PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about joining the U.S. Navy

Achillies
02-12-2011, 08:28 PM
So, to start things off, I'm 15, close to 16 and for a long time have wanted to be an actor. But very recently, the Armed Forces have caught my attention. It started in my AP World History class when my teacher, who is an ex-Air Force pilot brought in some of his old students who are now in the USAF and they talked about life in the AF and the payment and education and life-style and I became very interested. But I told myself that if I was to join a branch of the Military, it would be the Navy for two reasons; I love the ocean and to keep a tradition in my family of at least one person from every generation to join the Navy. My grandfather, who I look up to very much served in the Korean War and my cousin is stationed in Italy right now.

Now, for my question: If anyone who's been in the Navy, or any armed force, could you tell me what it's like? Just daily life, and if you went to your respective branch's college, how was that?

Thank you for your time, and to all veterans of all branches and countries: thank you for your service.

Please, no "Don't drop the soap" jokes.

Achillies

Archvile
02-12-2011, 08:38 PM
If this doesn't convince you to join up, I don't know what will. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InBXu-iY7cw)

bluz74
02-12-2011, 08:40 PM
One of the biggest regrets in my life is not joining the Navy like my old man.

☭Comяade Яed☭
02-12-2011, 08:45 PM
Hey there OP, sailor here.

I'm an undesignated seaman with BMU 1 (http://www.bmu1.navy.mil/).

Normally undesignated is the worst thing you can possibly do in the Navy, but my undes is pretty cool. BMU 1 specializes in amphibious landings of LCACs and LCUs. On a day to day basis I maintain vehicles and get training on beach operations. When we're actually out on an operation I set up a beach with signal flag posts, and guide in craft with either flags, hand signals, or lights. If we're on the beach for an extended period of time I also do camp support stuff. I'm hoping to get training for working with our radios too.

Most undes seamen get really crazy hours and do nothing but clean, chip paint, and paint what they just chipped, but I go into work at 7:00 and get off at 3:30 most days.

Europhoria
02-12-2011, 08:49 PM
If this doesn't convince you to join up, I don't know what will. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InBXu-iY7cw)

Or this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e89U1bBnJBk).

Achillies
02-12-2011, 09:33 PM
Hey there OP, sailor here.

I'm an undesignated seaman with BMU 1 (http://www.bmu1.navy.mil/).

Normally undesignated is the worst thing you can possibly do in the Navy, but my undes is pretty cool. BMU 1 specializes in amphibious landings of LCACs and LCUs. On a day to day basis I maintain vehicles and get training on beach operations. When we're actually out on an operation I set up a beach with signal flag posts, and guide in craft with either flags, hand signals, or lights. If we're on the beach for an extended period of time I also do camp support stuff. I'm hoping to get training for working with our radios too.

Most undes seamen get really crazy hours and do nothing but clean, chip paint, and paint what they just chipped, but I go into work at 7:00 and get off at 3:30 most days.

I'm unable to view that link right now, but what rank are you right now? How long did it take you to get there? What's the pay like? Also, I was planning on going to Navy University (not sure of it's official name) so I wouldn't have to go in as an E-1

☭Comяade Яed☭
02-12-2011, 09:41 PM
I'm unable to view that link right now, but what rank are you right now? How long did it take you to get there? What's the pay like? Also, I was planning on going to Navy University (not sure of it's official name) so I wouldn't have to go in as an E-1

I'm pretty new, just a Seaman Apprentice (E-2). I came in with this rank, I got it for helping out my recruiters. If you get someone in nuclear field or special warfare to join, or two people in any other rating, you can get promoted. You can also get E-3 if you get two in nuke/specwar or four in anything else. There's a few ways to make E-2/E-3 early on.

You can see a paychart here (http://www.navycs.com/2011-military-pay-chart.html).

I'm not sure what you mean by Navy University. If you mean the Naval Academy, that's a four year college that gets you a bachelor's degree and commissioned as an O-1 or O-2 upon graduation. I don't know a lot about the officer world though so I'm not the best to ask on details. I do know that admissions are really hard and you have to be under like 21 years of age or something like that. And you need to be endorsed by a congressman.

If you mean the Navy College program, that's a college program you can when you're already enlisted.

NaggingMaleMan
02-12-2011, 09:45 PM
I want to join the army too, and I'm also turning 16. Although I am unsure what exact role I want to play.

☭Comяade Яed☭
02-12-2011, 09:46 PM
I want to join the army too, and I'm also turning 16. Although I am unsure what exact role I want to play.

Army and Navy are apples and oranges. But I suggest just asking a recruiter when you get a little older.

Anasazi
02-12-2011, 09:49 PM
I've been in the Navy for almost four years, am an E-5... If you have any questions feel free to ask, but your experience will vary depending on what job you get.

The college program you can do when you're enlisted is called Seaman to Admiral 21 (STA-21), it's a three year program and you're commissioned upon receiving your degree/going through officer candidate school, with an obligated five years of duty after commissioning.
You can also do an Naval Reserve Officer Training Corps program at almost every university/college, where you don't have to enlist, you go to college for four years like you normally would, except you have to do monthly/summer training (I don't know how much time that requires), and then ... well, like STA-21, you have that obliserve of about five years as an officer.

There are plenty of options. Also, the Navy is a great choice. The Army is supposed to be downsizing by tens of thousands of soldiers, so it might actually become harder to enter (unless you score well on the ASVAB, which shouldn't be too hard to do). And if you have any interests or hobbies that might apply to military life, tell the recruiter. I got a sweet job because of my favorite subject in high school, and there's a military job for just about every private sector equivalent.

NaggingMaleMan
02-12-2011, 09:59 PM
I've been in the Navy for almost four years, am an E-5... If you have any questions feel free to ask, but your experience will vary depending on what job you get.

The college program you can do when you're enlisted is called Seaman to Admiral 21 (STA-21), it's a three year program and you're commissioned upon receiving your degree/going through officer candidate school, with an obligated five years of duty after commissioning.
You can also do an Naval Reserve Officer Training Corps program at almost every university/college, where you don't have to enlist, you go to college for four years like you normally would, except you have to do monthly/summer training (I don't know how much time that requires), and then ... well, like STA-21, you have that obliserve of about five years as an officer.

There are plenty of options. Also, the Navy is a great choice. The Army is supposed to be downsizing by tens of thousands of soldiers, so it might actually become harder to enter (unless you score well on the ASVAB, which shouldn't be too hard to do). And if you have any interests or hobbies that might apply to military life, tell the recruiter. I got a sweet job because of my favorite subject in high school, and there's a military job for just about every private sector equivalent.

Thanks, but I have a question. Once you get recruited and are sent to basic training, do you still have a option to opt out?

oi u agree
02-12-2011, 10:06 PM
There's no reason to be thinking about joining any of the military branches unless you like completely fail high school. If you don't completely fail, you should be able to get substantial financial aid to pay for college. Classes at 12PM vs waking up really early? I'll take the former.

l4nd0fc0nfu510n
02-12-2011, 10:14 PM
There's no reason to be thinking about joining any of the military branches unless you like completely fail high school. If you don't completely fail, you should be able to get substantial financial aid to pay for college. Classes at 12PM vs waking up really early? I'll take the former.

Finances and education aren't the only reasons people want to join the military.

☭Comяade Яed☭
02-12-2011, 10:23 PM
Thanks, but I have a question. Once you get recruited and are sent to basic training, do you still have a option to opt out?

Well there are ways you can get kicked out, but no you can't just change your mind. By the time you're to that point though it's a pretty lame thing to give up. You need to make up your mind before you're there.

GlocknessMonstr
02-12-2011, 10:27 PM
i was going to join when i was 18, but the recruiter tried to bait and switch me from the 4 year course that i wanted to a 6 year that wasnt close to what i wanted.(the 4 year vanished when i went to meps) looking back im glad i didnt join. i was only going so it would help me pay for college, so i would have been lucky in the fact that the US wouldnt have been at war, but to join now with us being in two wars(yes i realize the navy isnt going to see alot of action being that the wars are in the desert) is stacking the odds against you. granted at this time its probably one one of the few places you will find job security, i would say only join if youre looking at a naval career.

☭Comяade Яed☭
02-12-2011, 10:34 PM
i was going to join when i was 18, but the recruiter tried to bait and switch me from the 4 year course that i wanted to a 6 year that wasnt close to what i wanted.(the 4 year vanished when i went to meps) looking back im glad i didnt join. i was only going so it would help me pay for college, so i would have been lucky in the fact that the US wouldnt have been at war, but to join now with us being in two wars(yes i realize the navy isnt going to see alot of action being that the wars are in the desert) is stacking the odds against you. granted at this time its probably one one of the few places you will find job security, i would say only join if youre looking at a naval career.

It's not a bait and switch, some ratings like fire controlman and nuclear are 6 years because their schooling is so long that the Navy's not getting its money's worth with a four year commitment.

spire17
02-12-2011, 10:35 PM

I graduated high school and joined the U.S. Air Force. I am in training to be a weather forecaster. The weather school is 8 months long and every single book we get is worth college credit. I get PAID to go to school and get credits for a job that I can take out into the civilian world and get paid bank for. Not looking at the military as a reasonable option after high school is very short sighted. I've been in the Air Force for 8 months now and I have done so many things my fellow high school classmates would never dream of.

