PDA

View Full Version : Hdd

SwaT98
02-15-2011, 11:44 AM
Hi there,yesterday i have asked over here about western digital hdd-s and i got convinced that they have lots of problems so many of you recommended to me the samsung spinpoint f3 1tb 7200 rpm sata 2,my motherboards supports sata3 and i wanna know if there are any more samsung's hdd's with sata3.
1 more question is there any huge difference between 64-32 mb?(hdd specs)
Thanks

rotNdude
02-15-2011, 12:09 PM
There is nothing wrong with the WD drives.

There is no huge difference with the varying caches either. The cache is there for predictive fetching and that fetching scheme is served by the drive electronics algorithm.

Undead
02-15-2011, 01:23 PM
It would be better to give us your budget and desired space, so we can recommend a good HDD for you.

Personally, I have no problems with my WD HDD's, but I would only recommend the Caviar Black, otherwise get a Barracuda.

Alkpaz2
02-15-2011, 01:23 PM
Never used Samsung drives myself, but WD and Seagate drives are relatively the same, no real difference in speed.

Altherat
02-15-2011, 01:30 PM
I've never had a problem with any WD drives, actually I prefer them.

Also sata 3 for spinning hard drives will only give you a minimal preformance increase and is not worth the price.

schnitzeljaeger
02-15-2011, 02:28 PM
If you look through user feedback about current hdds you will see that many (if not all) manufacturers have serious quality assurance problems.
You should check a few shops which have user feedback and buy the model with the fewest bad feedbacks.
Personally I recommend the current 2TB 5400 rpm Samsung; it's quiet, fast, cool and it seems to be reliable.

Ibemi
02-15-2011, 02:52 PM
I have two 1tb WD Caviar Black drives, and I love them. They are reliable, and I haven't had a problem with them yet. With the ATTO Disk Benchmark, I got a peak of 113mb/s write, 117mb/s read. This is with the drive at 911gb free out of 933gb available, so your results may vary as it fills up. With the other drive being around 50% full, I tested it and got a peak of 68mb/s write, 72mb/s read, considerably slower.

borg_7_of_9
02-15-2011, 02:57 PM
I do remember this and i didn't see anyone say there where problem's with the WD drive..

Sata 3 for Mechanical HDD's gives no performance increase the cache may give a small burst but because it's predictive fetching it may not always help as the pre-cached data may not be the data thats called..

The Samsung's are usually cheaper and perform better.. hence the recommendation

borg_7_of_9
02-15-2011, 02:59 PM
I have two 1tb WD Caviar Black drives, and I love them. They are reliable, and I haven't had a problem with them yet. With the ATTO Disk Benchmark, I got a peak of 113mb/s write, 117mb/s read. This is with the drive at 911gb free out of 933gb available, so your results may vary as it fills up. With the other drive being around 50% full, I tested it and got a peak of 68mb/s write, 72mb/s read, considerably slower.

that's actually slower than my 500G Seagate 7200.12 @129 read 125MB/s write...

dosbox
02-15-2011, 03:11 PM
Hi there,yesterday i have asked over here about western digital hdd-s and i got convinced that they have lots of problems

If you mean this thread (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1757808), then I don't know where you're getting the "WD has lots of problems" vibe from.

All manufacturers have had issues. You should ensure you maintain a regular backup separate from your main machine, and use a drive from a different manufacturer if that's a concern.

The only reason you saw Samsung recommendations is because the people who posted own them. This doesn't mean the WD drives are useless.

Ibemi
02-15-2011, 03:44 PM
that's actually slower than my 500G Seagate 7200.12 @129 read 125MB/s write...

I wasn't comparing drive speeds in an e-peen contest, I was simply stating what speeds mine was capable of to inform the OP of the performance he would be to expect if he purchased said drive. That being said, that is a pretty fast drive. Out of curiosity, what drive model is it?

borg_7_of_9
02-15-2011, 04:13 PM
I wasn't comparing drive speeds in an e-peen contest, I was simply stating what speeds mine was capable of to inform the OP of the performance he would be to expect if he purchased said drive. That being said, that is a pretty fast drive. Out of curiosity, what drive model is it?

Seagate bara 7200.12 is all I know.. I was impressed

I wasn't trying for e-peen I'm shocked WD is a little behind..

Also as u may know higher density drive's are faster ie 2TB vs 1TB

SwaT98
02-16-2011, 12:38 PM
Hi there sorry for late reply ^^.
Price range? -250 ron ~~ 65 euro's
Many recommended me the seagate hdd's,that they'r superior to wd
I would like some reccomandations of good hdd's around this price range.
I have found an
http://www.emag.ro/hard_disk-uri/hdd-seagate-1tb-sata-7200rpm-32mb-st31000525sv-surveillance-pentru-sisteme-de-supraveghere-sdvr-snvr--pST31000525SV
Hmm still i would liked an sata3 or sata 2 is good enough for me?
So i really need a response now.!
Thanks