PDA

View Full Version : A question for the Mods: how did you get your position?

Condor_96
02-14-2011, 11:35 PM
Not that I want to be a Mod or anything (I wouldn't have nearly enough patience to deal with the hordes of idiots and trolls that inhabit SPUF), but I found myself wondering how a Mod became a Mod, and I also found myself not being able to answer that question. So, yeah, how did you guys get your positions? (unless it's confidential or something, then ignore this thread)

Sirhc Nacnud
02-14-2011, 11:39 PM
Not that I want to be a Mod or anything (I wouldn't have nearly enough patience to deal with the hordes of idiots and trolls that inhabit SPUF), but I found myself wondering how a Mod became a Mod, and I also found myself not being able to answer that question. So, yeah, how did you guys get your positions? (unless it's confidential or something, then ignore this thread)

I hope my non-modness can be excused, but from previous threads info on this subject has been brought up. Basically, no one applies to be a mod. They are chosen. All are volunteer posts, except for BurtonJ, who is kind of head honcho around here (I'm pretty sure. 10 Snicker if I'm wrong). Now, the mods that have been chosen have most definitely shown good leadership and people skills, as well as being all around helpful, leading to their choosing.

Only exception is Ultima, who was contacted by Aliens/FBI/God himself, or something along those lines.

Zefar
02-14-2011, 11:42 PM
We behaved(As in not getting infraction points, one might be overlooked I think), was here for quite some time and helped people. Also being active is a good thing. Didn't ask to become a Moderator.

Then you just wait for a PM from a Valve employee. There is also this where we might not actually need more Moderators at the time as well. It can change though.

Foenetik
02-14-2011, 11:47 PM
do you guys even get perks?

Ultima V|RUZ
02-14-2011, 11:48 PM
do you guys even get perks?

This nice avatar!

You need to survive the 3 trials. I'd tell you, but then I'd have to eat your beating heart (the first trial).

Few survive.

Only exception is Ultima, who was contacted by Aliens/FBI/God himself, or something along those lines.

Yeah, something like that.

Nuklear41
02-14-2011, 11:58 PM
Hmmmm. A beating heart you say? I think I'm ready.

Odra
02-14-2011, 11:59 PM
I received a PM:

"For the title of moderator to be bestowed upon thee, you must bring for these items three: The scales of a Blue Dragon, a Bozar and the Eltonbrand."

I simply bribed Burton with some snickers.

Ultima V|RUZ
02-15-2011, 12:00 AM
Eltonbrand.

Holy crap, Morrowind reference.

+rep

DAMN THE GODS, I MUST SPREAD REP TO GIVE MORE

The scales of a Blue Dragon

*gasp*

Baldur's Gate?!

Hmmmm. A beating heart you say? I think I'm ready.

That's what the kids in Mrs. Opelstiens 1st grade class said.

Many hearts were eaten that day, but sadly, none survived.

Odra
02-15-2011, 12:08 AM
Oh, while we are at it, if Carsomyr was the uber-awesome weapon you were mentioning I was greatly disappointed by its protector.

Mopped the floor with him.

marie pavie
02-15-2011, 12:13 AM
They just logged in one morning & there was an avatar and a PM saying 'Don't ♥♥♥♥ up'.

Flurgorg
02-15-2011, 12:13 AM
Valve just get the names of the top posters and then do something like this (http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/222638/bailout) to choose a new mod.

Odra
02-15-2011, 12:21 AM
Valve just get the names of the top posters and then do something like this (http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/222638/bailout) to choose a new mod.

I didn't even post that much, then again I stayed on the TF2 forums (not much incentive), if memory serves me right I only made three threads, one was asking for a blacklist, another one for an option to disable cosmetic items client-side and one for a perpetual steamID based mute.

As for the clip, that is not how we are chosen, that's how TF2 updates are chosen.

EDIT: I'm going to regret that quip about TF2 when the Administrators notice this post...