To O.P.
The Navy is fricken awesome. Air Force, Navy, Marine corps, and coast guard all go to the same school for weather. I have had Navy in my class and they are all happy with their choice to join the Navy. One of my Navy weather friends is at a naval station in Japan right now just enjoying life.

Before you walk into the recruiters office (you being only 15 that will be a while) Watch a documentary by PBS called Carrier. (http://www.pbs.org/weta/carrier/)

stickman
02-12-2011, 10:54 PM
I've also had some recent thoughts about joining the military (in my case it's the US Army) if I can't get a job straight out of college, just to put money in my wallet. And I told myself that if I actually enjoy military life I'd just go for the Rangers.

But that's a far cry from what I am physically and emotionally. I guess the potential of seeing combat is still there, and that scares the ♥♥♥♥ out of me given today's combat environment.

Microshocky
02-12-2011, 11:23 PM
I just went into MEPS (Military Entry Processing Station)today for my physical. All went well.

I'm joining the US Army, active duty and i'm going back to MEPS monday morning, to officially take the oath and sign the contract.

BattleAxe_604
02-12-2011, 11:37 PM
Don't throw your life away. The U.S. Government doesn't care about mentaly(PTSD) or physically injured war veterans after these great patriots have put their lives on the line for what they are lead to believe is for the good of the country.

Amazing speech by Iraq War Veteran:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akm3nYN8aG8

Also Google "U.S. Government cuts Veteran Health Care".

notavirus.exe
02-12-2011, 11:55 PM
OP, If you like Math, Science, and the Navy look up SPAWAR or Auxiliary Nuclear Operators.

Spawar is some pretty cool stuff and I believe you have the choice of civilian and enlisted jobs.

Aux. Nuclear Operators are naval versions of civilian Auxiliary Operators who take care of nuclear maintenance. Its a cool, technical hands on type of job. And since the submarines, aircraft carriers, and battleships are all powered by nuclear reactors you would never have a shortage of work.

Or if your phenomenal at math and computer science you can always look into cryptology, its a field that is in great need of young people and is highly understaffed right now.

Good luck. Don't enlist until you have considered and discussed your decision with your parents. It really is a big decision.

fr00bl3t
02-13-2011, 12:03 AM
If advice dog were here, he would say:
Get a job!

Be successful!

AnubisArc999
02-13-2011, 02:42 AM

11B is the only way to go (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58vQ7_4I2P4)

I just went into MEPS (Military Entry Processing Station)today for my physical. All went well.

I'm joining the US Army, active duty and i'm going back to MEPS monday morning, to officially take the oath and sign the contract.

Good luck, soldier.

AlphaFox
02-13-2011, 04:55 AM
Don't drop the soap in the showers.

sad_ism
02-13-2011, 05:09 AM
Don't drop the soap in the showers.

Yeah, the floors are really icky.

MADDOGGE
02-13-2011, 06:17 AM
Not the way they made us clean them floors it wasn't. Who the hell removes the drain filter and cleans the drain pipe as far down as one can reach?:eek::D

The military is a wonderful place to get a start in life whether you just don't know what you want to do yet, you stay for a career or just 4 years. Teaches you discipline, provides you with food, clothing and housing and spending money. If you take advantage of it, there is college available on base during your enlistment and later college money when you go back into civilian life. You have no real expenses so it's easy to save money. Living on base/post/ship you have no real need of a car so you save on that expense as well. You will be doing things no 18 years old would ever be trusted with in civilian life. Nice brotherhood feeling. I do miss it even after all these years.

When you go to Basic/boot camp just keep in mind that that is not the real military. Basic is designed to break you and build you up to be a intelligent team player capable of independent thought. better to break you in a controlled environment then in real life. If you understand the game, basic can be very fun.;)

spire17
02-13-2011, 08:41 AM

I cleaned the Latrine when I was in basic. Those shower floors were spotless, we even lint rolled them. I was so damn proud of my latrine floors, I would of gladly ate off them.

skippy72294
02-13-2011, 08:48 AM
I cleaned the Latrine when I was in basic. Those shower floors were spotless, we even lint rolled them. I was so damn proud of my latrine floors, I would of gladly ate off them.

I laughed at this, but that's a good thing lol xD
OP, I thought about joining the Navy since I was 13 (I'm 16) and I decided against it... My heart is with cars and computers, and my girlfriend would hate it if I couldn't see her

sad_ism
02-13-2011, 09:03 AM
Not the way they made us clean them floors it wasn't. Who the hell removes the drain filter and cleans the drain pipe as far down as one can reach?:eek::D

Fine, the latrine floors are clean but the latrine cleaning/cleaners are icky ;)

VAC Angel
02-13-2011, 09:08 AM
I am proud to say that I am a U.S. Marine. I loved the lifestyle in Iraq, we were all disceplined but we still knew eachother well. When you're in the Armed Forces, it's about your country. You are the forceful voice of the people. The danger as a marine is very high, I was shot in my left shoulder when our convoy was ambushed by Al Queda fighters. An IED hit our front vehicle and they converged on us from some hills. Two men in my squad died that day.

That's what it's about laying your life down for your country so others can live the life our founding fathers dreamed of.

Anasazi
02-13-2011, 09:15 AM

You have to work hard to do that, but some people do, it's called a failure to adapt, and you typically only have a year. You really have to screw up and probably face an other than honorable/dishonorable discharge before you'd get the "Failure to Adapt" administrative discharge, though. Best to make sure that's what you want to do for your four/six year contract before you go.

People like you disgust me. Lazy, basically not even working for yourself because you'll just get "financial aid".
I mean, the military's not for you, that's fine, but don't try to spread a bunch of rumors/factless information when the truth is, the military provides a TON of great opportunities and benefits.

Anasazi
02-13-2011, 09:20 AM
OP, If you like Math, Science, and the Navy look up SPAWAR or Auxiliary Nuclear Operators.

Spawar is some pretty cool stuff and I believe you have the choice of civilian and enlisted jobs.

Aux. Nuclear Operators are naval versions of civilian Auxiliary Operators who take care of nuclear maintenance. Its a cool, technical hands on type of job. And since the submarines, aircraft carriers, and battleships are all powered by nuclear reactors you would never have a shortage of work.

Or if your phenomenal at math and computer science you can always look into cryptology, its a field that is in great need of young people and is highly understaffed right now.

Good luck. Don't enlist until you have considered and discussed your decision with your parents. It really is a big decision.

We don't have Battleships any more, and if we did, they don't have nuclear engines.
There's also a cryptology field for languages which is amazing, go to a language school in beautiful Monterey, CA for between six months to a year and a half, get an AA degree in that language from that school after you graduate...
As for Cryptologic ratings in general, promotion is typically accelerated until E5/E6 and then it basically just stops... And that may change in a couple years as everyone's joining that community.

☭Comяade Яed☭
02-13-2011, 09:31 AM
We don't have Battleships any more, and if we did, they don't have nuclear engines.
There's also a cryptology field for languages which is amazing, go to a language school in beautiful Monterey, CA for between six months to a year and a half, get an AA degree in that language from that school after you graduate...
As for Cryptologic ratings in general, promotion is typically accelerated until E5/E6 and then it basically just stops... And that may change in a couple years as everyone's joining that community.

I've heard CT along with AG and nuke schools have the highest failure rates though, so if you go for something like that be really smart!

IgnoreThisPlox
02-13-2011, 09:50 AM
I applaud you for considering to join a branch of the military! The navy seems to be an awesome place to start your life. I was actually considering joining the navy if and only if I would be admitted to the United States Naval Academy (Annapolis) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Naval_Academy), but I was not able to.

Since you still have some years, maybe you should try and train to get into Annapolis, since I think that would be the best place to go if you want to be in the navy

Achillies
02-13-2011, 09:52 AM
I am proud to say that I am a U.S. Marine. I loved the lifestyle in Iraq, we were all disceplined but we still knew eachother well. When you're in the Armed Forces, it's about your country. You are the forceful voice of the people. The danger as a marine is very high, I was shot in my left shoulder when our convoy was ambushed by Al Queda fighters. An IED hit our front vehicle and they converged on us from some hills. Two men in my squad died that day.

That's what it's about laying your life down for your country so others can live the life our founding fathers dreamed of.

My prayers go out to those two men and their families.

Achillies
02-13-2011, 09:58 AM
I applaud you for considering to join a branch of the military! The navy seems to be an awesome place to start your life. I was actually considering joining the navy if and only if I would be admitted to the United States Naval Academy (Annapolis) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Naval_Academy), but I was not able to.

Since you still have some years, maybe you should try and train to get into Annapolis, since I think that would be the best place to go if you want to be in the navy

Yes, the Naval Academy is what I meant by "Navy University" in my earlier post (I was tired, I just got back from a Tampa Bay Lightning game). But I am striving to get there. As of now, that's my goal.

