PDA

View Full Version : Windows Live Messenger Question

schmidT
02-14-2011, 10:32 PM
Hi,
Last time i used yahoo messenger, but since i think the look of Live is much more simpler. i used it yesterday,

I made 2 categories for my friends and my partner and put 5 contacts to each categories, then this morning i recovered my computer and re-install live messenger, i saw 10 contacts in "Offline" categories..

My 2 categories are gone....
How to permanently add categories to my friends so whenever i instal live, it stays there, just like yahoo?

thanks

Scared
02-15-2011, 12:53 AM
I wonder if categories are stored locally or online (I don't use them so I have never noticed anything).

Anasazi
02-15-2011, 04:20 AM
If you're talking about the newer version (15.4, where when it opens it's like a windows Live page with the contacts on the right side), you can do this...
Oh wait, I just clicked this icon in the top right (I'll attach a pic) and it started showing offline contacts...

http://tinypic.com/r/4n6sz/7

If you prefer the other view, above your buddy list there's a link of sorts that says "Online" for all your online friends. You can change that to display "All" or "Everyone" and it will display everyone.
You can alternatively divide it one step further:
If you don't already have the menu bar at the top (with file/edit/tools, etc.), click your name at the top right, above the friends list. A menu comes up that lets you change your status, but if you look at the bottom of it there should be an option to "Display menu".
Once that's done, click Tools > Options > Contacts, and the VERY last option in that subsection is to separate offline contacts into their own category. If you don't check this, they just display in their default category as offline.

Also it seems like Categories are stored with your account online, they transfer around, which is convenient.