't banned. Like in South Korea.

gwiz42
02-15-2011, 03:55 AM
Sadly it's been off Steam for 3 weeks now, I've tried Twitter, Homefront forums and even PMing Kaos Chefs, but no-one wants to even acknowledge it's a problem.

For me, I only buy Steam games, and I have to say after the great Bash and Slash podcast, I was all set to pre-order, but it's not possible!!

Sneaky Bear
02-16-2011, 08:16 AM
Still not on Steam. Wtf is going on?

PhamousVegas
02-16-2011, 11:01 AM
Guys, if you see it in local stores/online just preorder it there...
Sure you won't get the STEAM preorder bonuses, but at least you will be able to play.

Or you could wait until a bit closer to release to see if it comes back to the Steam Store.

gwiz42
02-17-2011, 12:57 AM
its just odd that no-one wants to talk about it officially (I've even raised a steam support ticket) and that everything, even the videos links if you use Steam search just says
"not available in your region" once you click them.

PhamousVegas
02-17-2011, 01:00 AM
Yeah, it is quite odd.
If anyone sees any official word on this, or gets any information from support, please post it here.
I'm not affected by this myself as I live in the US, but I do find this quite strange.

BlackoutUK
02-17-2011, 08:37 AM
I thought it was just me. I was there before. strange.

Ravenger
02-17-2011, 09:57 AM
It's deliberate. THQ have some sort of deal with UK retailers to make their PC games retail exclusive for a while.

It's ironic, because it's the high street retailers that have done their best to kill off PC gaming because they can't sell second hand PC games due to DRM, then they do deals to make Steamworks games retail exclusive!

gwiz42
02-17-2011, 09:27 PM
It looke that way

Official statement from Steam via support ticket
"A staff member has replied to your question:

Hello Gareth, Thank you for contacting Steam Support. The information on the Steam Storefront is the only available information at this time. Please refer to the Steam News section for the latest news and updates on upcoming Steam titles and content. Steam News http://store.steampowered.com/news/ Thank you for your interest. "

Youch..... so it's on purpose!!

BlackoutUK
02-18-2011, 03:57 AM
well, im not going to buy it now. screw them greedy .....

gwiz42
02-18-2011, 06:01 AM
You don't know who is greedy though... steam may be demanding too high a percentage, or Kaos might have made an exclusive deal to not sell on steam for first week

or something completely different

But if it's on purpose, they should have done the proper job and removed all links.

gwiz42
02-23-2011, 04:23 AM
Update - Official Responses

From the homefront site: http://community.homefront-game.com/forums/topic/1384?page=2

From Steam Support
"Pendragon wrote:

Hello Stephen, Thank you for contacting Steam Support. Homefront is not available in the UK due to the publisher setting territorial restrictions on the game. If you have any further questions, please let us know - we will be happy to assist you. "

From Kaos Chefs
"Confirmed: All legitimate copies (physical/digital) of Homefront purchased for PC will function within the Steamworks/Valve environment. "

So they know it's not available on steam in the UK, which is very very odd for a "steam works" title!!

xboxer
02-23-2011, 04:36 AM
Update - Official Responses

From the homefront site: http://community.homefront-game.com/forums/topic/1384?page=2

From Steam Support
"Pendragon wrote:

Hello Stephen, Thank you for contacting Steam Support. Homefront is not available in the UK due to the publisher setting territorial restrictions on the game. If you have any further questions, please let us know - we will be happy to assist you. "

From Kaos Chefs
"Confirmed: All legitimate copies (physical/digital) of Homefront purchased for PC will function within the Steamworks/Valve environment. "

So they know it's not available on steam in the UK, which is very very odd for a "steam works" title!!

That is so stupid of them..... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Lee79
02-23-2011, 04:52 AM
well screw them Im not buying it now pre-orderd Portal 2 instead.

gwiz42
02-23-2011, 06:54 AM
It is scary... seems real stupid to have a steam works game that you can't buy on Steam!!

Especially as D2D etc sells it.

Maybe Steam charged too much for UK, or maybe the other companies paid to have "exclusive digital distribution"

What ever the reason, it's sad because I would have already paid up in full if I could have bought it in the UK, now I'm not sure I will even get it.