HellJumper
02-15-2011, 12:48 AM

What an ingenious plan. I probably would have started looking for that scale...

insanefred
02-15-2011, 01:04 AM
Too much Sunny Delight?

W-
02-15-2011, 01:16 AM
You need to survive the 3 trials. I'd tell you, but then I'd have to eat your beating heart (the first trial).

I see... paper clips and bubble gum will have to do, but that wont replace the...

Ultima V|RUZ: "I'm afraid paper clips and bubble gum will have to do for todays initiation, potential mod."
Jaded Admin: "Yes, but with good reason. This is a rare opportunity for us. This is the most indifferent subject we've seen yet."
Ultima V|RUZ: "And, potentially, the most unstable."
Jaded Admin: "Now, now, if you follow the standard reconstruction and replacement procedure, everything will be fine."
Ultima V|RUZ: "I don't know how you can say that. Although I will admit that the possibility of a tyrannical rampage is extremely unlikely."
Jaded Admin: "The potential mod doesn't need to hear all this, he's highly trained in his duties."
Ultima V|RUZ: "Ah...yes, you're right. Potential mod, we have complete confidence you can survive."
Jaded Admin: "Well, go ahead. Let's remove it now."

HammerLegionary
02-15-2011, 01:30 AM
They were selected by Lucifer(Ultima) himself! He chose the most evil 'beings' in the universe and then gave them the position of mods!
So if you wanna be a mod be an evil entity and oppress innocent users.

Teh Caek
02-15-2011, 06:07 AM
This nice avatar!

You loose your post stars though :(

bluz74
02-15-2011, 06:22 AM
Mod fight to the death! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Rl46Dpy-P4)

To the victor goes the SUF.

eram
02-15-2011, 06:27 AM

You got it wrong.

remember. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O23EzxT-Ug

FreemanForPrez
02-15-2011, 06:28 AM
It probably also helps WHERE you're being helpful.
I'm sure the Valve PTB watch some of the more Valve-centric forums a lot more closely. I could probably count on one hand the number of mod posts I've seen in the forums I've frequented over the years, and I'd bet Valve employees never even look in them until someone reports a problem.
There is an *enormous* amount of helpfulness and respect coming from many users in several forums that probably goes entirely unnoticed.

eram
02-15-2011, 06:30 AM
There is an *enormous* amount of helpfulness and respect coming from many users in several forums that probably goes entirely unnoticed.

It never goes unnoticed.

bluz74
02-15-2011, 06:34 AM
You got it wrong.

remember. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O23EzxT-Ug

You remembered! :D

GTFO!! :mad:

;):D

FreemanForPrez
02-15-2011, 06:34 AM
It never goes unnoticed.

Well I'm not going to argue with you; you know more about how they work than I do, I'm sure.
I was just basing that on presumed odds and priorities.

wakeless0
02-15-2011, 06:35 AM
Moderation is overrated.
Who needs moderators? Pffftt

/runs a muck

Modiga-Disabled
02-15-2011, 06:36 AM
To receive mod status you need to have made two confirmed bans.

Matthew94
02-15-2011, 06:40 AM
I am now declaring war against the mods and their power trippin'. Who's with me?

FreemanForPrez
02-15-2011, 06:41 AM
I was a forum mod once, many years ago. Not here of course, but on a large graphics site.
I grew to hate it with every fiber of my being...
I don't mind being a jerk when I feel like it, but I hated having to ban or warn people whom I totally agreed with. ;)

bluz74
02-15-2011, 06:41 AM

I've been banned in two states....does that count?

FreemanForPrez
02-15-2011, 06:45 AM
I've been banned in two states....does that count?

Good question.
How about being thrown out of bars? That should count for something too. Not like I know anything about that...

TheRevanchist
02-15-2011, 06:57 AM
I don't have a beating heart but I'll let you take a look at my phylactery?

KamiofLunacy
02-15-2011, 07:01 AM

But how do you ban people unless you're already a moderator?

You'd have to be an admin first.

Since all admins are VALVe employees, it follows that all moderators are also VALVe employees.

