PDA

View Full Version : The Pinner

AjBastian27
02-12-2011, 02:33 PM
This is an SI idea

This would be a special infected that would take a lot of skill to play as.

Appearance-It would have a bunch of sharp objects sticking out of it's flesh, some big some small, these objects would be the cause from mutation and they slowly grow back after one is thrown

Attack-This infected could take one of the pins(or sharp objects) out of it's flesh and hurl it at the survivors, the object would pin the survivor against the wall, and since the pins are poison tipped they would do damage while the survivor is pinned, until another survivor meleed him free. Not only can these pins strike survivors, they can also stick into any part of the map.

This infected could hurl these objects into walls or doorways that would block the survivors from moving forward until they destroyed the sharp object.

Also- if you try to melee this infected back it does a little damage to you because of the sharp objects sticking out of it(this is kind of like a charger, chargers you can't melee back so they punch you and do damage, but the pinner you CAN push away but it does damage to do so). So thats kinda of similar.When this infected dies a small little patch of pins stick into the ground, probably 2ft by 2ft. That if you walk over will take slight damage

Extra Info:
-thrown pin would reach survivors about as fast as smokers tongue reaches them(probably a bit faster
-If there not directly next to a wall they will be pinned to the ground
-If next to a wall pinned to wall
-once pinned they'd need another survivor to help them
-Recharge rate a bit less than spitter
-no insta-caps
-no pinning survivors occurs from its death, only small 2 ft by 2 ft pile of pins fall
-GREAT for stopping runners.
-can block narrow passage ways

Health- 350

Moving speed- same as standing hunter

Size- a bit smaller than the charger

What do you think? people have helped me realize that my original idea is overpowered so I balanced this a little bit :)

bloodfox1222
02-12-2011, 02:36 PM
Imagine hitting the survivors in the head or neck with a pin. Insta-kill?

AjBastian27
02-12-2011, 02:37 PM
Imagine hitting the survivors in the head or neck with a pin. Insta-kill?

lol, Ya depending on where the pin would hit it would do more damage, it'd be a very skillful and refreshing infected experience

bloodfox1222
02-12-2011, 02:40 PM
lol, Ya depending on where the pin would hit it would do more damage, it'd be a very skillful and refreshing infected experience

*Rushs into crowd of survivors and laughs as the pins fly everywhere insta-killing the survivors via headshots*

gatherto
02-12-2011, 02:42 PM
so massively OP i cant even begin to describe
why do people keep making these SI with no idea of how balanced gameplay works?

zoso33
02-12-2011, 02:42 PM
You mean, like this?

http://chrisdrysdale.com/full/drysdale_haggard.jpg

bloodfox1222
02-12-2011, 02:44 PM
What if you replace the pins with a goop? If its thrown it pins survivors to objects. If you die it gets on a puddle in the ground that slows down survivors?

AjBastian27
02-12-2011, 02:48 PM
You mean, like this?

Umm I guess, I wasn't picturing the sharp objects being man made things, more like he's mutated in such a weird way he grows like pin-spike like things out of his own flesh. That way they can replenish.

AjBastian27
02-12-2011, 02:50 PM

Not really, I think infected need a powerful infected. It only has 2 attacks, claw, throw pins. But when it does it does a few other things, just so it wouldn't over complicate it when an actual human was using this infected. Plus it'd take skill to pin a survivor.

Xezium
02-12-2011, 02:50 PM
So basically, it hurts you to melee it, hurts you to be close when shooting it, hurts you with it's own attack and hurts you if you walk anywhere near it's dead body.

Sounds balanced

zoso33
02-12-2011, 02:53 PM
So basically, it hurts you to melee it, hurts you to be close when shooting it, hurts you with it's own attack and hurts you if you walk anywhere near it's dead body.

Sounds balanced

agreed. well put

Umm I guess, I wasn't picturing the sharp objects being man made things, more like he's mutated in such a weird way he grows like pin-spike like things out of his own flesh. That way they can replenish.

the main point of my link was BEEN DONE BEFORE

AjBastian27
02-12-2011, 02:54 PM

Sounds balanced

Well maybe the spikes sticking to the ground and walls after it dies is a little much, but it would slow down survivors and it would make a great opportunity for other infected to attack. I think for versus we need another powerful infected. Plus it's primary attack would take alot of skill

AjBastian27
02-12-2011, 02:55 PM
agreed. well put

the main point of my link was BEEN DONE BEFORE

Well the art is amazing in that picture. Same basic idea but I just went into more depth with it's abilities.

ZombieJesus_94
02-12-2011, 02:57 PM

Sounds balanced

It could be balanced if you only got one or two pinners per map, instead of getting them at any time like a hunter.

Also, I can completely see a pinner running into the survivors during the Dark Carnival stadium gauntlet and just completely f*cking everyone up. That'd be fun.

AjBastian27
02-12-2011, 03:00 PM
It could be balanced if you only got one or two pinners per map, instead of getting them at any time like a hunter.

Also, I can completely see a pinner running into the survivors during the Dark Carnival stadium gauntlet and just completely f*cking everyone up. That'd be fun.

Lol and It'd be loads of fun to play as.

