PDA

View Full Version : Duke Nukem Forever Hands On.

GirlPower23
02-10-2011, 11:33 PM
http://www.gamesradar.com/pc/duke-nukem-forever/preview/duke-nukem-forever-the-first-two-hours/a-2011020920400997027/g-20060612161922470018

Holy god... He is back and it's amazing. It looks like it was worth the 13 year wait. :P It looks like it's going to bring back the Non-Linear feel to games. Where you need to back track for Puzzle items and keycards like it was back in the day. Going back to how old school FPS use to be.. gets me all excited inside.

http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/duke-nukem-forever/news/duke-nukem-forever-more-popular-with-female-gamers-than-most-triple-a-titles/a-2011021011262717079/g-20100903112053378011

Also another interesting article. It's good to see my sisters in gaming are just as excited as me. :D

Edit: Fixed Link. It now starts on page 1.

Dagspöket
02-10-2011, 11:57 PM
I'm genuinely hyped for this game; something I thought I would never be, a year back.

Though I really dislike the cover. I know it's a clichéd opinion, but it's just so... so.. :o

Draek
02-11-2011, 12:13 AM
It looks like it's going to bring back the Non-Linear feel to games. Where you need to back track for Puzzle items and keycards like it was back in the day.

That's not non-linear, that's called "fake longevity", and it all but dissapeared for a good reason.

Still, it doesn't look too bad. Gameplay looks promising, particularly in terms of difficulty (sorry article writer, but I *did* beat Duke3D's bosses by standing up to them face to face), and while storytelling moments in a Duke game are weird, as long as it's got lesbian twins making out while dressed as schoolgirls I'm all for it.

Larry1212
02-11-2011, 12:20 AM
Sounds like the reviewer was swayed by a bit of green.

GirlPower23
02-11-2011, 12:21 AM
That's not non-linear, that's called "fake longevity", and it all but dissapeared for a good reason.

Linearity is going from Point A->B in a straight line basically. Where is in Duke, you get dumped into in area, you search Point A, go to B, then C, then back to B, then to D, then back to A.. there is no linearity there. It wen't away because it's a proven concept the average gamer gets to confused over such a format so the games get dumbed down. Having to search an entire area for clues and items was just to much for gamers, while it was overused in the past.. I think it's time we bring it back. Following a corridor and having my hand held isn't my thing.

chaplain_wu
02-11-2011, 12:26 AM
i was hoping for some jugs. disappointing.

GirlPower23
02-11-2011, 12:29 AM
i was hoping for some jugs. disappointing.

Gamesradar can't really post nudity, however from their censored screenshots there will be plenty of "Boobs" for people like you. ;)

Larry1212
02-11-2011, 12:34 AM
Linearity is going from Point A->B in a straight line basically. Where is in Duke, you get dumped into in area, you search Point A, go to B, then C, then back to B, then to D, then back to A.. there is no linearity there. It wen't away because it's a proven concept the average gamer gets to confused over such a format so the games get dumbed down. Having to search an entire area for clues and items was just to much for gamers, while it was overused in the past.. I think it's time we bring it back. Following a corridor and having my hand held isn't my thing.

Na, back in the day it was seriously annoying to go from (Start Level)A->D(End Level) to B, then to D and then to C, then to D again. It was over used and a lot of gamers hated it because it was a waste of time. In games such as The Legend of Zelda, in more of an open world where things changed, it was done well and wasn't repetitive but in FPS games where corridors are a norm and simple locked doors were all that were in the way of you and X, Y or Z is where it fell flat on it's face and was simply repetitive gameplay.

From what I remember Dead Space, while a good game, was annoying as it used such techniques that required you to go back through levels you'd already completed to open a door you couldn't open previously to get an item or log or turn on a switch that would give you a code, access to a door or turn on power so you could finally get past that very last bit at the very end. It was repetitive. Going back for easter eggs and such is a completely different matter, however.

Zero_Vector
02-11-2011, 12:45 AM
Both the Eurogamer and IGN hands-on said it was quite a bad game. It's been messed around with for 13 years and now is being rushed out the door. As much as I would like to play an old-school FPS game done right, I don't hold out much hope for this.

Draek
02-11-2011, 12:52 AM

No, linearity is going from Event A -> B -> C whether you want it or not, if you *must* find a keycard to open *this* door to get inside and finish the level then it's linear, regardless of where they put the keycard, the door or the level-ending switch, and the practice of putting them on separate ends of the map just to make you go back for it through a level you already saw and whose enemies you already killed was a cheap way of making games seem bigger than they were.

An example of a pure non-linear game is Mount & Blade, from the moment you're thrown into the world there's absolutely nothing you *must* do, nowhere you *must* go, and nobody you *must* kill. The closest thing I've seen in FPSs is the STALKER series, where there's a core set of missions that must be taken in order but most of the game allows you to proceed at your own pace, in whatever order you may desire or even no order at all.

psihomir2
02-11-2011, 12:55 AM
Heh, just yesterday I read another hands-on (http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/02/hand-on-duke-nukem-forever.ars), according to which it's pretty mediocre... and as much as a Duke fan I am, after all this time I really don't expect it to be anything better than "okay."

