PDA

View Full Version : Modern Warfare 2 Ban

Amunak
02-13-2011, 02:26 AM
Hello, I have contacted Steam support and because I trus I'll know nothing like always, I'm going to re-post here and I want to ask you if you have encountered the same thing as me.

I think there must be tons of people getting banned this way (I have encountered this two times in my total gameplay) and it is not possible that Valve does nothing about it.

I know that you probably don't trust me but I don't care about that, so please if you don't have something relevant don't even post.

Another thing - sorry for my bad english.

This is the original message post to Steam Support:
Hello,
I have noticed that I have been banned on Modern Warfare 2. I don't know about any cheats on my computer and I am sure there are none. It is only my computer and I use really hard-to-guess 20 characters long password. I have never borrowed my Steam account to somebody. I use firewall, anti-virus software, etc. and after full scan I found nothing. Moreover, I use the computer only for gaming so there is no chance of malware or viruses to be on my computer.

In game, I noticed weird thing. Sometimes it happens to me that I join a game where probably some cheater is hosting. It happened to me (and also my friend which still doesn't have ban) that a progress bar appears on screen and it says "giving all levels" or something like that. Then in menu I see that I have everything, levels, guns, .... everything. So I turned on Prestige mode because I like exping and going through game.

I think that this ban is a mistake - respectivelly, I can't do anything about it. Please if you think your VAC is that great, try first to test it or something. As you probably know, MW2 is even with VAC full of cheaters and now it bans also normal players.

Some time ago, on my old account (CS: Source) I was cheating ang get banned. Since that I never cheated because I know it is really annoying to buy the game again.

Only thing I want (and everyone wants if writes to you about this thing :)) is being unbanned.

Thanks for response, Amunak.

Silicon Vampire
02-13-2011, 02:37 AM
Accounts are not banned for joining modded servers.

EnemyLinez3
02-13-2011, 02:39 AM
lol love the bit where you said you did cheat.

Once a cheater always a cheater, enjoy your ban edit: second ban :D

Amunak
02-13-2011, 04:24 AM
Accounts are not banned for joining modded servers.

I thought that too. It is true for Source games, but what about the MW2? I think it is possible for a host to hack its clients. Otherwise I cannot imagine how can host give you levels and things like that.

You know that MW2 has many vulnerabilities and this is not really impossible, is it?

The other thing is that VAC works (AFAIK) with imprints of hacks so I don't know how can be my client modified. On the other hand, how it detects enabled console for example? I think it is not possible to detect enabled console by imprints.

Edit: By the way I encountered this on some Alien Swarm server too, it was giving achievements and level and I'm not banned there. AFAIK there are also TF2 servers for giving achievements.

eram
02-13-2011, 04:28 AM
You can not be banned for joining modified (hacked) mw2 servers.

Amunak
02-13-2011, 04:32 AM
How can I be banned then? I think I have made all needed steps to be secure and while playing, I haven't encountered any other problems or suspicious behaviour of the game.

eram
02-13-2011, 04:34 AM
We have no idea, this is the community forum, Users helping other users.

We have no info about individual VAC bans. Only support can assist with a VAC ban.

Glowhyena
02-13-2011, 12:40 PM
I joined a few hacked servers, I didn't get banned. But one of them increased my rank to 70 quickly. It's so annoying.

ChaosBahamut
02-13-2011, 02:09 PM
Just out of curiosity, did you by any chance install ANY custom content for MW2? If so, that would explain your ban as IW didn't want MW2 to be modded in any way. And yes, that would include hosting modded private servers. (like the infamous Zombie servers)

If it were truly a mistake (and it has happened before, but only twice), it'll be revoked. If not, I'm afraid it's gonna stick.

Neithan
02-13-2011, 05:19 PM
I have noticed that I have been banned on Modern Warfare 2. [..] Some time ago, on my old account (CS: Source) I was cheating ang get banned.

Smells like bad karma, dude.. ^^

Anyway, as said before modded server doesn't get you banned, and even if it says "in dubi pro reo", I say who used cheats in the past is likely to use them again, stupid people never learn.. :P

Nekomancer
02-13-2011, 05:50 PM
Did you use any kind of modification outside of manual editing config files (this is the only kind of allowed modification of MW2)?

themires
02-13-2011, 11:51 PM
Did you use any kind of modification outside of manual editing config files (this is the only kind of allowed modification of MW2)?

did you download any kind of mod for the game .. what did you download to mod this game? just tell use.. we will help you get through this.

Amunak
02-14-2011, 05:55 AM
Wow. Now I'm at home and I tried MW2 MP and it opens console and says cheat detected. Why the hack it opened console? Or is it normal behaviour while 'cheat is detected'?