With games like Section 8: prejudice out for £8 at the same time, my dislike of non-steam games means I might not even own it.

Hell I haven't even pre-ordered BF3 because it's only available from the EA store at the moment ... and I'm a total BF fanboy.

I only want one digital distribution program running on my system, that's steam. I've gotten used to not thinking about patching, installs and playing on multiple machines I don't think I could go back (even downloading 2142 from EA was painful)

Please Kaos, reconsider Steam for UK

isac_98
02-23-2011, 11:53 AM
I WANT THIS GAME!

kmrking
02-27-2011, 11:18 AM
i preordered from amazon. this game better work when it arrives

gwiz42
02-28-2011, 01:05 AM
It will definitely work with Steam in the UK

It's just a real real shame that, in the UK, if you want to buy Homefront digitally, you need 2 systems installed.

ie. Windows market place to buy, download and authenticate the purchase; Then Steam to play the game.

Why oh why can't we just buy it on Steam.

Chizu
02-28-2011, 09:04 PM
Its utterly ridiculous, that a steamworks game that is available at retail in the Uk, is not available on STEAM.
It makes no sense at all.
Everyone who buys it is only going to end up tying it into their steam account anyway.

Also, I guess this means the TF2 item is impossible to get in the uk.
So thanks for that guys :v
(I don't really care, but its still pretty mindless)

zarathustra2k1
02-28-2011, 09:09 PM
No love for UK Steamers that wanna pre-order Homefront? And no TF2 hat?

Stupid - just stupid!

Ace42
02-28-2011, 10:37 PM
No love for UK Steamers that wanna pre-order Homefront? And no TF2 hat?

Stupid - just stupid!

Ditto, I'm freaking outraged. I was gonna drop a load of money money on this, and now I'm wondering why I should even bother paying full up-front costs for it when I'm denied the convenience of a pre-order, a sweet hat, potentially a free copy of Metro - JUST BECAUSE I LIVE IN THE UK?!?

Eat my contempt, filthy greedy gits, we already tend to pay more than yanks for these digitally distributed games!

EDIT: If I proxy my IP to a US address and maybe change my download location status or other settings, could I theoretically get the US pre-release? Paypal will be happy to perform the transaction in dollary-doos, so no problems there; what if I got a US person to gift me the pre-order, is that possible, and would *I* get the hat?

gwiz42
03-01-2011, 12:45 AM
You need to be careful about ordering games from other areas.

It's technically possible, but against the T&C of steam, which means they can close your account if they catch you doing it.

Of course chances are they won't bother, but personally I wouldn't want to risk loosing steam.

I wonder who is at fault though.... I was wondering if the Microsoft sponsorship had a hand in it.. it is their style

SlimeCounty
03-01-2011, 12:47 AM
I'm in the US and I gifted a kid in Germany a game that he couldn't see in the store, I'm assuming for the same reason... couldn't you guys find a trusted seller or middleman from the sourceop forums who's in the US to gift you the game for paypal?

vac banned
03-01-2011, 01:38 AM
if you paypal me the money, i can gift you the game.. no big deal
just like 4 pack for borderlands and l4d2.
but I live in Germany, the game is more expensive here, you guys should get ur friends from US to gift you the game

gizard_alive
03-01-2011, 03:35 AM
Far too much politics.

I was really looking forward to this game but seeing as Steam UK is being punished, despite the game needing Steam to play, I'm going to be boycotting this game.

Hands up who's with me.

ProtectMyBalls
03-01-2011, 04:01 AM
yeah sucks would be nice if someone from the dev team or Steam explained whats going on.

It's because steam and valve no longer give a ♥♥♥♥ about their customers.

gwiz42
03-01-2011, 05:43 AM

I imagine there is more to it than that.

My three guesses would be
1) Steam want too big a cut from the game (unlikely but possible)
2) Kaos/publisher what Steam to have a smaller cut in UK (unlikely but possible)
3) Kaos have done a deal that means it's not available on Steam in the UK (this is my bet).

I'm guessing it's a "test the water", they would loose too many sales doing this in America, but the UK would make a "great test subject".

I can easily imagine Microsoft making a No sale on Steam in UK as part of their deal to see if they can get away with it.