Excygy
02-11-2011, 12:57 AM

Well in bioshock 2 each level you are dropped somewhere and go where you want to go get the sisters.

You do this like everytime, erach level yo udo the sme, even if it's not point A to point B, it it the same thing all along the game, socan it being called linearity gameplay??? if you dont go to the perfect literal term???

Tosadalis
02-11-2011, 02:05 AM
Heh, just yesterday I read another hands-on (http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/02/hand-on-duke-nukem-forever.ars), according to which it's pretty mediocre... and as much as a Duke fan I am, after all this time I really don't expect it to be anything better than "okay."

I expect it to be terrible, it's a video game neanderthal, an abomination.

I am saying this again, it will only have a big sale because of the title, nothing more.

GirlPower23
02-11-2011, 02:50 AM

I disagree with their review, while GamesRadar wen't out and said yes the combat is a bit chunky these guys unlike Gamesradar Staff didn't mention it was an early build of the game and not final product. Poor writing or just a stab at the game? They mention something about difficulty of bosses? Oh nos! We can't have a hard game.. Duke is a homage to old school FPS games where the game doesn't have a million arrows pointing you in the proper direction or lead you down a hallway then makes you take a left then boss, then go right then boss then go left then boss. Sorry I completely disagree with these peoples review because it sounds like they've never played the original duke nukem, yet they mention something about the older games.

If you were a Duke fan you'd know Duke Nukem has never been a trailblazer, it's never been innovative, thats not what makes Duke good. What makes Duke good is the character and how self absorbed he is, the over done world, the overtop everything.. This is exactly what DNF is turning out to be. Want a story? There are plenty of "Serious" FPS games with an indepth story that is willing to hold your hand.

I find it funny they used "Modern day Shooter" a few times if I recall and yet it's an homage to old school FPS Games. Yes lets add modern day features to a game thats about something completely different.. Duke Nukem won't be everyones cup of tea. Especially the people who have been spoiled by Modern Warfare and its wannabe realistic guns or it hold your hand gameplay. I can live with that though.

A real Duke fan knows exactly what the game will deliver. Bugs, Framerate issues, terrible combat.. sounds like a recently brand new game that was released, that sold what? 1billion dollars in revenue worth? Funny. Lets give Duke a negative score for that but when its PoopOPs that has tons of issues.. it's ok! Because its the saint of FPS games and if a game isn't modeled after it.. it's not "Modern" enough for them. Bulletstorm has had similar people say stupid things like that to.. Oh the guns aren't beefy enough.. why? Because it takes more than one bullet to take down an enemy?

Both the Eurogamer and IGN hands-on said it was quite a bad game. It's been messed around with for 13 years and now is being rushed out the door. As much as I would like to play an old-school FPS game done right, I don't hold out much hope for this.

IGN's Handons was 100% Biased because it wasn't a modern day shooter. Because it didn't have this or that. They wen't so far to complain about no Iron Sights? Put iron sights on a rocket launcher and tell me how that works out for you. There hands on is all about what makes Modern FPS games mediocre this day in age. Thats not to say Duke isn't mediocre, but it's mediocre in a very very good way. As for EuroGamers.. I'll go read there hands on and get back to you. But I swear to god if it mentions anything about ti not incorporating modern day features like Iron Sights I am going to straggle the life out of my drink.

Nevermind, I just read the hands on. Congrats you made me waste a good glass of vodka. Seriously, again, more complaints about difficulty, enemies actually being tricky instead of standing there for you to shoot them. While I agree the cultural references might be dated. Basically EuroGamers and IGNs hands-on can be summed up into a very very short sentence:

"You didn't clone Modern Warfare, you are an utter failure."

The reason I am more partial to GamesRadars review is because they know exactly what it's about. IGN, EuroGamer and if anyone else wants to give me another Hands On about it not being modern can go somewhere else. GamesRadar approached DNF like it being an old school game and they gave a favorable review. G4TV and Several others have given good reviews of it and said that it's what Duke Nukem fans have always wanted.

Omphofo-Bravo
02-11-2011, 03:22 AM
It's hard to make a perfect game, even after 14 years. In Dukes case however, most likely 1/3 of them were effective development time. The rest was probably about swapping engines, lawsuits and ultimately swapping developers. It's a miracle the game is even playable.

People will always have different points of views, though. Personally, I like easter eggs, backtracking and attention to detail so I'll probably like Duke Nukem Forever. If the fun is there, then I won't mind it being a little rough around the edges.

TheNoseKnows
02-11-2011, 03:27 AM
There hands on is all about what makes Modern FPS games mediocre this day in age. Thats not to say Duke isn't mediocre, but it's mediocre in a very very good way.
Um...explain the last sentence?