IgnoreThisPlox
02-13-2011, 10:00 AM
Yes, the Naval Academy is what I meant by "Navy University" in my earlier post (I was tired, I just got back from a Tampa Bay Lightning game). But I am striving to get there. As of now, that's my goal.

Yeah, make sure you look at the all the admissions requirements first, so you are prepared

Achillies
02-13-2011, 10:23 AM
Yeah, make sure you look at the all the admissions requirements first, so you are prepared

Thanks for the help, have some- Dear Lord you have a lot of rep.

Have some more.

joeylawn
02-13-2011, 10:41 AM
If advice dog were here, he would say:
Get a job!

Be successful!

With today's job market, that's a lot easier said than done. As a matter of fact, if the OP did a stint in the Navy for a few years, afterwards his chances of getting a good job go up quite a bit.

MADDOGGE
02-13-2011, 11:01 AM
Most people I know that run businesses prefer vets. Vastly more mature than kids their same age that haven't served.

ShadowMask6
02-13-2011, 11:02 AM
If you do join the navy, then you have the chance to be on a Nimitz CVN. And to all of the people who posted that served or is on active duty, thank you for your service.

iBMe
02-13-2011, 11:05 AM

Haha +rep

I bet its what 90% of the people who read the thread title thought.

TimM
02-13-2011, 11:08 AM
Why would you join the navy when you can join the army?

MADDOGGE
02-13-2011, 11:13 AM
Why would you join the navy when you can join the army?Some people like to take all expenses paid cruises and enjoy water sports. Not everyone is into camping.;):D

Anasazi
02-13-2011, 11:16 AM
I've heard CT along with AG and nuke schools have the highest failure rates though, so if you go for something like that be really smart!

True, but part of the reason people fail out is because they don't apply themselves. They call Corry Station "Corry High" because people go there and just act like complete morons.
The schools themselves aren't really that difficult, just gotta apply yourself, and like I said, choose a job that takes advantage of your strengths and it'll be even easier.

If you aren't already, get yourself on a sports team and start doing a lot of extracurricular activities like student body or volunteer events your school might do. These things, coupled with a high GPA and high SAT/ACT scores will make your application shine.

Also, be aware that the Academy, as it was explained previously, is a college where you'll be commissioned upon graduation. So, if you want to be an officer, that's a good route, but if you want to go enlisted and get some experience first, gotta just enlist.

Why would you join the navy when you can join the army?

You get treated like a human being, don't have crappy deployments to the middle of the desert (if you don't want to), better opportunities.... better food (though the Air Force takes the cake for that).
Also, enlistment requirements for the Navy are higher than the Army. I'm not saying that means a lot, since I deal with a lot of morons on a regular basis, but just imagine how compounded that would be in a branch made for Marine rejects.

TimM
02-13-2011, 11:26 AM
Exactly. The military/ marines are the real deal. Navy people have it easy. Doesn't make a man of you.

IgnoreThisPlox
02-13-2011, 11:29 AM
Exactly. The military/ marines are the real deal. Navy people have it easy. Doesn't make a man of you.

ORLY (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSS5dEeMX64&feature=related)

TimM
02-13-2011, 11:39 AM
ORLY (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSS5dEeMX64&feature=related)

No need to get upset or rude like you are.

As the man said... the guy who commented on me. The Navy is just easier.

IgnoreThisPlox
02-13-2011, 12:03 PM

lol, the person who says that the navy doesn't make a man of you is calling me rude.

TimM
02-13-2011, 12:05 PM
I was not rude. The navy is a lot easier. Most of them are undiciplined. They can sleep in. They even get delicious food and often 3 times a day.

But, yes, if you want an easier time you should go for that.

And yes, you are rude, I have not been.

Achillies
02-13-2011, 12:07 PM

As the man said... the guy who commented on me. The Navy is just easier.

I don't consider any branch of the military "easy". In every branch you risk your life for your life for your country. I dislike people like you who say one branch is easier. People die in every branch and you should be ashamed for trying to make a mockery of those people.

TimM
02-13-2011, 12:09 PM
I don't consider any branch of the military "easy". In every branch you risk your life for your life for your country. I dislike people like you who say one branch is easier. People die in every branch and you should be ashamed for trying to make a mockery of those people.

I have put my life on the line, thank you.

And no the navy does not do that. They don't go meet the enemy face to face. Certain branches of the navy does of course. But they sit on the ships and the planes. Helping the soldiers who are fighting the nemy.

If you hate someone who has been to war, well... That is up to you.

TimM
02-13-2011, 12:10 PM
And it is shocking that you actually prefer a beautiful lie than the ugly truth as well. They are not risking their life in the same way at all.

Most of them are not diciplined.

IgnoreThisPlox
02-13-2011, 12:12 PM

And no the navy does not do that. They don't go meet the enemy face to face. Certain branches of the navy does of course. But they sit on the ships and the planes. Helping the soldiers who are fighting the nemy.

So all the naval men who died and gave their lives to the American cause are not men, but wimps and [color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color]?
I guess you didn't learn much respect when you put your life on the line...

TimM
02-13-2011, 12:13 PM
So all the naval men who died and gave their lives to the American cause are not men, but wimps and [color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color]?
I guess you didn't learn much respect when you put your life on the line...

First of all.. The "American" cause? You should not go to war for that. That is not freedom they are fighting for then.

I fought for freedom for the country I was stationed in, not for my country.

Achillies
02-13-2011, 12:18 PM

I don't ever recall saying I hated you. Please, tell me where I said that. And if it weren't for those "guys who hav it easier than any other armed force" providing support for those guys on land, those guys would be dead. No one armed force is better than another. They all help eachother in a different way.

Mad_Cow_Disease
02-13-2011, 12:18 PM

I'm assuming you have a "Semper Fi" tattoo on your arm...and another one on the back of your car, also not to mention it's probably your license plate frame. I congratulate you, you've been successfully brainwashed like every other marine.

TimM
02-13-2011, 12:19 PM
I don't ever recall saying I hated you. Please, tell me where I said that. And if it weren't for those "guys who hav it easier than any other armed force" providing support for those guys on land, those guys would be dead. No one armed force is better than another. They all help eachother in a different way.

True, the navy was a great help to me when fighting Taliban.

Anyways, I was never being rude, I just asked a question.

TimM
02-13-2011, 12:20 PM
I'm assuming you have a "Semper Fi" tattoo on your arm...and another one on the back of your car, also not to mention it's probably your license plate frame. I congratulate you, you've been successfully brainwashed like every other marine.

I don't have such a thing. I hate tattoos. I am not messing up my Audi with anything either. I hate violence. I love reading books. I am a peaceful person. Which is why I did what I did - went to war.

IgnoreThisPlox
02-13-2011, 12:21 PM

Are you so ignorant that you still cannot admit that saying the Navy "Doesn't make a man of you" is probably the rudest thing said in this thread?

TimM
02-13-2011, 12:24 PM
Are you so ignorant that you still cannot admit that saying the Navy "Doesn't make a man of you" is probably the rudest thing said in this thread?

Only if you have a problem with your sexuality already. Then I can see why it would hurt some.

rotNdude
02-13-2011, 12:25 PM
Any branch of the armed forces is risky business if all hell breaks loose. Think long and hard about it. While your life can be lost at any time for millions of reasons, war is hell.

http://www.ussindianapolis.org/story.htm

I would rather be stationed on land versus sea.

Mad_Cow_Disease
02-13-2011, 12:29 PM
This thread was started by a teenager who was looking for advice to set a big part of his life in motion. He came to these forums looking for positive reinforcement. Instead of tainting this thread with negative arguing, let's just keep the thread alive before it gets locked. And leave our personal opinions outside this forum.

TimM
02-13-2011, 12:31 PM
Indeed and that is why I asked why he wanted to join the navy. Still no answer.

Anasazi
02-13-2011, 12:32 PM

Are you joking? You learn a LOT of skills that are applicable to every day life in every branch of the military. The Army also manages half the schools you might attend no matter WHICH service you're in.

I was not rude. The navy is a lot easier. Most of them are undiciplined. They can sleep in. They even get delicious food and often 3 times a day.

But, yes, if you want an easier time you should go for that.

And yes, you are rude, I have not been.

No, actually we can't "sleep in". What a weird perception you have of the Navy. It's not some "do what you want, go OFP for half a year" program. It is actual work.
And the thing is, we have plenty of discipline, we just know how to mix it in with the work aspect so we're not sittin' there like we have sticks in our @@@es.

Stop generalizing. There are tons of Sailors who went and pounded the ground in Afghanistan and Iraq, Sailors who didn't sign up to do that but volunteered anyway, Sailors from ALL communities of the Navy, not just Specops or Seabees or HM's.

First of all.. The "American" cause? You should not go to war for that. That is not freedom they are fighting for then.

I fought for freedom for the country I was stationed in, not for my country.