Xalphin
02-12-2011, 08:25 PM
I think it's the base of a really good idea but needs tweaking. I wouldn't be that surprised to see something like this in L4D3.

Pharm-assist
02-12-2011, 10:12 PM
I pictured a boomer with tent pegs sticking out of it.

But I dunno man, maybe without the whole it dies, it explodes sending stuff flying at you it would be okay.

Kieran Millar
02-13-2011, 04:24 AM
For a slight help at balance you could always make it start to lose health as soon as it removes a pin or whatever.

Euclix
02-13-2011, 05:18 AM
How about he's not able continuously damage a survivor that has been 'pinned'. I mean, it wouldn't make any sense anyways. You throw the pin and that's it. You don't sit there and pound them or choke them afterwards.

After pinning you could run in for some additional damage and then call it a day.

soulripper
02-13-2011, 05:50 AM
ok so a boomer that "pins" 4 people when dying in close proximity

AjBastian27
02-13-2011, 07:47 AM
How about he's not able continuously damage a survivor that has been 'pinned'. I mean, it wouldn't make any sense anyways. You throw the pin and that's it. You don't sit there and pound them or choke them afterwards.

After pinning you could run in for some additional damage and then call it a day.

I was thinking that the pins would kind of be poisoned tipped or something, that way it can do continuous damage, but I can see where your coming from.

I think it's the base of a really good idea but needs tweaking. I wouldn't be that surprised to see something like this in L4D3.

I think if Valve could take this general idea and tweak it, I think it would be a very fun and new infected, thank you for the positive feedback :)

Phaseshifter
02-13-2011, 08:51 AM

There's balanced gameplay in L4D2?

slack3r
02-13-2011, 09:27 AM
This is an SI idea

This would be a special infected that actually took a lot of skill to play as.

What skill???

A ranged pinner like smoker (only better bc he can walk away), has area of effect attack like boomer (only better bc it deals damage) and can slow progress like spitter (only better bc he can create mazes and ad hoc choke points).
Only thing you forgot is the ability to pick up cars and throw them at the survivors. :D

AjBastian27
02-13-2011, 09:58 AM
What skill???

A ranged pinner like smoker (only better bc he can walk away), has area of effect attack like boomer (only better bc it deals damage) and can slow progress like spitter (only better bc he can create mazes and ad hoc choke points).
Only thing you forgot is the ability to pick up cars and throw them at the survivors. :D

Because u'd have to throw the pin accurately enough to pierce a survivor, if you have any constructive criticism please tell me, just please don't mock just for laughs

Zippy
02-13-2011, 10:06 AM
Eh, it kinda seems like an upgraded Spitter, so the mechanics don't seem like anything new. Although I do get an awesome mental image from the way you described the SI's appearance.

Curs3d
02-13-2011, 10:52 AM
So... it's an infected Hydralisk. :confused:

Monochrom
02-13-2011, 11:03 AM
Because u'd have to throw the pin accurately enough to pierce a survivor, if you have any constructive criticism please tell me, just please don't mock just for laughs

Are you a Noob? Is this your first FPS? If you can hit something with your Gun, obviously the Pin-Throwing won't be hard.

What you basically described is a Boss Infected. Fast like a Hunter, doesn't become stationary from it's long range pinning like the smoker, cause continuos damage while it can hide away and has the potential to pin all 4 Survivors by itself. Plus you had to add the whole exploding into a cloud of Pins thing.

Congrats, you just described the most OP SI possible while remaining half-way realistic. This thing would be Overkill. Next.

slack3r
02-13-2011, 11:16 AM

True, true.
Scoring long distance neckshot might take some prowess. Have you considered outfitting him with a scope?
:)

AjBastian27
02-13-2011, 11:44 AM
Are you a Noob? Is this your first FPS? If you can hit something with your Gun, obviously the Pin-Throwing won't be hard.

What you basically described is a Boss Infected. Fast like a Hunter, doesn't become stationary from it's long range pinning like the smoker, cause continuos damage while it can hide away and has the potential to pin all 4 Survivors by itself. Plus you had to add the whole exploding into a cloud of Pins thing.

Congrats, you just described the most OP SI possible while remaining half-way realistic. This thing would be Overkill. Next.

Well throwing(with an arm) a large spike, pin like object would take alot longer to reach a survivor than a bullet would. It would take timing. This infected is definately powerful, but I think we need another dominate infected to make versus more "balanced".

iPug
02-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Well throwing(with an arm) a large spike, pin like object would take alot longer to reach a survivor than a bullet would. It would take timing. This infected is definately powerful, but I think we need another dominate infected to make versus more "balanced".

No.
It combines aspects from the other infected and builds on them, and makes it impossible not to get damaged by when at close range.

AjBastian27
02-13-2011, 12:08 PM
No.
It combines aspects from the other infected and builds on them, and makes it impossible not to get damaged by when at close range.