GirlPower23
02-11-2011, 03:45 AM
Um...explain the last sentence?
Hrmm? Duke Nukem is mediocre in that it was nothing new compared to Doom or Wolfeinstein. That doesn't mean it wasn't fun. As for the previous statement, I find the linearity in games like MW, BC SP, and other games that follow that suit to be mediocre in every aspect. Guns are easy to aim, enemies are beyond predictable, bosses are boring if you want to call them bosses. While games like Duke can go crazy with everything. Enemies can teleport around, some can dodge super fast, others can charge you or others can play very unfair. Bosses are generally larger than life.. and way out there. The only thing that limits games like Duke Nukem, Serious Sam, Bullestorm, Doom.. are the creators imaginations.

No, linearity is going from Event A -> B -> C whether you want it or not, if you *must* find a keycard to open *this* door to get inside and finish the level then it's linear, regardless of where they put the keycard, the door or the level-ending switch, and the practice of putting them on separate ends of the map just to make you go back for it through a level you already saw and whose enemies you already killed was a cheap way of making games seem bigger than they were.

Level Design in the Duke Nukem franchise was non-linear. You didn't go to A->B-C.. as I explained you go all over the place, you backtrack, you can also approach areas from different ways.. thats Non Linear level design. Just because it's not full on Sandbox mode doesn't change that. Certain games take it to a much further extreme than others. Doom/Duke/Wolfenstein have all been equated to Non-Linear Level Design.

tibetanpunk
02-11-2011, 04:04 AM

As long as there are plenty of fun things to do while I explore the environment, it's all good. Rewarded exploration is very welcome and doesn't feel like a chore.

One game that has done this right recently was Mass effect 2. Exploration led to some of the coolest unlisted missions.

Omphofo-Bravo
02-11-2011, 04:12 AM
One game that has done this right recently was Mass effect 2. Exploration led to some of the coolest unlisted missions.
Which ones? The ones where I killed all the mercs or was it the ones where I killed all the mercs?

lol! I kid.

GirlPower23
02-11-2011, 04:15 AM
As long as there are plenty of fun things to do while I explore the environment, it's all good. Rewarded exploration is very welcome and doesn't feel like a chore.

I personally found exploring in games like Duke Nukem rewarding. You sometimes find easter eggs all over the place, find extra bullets, sometimes find weapons you won't normally receive for several more levels. With DNF I can see a whole new world opening for different easter eggs. :P I think Serious Sam Second Encounter had the best easter egg though. Where it was a hidden film studio and was reenacting the final boss fight.. was hilarious. I know DNF is going to have awesome easter eggs if you put the time to EXPLORE, yes explore.. something lost with modern FPS Games.

tibetanpunk
02-11-2011, 04:32 AM
Which ones? The ones where I killed all the mercs or was it the ones where I killed all the mercs?

lol! I kid.

My favourite one was were you stumble across an anomaly on a remote planet, get dropped in on your own and have to retrieve some data from a massive, decaying spacecraft that is hanging off the face of a huge cliff, ready to fall...

It was great fun to play, really well designed and gorgeous to look at. No killing involved. Just a really tense scene based in a awesome environment.

Omphofo-Bravo
02-11-2011, 04:37 AM
My favourite one was were you stumble across an anomaly on a remote planet, get dropped in on your own and have to retrieve some data from a massive, decaying spacecraft that is hanging off the face of a huge cliff, ready to fall...

It was great fun to play, really well designed and gorgeous to look at. No killing involved. Just a really tense scene based in a awesome environment.I haven't gotten to that part yet. Sounds cool. Should break up the pace from all the merc-killing nicely. :p

Forward Area
02-11-2011, 05:30 AM
Looks friggin fun lol cant wait. haters gonna hate. Judging from the review it looks like there will be a LOT of easter eggs and secrets. that was one thing that made the original duke so special!

ps. I find it funny a girl (OP) likes these kind of games, I showed the trailer to my gf and she was all 'you play this because theres boobs!!!' lol

GirlPower23
02-11-2011, 05:49 AM
ps. I find it funny a girl (OP) likes these kind of games, I showed the trailer to my gf and she was all 'you play this because theres boobs!!!' lol

Well if you read the second link you'd see that Gearbox claiming that they have more female fans than most other AAA titles. :P

The core audience for big titles is still a mostly male affair, and it’s still mostly dudes who are most interested in the return of the Duke. But according to Gibson, the unexpectedly high amount interest from female gamers reflects how broad the audience is for Duke Nukem Forever.

“Most triple-A games are expecting somewhere between, say three percent up to maybe eight percent – and we’re far exceeding that on Duke Forever,” said Gibson.

There is far more interesting things in Duke than just boobs and I really should quit all media if I let boobs bother me. The game is going to be a lot of fun and a refresh for the FPS genre, just like Bulletstorm. Sorry about your girlfriend.. I wish her the best! I'm sure if you let her play it she would enjoy it! :P

ledbelly
02-11-2011, 05:53 AM
i'm amazed the game got finished. the amount of games that have been cancelled through the years, how on earth did it stay alive?

Mordwyrhta
02-11-2011, 05:53 AM
www.pcgamer.com < the only website you should trust for reviews and previews.