Way to remember tradition and heritage. I'm really glad they taught you something besides how to wear a kevlar vest and clean an assault rifle.

sdaniels7114
02-13-2011, 12:33 PM
I didn't like the way the Navy dumped the guy who was in command of the Enterprise. I never served; but it seems to me that if you're a Captain or lower ranked like this guy and you have approval to do something from an Admiral you ought to be OK unless, of course, we're talking about a serious war crime.

All he did was produce a few less than PC videos that everyone on the ship loved and now his decades-long career is in tatters and it ain't like there's another Navy he can switch to. So far nobody above him has been punished. If you go to work for Valve and have a falling out with Gabe you can always go work for some other software company, that's not so in this guy's case.

TimM
02-13-2011, 12:34 PM
Not all people in the navy are undiciplined. I base it on the navy people I know and when I was stationed with them for a while. They could pretty much get out of bed whenever, eat whenever and they were also semi-chubby. I can't speak of the entire navy.

Me question still stands: Why do you feel like joining the navy.

I was not being rude, the people who replied was.

Anasazi
02-13-2011, 12:39 PM
I didn't like the way the Navy dumped the guy who was in command of the Enterprise. I never served; but it seems to me that if you're a Captain or lower ranked like this guy and you have approval to do something from an Admiral you ought to be OK unless, of course, we're talking about a serious war crime.

All he did was produce a few less than PC videos that everyone on the ship loved and now his decades-long career is in tatters and it ain't like there's another Navy he can switch to. So far nobody above him has been punished. If you go to work for Valve and have a falling out with Gabe you can always go work for some other software company, that's not so in this guy's case.

Not everyone loved it, and the way the Navy is now... They're taking a more staunch stance on drinking than before, boot camp is a lot easier, and if you're in a command and producing offensive videos like that you better believe you're going to take action. I KNOW he didn't have permission from an Admiral to produce offensive videos, and I KNOW not everyone on board "loved them". If you violate EO laws you better believe there's gonna be action taken against you.

Anasazi
02-13-2011, 12:42 PM
Not all people in the navy are undiciplined. I base it on the navy people I know and when I was stationed with them for a while. They could pretty much get out of bed whenever, eat whenever and they were also semi-chubby. I can't speak of the entire navy.

Me question still stands: Why do you feel like joining the navy.

I was not being rude, the people who replied was.

You were being extremely rude, disregarding the tradition and history of your service and others who volunteered.

I'm not gonna sit here and try to preach that the military is 100% pure and only ever does good things for worthwhile causes, or that ALL the soldiers, sailors and airmen have only ever worked towards a great, democracy fulfilling goal.
But the truth is, when you join, you ARE making personal sacrifices on some level, and you ARE helping keep the country free.
If nobody joined, then we'd probably go back to a draft system. Does that sound appealing? Probably not.

Mad_Cow_Disease
02-13-2011, 12:45 PM
How about we start keeping the peace, for the sake of this thread not being locked, shall we?

TimM
02-13-2011, 12:47 PM
You were being extremely rude, disregarding the tradition and history of your service and others who volunteered.

I'm not gonna sit here and try to preach that the military is 100% pure and only ever does good things for worthwhile causes, or that ALL the soldiers, sailors and airmen have only ever worked towards a great, democracy fulfilling goal.
But the truth is, when you join, you ARE making personal sacrifices on some level, and you ARE helping keep the country free.
If nobody joined, then we'd probably go back to a draft system. Does that sound appealing? Probably not.

The draft system is in fact extremely good. Helps diversity, not only are the ones who wants to go to war and fight, but also people who would never consider joining the army. Draftees are not forced into war either.

The military would benefit from it. As it would weed out the people who would love to go to war for the purpose of killing.

And no. There is a difference between being rude or someone else finding it offensive. You being offended of whatever I said is not me being rude, I dunno what offends you. That is just you being offended.

Don't worry though, Being offended or having hurt feelings usually takes from a few seconds to a few minutes to get over.

Anyways, my question still stands, my question which is on topic. Which I have been all along, but people keep talking about nothing to do with this topic.

My question:

Why do you wan to join the navy?

rotNdude
02-13-2011, 12:50 PM
But I told myself that if I was to join a branch of the Military, it would be the Navy for two reasons; I love the ocean and to keep a tradition in my family of at least one person from every generation to join the Navy. My grandfather, who I look up to very much served in the Korean War and my cousin is stationed in Italy right now.

Why do you wan to join the navy?

I think this was addressed in the first post?

Achillies
02-13-2011, 12:51 PM
True, the navy was a great help to me when fighting Taliban.

If you're going to act like an immature brat, I'm not going to pay the slightest bit of attention to you.

Here's an immature answer to go with your immature post: No ♥♥♥♥ the Navy couldn't help you fight the Taliban in Iraq. It's ♥♥♥♥ing land-locked. I didn't see any help from the Army in the Pacific Confilicts of WWII.

If you read the OP, it would explain why I want to be in the Navy, and not the Marines.

TimM
02-13-2011, 12:53 PM
I think this was addressed in the first post?

Well to be more exact then: Why the navy compared to any other branch as I am curious... Obviously... or I wouldn't have asked :)

If you're going to act like an immature brat, I'm not going to pay the slightest bit of attention to you.

Here's an immature answer to go with your immature post: No ♥♥♥♥ the Navy couldn't help you fight the Taliban in Iraq. It's ♥♥♥♥ing land-locked. I didn't see any help from the Army in the Pacific Confilicts of WWII.

If you read the OP, it would explain why I want to be in the Navy, and not the Marines.

No you are right, the navy didn't help me fight the taliban in... Iraq, but I simply answered in the same tone as others.

What fascinates you about the navy?

Mad_Cow_Disease
02-13-2011, 12:57 PM
I love the ocean and to keep a tradition in my family of at least one person from every generation to join the Navy. My grandfather, who I look up to very much served in the Korean War and my cousin is stationed in Italy right now.

Achillies

This has been quoted twice now, TimM. For someone who claims they like to read, you don't read quite well.

TimM
02-13-2011, 01:02 PM
This has been quoted twice now, TimM. For someone who claims they like to read, you don't read quite well.

I said I liked to read books and yes, I am aware of that. But usually there is something more to it. I mean it is a serious commitment.
When you are in the situation of being in the military/navy, you usually want more of a reason than loving the sea and someone fro mthe family once was in the service.

You are all so angry. For the respect I should have for people who have served and the respect you all say they deserve, it is funny to see you all lose it if someone says something wrong. So it must be some serious respect you people must have to service men considering a wrong word causes you to lose it all ;)

Mad_Cow_Disease
02-13-2011, 01:15 PM
If he wants to join the Navy out of tradition that should be a justified and logical enough reason to want to enlist. If it so happens it's not a good enough "reason" for you, then it becomes your problem, not his.

And how are we angry? I was just stating a fact in part of your responses. If you so happened to get offended, well again that's your problem, not mine.

And please, stop with the satiric humor. We know you have the ability to write 10-forum-pages with it, but it won't have any benefit for anybody. Obviously, your biased towards the Navy and any response from the thread author towards you will end up in a negative response.

Achillies
02-13-2011, 01:19 PM
Well to be more exact then: Why the navy compared to any other branch as I am curious... Obviously... or I wouldn't have asked :)

No you are right, the navy didn't help me fight the taliban in... Iraq, but I simply answered in the same tone as others.

What fascinates you about the navy?

TimM, please stop trolling this thread. It's been pointed out several times why I want to join the Navy over the other branches. And you are being rude and disrespecting the Navy. I'm asking nicely. Please.

TimM
02-13-2011, 01:19 PM
No, I am not having a problem with you being angry, I dunno you, hence I do not care.
I am asking because I am genuinly curious. Plus he posted about it, so obviously he wants to talk about it.
People are angry, not you maybe.

It is quite important to have a reason to want to be in the navy or military..... well, any career in general.

He posted and I am curious.

Achilles, they pointed something out, not you. My question was to you.
I am not trolling, I am asking.
Everytime I wrote here pretty much was when people replied to me, not the other way around.

Achillies
02-13-2011, 01:54 PM
If he wants to join the Navy out of tradition that should be a justified and logical enough reason to want to enlist. If it so happens it's not a good enough "reason" for you, then it becomes your problem, not his.

And how are we angry? I was just stating a fact in part of your responses. If you so happened to get offended, well again that's your problem, not mine.

And please, stop with the satiric humor. We know you have the ability to write 10-forum-pages with it, but it won't have any benefit for anybody. Obviously, your biased towards the Navy and any response from the thread author towards you will end up in a negative response.
+rep my friend. Thank you very much.

TimM
02-13-2011, 01:56 PM
+rep my friend. Thank you very much.

And plus rep for me for actually being interested in why you want to join the navy?

Or for that I was in war as you all says is something to respect?

And I am not your friend?

Well, I of course assume no. But still, I'd like an answer.

Spyider
02-13-2011, 01:57 PM
reach down and grab, join the Corps... Marine Corps Infantryman

its what i did 3 years ago and BAM here I am prouder than ever

Achillies
02-13-2011, 02:03 PM
reach down and grab, join the Corps... Marine Corps Infantryman

its what i did 3 years ago and BAM here I am prouder than ever

Dear Lord, not another one...