Just out of curiosity, did you by any chance install ANY custom content for MW2? If so, that would explain your ban as IW didn't want MW2 to be modded in any way. And yes, that would include hosting modded private servers. (like the infamous Zombie servers)

If it were truly a mistake (and it has happened before, but only twice), it'll be revoked. If not, I'm afraid it's gonna stick.

No, that's the weird part, I have clean MW2 from Christmas. The only thing that 'interacts' with game is Mumble (overlay in game) and maybe xFire.
Other thing, I have moved whole Steam folder, meshed with disks names, backed it up, etc. but I don't think it can be a reason for ban because it doesen't (at least it shouldn't) alter the game in any way.

Smells like bad karma, dude.. ^^

Anyway, as said before modded server doesn't get you banned, and even if it says "in dubi pro reo", I say who used cheats in the past is likely to use them again, stupid people never learn.. :P

You know I learnt. I think everyone tried cheats, at least in sp game. You can look I have many games on my account and really don't want to have ban on any of them.

Also, I have response from support, it is the stupid pattern it says that I have been banned and it has been confirmed that it was a cheat and things like that. Does they even read the text people are sending them?

I'm afraid that I'll now have to really alter the game because I want to play MP. I have realised that this game is good, although I didn't thought it about previous CoD's.

GentleBeing
02-14-2011, 06:06 AM
I have many games on my account and really don't want to have ban on any of them.

Luckily for you, MW2 bans effect only MW2, you are free to play TF2, CSS or whatever you usually play, just not MW2. And MW2 is a rubbish game full of hackers anyways.

TimppaPro
02-14-2011, 11:55 AM
The fact that he has cheated before does not mean necessary that he has cheated this time - in fact, if he would be lying, WHY would he tell about his previous bans?

Anyways, the steam support indeed never tells you the reason of your ban, they can only confirm that you have been really banned.

There is chance of false positive (corrupted update, etc), but it is very, very unlikely and if it would've happened, it would usually be noticed in few days (because there would be thousands of players banned by them.)

Well, I can't help you more anyways. I hope you get the thing solved, or at least the reason for the ban. Only things I can think of is if you used any skins or mods, or possible gave your password to a phishing site that looked exactly like the steam homepage.

Oh, and do not apologise your English. At least you have better grammar than 95% of the people posting topics to the VAC forums - maybe that is why it isn't locked already.

Have luck. :D

Silicon Vampire
02-14-2011, 12:55 PM
Sticky: Valve Anti-Cheat: Information Thread (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1385172)

From the support FAQ pages (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_search.php?searchwords=VAC):

Please read up on VAC, in the above thread and in the support section (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_search.php?searchwords=vac]Support FAQ on VAC).

These forums can not help with VAC ban issues. Contacting support is your only option.

Drag0nZorD!
02-14-2011, 03:16 PM
in fact, if he would be lying, WHY would he tell about his previous bans?

why not?

Amunak
02-15-2011, 11:03 AM
Thank you, TimppaPro. I have checked computer for viruses again and it found nothing (I use MS Security Essentials). I haven't modded the game in any way and I really don't believe sites like "Steam gives two free games, just choose" :)

The truth is that MW2 ban is "great" because it bans only mw2, but I paid a lot of money for the game (it is a lot for me, I am a student) and can't play it. Also I hate the "Bans on record" message on my profile page.

why not?

Because only idiot (or in this case very rich person) makes one mistake twice.

Fyndir
02-15-2011, 11:41 AM
Also, I have response from support, it is the stupid pattern it says that I have been banned and it has been confirmed that it was a cheat and things like that. Does they even read the text people are sending them?

I don't really follow your logic here, you contacted support, they replied that the ban is legitimate, what about that makes you think that they didn't read what you sent them? :confused:

Amunak
02-15-2011, 11:02 PM
I don't really follow your logic here, you contacted support, they replied that the ban is legitimate, what about that makes you think that they didn't read what you sent them? :confused:

Because they always send you the same message :)

Karr-Man
02-16-2011, 01:55 AM
Because they always send you the same message :)

yes in business its called a form letter. im sure support gets a ton of messages each day from banned ppl claiming they didnt cheat. even if they only take 5 minutes to compose each reply that time adds up and costs money. its much more cost effective to have template replies for common messages.

aboveyou
02-16-2011, 01:59 AM
another one bites the deserving, lying, dust.

Silicon Vampire
02-16-2011, 02:10 AM
another one bites the deserving, lying, dust.

Behaviour in the VAC forum - a fair warning:

Trolling in the VAC forum will not be tolerated. Please do not post unless you have something constructive to add to a topic. Many issues relating to VAC are not ban related, so don't treat every thread as such.