GirlPower23
02-11-2011, 05:54 AM

PC Gamer didn't have a hands on.. so they are irrelevant to this thread. :P

Mordwyrhta
02-11-2011, 05:56 AM
PC Gamer didn't have a hands on.. so they are irrelevant to this thread. :P

Then there's no relevant hands on yet:P

GirlPower23
02-11-2011, 06:02 AM
Then there's no relevant hands on yet:P

Oh, there will be one very soon. With having access to their Early Access Club and early demo thats come with it.. I plan to give a nice indepth review + Screenshots. <3 Well unless there is an NDA involved then I will cry and give a mediocre review with no screenshots. ;)

Mordwyrhta
02-11-2011, 06:07 AM
Oh, there will be one very soon. With having access to their Early Access Club and early demo thats come with it.. I plan to give a nice indepth review + Screenshots. <3 Well unless there is an NDA involved then I will cry and give a mediocre review with no screenshots. ;)

Just give an in depth review even if there is an NDA and just blank out all the NDA protected info.

It'll be like your average rap song on the radio, full minutes of just the beat as everything else was censored.

velvetmeds
02-11-2011, 06:08 AM
The only website i trust is my mind

Pebr
02-11-2011, 06:08 AM
I'm not really a Duke Nukem fan so i'm not particularly excited about this. It's getting a lot of hype for such a simple-minded old school shooter - I didn't know there was so much to discuss here...

An example of a pure non-linear game is Mount & Blade, from the moment you're thrown into the world there's absolutely nothing you *must* do, nowhere you *must* go, and nobody you *must* kill. The closest thing I've seen in FPSs is the STALKER series, where there's a core set of missions that must be taken in order but most of the game allows you to proceed at your own pace, in whatever order you may desire or even no order at all.

Thank you for saving me the time for writing that - You are completely correct, hence you weren't responded to again.

Another example would be Deus Ex where to get from point A to point E you can choose to go:

A -> B -> E (Corridor)
A -> C -> E (Roof)
A -> D -> E (Ventilation shaft)

bluz74
02-11-2011, 06:09 AM
I wasn't to impressed until I read, "Above: DNF has all the hallmarks of a modern shooter, with detailed set pieces and slick event sequences, but it always manages to feel more like a shooter from the late 90s than anything else". That statement excited me a bit. :o Imagine what the boobs will do! :D

velvetmeds
02-11-2011, 06:13 AM
Imagine what the boobs will do! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwQbPgouUYo

GirlPower23
02-11-2011, 06:23 AM
Thank you for saving me the time for writing that - You are completely correct, hence you weren't responded to again.

I actually responded to him.. and apparently you arent a Duke Nukem fan, so did ever play the originals? However let me correct both of you:

lin·e·ar (ln-r)
adj.
1. Of, relating to, or resembling a line; straight.
a. In, of, describing, described by, or related to a straight line.
b. Having only one dimension.
3. Characterized by, composed of, or emphasizing drawn lines rather than painterly effects.
4. Botany Narrow and elongated with nearly parallel margins:

You guys seem to think you can create what you believe linearity is with opinions. When in reality no game is linear, but some are more linear than others. Modern Warfare and newer games being the biggest example of linearity. Where it's one straight corridor and you never go off path. I would like to point out if I go from A->B->C.. and then have to go back through B-D.. I am no longer going linear. With that said, Duke Nukem has always rewarded exploration.. "IS there a hidden wall here?" "Is there a hidden elevator to take me up?" "Do I have to go back through D to get to G?" This is Non-Linear in its most basic form gentlemen. It's not an opinion, it's not what you decide what and isn't linear. Getting from A->Z without any distractions as in A,B,C,D,E,F.. etc.. is linear.. having to go A,B,C,D,F,E,A,D,H,I is non-linear. Duke, Doom and Wolfenstein all had this concept where you don't always follow that straight pattern. Couple nthat with the fact most Doom,Duke and Wolfenstein levels were Mazes, meaning you go left, or right, or straight, up and possibly down.. and arrive at your destination. THIS IS NON-LINEAR. Half drunk GP drives one home!

wakeless0
02-11-2011, 06:23 AM
FYI to those who open the link - the link is on page 2. There's a page before it you can throw yourself at and enjoy.

GirlPower23
02-11-2011, 06:32 AM
FYI to those who open the link - the link is on page 2. There's a page before it you can throw yourself at and enjoy.

Fixed it, thanks for pointing it out. :)

bluz74
02-11-2011, 06:45 AM
I actually responded to him.. and apparently you arent a Duke Nukem fan, so did ever play the originals? However let me correct both of you:

lin·e·ar (ln-r)
adj.
1. Of, relating to, or resembling a line; straight.
a. In, of, describing, described by, or related to a straight line.
b. Having only one dimension.
3. Characterized by, composed of, or emphasizing drawn lines rather than painterly effects.
4. Botany Narrow and elongated with nearly parallel margins:

You guys seem to think you can create what you believe linearity is with opinions. When in reality no game is linear, but some are more linear than others. Modern Warfare and newer games being the biggest example of linearity. Where it's one straight corridor and you never go off path. I would like to point out if I go from A->B->C.. and then have to go back through B-D.. I am no longer going linear. With that said, Duke Nukem has always rewarded exploration.. "IS there a hidden wall here?" "Is there a hidden elevator to take me up?" "Do I have to go back through D to get to G?" This is Non-Linear in its most basic form gentlemen. It's not an opinion, it's not what you decide what and isn't linear. Getting from A->Z without any distractions as in A,B,C,D,E,F.. etc.. is linear.. having to go A,B,C,D,F,E,A,D,H,I is non-linear. Duke, Doom and Wolfenstein all had this concept where you don't always follow that straight pattern. Couple nthat with the fact most Doom,Duke and Wolfenstein levels were Mazes, meaning you go left, or right, or straight, up and possibly down.. and arrive at your destination. THIS IS NON-LINEAR. Half drunk GP drives one home!

I should introduce you to my mother. You two would be new BFF's.

Hi2u! Tw1TcH
02-11-2011, 06:51 AM
Am I the only one that looks at the screens and sees old character models, squashed FoV, and xbox360 controller glamorization. -_-

This used to be a PC game.

GirlPower23
02-11-2011, 06:54 AM
Am I the only one that looks at the screens and sees old character models, squashed FoV, and xbox360 controller glamorization. -_-

This used to be a PC game.

Still is.. GamesRadar though is a console centric review website. So realistically you are going to get console screenshots. :P

Forward Area
02-11-2011, 06:55 AM
Yeah thats one thing that bothered me in one of the reviews.. saying some frame rate drops at some points and issues aiming because enemies were bouncing around... next thing you see is a dumb xbaaaaawx controller and a console sigh what did they expect? i swear some people can be mentally challenged. theres being clueless and then theres that

Forward Area
02-11-2011, 07:08 AM
Collector's edition (http://img694.imageshack.us/i/dnbos.png/)

Masterclown
02-11-2011, 07:18 AM
Collector's edition (http://img694.imageshack.us/i/dnbos.png/)

Hell yeah!

GirlPower23
02-11-2011, 07:26 AM
haha Balls of Steel? :( Think I may have to pass on this collectors edition.

Forward Area
02-11-2011, 07:29 AM
the bust is kinda cool

TimM
02-11-2011, 07:49 AM
Looks mediocre, but I'll be sure to buy it when cheap. As I like a good braindead shooter game as well.

MrKillerNine
02-11-2011, 08:04 AM
Right In the jewels

Kahrandras
02-11-2011, 08:29 AM
♥♥♥♥ tha haters

i'll still buy this ♥♥♥♥

bluz74
02-11-2011, 08:44 AM
IGN Duke Nukem video preview. (http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/02/11/duke-nukem-forever-video-preview?objectid=3880)

notavirus.exe
02-11-2011, 08:47 AM
I'm not getting excited about this game until I see it on the shelf. No offense to the people who are super excited about it, I know when it DOES come out, it will be great.

Rechar
02-11-2011, 08:52 AM
I am saying this again, it will only have a big sale because of the title, nothing more.

Hey, works for Call of Duty games. :D

MADDOGGE
02-11-2011, 09:37 AM
The only real hate I'm seeing is from kids and casual gamers for which the game will be too hard, long and complex for them to play and not a clone of CoD games. I love exploring and finding things.

Regen health sucks big time as it will make it too easy but hopefully the rest of the game is the real Duke and can make up for this slap in the face.

What I'm seeing from fans like myself is cautious optimism and hope. The proof will be in the pudding though. No game can live up to the hype this one has endured.

BS_1
02-11-2011, 09:40 AM
I don't expect much from this game. However, I will check it out more when it's released; ask any of my friends who own it, watch some gameplay videos, etc. I'll probably get it when it hits the $20 mark.

GirlPower23
02-11-2011, 09:45 AM
The only real hate I'm seeing is from kids and casual gamers for which the game will be too hard, long and complex for them to play and not a clone of CoD games. I love exploring and finding things.

Regen health sucks big time as it will make it too easy but hopefully the rest of the game is the real Duke and can make up for this slap in the face.

What I'm seeing from fans like myself is cautious optimism and hope. The proof will be in the pudding though. No game can live up to the hype this one has endured.

A true fan would of done everything they can to get First Access Club. ;) Anyway, as your first statement.. thats exactly what i Got out of the IGN and EuroGamer hands on preview. IGN is all about games that are dumbed down or start with "Call of Duty." As for EuroGamer I've never really cared about their opinions... just more annoying reviewers who if it's not mainstream it's garbage.

I don't expect much from this game. However, I will check it out more when it's released; ask any of my friends who own it, watch some gameplay videos, etc. I'll probably get it when it hits the $20 mark.

Why don't you expect much from the game?

wakeless0
02-11-2011, 09:56 AM
Fixed it, thanks for pointing it out. :)

No problem.

I'm definitely excited about the game. I personally have a hard time trusting reviews pre-release for anything really. I'll get it regardless what reviews say. This review is however hands on, and I can say from what they are describing that it seems like it will be the typical (awesome) Duke Nukem game.