TimM
02-13-2011, 02:04 PM

Why do you talk bad about other branches, have some respect.

Also, my question:

Why'd you want to join the navy rather than say just for the love of water?

My +rep is missing.

Spyider
02-13-2011, 02:05 PM

Why? im just saying, when you do end up getting out after your 4 or maybe 20 years you will always wonder if you would of enjoyed the Marine Corps more, and maybe wonder if you had it in you.

Go big, or go home my friend.

TimM
02-13-2011, 02:16 PM
Why? im just saying, when you do end up getting out after your 4 or maybe 20 years you will always wonder if you would of enjoyed the Marine Corps more, and maybe wonder if you had it in you.

Thanks for serving. People in here doesn't appreciate a man who is willing to go to war.

Thank you.

notavirus.exe
02-13-2011, 02:18 PM

Thats funny, especially considering you don't have to enlist to get into the field. Just because people join a field, doesn't mean they will pass the exams and become certified.

As far as battleships go, thats a good bit of information. Why did they stop with them? What replaced them?

Achillies
02-13-2011, 02:37 PM

It's nothing against you, don't get me wrong. But TimM's been trolling my thread about how the Navy is for [color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color] and the only true way to serve your country is through the Marines. Thank you for serving, I meant no disrespect at all.

TimM
02-13-2011, 02:39 PM
It's nothing against you, don't get me wrong. But TimM's been trolling my thread about how the Navy is for [color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color] and the only true way to serve your country is through the Marines. Thank you for serving, I meant no disrespect at all.

I most certainly did not. I was not trolling you need to stop lying. You after all have been banned once. Not me. Stop lying. I am curious and helpful.

You need to apologize, I NEVER said they were [color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color].

Achillies
02-13-2011, 02:52 PM
I most certainly did not. I was not trolling you need to stop lying. You after all have been banned once. Not me. Stop lying. I am curious and helpful.

You need to apologize, I NEVER said they were [color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color].

You're right, you never said they were [color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color], you just implied that.

And how do you know I've been banned once?

TimM
02-13-2011, 02:54 PM
You're right, you never said they were [color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color], you just implied that.

And how do you know I've been banned once?

Because your very first post asked. You asked why you were banned on your previous account.

And I did not reply anything, nor have I ever lied nor have I trolled, you msut look up that term in order to actually use it.

rotNdude
02-13-2011, 02:55 PM

One thing to consider is that you are both trolling now and I'll ban both of you with the click of a button. If you don't understand this, PM me.

MasterOfDeceit
02-13-2011, 03:15 PM
Join the British one, it's better.

Achillies
02-13-2011, 03:16 PM

Wouldn't I need to be a citizen of England?

MrCrabs
02-13-2011, 03:21 PM

Yeah join us we just scrapped our only aircraft carrier (srsly why the ♥♥♥♥..)

MasterOfDeceit
02-13-2011, 03:37 PM
Really?

Not really, we scrapped our alliance of Harriers, de-commissioned a few carriers, but are bringing in a new one, which of course will have no aircraft.

My first post was a sarcastic joke...

Anasazi
02-13-2011, 04:29 PM
Thats funny, especially considering you don't have to enlist to get into the field. Just because people join a field, doesn't mean they will pass the exams and become certified.

As far as battleships go, thats a good bit of information. Why did they stop with them? What replaced them?

I'm not certain what you're talking about in your first statement.
To be a Cryptologic Technician, or get a rating of any kind in the Navy, you must enlist.
For such high demand/undermanned jobs, you can expect to sign a contract featuring an enlistment bonus and possibly a form stating you'll serve an additional two year commitment.
If you go to the school for your rating and are dropped, you'll probably lose your bonus and also that additional two year commitment. Depending on the circumstances of why you were released from the school, you may be able to negotiate orders to a school for a job that's equally undermanned/demanding (intellectually/physically, etc., and you'd get this if you showed you were trying to pass but just couldn't get it), or you might be sent to the fleet without a job doing deck seaman things (this happens more often to people who get DUI's and whatnot). The military WILL work with you if you show you're intelligent and can at least put in the effort, but they'll kick you to the ground if you break the law. :|

Also, long range land attack cruise missiles and ballistic missiles replaced Battleships. They were basically behemoths with giant cannons that would drop artillery on land targets. Then they made missiles that pack a bigger punch that they could fit onto Cruisers, Destroyers and Frigates, all smaller ships, most or all now with nuclear engines. Smaller ships are faster and have less of a profile for enemy missiles, require less people to operate... Yeah.

notavirus.exe
02-13-2011, 06:04 PM
I'm not certain what you're talking about in your first statement.
To be a Cryptologic Technician, or get a rating of any kind in the Navy, you must enlist.
For such high demand/undermanned jobs, you can expect to sign a contract featuring an enlistment bonus and possibly a form stating you'll serve an additional two year commitment.
If you go to the school for your rating and are dropped, you'll probably lose your bonus and also that additional two year commitment. Depending on the circumstances of why you were released from the school, you may be able to negotiate orders to a school for a job that's equally undermanned/demanding (intellectually/physically, etc., and you'd get this if you showed you were trying to pass but just couldn't get it), or you might be sent to the fleet without a job doing deck seaman things (this happens more often to people who get DUI's and whatnot). The military WILL work with you if you show you're intelligent and can at least put in the effort, but they'll kick you to the ground if you break the law. :|

This (http://www.cisr.us/scholarships.html) is one thing I am talking about.

As you can see with the one above, its a Naval Post grad school where you get paid + free tuition and are not required to enlist. There are other ways to work with the military branches and not be enlisted.

This ( http://www.nsa.gov/ia/academic_outreach/nat_cae/institutions.shtml) is according to the NSA of other schools you can go to.

Achillies
02-13-2011, 06:32 PM
Well, I'm glad this thread's getting back on topic.

So, is there a list of sorts that shows what jobs are available in the Navy?

Anasazi
02-13-2011, 06:35 PM
This (http://www.cisr.us/scholarships.html) is one thing I am talking about.

As you can see with the one above, its a Naval Post grad school where you get paid + free tuition and are not required to enlist. There are other ways to work with the military branches and not be enlisted.

This ( http://www.nsa.gov/ia/academic_outreach/nat_cae/institutions.shtml) is according to the NSA of other schools you can go to.

Damn, never knew the NPS offered that!

And, well working for NSA isn't really workin' for the Navy, but it is an option. You'd be paid well, and you do have to go through a single scope background investigation to get a security clearance. Also, in the military for the polygraph you just have to answer counter-intel questions like "Have you ever sold classified information" or "Are you doing anything shady with foreign governments?" The civilian polygraph is a personal lifestyle one... So that may be something to consider, too, though hopefully not as much.

Ah, really quick though. While it's true you can work for the Navy as a civilian (and they have some pretty awesome jobs), you don't get the same benefits, and you don't have the same opportunities to go sailing and everything.

Anasazi
02-13-2011, 06:41 PM
Well, I'm glad this thread's getting back on topic.

So, is there a list of sorts that shows what jobs are available in the Navy?

http://www.navy.com/careers.html

Has a pretty good overview. Definitely ask a recruiter about jobs you find interesting, though. They'll be able to give you more information about 95% of the jobs in the Navy, and good information, too, if they aren't just trying to match quotas.
The other 5%, seemingly nobody has a clue about until after you graduate from boot camp (which is good), so you'd have to find someone who's in one of those fields or related to try to get a general idea of what it entails (I'm talking mostly about "Intel Specialists", and Crypto Techs, etc.).

Sorry for all the doubleposting in the topic, I keep missing replies n junk...

marie pavie
02-13-2011, 06:42 PM
"In the Navy
You can do what you please"
Source:

(Sorry, I couldn't resist)

http://www.navy.com/navy/careers/

Dirtman73
02-13-2011, 06:49 PM
One of my best friends from high school lost his virginity on a naval sub. 3 months out at sea can make anybody restless.

Microshocky
02-13-2011, 07:00 PM
It's hilarious to see people insulting various branches of the military. We're all on the same side here in the US. The branches work together towards the same goals.

Navy is no better than the Air Force/Army/Marines/Coast Guard in terms of importance. I chose the Army because I like their job choices more and the size of the branch, and the potential to be able to command that.

Also, the army is the only branch that will GUARANTEE you the job you chose. No other branch does that.

slipperywhenwet
02-13-2011, 07:03 PM
I'm not going to give my opinion because I wish war would not exist. I know why we have it and why it's needed, I just wish we didn't have to have it at all.

ImBack87
02-13-2011, 07:06 PM
Joining the military is basically handing over your life to the people in power as if the government didn't have its ♥♥♥♥ up everyones ♥♥♥ as is. The saddest thing is that some people actually think they fight for their country and its freedom

Achillies
02-13-2011, 07:07 PM
http://www.navy.com/careers.html

Has a pretty good overview. Definitely ask a recruiter about jobs you find interesting, though. They'll be able to give you more information about 95% of the jobs in the Navy, and good information, too, if they aren't just trying to match quotas.
The other 5%, seemingly nobody has a clue about until after you graduate from boot camp (which is good), so you'd have to find someone who's in one of those fields or related to try to get a general idea of what it entails (I'm talking mostly about "Intel Specialists", and Crypto Techs, etc.).