If a user posts that they have been VAC banned it is not an excuse to ignore the FORUM RULES AND GUIDELINES (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=651173).

Amunak
02-16-2011, 06:42 AM
yes in business its called a form letter. im sure support gets a ton of messages each day from banned ppl claiming they didnt cheat. even if they only take 5 minutes to compose each reply that time adds up and costs money. its much more cost effective to have template replies for common messages.

I know what you think but I don't like it. Anyway, I can do nothing.

Thanks for all replies, I'm just sad that I still don't know why I was banned. In theor it can happen again (with another game) and that would be very bad.

Ganger
02-16-2011, 07:34 AM
No, that's the weird part, I have clean MW2 from Christmas. The only thing that 'interacts' with game is Mumble (overlay in game) and maybe xFire.

Sorry for questioning this but you say 'I have clean MW2 from Christmas'. Does this mean you bought MW2 at christmas time or did you mod MW2 before christmas time and stopped at christmas ?

jaboy
02-16-2011, 08:29 AM
I use really hard-to-guess 20 characters long password.

it do not matter if you use a 20 or 52 characters long password, if you have a key logger on your com.

or if you have used your acc on an other com, like your friends or a cyber cafe (or whats its called) the key logger cloud be there.

Amunak
02-16-2011, 08:48 AM
Sorry for questioning this but you say 'I have clean MW2 from Christmas'. Does this mean you bought MW2 at christmas time or did you mod MW2 before christmas time and stopped at christmas ?
It means I bought it at christmas, I'm not an idiot :-D

it do not matter if you use a 20 or 52 characters long password, if you have a key logger on your com.

or if you have used your acc on an other com, like your friends or a cyber cafe (or whats its called) the key logger cloud be there.

Of course, but I log in only from my computer at home and from my father's computer. Both have anti-virus software and are periodically tested. Also, the account doesen't seem hacked - I think that most hacks changes your password at first.
Moreover, on my father's computer I don't play MW2 (and I played it on christmas so the ban is probably from the time I am playing on my computer).

jaboy
02-16-2011, 09:11 AM
a way to test if someone is on your acc is if your write down the "play time" of all your games if they rise whitout you doing it, then you know someone is on your acc :p

LesMoore
02-16-2011, 09:35 AM
I know what you think but I don't like it. Anyway, I can do nothing.

Thanks for all replies, I'm just sad that I still don't know why I was banned. In theor it can happen again (with another game) and that would be very bad.

I wish you luck with this issue and please read the links that Silicon posted in regards to Vac bans. One thing to keep in mind is that vac does not ban for no reason..it is a cheat punishment system. Somewhere along the line you were flagged by Vac and it eventually caught up with you, thus you being banned. I just don't understand how after being caught cheating once, you would go that path again, but that's me. These games aren't cheap and you are just throwing the benjamin's out the window by even going that route. Good luck with your issue and hope it can be resolved to your satisfaction

Amunak
02-16-2011, 11:44 AM
a way to test if someone is on your acc is if your write down the "play time" of all your games if they rise whitout you doing it, then you know someone is on your acc :p

I am logged on very often and Steam would log me out if anybody logs on to my account and that never happened.

I wish you luck with this issue and please read the links that Silicon posted in regards to Vac bans. One thing to keep in mind is that vac does not ban for no reason..it is a cheat punishment system. Somewhere along the line you were flagged by Vac and it eventually caught up with you, thus you being banned. I just don't understand how after being caught cheating once, you would go that path again, but that's me. These games aren't cheap and you are just throwing the benjamin's out the window by even going that route. Good luck with your issue and hope it can be resolved to your satisfaction
Again as I said, I wasn't cheating (and I see no way how it could happen).
I read everything about VAC bans when I got banned before. I just don't like that the ban is permanent - if it would be for year for example, it would be ok. I think it is enought big punishment for real cheaters and if happens mistake like this (or someone hacks account, ...) the game isn't lost at all.

Fyndir
02-16-2011, 11:54 AM
if it would be for year for example, it would be ok.

VAC bans used to be timed, but enough cheaters just waited and then cheated again that they switched up to permanent bans.

aboveyou
02-16-2011, 01:50 PM
Behaviour in the VAC forum - a fair warning:

Trolling in the VAC forum will not be tolerated. Please do not post unless you have something constructive to add to a topic. Many issues relating to VAC are not ban related, so don't treat every thread as such.

If a user posts that they have been VAC banned it is not an excuse to ignore the FORUM RULES AND GUIDELINES (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=651173).

Okay, fair enough. It's just that I did some research on my own and found the truth here. Sorry for vocalizing it.