True but the pin throwing from long range is definately a new aspect, perhaps the melee back damage is a little much, but the exploding pins would be a new aspect that would be really cool, you'd have to hid in a closet or behind a tree to save yourself

Monochrom
02-13-2011, 12:45 PM
True but the pin throwing from long range is definately a new aspect, perhaps the melee back damage is a little much, but the exploding pins would be a new aspect that would be really cool, you'd have to hid in a closet or behind a tree to save yourself

Cool :rolleyes:

Herp Derp

AjBastian27
02-13-2011, 12:47 PM
Cool :rolleyes:

Herp Derp

Lol, alright. I respect you don't like my idea, I'm just curious what would you do with this SI, maybe ur tweaks would be better than my idea, I would love to hear them :)

Monochrom
02-13-2011, 12:54 PM
I wouldn't do anything with it, it's not like it will become reality.

But you would have to think about the Maps, think about some actual weakness your SI should have etc.

If anything I would go with one of the other guys Ideas, throwing a Spike causes damage and I would give him a very very very long recharge. And he has to be slower then a Hunter. The whole bursting into Spikes thing, I would do that as a Damage giver. Actually be able to pin 4 Players with 1 SI is Bull and contradictory to the idea in the first place.

AjBastian27
02-13-2011, 12:57 PM
I wouldn't do anything with it, it's not like it will become reality.

But you would have to think about the Maps, think about some actual weakness your SI should have etc.

If anything I would go with one of the other guys Ideas, throwing a Spike causes damage and I would give him a very very very long recharge. And he has to be slower then a Hunter. The whole bursting into Spikes thing, I would do that as a Damage giver. Actually be able to pin 4 Players with 1 SI is Bull and contradictory to the idea in the first place.

O i definately agree, 1 spike killing 4 players is horrible, I did't want that trait for my infected. I know it won't come reality just an idea. Ok so slow the speed, and recharge rate, that would definately help balance it :)

Method320
02-13-2011, 01:12 PM
I really like this idea. However, as been stated, it seems a little too powerful. Many times I see 2 hunters at once being played, or even 3. 2 of these things at a time could be devastating. Maybe make it even beefier and instead, a small boss type thing? Much like the tank? I mean, the tank can throw rocks from far distances so he stays alive longer. This seems like the perfect way to implement this SI. Just make him spawn once in a while like the tank does.

Monochrom
02-13-2011, 03:19 PM
I really like this idea. However, as been stated, it seems a little too powerful. Many times I see 2 hunters at once being played, or even 3. 2 of these things at a time could be devastating. Maybe make it even beefier and instead, a small boss type thing? Much like the tank? I mean, the tank can throw rocks from far distances so he stays alive longer. This seems like the perfect way to implement this SI. Just make him spawn once in a while like the tank does.

Tanks are so-called Boss Infected. Like I pointed out already, that role would fit this Idea better.

Xalphin
02-13-2011, 03:48 PM
I think instead of a spike pinning someone else said have a goo like substance that would stick people to walls or objects or maybe even other people :) You could even goo someone off an edge.

Other tweaks:
Get rid of different damage for head/neck etc. Just static damage possibly have the goo be some sort of acid that does constant damage like any other si.

When the pinner or gooer? Dies it leaves a puddle of goo that temporarily slows survivors down dramatically. Though having a pinner with a death aoe effect may be to op.

Basically I think the idea of pinning a survivor to something else be it wall, object, tank :D, death, is a great idea with awesome potential that fits perfectly into L4D.

AjBastian27
02-13-2011, 04:17 PM

A boss infected would be a good idea, or maybe they just tweak it so it'd be a good fit for a SI

I think instead of a spike pinning someone else said have a goo like substance that would stick people to walls or objects or maybe even other people :) You could even goo someone off an edge.

Other tweaks:
Get rid of different damage for head/neck etc. Just static damage possibly have the goo be some sort of acid that does constant damage like any other si.

When the pinner or gooer? Dies it leaves a puddle of goo that temporarily slows survivors down dramatically. Though having a pinner with a death aoe effect may be to op.

Basically I think the idea of pinning a survivor to something else be it wall, object, tank :D, death, is a great idea with awesome potential that fits perfectly into L4D.

Thank you very much, I do like the goo idea, my only issue is there's two "liquid" infected already. I agree that pinning a survivors against something besides the ground would fit really good into L4D and would be really fun to play as and against :)

quemero658
02-13-2011, 04:58 PM
I like this idea, it reminds me of the spiker. Also, it would be cool to have another boss infected.

Zora-Link
02-13-2011, 05:01 PM
My, my, this 'SI' sounds familiar. (http://www.moddb.com/events/left-4-dead-concept-art-contest/images/haggard)

AjBastian27
02-13-2011, 06:23 PM
I like this idea, it reminds me of the spiker. Also, it would be cool to have another boss infected.
Someone else mentioned that as well, Thanks for the postivive feedback, my original idea wasn't a boss infected but what the heck whatever works :)

My, my, this 'SI' sounds familiar. (http://www.moddb.com/events/left-4-dead-concept-art-contest/images/haggard)

Actually someone on this post showed me that too, that's such a cool looking concept art, same basic principles just my idea was very differnt. the pins would be growing out of the pinners body, not man made metal, that way the pins could replenish. Also the pinning to walls is different and all the extra stuff I added like the explosive death and scattering pins everywhere.

AjBastian27
02-14-2011, 11:32 AM
For a slight help at balance you could always make it start to lose health as soon as it removes a pin or whatever.