Sorry for all the doubleposting in the topic, I keep missing replies n junk...
I don't mind the double posts, it happens to everyone. Thanks for the link.

One of my best friends from high school lost his virginity on a naval sub. 3 months out at sea can make anybody restless.

Microshocky
02-13-2011, 07:09 PM
Joining the military is basically handing over your life to the people in power as if the government didn't have its ♥♥♥♥ up everyones ♥♥♥ as is. The saddest thing is that some people actually think they fight for their country and its freedom

If everyone thought like you, there'd be no military protecting this country.

ImBack87
02-13-2011, 07:23 PM

This country doesn't need the kind of protection it currently has. Our annual military expense exceeds 500 billion dollars. No one is going to attack us, not any time soon anyway. Last time I checked, it was us who invaded sovereign countries in the middle east. We get our troops killed over nothing, nothing of value to the people of this country that is. Our troops go and die there because the guy in the white house says so, or do you really believe that Iraq and its government was a threat to us? We knew all along that they had no weapons of mass destruction.

Achillies
02-13-2011, 07:25 PM
This country doesn't need the kind of protection it currently has. Our annual military expense exceeds 500 billion dollars. No one is going to attack us, not any time soon anyway. Last time I checked, it was us who invaded sovereign countries in the middle east. We get our troops killed over nothing, nothing of value to the people of this country that is. Our troops go and die there because the guy in the white house says so, or do you really believe that Iraq and its government was a threat to us? We knew all along that they had no weapons of mass destruction.

We knew all along? Really? How did you know that there weren't any weapons of mass destruction there? You call up Saddam and ask him?

IcarusNine
02-13-2011, 07:25 PM
If everyone everyone (not a typo) thought like him, there'd be no militaries to threaten it either. There probably wouldn't be a lot of things he didn't agree with... And all of his mental clones would facepalm when society crumbles world-wide as a result.

(Is a society of mental clones a misnomer?)

Soldierman1945
02-13-2011, 07:52 PM
This country doesn't need the kind of protection it currently has. Our annual military expense exceeds 500 billion dollars.

Yes a little cut backs would be nice but don't forget, we're the world police. And no I'm not being sarcastic. When the U.S tries to stay out of wars they have a habit of becoming world wars.

No one is going to attack us, not any time soon anyway.
Because we have one of the most powerful military force in the world.

Last time I checked, it was us who invaded sovereign countries in the middle east.
Please don't say "we" like it's only the U.S. I shall give you a list of countries that were in Iraq:

United States of America
Slovakia
Lithuania
Italy
Norway
Hungary
Netherlands
Portugal
New Zealand:
Thailand:
Philippines
Honduras
Dominican Republic
Spain
Nicaragua
Iceland
Australia
United Kingdom
Romania
El Salvador
Estonia
Bulgaria
Moldova
Albania
Ukraine
Denmark
Czech Republic
South Korea
Japan
Tonga
Azerbaijan
Singapore
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Macedonia
Latvia
Poland
Kazakhstan
Armenia
Mongolia
Georgia

All those countries saw fit to invade Iraq and help them get rid of a dictatorship and set up a democratic government.

We get our troops killed over nothing, nothing of value to the people of this country that is.

So we should only use the military to benefit ourselves?

Our troops go and die there because the guy in the white house says so, or do you really believe that Iraq and its government was a threat to us?
Yes. That is why we elected him (or the electoral college did) and yes the soldier do. They join knowing full well that they might get sent to die in some foreign land.

We knew all along that they had no weapons of mass destruction.
Uhhh no we didn't.

Back to the OP: My Uncle was in the navy for 20 years and he gave me a few words of advice if I ever joined the Navy: Never serve on a sub. And the closer you get to the Pentagon, the more political everything gets.

maturin
02-13-2011, 07:56 PM
Army and Navy are apples and oranges. But I suggest just asking a recruiter when you get a little older.

Only the apple is much more likely to be laced with salmonella.

All those countries saw fit to invade Iraq and help them get rid of a dictatorship and set up a democratic government.

They invaded because we lied about weapons of mass destruction, you utter moron. At least try to keep the lies you swallow straight in one ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ post. Spread out your cognitive dissonance and blindingly obvious logical fallacies a bit, okay?

We knew all along? Really? How did you know that there weren't any weapons of mass destruction there? You call up Saddam and ask him?
Kazakhstan has enough WMD to kill the world five times over. No joke. When do we go?
Oh, and I think country X has WDM. I don't have any evidence so I'll fabricate it. When I'm wrong and have gotten a couple hundred thousand people killed, started a civil war and wrecked the infrastructure, economy, middle class and social peace of an entire country while wrecking regional stability, making the whole world hate me and rocketing a hostile theocracy to the status of regional hegemon while bankrupting myself, shouldn't I be arrested?

Achillies
02-13-2011, 08:26 PM
Only the apple is much more likely to be laced with salmonella.

They invaded because we lied about weapons of mass destruction, you utter moron. At least try to keep the lies you swallow straight in one ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ post. Spread out your cognitive dissonance and blindingly obvious logical fallacies a bit, okay?

Kazakhstan has enough WMD to kill the world five times over. No joke. When do we go?
Oh, and I think country X has WDM. I don't have any evidence so I'll fabricate it. When I'm wrong and have gotten a couple hundred thousand people killed, started a civil war and wrecked the infrastructure, economy, middle class and social peace of an entire country while wrecking regional stability, making the whole world hate me and rocketing a hostile theocracy to the status of regional hegemon while bankrupting myself, shouldn't I be arrested?

We've had enough political arguments on this thread, please stop. I don't want it to get locked because a few guys are like "ZOMG ANARCHY! THE GOVERNMENT IS TRYING TO KILL US!" So could we cut the arguing please?

But to answer the thing about Kazakhstan, not every country in the Middle East is our mortal enemy. And if you want to get technical, I could get "offended" because I have Middle Eastern heritage and could call you a racist because you're generalizing all of those countries. The only county that has openly stated their dislike for America is Iran.

But please, I don't want to start this up.

Anasazi
02-13-2011, 08:58 PM
Also, the army is the only branch that will GUARANTEE you the job you chose. No other branch does that.

Not true.
When you enlist in the Navy, the Rating you're enlisting for, the Bonus you'll be receiving, and you'll sign any additional stipulations (such as contract extensions, forms for volunteering for air/submarine duty, etc.) will be in your contract. If at any time something comes up, you can refuse to sign it and won't be forced to enlist. You're never going to be surprised with any last minute submarine orders; submariners and aircrew members have to complete a fairly long screening process for it.

As for the USAF/USMC... Well it's been a few years, I'm not too certain if they still do it this way, but in 2006, the system was:
Air Force: You made a list of jobs you were interested in, they would pick one that they needed you to do and send you to the school for that.
USMC: Specific Jobs fell under broader fields, you chose a field you were interested in and then they would train you in a more specific job for it.

☭Comяade Яed☭
02-13-2011, 09:39 PM
Not true.
When you enlist in the Navy, the Rating you're enlisting for, the Bonus you'll be receiving, and you'll sign any additional stipulations (such as contract extensions, forms for volunteering for air/submarine duty, etc.) will be in your contract. If at any time something comes up, you can refuse to sign it and won't be forced to enlist. You're never going to be surprised with any last minute submarine orders; submariners and aircrew members have to complete a fairly long screening process for it.

As for the USAF/USMC... Well it's been a few years, I'm not too certain if they still do it this way, but in 2006, the system was:
Air Force: You made a list of jobs you were interested in, they would pick one that they needed you to do and send you to the school for that.
USMC: Specific Jobs fell under broader fields, you chose a field you were interested in and then they would train you in a more specific job for it.
Yeah but the Army also doesn't have undesignated soldiers.

If you join the Navy stay in school! Don't be like me :(

Anasazi
02-13-2011, 10:01 PM
Yeah but the Army also doesn't have undesignated soldiers.

If you join the Navy stay in school! Don't be like me :(

Well, an undesignated sailor is just a straight up sailor.
If you do flunk out of school and get sent to the fleet, or you join as undesignated, you can after a time "strike for another rate" (aka, put in papers for a new job). But yeah, definitely try your hardest at the school. Not only can you get a nice award if you excel at your studies and are top in your class, but you typically get first pick of orders if you do well.

Achillies
02-14-2011, 06:40 AM
Well, an undesignated sailor is just a straight up sailor.
If you do flunk out of school and get sent to the fleet, or you join as undesignated, you can after a time "strike for another rate" (aka, put in papers for a new job). But yeah, definitely try your hardest at the school. Not only can you get a nice award if you excel at your studies and are top in your class, but you typically get first pick of orders if you do well.

What exactly does "undesignated" mean?