Hopefully we can get some new catchy Duke phrases.

Excygy
02-11-2011, 10:28 AM

aint that site that had an horrible article bashing PC gamers with bad informations and stupid stereotypes?

megamike360
02-11-2011, 10:30 AM
I'll try it for sure, but TBH it just looks like a modern day Postal 2 with Duke slapped on.

GirlPower23
02-11-2011, 10:32 AM
I'll try it for sure, but TBH it just looks like a modern day Postal 2 with Duke slapped on.

No it's nothing like Postal. Are you serious?

megamike360
02-11-2011, 10:33 AM
No it's nothing like Postal. Are you serious?

I didn't mean the gameplay, I meant the other stuff in the game, you know? I'm sure the gameplay will be, well, old fashion FPS type and whatnot.

crunchyfrog555
02-11-2011, 10:35 AM

Amen, GirlPower!

The obssessive collector in me has always liked this kind of thing, but I really deplore the sometimes relentless trend of dumbing down. Here's to those who haven't forgotten the qualities that some gamers would like to see again.

On another point, the whole dumbing down thing is why I gave up watching TV entirely 9 years ago. A TV is for games, right?

GirlPower23
02-11-2011, 10:44 AM
I didn't mean the gameplay, I meant the other stuff in the game, you know? I'm sure the gameplay will be, well, old fashion FPS type and whatnot.

You mean the obscenities? :P The Duke was first.. do remember that. :D

crunchyfrog555
02-11-2011, 10:51 AM
aint that site that had an horrible article bashing PC gamers with bad informations and stupid stereotypes?

Nope, that's PCWorld. Big, big difference. Absolute chalk and cheese, in fact.

The only two publications I can trust are indeed PC Gamer, and Edge.

They're the only two magazines I've tried blind purchases on their recommendations which have turned out exactly as they've said.

Omphofo-Bravo
02-12-2011, 02:18 AM
Here's the interview with Pitchford himself. This is what it's all about - interactivity. Feces, vibrating ♥♥♥♥♥s and glory holes FTW!

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/return-of-duke-nukem/710452

Dwarfmal
02-12-2011, 02:33 AM
Hahaha, oh this game will cause so much uproar. An interactive glory hole...only Duke, only Duke.

GirlPower23
02-12-2011, 02:43 AM
Here's the interview with Pitchford himself. This is what it's all about - interactivity. Feces, vibrating ♥♥♥♥♥s and glory holes FTW!

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/return-of-duke-nukem/710452

Oh god I love Randy Pitchford, definitely not an uptight businessman when it comes to interviews. As for the game.. Yep.. it just keeps getting better and better. Hopefully FoxNews doesn't get their hands on this!

Dwarfmal
02-12-2011, 07:35 AM
They probably will. And I'm afraid it'll get banned in Australia.

MADDOGGE
02-12-2011, 07:49 AM
The language and other stuff isn't over the top in DN3D. It is there certainly. Thats why it's funny. but it wasn't full of tolet humor. I have a feeling it is way over the top in this game and much more crude instead. I just hope it doesn't turn into one solid F-bomb experience because the constant use of that word is boring and uninspired imo. Still thats minor compared to getting to play a new DN game.:cool:

I'm sure porn and bad language is fine in Australia. It's just violence against virtual people and creatures that your government seeks to protect you from Dwarfmal.;)

Dwarfmal
02-12-2011, 08:18 AM
true true

mothers will probably hate it to hell though

Kibblesman
02-12-2011, 10:43 AM

Oh god, Duke isn't that tasteless.

EDIT: Though the game probably will stir up some controversy.

MADDOGGE
02-12-2011, 11:33 AM
OH Lord can you imagine them doing the DS2 viral thing with this game?:D:D:D

ozku
02-12-2011, 11:39 AM
After seeing these interviews and previews I think it might actually be quite good. I really like how it wont be another generic modern fps but goes back to more classic gameplay with secret areas and non-linearity. If they only let us carry more weapons than eyeballs I would be in heaven.

MADDOGGE
02-12-2011, 01:09 PM
We already have regen health, possibly no manual save of any kind:(. I don't find it impossible that we could get stuck with three weapons.:(

Gonna have to wait and find out.;) At this point in time what will be will be.

AlphaFox
02-12-2011, 01:50 PM
I can see this game failing. Not just becasue of the wait, but I can see a major anti-climax coming up.

joeylawn
02-12-2011, 02:22 PM
I can see this game failing. Not just becasue of the wait, but I can see a major anti-climax coming up.

Define what you mean by "fail". Because it will only really be a fail if Gearbox does not cover the cost of purchasing the game rights from the previous owners by not selling enough copies. I doubt this will be the case.

DARKNIGHT
02-12-2011, 02:26 PM
Hmm while i never got into duke nukem games, i think i should get this one, if only for the sole reason that it isnt as linear as most modern games are. Might even be a good candidate for speedrunning, a thing i love to do.