I actually really like this idea

AjBastian27
02-14-2011, 03:07 PM
Also I thought of an idea that sort of mixes my 2 SI ideas together. I've just thought of it so It's not very detailed.

What if there was an infected that was growing boils on it's back. He would rip the boils off and he would throw them at the survivors. It could stick to the survivors or the ground under them, and when it made contact with a surface, it would emit a very large cloud of complete darkness, You couldn't see anything in the fog or anything through it.

It would be a ranged infected that would be more of an assisting SI ,like the boomer, than a damage giver, but it would create a good distraction for other infected to attack.

Zora-Link
02-27-2011, 08:51 PM
You realize you just posted FIVE TIMES in a row, right?

Trout
02-27-2011, 09:40 PM
HEY GUYS HOW ABOUT WE GIVE JOCKEYS GUNS???? THATS A GOOD IDEA RITE?! LOLOLOL ITD BE SO MUCH FUN

WUTS BALANCE AGAIN?

BlackHaloRose
02-27-2011, 10:08 PM
HEY GUYS HOW ABOUT WE GIVE JOCKEYS GUNS???? THATS A GOOD IDEA RITE?! LOLOLOL ITD BE SO MUCH FUN

WUTS BALANCE AGAIN?

Dude, why stop there? Why don't you just make L4D3 a bunch of randomly chosen cinematics of the survivors randomly dying, but it'll have players names over who they selected. Then it's fair to everyone and the survivors aren't OP anymore!!!

But on topic, I'd tone it down due to the obviously overpowered nature of it unchanged. Maybe the survivor gets free after a certain amount of time, unless they get incapped while pinned. Not sure if I agree with the exploding nature and taking damage meleeing it though.

Maybe if they implemented a difficulty setting to VS. The higher difficulty would have crueler SI in the rotation (or pickable) where as lower difficulty would have random SI rotation like normal and not as cruel SI. Then maybe mess with other settings like witch insta kill or no, common infected health and damage, frequency of health kits, whatever.

This is stuff that has been suggested before, but customizable options for VS is the only way I can see Valve getting the closest to making everyone happy.

L4D is hard to balance though, and not everyone is going to agree if it's set a certain way. (Course, that's every game, but whatever)

AjBastian27
02-28-2011, 07:40 AM
Dude, why stop there? Why don't you just make L4D3 a bunch of randomly chosen cinematics of the survivors randomly dying, but it'll have players names over who they selected. Then it's fair to everyone and the survivors aren't OP anymore!!!

But on topic, I'd tone it down due to the obviously overpowered nature of it unchanged. Maybe the survivor gets free after a certain amount of time, unless they get incapped while pinned. Not sure if I agree with the exploding nature and taking damage meleeing it though.

Maybe if they implemented a difficulty setting to VS. The higher difficulty would have crueler SI in the rotation (or pickable) where as lower difficulty would have random SI rotation like normal and not as cruel SI. Then maybe mess with other settings like witch insta kill or no, common infected health and damage, frequency of health kits, whatever.

This is stuff that has been suggested before, but customizable options for VS is the only way I can see Valve getting the closest to making everyone happy.

L4D is hard to balance though, and not everyone is going to agree if it's set a certain way. (Course, that's every game, but whatever)

very good points im happy you brought them up, ya im not sure if I should get rid o the idea of damage from melee or exploding out, probably the exploding out part. Cuz if u can't melee them and u take damage when too close your screwed lol

MordGesicht
02-28-2011, 07:46 AM
I wish I knew what hole AjBastian crawled out of.

AjBastian27
02-28-2011, 07:52 AM
I wish I knew what hole AjBastian crawled out of.

Thats innappropriate

MordGesicht
02-28-2011, 07:54 AM
About as inappropriate as ALL of your SI "ideas"

Seriously, what are you on? I'd like 2 please.

wickys
02-28-2011, 10:04 AM
i read Pimper as title
why?

AjBastian27
02-28-2011, 10:15 AM
About as inappropriate as ALL of your SI "ideas"

Seriously, what are you on? I'd like 2 please.

and u are amazingly constructive and I'm sure people appreciate hearing u smash people in every thread, thank you

i read Pimper as title
why?

true to form is those who just don't

MordGesicht
02-28-2011, 10:28 AM
and u are amazingly constructive and I'm sure people appreciate hearing u smash people in every thread, thank you

I "smash" those who feel it necessary to spam the forum with ridiculous SI ideas.

BTW, you fall under that category.

BlackHaloRose
02-28-2011, 10:49 AM
I "smash" those who feel it necessary to spam the forum with ridiculous SI ideas.

BTW, you fall under that category.

Can't say I've agreed with one idea he's come up with for one reason or another. Thief is too useless, Pinner is too powerful. Don't care for the concept of either.

Regardless, I don't really see the point in insulting him. It's certainly not painting you in any positive light.

Maybe, maybe, if he was ignoring all criticism and prancing around going "my idea is teh best, all your suggestions and opinions suck," I could understand throwing some kind of quip or two at him. But he's not doing that, he's exercising creativity.

So who exactly poured orange juice in your cereal?