☭Comяade Яed☭
02-14-2011, 08:00 AM

Undesignated means you don't have a rating. It sucks because you can't hit E-4 without one, and normally the work as an undesignated is really hard since you go to a ship's deck department (but I managed to get out of that part).

Mad_Cow_Disease
02-14-2011, 11:47 AM

Basically to sum up what everyone is saying, is to make sure you're contracted a job/rate before going off to boot-camp. When a recruiter takes you to MEPS (forgot what it stands for) they will process your ASVAB score and decide what jobs/rates are available based on your score.

One thing that's shady about the recruiting process, however, is that jobs that may be "available" or "not available" is largely dependent on the immediate attrition rate of that job. For example, if the Navy just recruited a bunch of Intelligence Specialists (IS), and in the immediate future they just saw a lot of IS's who just finished there 4-years and are re-enlisting, they may say the IS rate is "not available" because it's technically "overstaffed". Likewise, if a job/rate just saw a bunch of 4-years leaving the Navy, and if they haven't recruited enough people to fill the quota for that job/rate, the recruiters are more likely to persuade you to choose that rate/job.

Essentially, if your ASVAB score qualifies you for a job that you specifically want, don't let the recruiters at MEPS tell you otherwise. Similar to a car salesman, they'll eventually give you what you want.

Ghostwriter
02-14-2011, 11:57 AM
Cya... some people prefer to think for themselves and avoid that jazz; VOLUNTARY and brainwashed.

Anasazi
02-14-2011, 12:41 PM
Adding on to what Mad Cow Disease is saying, the best time to shop for jobs is the beginning of the fiscal year (October). If you can go to MEPS then, you'll get a better range of jobs. Again, it also depends on your ASVAB scores.
You can enlist at age 17 with parental consent and go into the Delayed Entry Program. If you do that, you can get a guaranteed ship date and rating, and decide if you want to change your jobs before going to bootcamp, you can do that, too.

FгедкѕнФш
02-14-2011, 12:44 PM
I'm almost 19, and I'm planning on joining the Canadian Navy as either a Hull technician or a Marine Engineering Mechanic. I want something that will get me a job as a civy should I choose to leave the military.

My grand pa was in the navy for roughly 30 years. He was a chief petty officer 3rd class (I think) when he left. He was also some kind of secret agent (no joke) I remember him saying something about Nato level 7 or something. (he was allowed to carry a concealed weapon in foreign countries) But I remember him telling me this one story where he was stationed in France, undercover, doing surveillance. Someone knocked on his hotel room door, and it was two burly French guys. They roughed them up but he managed to get away to a waiting car. Scary ♥♥♥♥ right there. \

Anyways, back in the day he was getting his military pay, his Nato pay, and some kind of hazard pay. And now he's got 2 pensions. So I'd say he's doing pretty good.

Microshocky
02-14-2011, 01:52 PM
Officially DEP'd into the Army today. 11X for 3 years. I was going to be an intelligence analyst but i want to have the experience of being a soldier before i'm going to be behind a desk.

Anasazi
02-14-2011, 02:31 PM
Officially DEP'd into the Army today. 11X for 3 years. I was going to be an intelligence analyst but i want to have the experience of being a soldier before i'm going to be behind a desk.

If you can change, do it.
In the Army, everyone is a soldier...

sdaniels7114
02-14-2011, 06:06 PM

Congrats, and if they should send you into a war zone remember to keep your head DOWN.

Microshocky
02-15-2011, 04:33 AM
If you can change, do it.
In the Army, everyone is a soldier...

I think if i live thru this (which i will), that I'm going to have an upper hand over anyone in any career field i choose afterwards.

If i go with military intelligence, i'll have that frontline experience and know more about what to do and the enemy.

CreepingJeff
02-15-2011, 08:51 AM

I swore in yesterday too, 68W Healthcare Specialist (medic). Where's your basic?

Microshocky
02-15-2011, 12:26 PM
I swore in yesterday too, 68W Healthcare Specialist (medic). Where's your basic?

Oh nice job man :) My basic training is in Fort Benning, Georgia. It's this August.

Anasazi
02-15-2011, 12:44 PM
I think if i live thru this (which i will), that I'm going to have an upper hand over anyone in any career field i choose afterwards.

If i go with military intelligence, i'll have that frontline experience and know more about what to do and the enemy.

Seriously, if you qualify for an intelligence field, you will be even that much more qualified for a civilian/government job if you decide to get out.
Being infantry might be cool for the military, but you won't have as many options afterwards (doing private security, police force would be an option, etc.).
But if you can get an intel field, not only would you qualify for those security/police jobs, you'd be able to apply for national security jobs, too, which are higher paying/lower risk.
And it doesn't matter what job you have in ANY branch of the military, there are ALWAYS options to deploy to Afghanistan or Iraq and get combat experience, using your specific set of skills on top of that. It makes advancement within your MOS/Rating that much easier when you do such a deployment.

Just something to keep in mind. Why limit yourself to just toting a gun when you can gain even more valuable skills and then go and tote a gun AND use those skills in the field instead of a classroom?

Microshocky
02-15-2011, 12:53 PM
Seriously, if you qualify for an intelligence field, you will be even that much more qualified for a civilian/government job if you decide to get out.
Being infantry might be cool for the military, but you won't have as many options afterwards (doing private security, police force would be an option, etc.).
But if you can get an intel field, not only would you qualify for those security/police jobs, you'd be able to apply for national security jobs, too, which are higher paying/lower risk.
And it doesn't matter what job you have in ANY branch of the military, there are ALWAYS options to deploy to Afghanistan or Iraq and get combat experience, using your specific set of skills on top of that. It makes advancement within your MOS/Rating that much easier when you do such a deployment.

Just something to keep in mind. Why limit yourself to just toting a gun when you can gain even more valuable skills and then go and tote a gun AND use those skills in the field instead of a classroom?

I'm not planning on leaving the military. And right now, i'm planning to go from infantry into military intelligence after these 3 years.

Anasazi
02-15-2011, 02:42 PM
I'm not planning on leaving the military. And right now, i'm planning to go from infantry into military intelligence after these 3 years.

I don't understand the point of crossing over later when you can get a headstart from the get go.
You'll be doing the same thing but learn better skills from the beginning.
Not only that, you'd probably get a better enlistment bonus.

Microshocky
02-15-2011, 04:33 PM
I don't understand the point of crossing over later when you can get a headstart from the get go.

My enlistment bonus was better for intelligence analyst, but what's a couple of thousand dollars in the long run?

I want to do this early on in my military career, while i'm still reaching my physical prime, and not waste that on a desk job.
Infantry also has the benefits of much faster promotions. There's not that many intel analysts in the army, but a lot of infantry, so i would be E-5, E-6 within two years.

Ultima V|RUZ
02-15-2011, 04:40 PM
I'd like to just throw in there (even though it was already mentioned). Despite any negatives I can think up, the retirement benefits for the military are ridiculously good.

If I joined the military I'd never leave. Good thing I sell insurance!

Anasazi
02-15-2011, 04:48 PM
My enlistment bonus was better for intelligence analyst, but what's a couple of thousand dollars in the long run?

I want to do this early on in my military career, while i'm still reaching my physical prime, and not waste that on a desk job.
Infantry also has the benefits of much faster promotions. There's not that many intel analysts in the army, but a lot of infantry, so i would be E-5, E-6 within two years.

... You're wrong.

If you want to make a career out of it, intelligence specialist is the way to go BECAUSE it's such a limited community.
You WILL deploy in the Army, no matter what you are. You could be a friggin' dog crap scooper, you will deploy. Or you can ask to deploy, and guess what? They won't turn you down!

Gah.
Ok nevermind, I'm glad you're going Infantry first, hopefully you like it.
Nevermind the fact that in the Army, a force of SOLDIERS, you will be trained in combatives and basic first aid, and on how to fire a rifle and pistol, and maintain it properly. Everybody learns that. Except hey, now you've done the basic training AND get an extra unique set of skills.
A deployment for intelligence specialist is so much more badass than a deployment than one for regular infantry.

I just don't understand your logic.
You're not "stuck at a desk" for your whole career if you take a job that requires more intelligence and I feel bad for anyone who thinks that. If you join the military there is a 99% chance you will deploy at one time or another, be it out to ships or out to the desert.
And if you don't want to waste the prime of your physical life, why would you do just straight infantry? You will wear your knees out in a handful of months because of all the equipment.

And a few thousand dollars is a LOT to begin with, you can do quite a bit with it. Even if you don't do anything with it, having it in a savings account is better than nothing.
Put it towards your retirement.
Put it towards a new car.
Put it into a two year investment and when that matures, take out a home loan from the VA.

Blah I'm gonna lose my mind here.

Microshocky
02-15-2011, 04:53 PM
... You're wrong.

If you want to make a career out of it, intelligence specialist is the way to go BECAUSE it's such a limited community.
You WILL deploy in the Army, no matter what you are. You could be a friggin' dog crap scooper, you will deploy. Or you can ask to deploy, and guess what? They won't turn you down!