That way, the UK has to buy from a store, D2D or GFWMP

What ever the reason it sucks, please reconsider Kaos

vac banned
03-01-2011, 06:14 AM
maybe some content issues in UK

CalmWind23
03-01-2011, 06:40 AM
I wonder if Britons can buy it from Gamersgate : http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-HF/homefront

gwiz42
03-01-2011, 07:48 AM
Ok, it just got spookier

You cant get it on Gamersgate, it comes up unavailable.

D2D shows it as available in £, AND lets you add it to a shopping cart, but the second you try to purchase it tells you it isn't available.

Looks like at present Homefront isn't available digitally in the UK!!

Cubeydoom
03-01-2011, 08:42 AM
I'm very angry with UK at now. :/

Leoholbel
03-01-2011, 09:09 AM
EDIT: If I proxy my IP to a US address and maybe change my download location status or other settings, could I theoretically get the US pre-release? Paypal will be happy to perform the transaction in dollary-doos, so no problems there; what if I got a US person to gift me the pre-order, is that possible, and would *I* get the hat?

AFAIK:

Do NOT proxy. I've heard rumors that valve disabled accounts that did this to pay lower prices. You may get away, but beware of the risk.

Changing download location will have no effect on the store.

Paypal also knows where you live, so I don't think it will work. But again, if you proxy you might fool paypal just as you fool steam, but valve may find out... or not?:confused:

Having a friend in the US gift it to you would be the best option, provided that you have someone you trust there, so you don't risk getting scammed. And you can surely send him the money with paypal.

Glufamichel_77
03-01-2011, 09:55 AM
it's even available for me IN GERMANY. (!!!)

Its a real shame its not available in the UK... no reason for this.

nintyuk
03-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Well as long as you get a legit code for the game it will work off steam no problem regardless of weather the game has a store page or not.
I have a copy of batman arkam asylum that came with my graphics card.

It was only a card with a CD key/ Claim code that you typed in on-line sitting in the GFX card box but after typing it in to steam it unlocked the game and allowed me to download it even though the game wasn't available in the UK at that time for steam.

I would get the same message as the homefont trailer when trying to look at the store page for a game I already owned.

gmodperson
03-01-2011, 03:17 PM
http://store.steampowered.com/app/55100/?cc=us Im in UK and cant access it unless i use that link (no proxies are anything needed, its jsut a redirect from http://www.steamprices.com/us/upcoming). Haven't tried buying it yet tho.

gwiz42
03-02-2011, 12:59 AM
http://store.steampowered.com/app/55100/?cc=us Im in UK and cant access it unless i use that link (no proxies are anything needed, its jsut a redirect from http://www.steamprices.com/us/upcoming). Haven't tried buying it yet tho.

You can't. It does seem to be available from a store in the UK, for pre-order, but not digitally (though D2D only tells you when you try to buy, but lets it go in your basket!!)

teroteki
03-02-2011, 01:16 AM
Why do publishers do this ♥♥♥♥. So infuriating and makes NO sense.

So.. urm, isn't the TF2 promo item available to Steam UK users?!

gwiz42
03-02-2011, 01:43 AM
Why do publishers do this ♥♥♥♥. So infuriating and makes NO sense.

So.. urm, isn't the TF2 promo item available to Steam UK users?!

The game isn't available digitally in the UK at all, if you go to a previous homefront link you just get "not available in your region" message.

You can pre-order from an online shop, but no digital downloads.

This also means no TF2 hat.

Hope it gets sorted in the next 2 weeks before release...

teroteki
03-02-2011, 01:51 AM
You can pre-order from an online shop, but no digital downloads.

This also means no TF2 hat.

Hope it gets sorted in the next 2 weeks before release...

Argh! So dumb!
I already own Metro 2033 (which they forced me to buy retail -_-) and was going to gift it to my friend.

So if I get an EU friend to gift me Homefront, will they too have to own Metro 2033 in order to pass the gift on?
I'm assuming if they don't already own Metro 2033, then the game will stay locked into their account? :\
Will the TF2 item also be locked to their account?

Bah what a mess.

ChrisAsmadi
03-02-2011, 06:09 AM
This isn't on Kaos - it's on THQ.

They pulled the same dumb thing on Metro 2033 and Darksiders.