Zora-Link
02-28-2011, 10:51 AM
Can't say I've agreed with one idea he's come up with for one reason or another. Thief is too useless, Pinner is too powerful. Don't care for the concept of either.

Regardless, I don't really see the point in insulting him. It's certainly not painting you in any positive light.

Maybe, maybe, if he was ignoring all criticism and prancing around going "my idea is teh best, all your suggestions and opinions suck," I could understand throwing some kind of quip or two at him. But he's not doing that, he's exercising creativity.

So who exactly poured orange juice in your cereal?

He's also annoyingly made threads with the same ideas in them, simply reposting them as a different thread, posted up to SEVEN TIMES in a row, feels the need to single quote every single damn post, and hasn't made a single idea that would work. His logic is also generally "I think it'd be fun."

While I dislike bashing people (Though I also do it occasionally, I admit) Aj is just getting annoying.

gatherto
02-28-2011, 10:55 AM
He's also annoyingly made threads with the same ideas in them, simply reposting them as a different thread, posted up to SEVEN TIMES in a row, feels the need to single quote every single damn post, and hasn't made a single idea that would work. His logic is also generally "I think it'd be fun."

While I dislike bashing people (Though I also do it occasionally, I admit) Aj is just getting annoying.

Agreed
IIRC, there was one idea of his I thought might fit. Can't find it now in the waves of horrible ideas.

If he took the time to think about balance first and how his ideas would fit into the game, perhaps he'd have few enough suggestions we can take them seriously. As it is, they're laughable.

curran12
02-28-2011, 11:01 AM
I'm all for new ideas. But the OP goes for quantity over quality. And he thinks that constant repeats of "you gave me a lot to think about" and "I see your point" actually pleases people.

BlackHaloRose
02-28-2011, 11:02 AM
@Zora-Link and gatherto

Well, I only recently came back to the forums, so he hasn't grated on me yet. Though still, I'd just avoid the threads after awhile if all were non-sense. And I dunno, maybe he does need THAT much criticism for it to sink in.
But as Zora said, I really dislike bashing people. But I also enjoy creating, so I can relate to having bad ideas that seemed awesome at the time. Which is why, at the moment anyway, he doesn't really get to me. And sure he replies to every post, but as long as they were actually commenting on his ideas, I don't see the problem in it.

gatherto
02-28-2011, 11:20 AM
@Zora-Link and gatherto

Well, I only recently came back to the forums, so he hasn't grated on me yet. Though still, I'd just avoid the threads after awhile if all were non-sense. And I dunno, maybe he does need THAT much criticism for it to sink in.
But as Zora said, I really dislike bashing people. But I also enjoy creating, so I can relate to having bad ideas that seemed awesome at the time. Which is why, at the moment anyway, he doesn't really get to me. And sure he replies to every post, but as long as they were actually commenting on his ideas, I don't see the problem in it.

the issue isn't replying to every post, it's doing it in multiple consecutive posts. instead of multi quoting and editing his post if he gets ninjad, he makes a new one and often triple posts responding to different quotes

Xalphin
02-28-2011, 11:32 AM
Jeez so many haters.

Yeah maybe some of the other stuff is not the greatest, but the idea of an SI that can essentially pin ppl to objects, things, is a cool one although something I'm sure would be a ♥♥♥♥♥ to program and take months to fix all the bugs.

gatherto
02-28-2011, 11:47 AM
Jeez so many haters.

Yeah maybe some of the other stuff is not the greatest, but the idea of an SI that can essentially pin ppl to objects, things, is a cool one although something I'm sure would be a ♥♥♥♥♥ to program and take months to fix all the bugs.

The quality of the idea is debatable.
The issue I have, and I believe Zora has as well, is that his ideas are so unrefined, so imbalanced, so unfitting, and (above all) so numerous we lose any interest in trying to balance them.

Look for a moment at the first page. This SI will deal damage to the survivers if they so much as look at it funny. There are ideas with a half decent base that AJ has suggested, but he simply puts them on the forum without thinking. To see multiple threads on the front page, all of them horribly designed in their current state, does not make people like him.

AjBastian27
02-28-2011, 12:04 PM
Jeez so many haters.

Why thank you. This is personally my favorite idea of mine, although clearly alot of people don't like it I still think it would fit in the l4d world. It would use pins to momentarily block tight passage ways and could pin people I think thatd be very fun. Thanks for the feedback :)
And yes this idea would be very hard to perfect , but I know valve could do it :)

Agreed
IIRC, there was one idea of his I thought might fit. Can't find it now in the waves of horrible ideas.

If he took the time to think about balance first and how his ideas would fit into the game, perhaps he'd have few enough suggestions we can take them seriously. As it is, they're laughable.

Well I try to think of a basic idea, get feedback from peoples post than try to improve them. This idea I don't think is laughable but you have your own opinions. I took away the part where when it does spikes explode out, because that wouldn't make sense. But i still think if u melee this infected and take damage that'd be an interesting new way to fight an infected. It could be a distanced attacker(its pins) or a suicide rusher(melee damage). If u don't like how that sounds I would like to hear why because this sounds like a pretty decent and not rediculously out there infected idea.