This brings us to the obvious conclusion: The mods know where Episode 3 is.

Ultima V|RUZ
02-15-2011, 07:04 AM
Oh, while we are at it, if Carsomyr was the uber-awesome weapon you were mentioning I was greatly disappointed by its protector.

Mopped the floor with him.

Impossible. :(

It was a hard fight.

Excygy
02-15-2011, 07:07 AM
Holy crap, Morrowind reference.

+rep

DAMN THE GODS, I MUST SPREAD REP TO GIVE MORE

If you wanted to give more, you shouldn't have nerfed the rep power!

:p

JayceM
02-15-2011, 07:09 AM

Made you feel it, did he? Well, you needn't worry, the second is-

*this user has been banned*

bluz74
02-15-2011, 07:09 AM
I thought BurtonJ dares an SUF member to join him in the wood beast ceremony. Tense moments pass as each of them take turns placing their hand inside the tree trunk hoping not to be fatally bitten by the wood beast that resides within.

Ultima V|RUZ
02-15-2011, 07:10 AM
If you wanted to give more, you shouldn't have nerfed the rep power!

I don't make the rules/utilities/forum functions/anything, I just ban people and do what I'm told.

I thought BurtonJ dares an SUF member to join him in the wood beast ceremony. Tense moments pass as each of them take turns placing their hand inside the tree trunk hoping not to be fatally bitten by the wood beast that resides within.

Little do you know, human. The true ritual is when, after the druids sacrifice the virgin, Burton turns into a werewolf and hunts the initiate down. If the initiate survives (for 3 months in the wilderness, naked), they move on to the next challenge.

Kahrandras
02-15-2011, 07:12 AM
i survived somebody eating my beating heart once

it was pleasantly non toxic

bluz74
02-15-2011, 07:14 AM
Little do you know, human. The true ritual is when, after the druids sacrifice the virgin, Burton turns into a werewolf and hunts the initiate down. If the initiate survives (for 3 months in the wilderness, naked), they move on to the next challenge.

Pfft....I've been living naked in the woods behind my parents house for years. Piece of cake. :cool:

Blackops
02-15-2011, 07:17 AM
All I can picture with the challenges is that crappy show on G4TV, "Ninja Warrior". Then again, I think the only thing on G4 that isn't crap is COPS now.

Ultima V|RUZ
02-15-2011, 07:21 AM
Pfft....I've been living naked in the woods behind my parents house for years. Piece of cake. :cool:

But you haven't been hunted down by a very hungry werewolf. :confused:

bluz74
02-15-2011, 07:25 AM
But you haven't been hunted down by a very hungry werewolf. :confused:

True. However, my old man is really hairy and my mother can turn into a snarling monster when she doesn't get her way, so.......

:D

spooksmagee
02-15-2011, 07:42 AM
Evidence of mod abuse of power (http://i.imgur.com/zXlHx.jpg)

Achillies
02-15-2011, 08:04 AM
I received a PM:

"For the title of moderator to be bestowed upon thee, you must bring for these items three: The scales of a Blue Dragon, a Bozar and the Eltonbrand."

This is why Odra's my favorite mod. +rep

AngelinaCarmen
02-15-2011, 08:10 AM
Better question: why did you accept your position?

Was it so you could find out once and for all if you could ban yourself?

Well, can you? Can you give yourself infractions? :D

Modiga-Disabled
02-15-2011, 08:17 AM
/wanted to know just who Citizen13 was.

eram
02-15-2011, 08:18 AM
/wanted to know just who Citizen13 was.

....and now we know everyone else has forgotten about Citizen13.

bluz74
02-15-2011, 08:19 AM
[/size]

Haven't you been reading the thread? It's a "join us or die" sort of situation. That and I heard they get free TF2 hats! Win, win. :cool:

Modiga-Disabled
02-15-2011, 08:22 AM
....and now we know everyone else has forgotten about Citizen13.