-Zenamez-
03-02-2011, 01:38 PM
Just be thankful it ain't banned. Like in South Korea.

I wonder why....:cool: (Sarcasm)

ProtectMyBalls
03-02-2011, 04:23 PM
My first ticket response.

Message by Support Tech Derrick on Wed, 2nd Mar 2011 8:55 am
Hello,

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

Homefront is currently not available for purchase in the UK via Steam.

You can purchase it from a local retailer and be able to register it when the game is released.

If you have any further questions, please let us know - we will be happy to assist you.

So steam dont want my money at all, they want me to go to amazon.

Message by Support Tech Derrick on Wed, 2nd Mar 2011 3:12 pm
Hello

There is a current discrepancy in the pricing for the UK version which is why it is currently not available.

You will need to contact THQ regarding more questions as they set all prices for their titles:

Title: Contacting THQ Support
Link: http://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6181-SFJZ-7353

If you have any further questions, please let us know - we will be happy to assist you.

So i have to contact THQ to talk to them about pricing... oh goody, so i am doing Steam's job now.

I can't remember the TF2 homefront Hat add, but how long was the window of preorder to be eligible for it?

I know its sad to buy a game for a stinking 800 poly hat that doesnt do anything, but i actually wanted to play homefront, and getting a added bonus for a game i already play is just cool.

teroteki
03-03-2011, 04:12 AM
just emailed THQ support via their webfrom:

DESCRIPTION OF THE PROBLEM:
Unable to buy Homefront on Steam UK.
- I want to Pre-Order it.
- I want the free Metro 2033 game
- I want the free TF2 Promo item

How am I able to get Metro2033 and the pre-order promo item?

their response was:

thq_support@absolutequality.co.uk
Date 3 March 2011

If the game is not available to pre-order on Steam for the UK then I am afraid the only pre-order you can make will be one with a local or online retailer - Game, Amazon, Play, etc.

If you need further assistance, you can contact our technical support staff via telephone on 0870 608 0047, or reply to this e-mail . Also be sure to include all previous replies when/if responding to this message.

Best Regards,
Alan M. at THQ Technical Support

Eh.. you mean I have to buy it from a local or online retailer? No ♥♥♥♥ genius.

Still no clearer how to get the Metro 2033 gift and promo items if you live in the UK

ic1male
03-04-2011, 02:29 AM
Didn't this happen with previous THQ games in the UK? They have some kind of exclusivity deal with UK retailers which prevents the game from being sold digitally until a few months after release.

RevolutionMono
03-04-2011, 03:02 AM
honestly guys, you're best bet is finding someone trustworthy from a different country to pre-order it for you. There were plenty of people doing it during the holiday sales, some with amazing reputation who were 100% trustworthy. If you can't simmer down to trust people, then you're kinda stuck with waiting till after the pre-order or pre-ordering from a different retailer.

Anyways, best of luck to you guys, I hope you can get it, because it does look like a great game.

teroteki
03-04-2011, 04:53 AM
If you can't simmer down to trust people

That's not really the issue.
I've got no problem getting someone to purchase it on my behalf -
I'm just trying to get confirmation of what pre-requisites the buyer/giftee will need in order to pass on the extra copy of Metro 2033 and TF2 item.

RevolutionMono
03-04-2011, 05:02 AM
Getting the game gifted is the exact same as purchasing it on your own. You will receive all the extras. Both games and the TF2 items. I imagine we need someone to verify it with Homefront first, but I'm pretty sure you'd get the items.

Also, make sure that you do it through pm if you find someone on the forums. (trouble might ensue otherwise)

jamieb1
03-04-2011, 05:36 AM
Yes just to confirm for you guys a freind in the states bought this for me through steam and im in the UK.

I have the game and metro and suspect all the extras too. Hope this helps.

psykeo0
03-05-2011, 10:15 AM
Yes just to confirm for you guys a freind in the states bought this for me through steam and im in the UK.

I have the game and metro and suspect all the extras too. Hope this helps.

can anyone else confirm this before i ask my friend to do the same?

teh_steve
03-05-2011, 12:45 PM
Game looks like a bit of an HL2 clone, but given that pre-order (in states at least) leads to a copy of Metro 2033 and a TF2 hat, I was tempted. Looks a pretty decent game, and the bonuses just sweeten the deal.
So what? Is it not being released in the UK? Not in the UK on Steam? Game is showing it as being buyable, or at least preorderable, so why isn't steam also selling it, especially as it's steamworks?