@Zora-Link and gatherto

I reply to single posts because i answer oeople replys before other people post.
And BlackHaloRose, I appreciate your respect even though yuo may not like my ideas either lol :)

the issue isn't replying to every post, it's doing it in multiple consecutive posts. instead of multi quoting and editing his post if he gets ninjad, he makes a new one and often triple posts responding to different quotes

I'll try my best to stop doing this :)

Also I know alot of people don't like this idea but I havn't got a real explanation why, alot of people said it's overpowered but I'd like to know why? :) and compared to other SI ideas don't think this is atleast a good idea?

gatherto
02-28-2011, 12:24 PM
Well I try to think of a basic idea, get feedback from peoples post than try to improve them. This idea I don't think is laughable but you have your own opinions. I took away the part where when it does spikes explode out, because that wouldn't make sense. But i still think if u melee this infected and take damage that'd be an interesting new way to fight an infected. It could be a distanced attacker(its pins) or a suicide rusher(melee damage). If u don't like how that sounds I would like to hear why because this sounds like a pretty decent and not rediculously out there infected idea.

The main argument is balance. You have set up an infected that has a large amount of ways to do damage to the survivers, even if it only has two attacks. It fits better than many of your other ideas (the thief comes to mind) but you have it set up so that it can do damage at range, damage close up, area denial, AND it hurts to kill if it's close enough. On top of that, you can't even get distance like you can with the boomer. You have made an SI with no reliable counters.

What, I think, grates people the most about you is that you keep with these statements of "people are criticizing my ideas and not saying why." When people don't provide a reason in their post it's either because the point has already been made multiple times elsewhere in the thread or you have simply missed the point they already made. The first several pages were full of exact, pointed criticisms about the balance of this idea, yet you seem to have glossed over that with a series of "I respect your opinions :D"

I'll try my best to stop doing this :)

thanks

Also I know alot of people don't like this idea but I havn't got a real explanation why, alot of people said it's overpowered but I'd like to know why? :) and compared to other SI ideas don't think this is atleast a good idea?

see above

AjBastian27
02-28-2011, 01:33 PM
The main argument is balance. You have set up an infected that has a large amount of ways to do damage to the survivers, even if it only has two attacks. It fits better than many of your other ideas (the thief comes to mind) but you have it set up so that it can do damage at range, damage close up, area denial, AND it hurts to kill if it's close enough. On top of that, you can't even get distance like you can with the boomer. You have made an SI with no reliable counters.

What, I think, grates people the most about you is that you keep with these statements of "people are criticizing my ideas and not saying why." When people don't provide a reason in their post it's either because the point has already been made multiple times elsewhere in the thread or you have simply missed the point they already made. The first several pages were full of exact, pointed criticisms about the balance of this idea, yet you seem to have glossed over that with a series of "I respect your opinions :D"

I Say thank you and I respect it because I do, and I'm telling them why I do. I see people say wow thats so overpowered and stupid, Aj you need to stop. Stuff like that, I don't ignore, I just don't take into consideration there rudeness. I do take into consideration the Over powered part. The only things that this SI has to do damage is, it's pin throwing attack, its scratch, and a new element that makes it so if meleed you take slight damage. I know my ideas aren;t too great(well I think this ones pretty good) but this is a reasonable SI, and I know that.

It's different, has a different purpose, not too ridiculously out there, has a new attack, and a new melee back damage feature( kind of like the charger except chargers you can;t melee back so they punch you, but the pinner you can melee back but it does damage) kinda the same thing just differnt you know?

Psychological
02-28-2011, 01:51 PM
I Say thank you and I respect it because I do, and I'm telling them why I do. I see people say wow thats so overpowered and stupid, Aj you need to stop. Stuff like that, I don't ignore, I just don't take into consideration there rudeness. I do take into consideration the Over powered part. The only things that this SI has to do damage is, it's pin throwing attack, its scratch, and a new element that makes it so if meleed you take slight damage. I know my ideas aren;t too great(well I think this ones pretty good) but this is a reasonable SI, and I know that.

It's different, has a different purpose, not too ridiculously out there, has a new attack, and a new melee back damage feature( kind of like the charger except chargers you can;t melee back so they punch you, but the pinner you can melee back but it does damage) kinda the same thing just differnt you know?

Respecting people's opinions is all nice and good but when they give very good criticism and ideas to balance it you need to actually REPLY to the post with an actual REBUTTAL or a COUNTER POINT, Not just a "I respect your opinions" and move on. It's quite frustrating to write a very long and explicit post with many thought out points and tips only to see that you've brushed it off with yet another "I respect your opinions"

"I think you should remove the melee damage feature, that's just a little too much"

"I respect your opinions"

It just doesn't work, y'know?

Epic Doom
02-28-2011, 01:55 PM
Here's how to fix this. Accuracy somewhere around the AK's to avoid sniping. 6 second recharge rate per thrown pin, and if the pin has some sort of "poison" damage, then players should be able to tap the melee button to unpin themselves which would normally take about 5 seconds (max 3 damage per second), but also a survior can melee someone free. Think of this as more of a support type SI, like a boomer than can deal a little (more) damage. There are no insta-incap's no matter where you hit the survivor. Also, no pinning occurs upon the death of this SI, MAYBE some slight damage (5 damage to whoever is in the radius).