MADDOGGE
02-12-2011, 03:08 PM
I can see this game failing. Not just becasue of the wait, but I can see a major anti-climax coming up.I have a realistic out look on this game. It's not going to be the DNF I wanted. Too many years have passed and too many changes have happened in the industry. I don't expect it to live up to any hype. No game possibly could. If I just get a game where it is clearly obvious they tried to recreate a DN game I will be happy despite any casual or console inspired warts.

I think most DN3D fans are realistic as well. I fear the casual crowd who may not understand the Duke more.

AlphaFox
02-12-2011, 05:26 PM
I don't expect it to live up to any hype.

Thats one aspect of it. It will just be hyped so much that when you play it, it will be such an anti-climax that the reviews will just say its a flop or a fail. The main chap who showed it off look completely false. To be honest, he put me off a bit of the game as well. Thinking he was cool and young when he obviously was not. Just made the game look hollow.

Saying that, this could be the best selling game for a long time. It will definately sell, there is no doubt about that but its really the gameplay and what naught which 'makes' the game rather than the sales.

Any notice of how long the story is?

crunchyfrog555
02-12-2011, 05:39 PM
Saying that, this could be the best selling game for a long time.

Now wouldn't that be deliciously ironic if it did? :)

MADDOGGE
02-12-2011, 05:46 PM
Any notice of how long the story is?No, not that I have heard. Then again last I checked I wasn't omnipotent.:D

I would think that considering the 13-14 year wait anything less than 50 hrs will be a big disappointment.;)

GirlPower23
02-12-2011, 11:23 PM
I have a realistic out look on this game. It's not going to be the DNF I wanted. Too many years have passed and too many changes have happened in the industry.

I disagree, it will be the Duke people want. The biggest complaint is the Duke Nukem Forever doesn't follower modern day shooter flavour. It doesn't follow those conventions so it's looked down on. Just read the IGN Hands on.. or th Eurogamer.. then read the other ones. You'll see it's a mixed bag of Duke fans seeing that it is like old school Duke with other saying its to old school and wont fit in. As for the hype around it? Who cares about the hype.. if it's Duke Nukem and stays with the Duke feel.. then whats the problem?>

Omphofo-Bravo
02-13-2011, 03:07 AM
From the IGN Video Preview:

"-the era of Call Of Duty and Halo"

"With the exception of regenerating health, Duke Nukem stubbornly resists many advancements of the last decade. From the use of ironsights to line up great shots, to the giant set pieces that dominate shooters like Modern Warfare"

This literally made me want to punch someone in the face. The narrator sounds like a huge D-bag for constantly comparing the game to COD. As if these copy/paste Modern Warfare games are THE defenition of the first person shooter. ♥♥♥♥ COD. I've had enough of this tripe.

Beryl77
02-13-2011, 03:13 AM
Lol the Duke makes fun of the Master Chief
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/02/12/duke-nukem-slams-master-chief.aspx

I wonder what other games they'll make fun of. I guess COD is pretty high up on the list.

Edit: Apparently it's getting released uncensored in Australia. Doesn't Australia have a very strict censorship?
link (http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/02/12/duke-nukem-forever-will-be-uncensored-in-australia.aspx)

mimaz98
02-13-2011, 03:17 AM
This literally made me want to punch someone in the face. The narrator sounds like a huge D-bag for constantly comparing the game to COD. As if these copy/paste Modern Warfare games are THE defenition of the first person shooter. ♥♥♥♥ COD. I've had enough of this tripe.

I wouldn't worry about it.

IGN is a bastion of idiocy.

Reebdoog
02-13-2011, 03:42 AM
They probably will. And I'm afraid it'll get banned in Australia.

Yeh, there is no chance it will make it to Australia. It will be banned in a second.

B33 ENN
02-13-2011, 03:56 AM
Never played any Duke stuff when it was new in the 90's. Heard of it again on the run up to this game.

I like non-linear, open world games best, so this is one I will definitely be interested to look more into. The GameTrailers interview with that bloke seemed very promising. The fact you can interact with the world and explore it is a very exciting prospect.

I hope it does well, so that more games like this will be produced for those gamers that like to think, be tested, and have to actually work at, and face the possibility you just might not be good enough a player to finish it.

mimaz98
02-13-2011, 04:05 AM
I hope it does well, so that more games like this will be produced for those gamers that like to think, be tested, and have to actually work at, and face the possibility you just might not be good enough a player to finish it.

Except, in Duke Nukem, you don't have to think or actually work at anything.

B33 ENN
02-13-2011, 04:08 AM
Except, in Duke Nukem, you don't have to think or actually work at anything.

So it's just like CoD? :(

EDIT: ...because I got the opposite impression from reading this thread and the previews and interview links.

GirlPower23
02-13-2011, 04:47 AM

EDIT: ...because I got the opposite impression from reading this thread and the previews and interview links.

No, it's nothing like CoD. Think the complete opposite. Puzzles, Hordes of enemies, over the top humor, some hard as nails bosses.. and couple that with tons of hidden secrets, easter eggs.. and I hope they bring back difficulty levels like "Damn I'm Good" (Enemies revived). Does that sound like CoD to you? Enemies aren't always a pushover either. As pointed out.. they teleport.. charge at you.. shoot rockets with splash damage and I'm sure there are so many other things they do. The game will be a challenge and no "Bore Bore Bore" (Reference to spoof game recently) :D

Next to me another game writer is stuck on the same boss encounter, shooting at a huge space ship in a turret. He slams his controller down and a member of the team offers to warp him to the next section.