Seems a bit derp, obviously beurocratic bull♥♥♥♥ and business deals. Wont get this game at all if they're going to offer pre-orders that other people can get, but us UK lot can't. Purely on principle.

gwiz42
03-06-2011, 06:22 AM
It is being released in the UK, as a non-digital product (so you can get a boxed copy in AMazon, Game etc)

BUT you can't get it on Steam, or D2D etc. This is a madness, when it's a steam works game!!

It looks like THQ (the publisher) has a deal with stores, not to release digitally initially in the UK which again is very dumb when you need steam to play it.

It looks like gifting from the uk is possible, but the whole thing leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

bbSte
03-06-2011, 05:01 PM
It is being released in the UK, as a non-digital product (so you can get a boxed copy in AMazon, Game etc)

Thats not the point, we can get all games from amazon, game etc.. but we choose to sign up and create account here with steam. For a few reasons, 1 reason I do it, is because shops like Game for the pass 10 years have made PC gamers unwelcome in their shops. With the 1 shelf unwanted 3 for a £10 games in a dark place at the back, where you have to walk pass 100's of PS3 and XBOX games.

This is all about money, and shops like Game seeing where their business is going. ONLINE. So they are now making deals with publishers like THQ to try and get a foot back on the ladder, and THQ are happy to take the biggest offer on the table.

What makes this different to any other game isn't that its retail only (for now) but because of the bonuses of pre-ordering it on steam. The free TF2 hat and the free Metro 2033 game. Please valve at least make this fair for everyone. Or at least come out and say if Homefront is released at some point in time on steam that WE in the UK will have a chance to get these items.

If not I say screw the game and for people not to buy it in the UK, it will serve them right for treating paying customers like this because we CHOOSE to buy games ONLINE.

gwiz42
03-06-2011, 10:24 PM
I'm with you bbSte

What's worse is that you HAVE to use Steam to play it!! The pre-order stuff really sucks too though.

Scarlet_Pimp
03-07-2011, 02:49 AM
Was trying to preorder this myself but couldnt see it on the uk store so came here.
I only wanted the pre order for the free Metro, obviuosly not gonna get it now. Like others I prefer to get games on steam.
Same reason I dont own Darksiders as it is not on Steam for UK gamers.

senseless
03-07-2011, 05:08 PM
You can use a VPN and a US steam account w/ a US paypal acct (or us credit card) to order. I travel outside the US frequently and order games this way.

It's also not a very big deal to get someone to gift it to you. Just find a US/CA/etc citizen trust worthy in your clans, forums, communities, etc.

Cr4zyB4st4rd
03-08-2011, 07:57 AM
It's pretty bull♥♥♥♥ tbh.

They'll have fun with the PC piracy in the UK :/

If I was to buy this as a disc I wouldn't get half the freebies every other steam user around the world gets. It's idiotic.

Publishers/Developers are dumb.

gwiz42
03-08-2011, 08:08 AM
I think it's purely THQ.. It looks like they have a deal with GAME etc to not distribute games digitally in the UK.

Which is bad enough at the best of times, but for a game that REQUIRES steam to play...and not be ably to buy it through steam is beyond mental

xboxer
03-08-2011, 08:21 AM
I think it's purely THQ.. It looks like they have a deal with GAME etc to not distribute games digitally in the UK.

Which is bad enough at the best of times, but for a game that REQUIRES steam to play...and not be ably to buy it through steam is beyond mental

This stupid move is just encouraging piracy in the UK.

THQ should just tell GAME to go to hell.

xruiner89
03-08-2011, 09:40 AM
It's most likely just this title, as the new Dawn Of War is purchasable on Steam here in the UK and that is also made by THQ.

BlackoutUK
03-08-2011, 02:01 PM
This stupid move is just encouraging piracy in the UK.

THQ should just tell GAME to go to hell.