Uses for this: Good way to incap a survivor who's low health, pin a survivor to spit or to be boomed, or buy time for another SI to deal damage/kill. Great way to stop a runner.

AjBastian27
02-28-2011, 03:00 PM
Respecting people's opinions is all nice and good but when they give very good criticism and ideas to balance it you need to actually REPLY to the post with an actual REBUTTAL or a COUNTER POINT, Not just a "I respect your opinions" and move on. It's quite frustrating to write a very long and explicit post with many thought out points and tips only to see that you've brushed it off with yet another "I respect your opinions"

"I think you should remove the melee damage feature, that's just a little too much"

"I respect your opinions"

It just doesn't work, y'know?

I understand what your saying, I try to answer most people, but thats what got some people angry with me in the first place. I try to write what I like about peoples replys and I take almost everyones criticism into consideration. Lets try to get back to the matter of the SI, I apologize for any aggrivation or stress I've given anyone and for the last time, I respect your opinions :)

Here's how to fix this. Accuracy somewhere around the AK's to avoid sniping. 6 second recharge rate per thrown pin, and if the pin has some sort of "poison" damage, then players should be able to tap the melee button to unpin themselves which would normally take about 5 seconds (max 3 damage per second), but also a survior can melee someone free. Think of this as more of a support type SI, like a boomer than can deal a little (more) damage. There are no insta-incap's no matter where you hit the survivor. Also, no pinning occurs upon the death of this SI, MAYBE some slight damage (5 damage to whoever is in the radius).

Uses for this: Good way to incap a survivor who's low health, pin a survivor to spit or to be boomed, or buy time for another SI to deal damage/kill. Great way to stop a runner.

Lets see I like that you've given me what you think.

Ok, the pin wouldn't reach someone nearly as fast as an ak, it would be more like the speed of a smoker tounge reaching a survivor.
-If there not directly next to a wall they will be pinned to the ground
-If next to a wall pinned to wall
-I like ur thinking that they could melee themselves free, but I think once pinned they'd need another survivor to help them
-Recharge rate a bit less than spitter
-no insta-caps
-no pinning occurs on death, only small 2 ft by 2 ft pile of pins fall
-GREAT for stopping runners.
-can block narrow passage ways

Does that clear it up a bit? :) thank you you even helped me figure out a few things :)

AjBastian27
02-28-2011, 05:56 PM
edited main post

Blobman001
02-28-2011, 06:15 PM
You mean, like this?

LOL, Ninja'd, by VALVE XD

AjBastian27
02-28-2011, 06:42 PM
LOL, Ninja'd, by VALVE XD

not sure what that means lol

Lulzfish
02-28-2011, 10:06 PM
i read Pimper as title
why?

This SI pimps out the Witch and Spitter and occasionally pimp-slaps them. This has nothing to do with gameplay.

AjBastian27
03-01-2011, 07:25 AM
This SI pimps out the Witch and Spitter and occasionally pimp-slaps them. This has nothing to do with gameplay.

What an interesting attack :)

RugbyOddjob
03-01-2011, 07:41 AM

Now THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LIm7gSV9Mc) is a pimp-slap.

LOL ;)

AjBastian27
03-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Now THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LIm7gSV9Mc) is a pimp-slap.

LOL ;)

lol amazing how off topic threads can get lol, none the less entertaining though :)

Psychological
03-01-2011, 06:52 PM
not sure what that means lol

It means that Valve has already thought about the same idea, except it was BALANCED, made sense in the game's world, and generally worked all around.

SO. If valve came up with a perfect idea and decided "No", what makes you think that the same idea except HORRIBLY balanced and still in beta would make them say "HOLY ♥♥♥♥, COME WORK FOR US RIGHT NAO!" ?

AjBastian27
03-01-2011, 08:40 PM
It means that Valve has already thought about the same idea, except it was BALANCED, made sense in the game's world, and generally worked all around.

SO. If valve came up with a perfect idea and decided "No", what makes you think that the same idea except HORRIBLY balanced and still in beta would make them say "HOLY ♥♥♥♥, COME WORK FOR US RIGHT NAO!" ?

actually quite different. And thanks for being a jerk off dude. why don't u just not post on something that u hate so much, find something better to do.

AjBastian27
03-02-2011, 12:00 PM

If it's such a horibble infected why don't u atleast explain why

bklounge23
04-22-2011, 11:27 AM
So ♥♥♥♥ing sick i just ♥♥♥♥ing came :o

Tyrant vs Tank
04-22-2011, 11:34 AM
Good idea.

The only two conceivable ideas I'd go with are giving the current set of specials a 3rd form of attack or create maybe 1, maybe 2 new special infected that would neutralize tactics like rushing and baiting as well as something that causes survivors to lose its current item on a percentage chance.

Zora-Link
04-22-2011, 11:53 AM
So ♥♥♥♥ing sick i just ♥♥♥♥ing came :o

Obvious alt account for AJ is obvious.

AjBastian27
04-23-2011, 11:23 AM
Obvious alt account for AJ is obvious.