I swear the only two non-mods (at the time) who took a lasting interest were me and Tyger.

eram
02-15-2011, 08:27 AM
I swear the only two non-mods (at the time) who took a lasting interest were me and Tyger.

..and just look at what they did to Tyger. The poor guy. Just look after yourself , you may be next!

Modiga-Disabled
02-15-2011, 08:31 AM
..and just look at what they did to Tyger. The poor guy. Just look after yourself , you may be next!

I'm pretty sure I'm safe, I'm a mod now and I've acted to ensure that my current location is unkn-

bluz74
02-15-2011, 08:33 AM
I'm pretty sure I'm safe, I'm a mod now and I've acted to ensure that my current location is unkn-

I always wanted to know what "iga-disabled" meant and why none of the other mods have "mod" infront of their name.

JayceM
02-15-2011, 08:35 AM
Moderam...sounds like some form of pest control.

Or hipster RAM, depending on how you say it.

Suomis
02-15-2011, 08:36 AM
Too much Sunny Delight?

And rum yum yum?

eram
02-15-2011, 08:37 AM

Get out of my house, they may come after me now!

Why do you have the same ip as me :D Check modcp, we are linked.

Suomis
02-15-2011, 08:38 AM

The two lost twins finally found eachother...

Modiga-Disabled
02-15-2011, 08:39 AM

Clearly one of us is an alt account...

I think it's you.

bluz74
02-15-2011, 08:40 AM

Yeah but Modra sounds like a cool godzilla foe.

Suomis

I think it's you.

The two lost twins ban eachother...

eram

Disrambled. :(

I think it's you.

I'll get my coat shall i?

bluz74
02-15-2011, 08:43 AM
I'd like to see a Mod named "erator".

Modiga-Disabled
02-15-2011, 08:44 AM
Hmph, I thought I had an IP match with Blinxx as well, but apparently not.

I treat mod IP matches like pokemon.

JayceM
02-15-2011, 08:47 AM

You catch them all? Then force them to fight each other in the end result that one of them will 'faint' (which means die, let's be honest. They never get back up unless they go to a hospital)?

Sounds good.

Suomis
02-15-2011, 08:47 AM

Gotta catch em all? Ninjad...

Hohenstaufen
02-15-2011, 08:48 AM
Reading this post makes me feel like the world is about to end and the Gods.. I mean Mods... are deciding on the fate of mankind.

Modiga-Disabled
02-15-2011, 08:59 AM
Reading this post makes me feel like the world is about to end and the Gods.. I mean Mods... are deciding on the fate of mankind.

We decided that within the first thirty seconds of meeting the forum userbase.

BS_1
02-15-2011, 09:06 AM
This nice avatar!
I have avatars and signatures disabled, so all you get is an orange name and the little "Volunteer Moderator" text. Plus you don't get stars. :D But to be honest, I'd take the orange text over stars any day.
We decided that within the first thirty seconds of meeting the forum userbase.
But the forum user-base is always changing! :D

ledbelly
02-15-2011, 09:22 AM
i always thought that those who wanted to be mods had to fight it out in a huge battle pit. the weapons of choice are huge battle clubs and the contestants can wear nothing but bear skins.

i believe their are cameras filming the event from every angle and a direct feed is sent straight to gabe's office. from there gabe controls the traps and obstacles the contestants have to negotiate through in their quest for moderator status. these basically consist of trap doors, spikes, cage doors that release tigers and other animals, acid swamps, etc.

ledbelly
02-15-2011, 09:55 AM
ah... actually... gabe has phoned me up to tell me this has changed.

now the contestants must wear velcro all-over body suits. the corresponding velcro material (velcro loops) is attached to the side of the empire state building. it consists of rounds where two people have to race to the top of the building while trying to force the other off the building.

again there are various obstacles they have to negotiate through. at certain levels of the building there are helicopters with various instruments of death attached to them. at one level the helicopter has a flamethrower attached that shoots out steady bursts of fire at consistent intervals. the contestant has to clear it before another burst starts up again. at another level the helicopter has a huge wind fan attached to it. there are ten of these obstacles in all.

the contestants are allowed to kick and punch. any knock off will result in an instant win for the contestant and he will automatically be through to the next round.