Yes it is. Already people i know are talking about piracy and this game. Thats a few lost sales already :rolleyes: I realy want to BUY it, off STEAM. Oh well.

xruiner89
03-08-2011, 02:16 PM
Even on d2d here in the UK when i add homefront to my basket it says the game is restricted by country ip. So it's not just Steam that's been stopped from selling it digitally here.

Dethstar
03-10-2011, 05:13 AM
I am English and live between the UK and Macedonia. My account is tied to my UK address but Iive near my Business in Macedonia most of the year. I was able to purchase it no problem when I got here. I wonder if its the MK ip address which means I can purchase it as its detecting I am here.

Look forward to much much more censorship in the UK in future. As we allowed the politcians to bring in tight controls and more power for the copyright lobby we are becoming a captive audience. Now the people pirating will really cost us all as all the major ISPs are reporting these people back to the copyright protection authorities on a quarterly (or possibly even monthly) basis. Should have got rid of that total idiot Gordon Brown and his lackey Peter Mandleson before they got the bill through. Rejected throughout most of Europe and by the house of Lords initially but they got it in the end. I suspect all that time Mandleson spent on Yachts owned by the chairman of one of the 6 largest media companies probably made him very aware of how dangerous these evil pirates are and why we all need to be watched very very closely just in case.

Lets be realistic. Its not about piracy. Its about capturing a market. When people release figures for piracy they even include global figures. In the case of a game released on LIVE for example which only support 26 countries to any degree (on a good day) this massively misrepresents the figures as the highest proportion of piracy is being generated in countries where the population could not buy the game legitimately.

Its about continuing the monopoly of the six major companies and ensuring that in the US and UK at least, the profitability is extremely predictable. Personally, I am sick of these companies giving the impression they are doing pc gamers a favour releasing their product for the PC. 13bn dollars of hardware is sold to the enthusiast pc gaming market a year alone. One particular MMO has 90million subscribers!. Here in the "west" Rift had 1 million in pre orders alone. Most titles from companies which have traditional embraced the PC sell millions of copies and quickly (Bethesda etc). So we should be greatful that us "potential pirates" get to play your crap console port for and if we are lucky and your servers are up today we get to play it now and again? Go f*** yourself pencilneck. I should write a letter to the CEO of EA and Ubisoft dont you think? hehe.

Sorry if I went off topic a bit there. All censorship really winds me up.

xboxer
03-10-2011, 05:17 AM
Yes it is. Already people i know are talking about piracy and this game. Thats a few lost sales already :rolleyes: I realy want to BUY it, off STEAM. Oh well.

That's THQ's problem. They should have told Game to F off.

vac banned
03-10-2011, 10:36 AM
all I want is the tf2 item.... any updates yet?

zarathustra2k1
03-10-2011, 02:15 PM

Did you even read the thread? It's not a VALVe/Steam issue; it's the IP owner, forcing everyone to buy it retail first.

</clue-by-four>

funkydude
03-10-2011, 03:28 PM
THQ recently released retribution, you could buy the limited edition for £25 off Amazon with free delivery or the normal edition for £30 off Steam, you know which version I went for...

The same applies here, even if it was on Steam, it would probably have been more expensive. I like Amazon so if the game is good, I'll pre-order the limited edition from there - again for £25 with free delivery.

There's no way in hell you'll catch me buying a game from a company like Game - anyone who whines about digital distribution, followed by making threats instead of producing competition, is a no-sale for me.

BlackoutUK
03-12-2011, 08:22 AM
Yeah ive made my mind up. Im not going to buy this game. Just because of the way THQ treat digital download customers as second class. Screw THQ

wtfpwnd?
03-12-2011, 12:07 PM
Strange move from THQ. Every FPS gamer has Steam, if it wasn't for the fact that I happened to look at gametrailers on the day it was on the frontpage, I'd have never come across this game.

I personally avoid non-VALVe games when it comes to Steam, I prefer to buy retail (plus it's cheaper), but Steam is an awesome resource for knowing what's coming out, especially to people like me who don't bother browsing review sites/mags.

Publishers are the absolute bane to gaming and can easily destroy a developers reputation, so that's not going to stop me buying what I think looks to be a great game.

zarathustra2k1
03-15-2011, 03:48 PM
Yeah ive made my mind up. Im not going to buy this game. Just because of the way THQ treat digital download customers as second class. Screw THQ

Ditto. Have some rep.