I actually have no idea who that is except for the fact he posted on another one of my threads saying the same thing, hes probly being sarcastic

sloppinjoe
04-23-2011, 11:36 AM
i dont want to get sniped by a harpoon, no thanks bub.

AjBastian27
04-23-2011, 07:27 PM
i dont want to get sniped by a harpoon, no thanks bub.

your welcome

AjBastian27
05-15-2011, 07:29 AM

why thank u i appreciate this :)

chazzerman286
05-15-2011, 07:31 AM
Christ almighty. Just let the damn thread die!

Manumento
05-15-2011, 11:02 AM
Actually I have my own idea with this one.

He throws a pin who damages a single survivor with 20 damage while not pinning him, has a speed like a charger, has 300 hp, primary attack recharge time is 35 seconds. Has no AoE attack and his secondary attack - melee causes 10 damage.

in addition, we can give him a primary attack overlay damage causing 5 damage every 2,5 seconds until a teammate shoves the survivor (thus removing the "pin").

This may be unique as it introduces a new type of damaging infected: apart from AoE and pinning infected, there might only be a damaging infected.

AjBastian27
05-15-2011, 07:02 PM
Actually I have my own idea with this one.

He throws a pin who damages a single survivor with 20 damage while not pinning him, has a speed like a charger, has 300 hp, primary attack recharge time is 35 seconds. Has no AoE attack and his secondary attack - melee causes 10 damage.

in addition, we can give him a primary attack overlay damage causing 5 damage every 2,5 seconds until a teammate shoves the survivor (thus removing the "pin").

This may be unique as it introduces a new type of damaging infected: apart from AoE and pinning infected, there might only be a damaging infected.

Whhy thank u! I too think it's unique and a very different idea :)

Sporknife
05-15-2011, 07:59 PM
Scratch all that crap and give the spitter a secondary spit..does no dmg but is sticky. if you hit a survivor dead on it sticks them to wall(if wall is close by) and can only be opened with melee though keeps a long cool down like acid spit and cannot be used one after the other..its either or. If it hits the floor it puddles like acid spit(not as large a spread) but slows survivors down just a bit...either or. for balance sake it could also slow down SI if stepped it.

Example: survivors are rushing and getting ahead of infected...you are spamming E to spawn closer but alas its not working. a spitter spawns ahead and can either A use acid spit or B use goop spit.

Shoots goop spit in walkway slowing down at least 2 survivors and or pinning on to a wall Giving time for other infected to catch up.

Dunno prob stupid Idea but way easier to do then the stupid "Pinner" idea...stop reading X-men.

AjBastian27
05-16-2011, 06:03 AM
So u took every feature that my SI had but turned the pin into goop, yet u called my idea stupid... I think I just became stupid

Sporknife
05-16-2011, 01:28 PM
No, your Si is most likely to complicated for valve to at this stage put in the game and the main objective of his name sake...pinning people would more then likely be more viable and easy to implement with a current infected..Spitter. There are like 20 posts on this thread about how your idea is Over powered and that's because it sounds that way. Spikes hurt you to be close, spikes hurt when they are on the ground, spikes hurt when they pin you. but hes hard to use? what does he drive like a freaking tank? or a moon lander? tell me how this guy is going to be harder to use then a hunter or even a jockey.

If valve changes or adds any new infected abilities its going to be to the current SI.

AjBastian27
05-16-2011, 01:50 PM
I guarantee VALVe won't add new abilities to old SI. They'll probably either take out the jockey and add 2 SI, or just add 2 new SI.

As for overpowered, all it does is pin u and can block doorways, plus u take very minimal damage from melee this infected back, which adds a cool new element to the game.

It wouldn't be hard to play as u just throw a pin and ur golden.

Mambini
05-16-2011, 02:49 PM
They'll probably either take out the jockey and add 2 SI, or just add 2 new SI.

wth is this ? :rolleyes: Even if this was true, I don't see why the jockey should be removed.

AjBastian27
05-16-2011, 08:52 PM
wth is this ? :rolleyes: Even if this was true, I don't see why the jockey should be removed.

The jockey either needs to be vastly changed or removed. I also think if they based l4d3 in a different continent, it'd be cool if they removed all SI, and thought up 3 new different ones, just to make it a simpler game again

opp3rbieest
05-17-2011, 01:29 AM
nice idea.
and the picture of the zombie was also nice.

i would love to play as a hedgehog infected.
great idea keep them comming

Zora-Link
05-17-2011, 01:36 AM
nice idea.

God no, don't encourage him.

opp3rbieest
05-17-2011, 01:43 AM
God no, don't encourage him.

haha:P

i am going to encourage him.
but i got a better idea.

why not make the pinner big and slow.
so he can be used as uber infected.
so that sometime you get the Tank and sometimes the Pinner

AjBastian27
05-17-2011, 06:04 AM
nice idea.

haha:P

i am going to encourage him.
but i got a better idea.

why not make the pinner big and slow.
so he can be used as uber infected.
so that sometime you get the Tank and sometimes the Pinner

I appreciate it, when I have ideas I shall post them don't worry, even though 95% of people hate them :). Ya a few people brought up that it should be a new boss infected, and that idea works for me thats good think man thanks :)