Gah.
Ok nevermind, I'm glad you're going Infantry first, hopefully you like it.
Nevermind the fact that in the Army, a force of SOLDIERS, you will be trained in combatives and basic first aid, and on how to fire a rifle and pistol, and maintain it properly. Everybody learns that. Except hey, now you've done the basic training AND get an extra unique set of skills.
A deployment for intelligence specialist is so much more badass than a deployment than one for regular infantry.

I just don't understand your logic.
You're not "stuck at a desk" for your whole career if you take a job that requires more intelligence and I feel bad for anyone who thinks that. If you join the military there is a 99% chance you will deploy at one time or another, be it out to ships or out to the desert.
And if you don't want to waste the prime of your physical life, why would you do just straight infantry? You will wear your knees out in a handful of months because of all the equipment.

And a few thousand dollars is a LOT to begin with, you can do quite a bit with it. Even if you don't do anything with it, having it in a savings account is better than nothing.
Put it towards your retirement.
Put it towards a new car.
Put it into a two year investment and when that matures, take out a home loan from the VA.

Blah I'm gonna lose my mind here.

I'm making a career out of the Army, and i want to go for infantry first. I want to BE the Army. Infantry is the Army. Everything else supports the infantry.

Later on, if i don't like the job, i will re-enlist into an intelligence MOS.

Anasazi
02-15-2011, 05:00 PM
I just don't understand. You're willing to forego some extremely unique opportunities, gain access to some far out information, learn a TON of skills that will go a lot further than basic infantry training... to go through basic infantry training, a course everyone goes to... and that's it?

The Army isn't "infantry" only, the Army is... everyone in serving in the Army. Wouldn't you rather be the guy who, even at E3 or E4 level, can be gathering intel that will affect HOW the soldiers move, instead of just the guy who sits in a Hummer all day doing nothing?

Microshocky
02-15-2011, 05:07 PM
I just don't understand. You're willing to forego some extremely unique opportunities, gain access to some far out information, learn a TON of skills that will go a lot further than basic infantry training... to go through basic infantry training, a course everyone goes to... and that's it?

The Army isn't "infantry" only, the Army is... everyone in serving in the Army. Wouldn't you rather be the guy who, even at E3 or E4 level, can be gathering intel that will affect HOW the soldiers move, instead of just the guy who sits in a Hummer all day doing nothing?

I'd rather have the true army experience first before i move onto something else in the Army. And when later on, i choose to be an intel analyst again, i'll have the upper hand over any other analyst cause i would have first hand experience.

Anasazi
02-15-2011, 05:10 PM
I'd rather have the true army experience first before i move onto something else in the Army. And when later on, i choose to be an intel analyst again, i'll have the upper hand over any other analyst cause i would have first hand experience.

Everyone in the Army deploys, or at least goes overseas somewhere. You won't have more experience than 80% of the people that have been in the field and you'll actually be behind the curve.

xX_Renegade_Xx
02-15-2011, 05:19 PM
Ex-British Army myself, 21 years ago and I'd go back tomorrow if I wasn't too old.

It's a good life OP and I wish you well :D

Microshocky
02-15-2011, 05:21 PM
Everyone in the Army deploys, or at least goes overseas somewhere. You won't have more experience than 80% of the people that have been in the field and you'll actually be behind the curve.

Deploying just means you'll be out in Afghanistan or whatever country.

Infantry are the people going out from the base.

Anasazi
02-15-2011, 05:22 PM
Deploying just means you'll be out in Afghanistan or whatever country.

Infantry are the people going out from the base.

You're impossible.
Who told you this information??

Mad_Cow_Disease
02-15-2011, 05:25 PM

I completely agree with what Anasazi has been stating. Similar to the civilian sector it's easier to start at the top and transition your way down, instead of starting at a low-level position and working your way up.

If being a "soldier" is what you're all about, I doubt you'll want to stay in Infantry you're entire 20 years. I'm sure you're at least going to strive to became a Ranger, or even higher and go through the SOF program. And these programs accept applicants from any MOS. And actually, anybody from intelligence would have an upper hand because it's already saying "Look at me, I had a high ASVAB score and have the mental aptitude to be in SOF".

If anything else, if someone goes intelligence in any military branch and civilian, they'll be giving you a Top Secret clearance. That's at least a $30,000 investment that both military and civilians sectors see as a major benefit. Even just a small minority of the military barely even has access to a Secret Clearance.

We're not trying to persuade you to completely change your whole outlook of the Army, but we're really trying to give you honest advice with a "I've been there" mentality.

Microshocky
02-15-2011, 05:27 PM
You're impossible.
Who told you this information??

cough. What are you trying to get from me? I'm not changing my MOS. I've made my mind up. I'll be infantry.

Infantry is the Army. 11X is what it's made out of, and every other MOS simply supports their jobs.

You think intelligence analysts fight out on in the field? No. That's what I want to do. Military intelligence is what i'll be choosing when I do my re-enlistment contract in two years.

Anasazi
02-15-2011, 05:29 PM
cough. What are you trying to get from me? I'm not changing my MOS. I've made my mind up. I'll be infantry.

Infantry is the Army. 11X is what it's made out of, and every other MOS simply supports their jobs.

You think intelligence analysts fight out on in the field? No.

I don't think, I know.
Mad Cow knows, too, I'm sure.

Things are a lot clearer when you're on the inside.
Plus like he said, that TS clearance alone is the most valuable thing you can get from the military, sometimes even more so than a degree. It costs a lot of money and takes a lot of time, and the sooner you get it, the less chance you have of being disqualified for it after three years in the infantry.

Microshocky
02-15-2011, 05:33 PM
I don't think, I know.
Mad Cow knows, too, I'm sure.

Things are a lot clearer when you're on the inside.
Plus like he said, that TS clearance alone is the most valuable thing you can get from the military, sometimes even more so than a degree. It costs a lot of money and takes a lot of time, and the sooner you get it, the less chance you have of being disqualified for it after three years in the infantry.

I'm not a rowdy person, I don't drink or do drugs or get into legal trouble. That top secret clearance will be there for me. Also, i dont have my citizenship. I "have" it but i have no proof of it and don't want to delay my process because of it. I was considering infantry long before anyway.

The military will process that all for free and get it to me within like 3 months or something? So unless there's some way for me to get that citizenship while im still in training and instantly switch MOS's, i'm staying.

Mad_Cow_Disease
02-15-2011, 05:43 PM
That top secret clearance will be there for me.

Just some side info, and to add what I said earlier...clearances are only given out to those who need them. The movies aren't kidding when they paraphrase "The need to know". So they don't give clearances to everybody in the military, only those with jobs that REQUIRE it, and that's basically only anybody in Intelligence.

Just for some side proof... check out www.clearedjobs.net > choose job seeker > for clearance put Secret, ignore location and category, then hit search. Do the same thing but put Top Secret/SCI for your clearance. Look and compare the job types available for the different clearances and you'll see the opportunities and heavily favored for those with TS clearances.

Microshocky
02-15-2011, 05:46 PM
Just some side info, and to add what I said earlier...clearances are only given out to those who need them. The movies aren't kidding when they paraphrase "The need to know". So they don't give clearances to everybody in the military, only those with jobs that REQUIRE it, and that's basically only anybody in Intelligence.

Just for some side proof... check out www.clearedjobs.net > choose job seeker > for clearance put Secret, ignore location and category, then hit search. Do the same thing but put Top Secret/SCI for your clearance. Look and compare the job types available for the different clearances and you'll see the opportunities and heavily favored for those with TS clearances.

I'll only have citizenship after im in basic. And yes i know that TS clearances are only for jobs that need it, i never said otherwise. I meant that when I go for my Intel Analyst job in the future, itll be there.

But right now, I WANT to be infantry and im happy that my sudden lack of citizenship pushed me towards it.

Anasazi
02-15-2011, 05:51 PM
WELL In that case I'm sorry for bein' a ♥♥♥♥♥♥ about pushing you so hard.
And you should be able to apply for a security job within your first contract and sign an extension.

Mad_Cow_Disease
02-15-2011, 05:55 PM
And like I said earlier...

We're not trying to persuade you to completely change your whole outlook of the Army, but we're really trying to give you honest advice with a "I've been there" mentality.

But honestly good luck with what your future holds. We're only here to offer educated opinions about military decisions and not to make decisions for you. But also to cut out some of the bullsh*t that recruiters or ill-informed people might say. So if you have any questions that might pop up in the future, we'll be here.

AlecJ32
02-15-2011, 06:32 PM
I would say that it would be wise to listen to Mad Cow Disease and Anasazi and their input. I also feel as though it would be wise to jump on an opportunity like being an Intelligence Analyst. Anybody and their Grandma can get the 'real Army experience', but by entering as an Intelligence Analyst you'd be getting the 'real Army experience' and then some.

Microshocky
02-15-2011, 06:40 PM
....I can't choose intelligence analyst. I'm not a US Citizen yet. I will be once i'm in the military and then I will see my options about it. I still got the job I wanted and that's infantry.