Ars Technica sums it up nicely if you are concerned about difficulty. The original duke did have "Lower" difficulties though. For those weak men and women out there. :P

mimaz98
02-13-2011, 05:07 AM

No, absolutely not.

joeylawn
02-13-2011, 10:48 AM
LOL of one of the DNF pics I saw renames the famous Vegas hotel The Bellagio to a name that rhymes with it, but is a major sex reference....

However, I also read one reference that said that Duke at one part in-game runs around carrying a piece of excrement....I do not look forward to that, however....:eek:

Anyway, I'm getting stoked about DNF. Been playing DN3D user levels for the past 13 years.

GirlPower23
02-13-2011, 11:03 AM
http://www.gamesradar.com/f/grs-weekend-giveaway-duke-nukems-balls/a-2011021118124426032

There you go people! A nice chance to own a piece of the Duke.. His Steel balls! I certainly couldn't pass up the chance. :P

Excygy
02-13-2011, 11:04 AM
http://www.gamesradar.com/f/grs-weekend-giveaway-duke-nukems-balls/a-2011021118124426032

There you go people! A nice chance to own a piece of the Duke.. His Steel balls! I certainly couldn't pass up the chance. :P

I bet later they will sell them overprice, when it's jsute 2 chrome balls with a little nuke logo. ;)

GirlPower23
02-13-2011, 11:06 AM
I bet later they will sell them overprice, when it's jsute 2 chrome balls with a little nuke logo. ;)

Looks like it has the Duke Nukem symbol etched in or painted on.

mimaz98
02-13-2011, 11:17 AM
There's no doubt that Forever will occupy a certain level of mediocrity. It will. And it will be terribly shallow. But that doesn't prohibit me from anticipating it. I grew up with DN3D so, naturally, I've got a bit of an affinity for it.

What I like so far about Forever is that it's deliberately not taking itself seriously. The difference between Forever's mediocrity and, say, that of the CoD franchise is Forever knows that it's mediocre. And it's not self-perpetuating mediocrity like CoD or Halo.

It's self-aware. It's over-the-top, mindless, and utterly self-indulgent. And that’s the entire point.

It's not trying to do anything new or groundbreaking. It's not trying to be a piece of work rife with innovation and intellectual thought.

For that reason (and the reason why I still enjoy DN3D today), I'll most likely enjoy it.

I'm a sucker for these things, and I'd certainly like to try and enter, but I live in Australia.

joeylawn
02-13-2011, 11:37 AM
It's not trying to do anything new or groundbreaking. It's not trying to be a piece of work rife with innovation and intellectual thought.

You are right, but one does have to see that statement as highly ironic, because when 3DFailRealms had it, that's exactly what they were trying to do - be the "bestest and mostest" of everything....

TheDude7053
02-13-2011, 11:53 AM
It will be entertaining for the nostalgia factor and nothing more and nothing less

/thread

GirlPower23
02-13-2011, 12:08 PM
It will be entertaining for the nostalgia factor and nothing more and nothing less

/thread

Haters exit stage left please.

B33 ENN
02-13-2011, 03:28 PM
No, it's nothing like CoD. Think the complete opposite. Puzzles, Hordes of enemies, over the top humor, some hard as nails bosses.. and couple that with tons of hidden secrets, easter eggs.. and I hope they bring back difficulty levels like "Damn I'm Good" (Enemies revived). Does that sound like CoD to you? Enemies aren't always a pushover either. As pointed out.. they teleport.. charge at you.. shoot rockets with splash damage and I'm sure there are so many other things they do. The game will be a challenge and no "Bore Bore Bore" (Reference to spoof game recently) :D

Cool... Sounding like BioShock meets Serious Sam, me like! :D Going to read up more on this one :)

...Ars Technica sums it up nicely if you are concerned about difficulty. The original duke did have "Lower" difficulties though. For those weak men and women out there. :P

Always good to have a range so it's accessible to a wider audience, but I like games to have real harder options, i.e. not just the usual limitation trick of less lives/less ammo, but actually more challenging A.I. That way you get a real replay value based on a differing experience in the next playthrough.

GirlPower23
02-15-2011, 04:43 PM
Little bit more info regarding Duke Nukem Forever.

http://www.gamesradar.com/f/duke-nukem-forever-4-big-reasons-its-100-old-school-authentic-while-also-100-fresh/a-2011021415105594086

ozku
02-15-2011, 05:25 PM
Little bit more info regarding Duke Nukem Forever.

http://www.gamesradar.com/f/duke-nukem-forever-4-big-reasons-its-100-old-school-authentic-while-also-100-fresh/a-2011021415105594086

That was good read, thanks for the link.

Omphofo-Bravo
02-15-2011, 05:45 PM
I can't freakin wait!