PDA

View Full Version : Bots in realism. [All knowing bots]

Internet
02-13-2011, 07:53 AM
Why exactly are the bots omniscient? Especially in Realism Vs. this is extremely obvious. Whenever you incap a bot, no matter how far away you are the other bots come darting, often instantly. This doesn't apply when you incap a player, of course, as then they will mist likely stand idly by as you are getting strangled by a lone smoker.

Is this intentional? Or are Valve just lazy as usual?

I know this isn't a huge problem, but when I play versus realism with my friends I want to be able to attack whoever isn't keeping up without being found within a few seconds.

If this has been discussed a lot, I'm sorry for bringing it up. I couldn't find anything by searching though.

Zeratulz
02-13-2011, 08:05 AM
How exactly do you suggest planning the bots to listen to the sound?
I'm curious, besides I know it's possible because the zombies can do it but it would still know where the survivor is after one 'HELP'.

So unless you're some hardcore omgsh pro in this kind of stuff, I doubt you have a solution that is actually possible and realistic.
Hell, I don't even think it's possible to make it REALISTIC.

Internet
02-13-2011, 08:30 AM
They don't have to actually navigate by sound. They could move to the last position they knew the person was at, then move vaguely in the direction they're in. Just not straight to the location the person is at.

Keldorn
02-13-2011, 08:32 AM
There's also the exploit to easily find your teammates. Just go idle and let your bot lead the way.

Zeratulz
02-13-2011, 08:38 AM
There's also the exploit to easily find your teammates. Just go idle and let your bot lead the way.

I don't think this is a problem, especially not in Realism VS where you can't go idle.

Smear
02-13-2011, 09:02 AM
I guess it's hard to find a nice middle ground. You can make it so that your bots seem blind to their friends danger, but really, if we're honest, aren't they stupid enough already? Would you really feel comfortable knowing that bots who were already stupid just recived a nerf? I think it's a fair trade off.

The good news is, while those bots race back to save Robo-Ellis, they'll happily leave the only human player dangling by his/her throat from a Smoker tongue or trapped under the rampent claws of a Hunter for a good half hour before noticing, despite being 2 feet away.

Internet
02-13-2011, 09:51 AM
I guess it's hard to find a nice middle ground. You can make it so that your bots seem blind to their friends danger, but really, if we're honest, aren't they stupid enough already? Would you really feel comfortable knowing that bots who were already stupid just recived a nerf? I think it's a fair trade off.

The good news is, while those bots race back to save Robo-Ellis, they'll happily leave the only human player dangling by his/her throat from a Smoker tongue or trapped under the rampent claws of a Hunter for a good half hour before noticing, despite being 2 feet away.

Yeah, makes sense.

Honestly though, I'd rather have bots who can't auto-revive they're fellow bots. They would even be better in a situation where a player is incapped simultaneously as a bot. At least if they prioritize players before bots they can't find.

Kool Mode D
02-13-2011, 10:17 AM
Maybe Vlave are lazy for allowing bots to know where all team mates are but then again do we want to make the bots in RVS any worser than they are now?

Internet
02-13-2011, 11:17 AM
Maybe Vlave are lazy for allowing bots to know where all team mates are but then again do we want to make the bots in RVS any worser than they are now?

No, at least not in my opinion. However, it's kind of stupid how they're acting exactly as if it isn't realism.

Also, an easy way to buff the bots in case they carry out this nerf is to make them prioritize the player. During horde they also seem to prioritize common infected before someone who's incapped. That could also be fixed. Another buff could be to make them more responsive to the player survivors' actions; like more prone to move, instead of just standing around until the player is far ahead.