Odra
02-15-2011, 10:05 AM
Impossible. :(

It was a hard fight.

Magic resistance, Bless, Chant, Haste, Holy might, Feeblemind (after initiating combat for fairness), Animal summons, Woodland creature summons, Magic missile barrage .

Kekekekekekeke

lucid enigma
02-15-2011, 10:47 AM
Do they have undercover mods or Special Ops Mods?
I'd be a stealth mod.
With no Avatar, I'd mingle with the non-mods until they accepted me as one of them, then I could obtain information for the modded and influence the non-mods to the mods desires.

The_End
02-15-2011, 11:24 AM
You may not have guessed, but I am actually a mod, myself. I am a special mod, however, in that all I can do is ban myself or people who are already banned. I can look at infraction and rep histories and even view a user's PMs too, as long as they are mine. Of course, I can also have a custom avatar, but I do not feel like pasting it on with print screen and paint every post, so I leave it alone. Jealous? Deal with it.

HammerLegionary
02-15-2011, 12:41 PM

Was it so you could find out once and for all if you could ban yourself?

Well, can you? Can you give yourself infractions? :D

I do think one mod once said they tried to ban them self but it didn't work.

Mangr0v3
02-15-2011, 04:49 PM

Catch them and battle around the country with them?

I choose you, 215.74.32.183!

(I have no idea whose IP that is, I just mashed the keyboard and checked to make sure it was <255)

Ulysses S Grant
02-15-2011, 04:57 PM
Basically be a cool guy and maintain your status as a cool guy until you can be a cooler guy. Then you will be... the coolest guy.

Europhoria
02-15-2011, 04:58 PM
They ate a porcupine.

lucid enigma
02-15-2011, 04:58 PM
Catch them and battle around the country with them?

I choose you, 215.74.32.183!

(I have no idea whose IP that is, I just mashed the keyboard and checked to make sure it was <255)

lol.
Wanna be careful doing that!
That IP add belongs to the Department of Defence Network Information Center! :eek:

Mangr0v3
02-15-2011, 05:02 PM
I probably should have run it through GeoIP before posting.... ah well. What are they gonna do? Fly halfway around the world to inspect my number pad?

lucid enigma
02-15-2011, 05:06 PM
I probably should have run it through GeoIP before posting.... ah well. What are they gonna do? Fly halfway around the world to inspect my number pad?

Wait. Did you just see that dude peering through your window?!? :D

Some computer somewhere just beeped into life going mad about some 'suspected terrorists' sharing DoD secrets on a network cleverly disguised as a gaming forum!

Europhoria
02-15-2011, 05:11 PM

Nah, they'll say you sexually assaulted somebody and have you and your PC extradited. :D

Mangr0v3
02-15-2011, 05:15 PM
Wait. Did you just see that dude peering through your window?!? :D

Which window?

Nah, they'll say you sexually assaulted somebody and have you and your PC extradited. :D

Oh goodee, I've always wanted to go to the US. Oh wait...

lucid enigma
02-15-2011, 05:18 PM
Which window?

Hmm. Gives out DoD IP adds and has no windows?!? :confused:
Are you in some top secret military bunker?
Is there a big red button in front of you?

Press it! You know you want too! ;)

Excygy
02-15-2011, 05:20 PM

I think it's you.

you joined after him, just a couple months...

crunchyfrog555
02-15-2011, 05:26 PM
On a slightly different note, this is similar how I got to be a video games journalist.

I started sending tips and bits into a few magazines when I got more avidly back into gaming (following the dual reasons of disability/retirement, and Playstation). I also sent it a few notes to certain magazines pointing out errors and omissions in walkthroughs (remember these were the heady days before internet usage was so prevalent). Most of what I sent in got published (it does now - I have an uncannily high rate of publication of my pieces/letters - somebody must like me, I guess).