My beer vouchers are going on Portal 2 & Battlefield 3 - safer bets, to be sure! By all accounts, Homefront is a ballsed-up camper-fest. :cool:

THE Nakedgun
03-16-2011, 04:21 PM
no wonder I couldnt find it on the store I was all ready to buy this via steam. Worst decision ever to not allow a Steamworks game to be bought via Steam.

Scott3vil
03-16-2011, 04:45 PM
I am English and live between the UK and Macedonia. My account is tied to my UK address but Iive near my Business in Macedonia most of the year. I was able to purchase it no problem when I got here. I wonder if its the MK ip address which means I can purchase it as its detecting I am here.

Look forward to much much more censorship in the UK in future. As we allowed the politcians to bring in tight controls and more power for the copyright lobby we are becoming a captive audience. Now the people pirating will really cost us all as all the major ISPs are reporting these people back to the copyright protection authorities on a quarterly (or possibly even monthly) basis. Should have got rid of that total idiot Gordon Brown and his lackey Peter Mandleson before they got the bill through. Rejected throughout most of Europe and by the house of Lords initially but they got it in the end. I suspect all that time Mandleson spent on Yachts owned by the chairman of one of the 6 largest media companies probably made him very aware of how dangerous these evil pirates are and why we all need to be watched very very closely just in case.

Lets be realistic. Its not about piracy. Its about capturing a market. When people release figures for piracy they even include global figures. In the case of a game released on LIVE for example which only support 26 countries to any degree (on a good day) this massively misrepresents the figures as the highest proportion of piracy is being generated in countries where the population could not buy the game legitimately.

Its about continuing the monopoly of the six major companies and ensuring that in the US and UK at least, the profitability is extremely predictable. Personally, I am sick of these companies giving the impression they are doing pc gamers a favour releasing their product for the PC. 13bn dollars of hardware is sold to the enthusiast pc gaming market a year alone. One particular MMO has 90million subscribers!. Here in the "west" Rift had 1 million in pre orders alone. Most titles from companies which have traditional embraced the PC sell millions of copies and quickly (Bethesda etc). So we should be greatful that us "potential pirates" get to play your crap console port for and if we are lucky and your servers are up today we get to play it now and again? Go f*** yourself pencilneck. I should write a letter to the CEO of EA and Ubisoft dont you think? hehe.

Sorry if I went off topic a bit there. All censorship really winds me up.

Hands beer.

Im right with your brother. We are the revolution V for victory

Infowarriors on the march

Psycold
03-16-2011, 05:02 PM
AFAIK:

Do NOT proxy. I've heard rumors that valve disabled accounts that did this to pay lower prices. You may get away, but beware of the risk.

Changing download location will have no effect on the store.

Paypal also knows where you live, so I don't think it will work. But again, if you proxy you might fool paypal just as you fool steam, but valve may find out... or not?:confused:

Having a friend in the US gift it to you would be the best option, provided that you have someone you trust there, so you don't risk getting scammed. And you can surely send him the money with paypal.

also the game wouldn't be in metric ;)

BlackoutUK
03-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Still not on steam i see. Oh well as i said im not buying it anyway, Ive played the SP and it sucked.

Tempest_Wales
05-26-2011, 04:43 PM
Bump somewhat. Game still isn't available. What I do find ironic though is the publishers that do this sell out tactic (Like THQ with Homefront and Bethesda with Brink) have saved me from paying top prices for these very average games.

It's almost like they don't want us to buy their product! Three cheers for easily backhanded publishers! *raspberry!*

zarathustra2k1
05-27-2011, 07:58 AM
Bump somewhat. Game still isn't available. What I do find ironic though is the publishers that do this sell out tactic (Like THQ with Homefront and Bethesda with Brink) have saved me from paying top prices for these very average games.

It's almost like they don't want us to buy their product! Three cheers for easily backhanded publishers! *raspberry!*
Rep for you, sir. :D

pbrain69
06-07-2011, 09:44 AM
i've found it on digital download...on Game!

http://game.gamesplanet.com/buy-download-pc-games/Homefront--1974-38.html

£34.99

it has the following message underneath...