Next thing I knew was I got two job offers, very close together saying that they liked what I said (and how I wrote). Would I like to write walkthroughs/guides for them. I jumped at both chances, reasoning that the payment would keep me in games and keep me busy as I was no longer allowed to work full-time (and I was right).

Ironic now I look back at it. When I think of the many job interviews I had and heard nothing, as soon as I'm told I'm no longer allowed to work any more, with a week or so, I get TWO job offers I never even I applied for! Funny old world...

Also, one other benefit was that I got some sweet gaming promos from over the years and played (and occasionally worked on) some great games months before release.

I still do it a bit now, but it's more few and far between because of other commitments, such as music festival work and legal work.

Europhoria
02-15-2011, 05:30 PM
Which window?

Microsoft...wait, you use OSX.

Mangr0v3
02-15-2011, 05:35 PM
Hmm. Gives out DoD IP adds and has no windows?!? :confused:
Are you in some top secret military bunker?
Is there a big red button in front of you?

Press it! You know you want too! ;)

I need one of these (http://www.thinkgeek.com/interests/giftsforhim/9116/)

Microsoft...wait, you use OSX.
http://cl.ly/1T0B4316251j1u0i0G0x

Ultima V|RUZ
02-15-2011, 05:37 PM
Magic resistance, Bless, Chant, Haste, Holy might, Feeblemind (after initiating combat for fairness), Animal summons, Woodland creature summons, Magic missile barrage .

Kekekekekekeke

MMMMM I did almost all of that except feeblemind. Skeleton Warriors are great, too. It took about 4 tries for me (with only 1 temporary death).

Timerider42
02-15-2011, 06:31 PM

Before I even clicked the link, that's the music I thought of.

Europhoria
02-15-2011, 06:42 PM
http://cl.ly/1T0B4316251j1u0i0G0x

So you are being spied upon!

Mangr0v3
02-15-2011, 06:57 PM
So you are being spied upon!

What else would the blue eye in my system tray mean? :p

Lethal_Sting
02-15-2011, 07:06 PM
What else would the blue eye in my system tray mean? :p
If it turns red they have become angry at you! :eek:

smash
02-15-2011, 07:08 PM
I was helping out a lot in the CS1.6/CZ sections, the CS:S forums during the first beta, and I was contributing to the HL sections before HL2 was released. Jess Cliffe approached me and asked if I wanted to become officially unofficial.

Mangr0v3
02-15-2011, 07:11 PM
If it turns red they have become angry at you! :eek:

It was orange last week.

officially unofficial

Very fishy.

Lethal_Sting
02-15-2011, 07:21 PM
asked if I wanted to become officially unofficial.

Are you Bob? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFV8At5hXRo) I suppose Matt = Steve :confused:

joeylawn
02-15-2011, 07:24 PM
This. (www.snickers.com)

g859
02-15-2011, 07:29 PM
They bribed the admins with hard work and helping out 8|

Timerider42
02-16-2011, 08:45 AM
Who is the newest mod? Most I see joined several years ago, like 2006 or earlier.

Zukabazuka
02-16-2011, 09:09 AM
The mods just get their account updated to moderator account.

donquixote
02-16-2011, 09:10 AM
I used go be a mod... In... Another plane of exsitence... And... Eram, he opened it... He opened... THE BOX!

Erm... I think that's the meds talking...

Modiga-Disabled
02-16-2011, 09:15 AM
you joined after him, just a couple months...

Well sure, if you start throwing facts into this witch hunt, you can deduce anything plausible.

Although if you ask me, we are a single conscience shared by two bodies, but happens to suffer from multiple personality disorder.

ssj4brandon
02-16-2011, 09:24 AM
If i do the Macarena dance can i become a Mod? :P

Excygy
02-16-2011, 09:28 AM
If i do the Macarena dance can i become a Mod? :P

if you do it while standing on your head and being covered with peanut butter in the middle of the forest and being filmed.

then sending your film to gabe, you MIGHT get the job.