"A Steam account, registration with enclosed serial code and internet connection are required to play"

does not make sense :confused:

"Brink" is there (which has disappeared from Steam) and also FEAR 3 is available for pre-order (which also requires a Steam account!!!)

eiren
06-08-2011, 06:59 PM
i've found it on digital download...on Game!

http://game.gamesplanet.com/buy-download-pc-games/Homefront--1974-38.html

£34.99

it has the following message underneath...

"A Steam account, registration with enclosed serial code and internet connection are required to play"

does not make sense :confused:

"Brink" is there (which has disappeared from Steam) and also FEAR 3 is available for pre-order (which also requires a Steam account!!!)

Nail on the head there.

Game have some sort of deal which stop Steam from selling the THQ games on here... even the Steamworks ones.

Warhammer Space Marine is another THQ title that is not available for the UK to order, as well as Red Faction Armageddon.

It is ridiculous.

Fruitynuts
06-09-2011, 03:04 PM
Bought mine off D2D for £22,

Retail for PC games is a dead horse.

Its a shame games cost so much to develop nowdays, or we would see more DEV houses releasing stuff direct to steam without a publisher taking another cut.

pbrain69
06-10-2011, 12:15 AM
so, these games which appeared on Steam...then disappeared, will they be back on Steam sometime in the future?
Is this 'deal' so that the game sells at the shop for X months, when it no longer sells, it's then allowed back on Steam?
(by then it gets shoved in the 2 for £25 unlit shelf at the back of the shop!)

Tempest_Wales
06-20-2011, 03:35 PM
so, these games which appeared on Steam...then disappeared, will they be back on Steam sometime in the future?
Is this 'deal' so that the game sells at the shop for X months, when it no longer sells, it's then allowed back on Steam?
(by then it gets shoved in the 2 for £25 unlit shelf at the back of the shop!)

Pretty much the whole situation!

I have no sympathy for brick shops, especially GAME and HMV, the quicker these shops die, the better off PC gaming in the UK will be.

I remember that I bought the individual friends season DVDs for £12 each in Asda, HMV wanted £46 for each one.

Lotharemas
06-23-2011, 10:43 AM
So Homefront just went and got advertised to me here in the UK on Steam as 50% off, i can now visit the Homefront page, and i STILL cant buy it, gives an error on purchase ;/

sean_blaik
06-23-2011, 10:50 AM
So Homefront just went and got advertised to me here in the UK on Steam as 50% off, i can now visit the Homefront page, and i STILL cant buy it, gives an error on purchase ;/

Same here kind of annoying.

bbSte
06-23-2011, 06:19 PM
LOL. UK customers can NOW buy it on steam, well THQ you know where to stick it. I wanted to buy this game the first second it came out but only on steam. You showed no love for us UK customers then so I will pass on buying it at 50% off. Actually I wouldn't buy it if it was 99% off.

But to be honest I would like to thank you, after reading the reviews and my overseas friends telling me how bad it is, You’ve saved me some money which I will use to buy mainly indie games. Cheers!

Augusta
06-23-2011, 10:33 PM
Same here kind of annoying.

There was an initial error with purchasing in the UK, which is now fixed. Apologies for the inconvenience.

sean_blaik
06-23-2011, 10:51 PM
There was an initial error with purchasing in the UK, which is now fixed. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Thanks I was just able to buy it.

Thanks again.

Tempest_Wales
06-24-2011, 02:58 PM

Bull♥♥♥♥! An initial error? and initial error gets fixed after 2 hours, 12 hours, 1 day maybe 2 but not FOUR MONTHS. In the slightly modified words of John McEnroe, "You cannot be fracking serious!".

Just have the balls to say what really happened. I don't think you do, and neither does anyone else for Brink and the other games whose publishers done deals with the high street devils.

Lmb440
06-25-2011, 06:47 AM
Bull♥♥♥♥! An initial error? and initial error gets fixed after 2 hours, 12 hours, 1 day maybe 2 but not FOUR MONTHS. In the slightly modified words of John McEnroe, "You cannot be fracking serious!".

Just have the balls to say what really happened. I don't think you do, and neither does anyone else for Brink and the other games whose publishers done deals with the high street devils.
Agree,well you seem to have one with Brink as well better get on it quick time then.