PDA

View Full Version : VAC should detect SSH

Exha
02-15-2011, 03:12 PM
I think, VAC developers should make something to ban people using SSH.

What is SSH ?
SSH mean Server Side Hack, it's a malicious hack installed on the server... Yes, it's possible, this hack is very legit and really... expansive.

But my friend know the creator of this and so, he have a lifetime subscription for free.

This is very legit, and actually UNDETECTABLE... You just have to put the STEAM_ID of a guy in a file and he can access to a menu to activate an aimbot.

I don't know if I'm really in the good section, and I don't want to advertise people with this ♥♥♥♥ but... VAC, really, works on it.

PhamousVegas
02-15-2011, 03:14 PM
So you want VAC to start banning servers?
Uhm, not going to happen...
It's not hard to avoid servers with abusive administrators.

Gone'Postal
02-15-2011, 03:16 PM
But my friend know the creator of this and so, he have a lifetime subscription for free.

So get your friend to send the files to a mod on here.

Exha
02-15-2011, 03:17 PM
No, I mean, VAC should ban people using this, I dont know, just scan the file contain STEAM_ID and ban them or, block the server starting for a reason of "not signed" addon... I don't know, but really, work on it...

Exha
02-15-2011, 03:18 PM
Hum, they don't know I hate cheaters, and I don't think he want to post a private hack here...

666Ninja666
02-15-2011, 03:25 PM
This is server side, it's up to whoever the Admin/owner of the server whether or not to give it to people. Their server, their choice. Don't like it? Blacklist the server and move on to another one.

Nekomancer
02-15-2011, 03:27 PM
Server side plugins can't and won't get you banned. If you don't like it when a server has that plugin installed, leave it and search for a new one.

P.S.: I always thought that SSH stands for Secure Shell.

Exha
02-15-2011, 03:27 PM
Don't be so negative... I just don't want to see this hack on all war servers... The game contain enough cheaters for the moment, and if now we can cheat with an undetectable cheat...

VAC is here to ban cheaters...

Mangr0v3
02-15-2011, 04:05 PM
P.S.: I always thought that SSH stands for Secure Shell.

Same here. I saw this thread and went :confused:

How do you differentiate legitimate server plugins from plugins that offer cheat capabilities?

Nekomancer
02-15-2011, 04:07 PM
And Server side plugins aren't cheats. Period. Valve allows custom content and Server side plugins are part of it. Sure, you can use it in mischievous ways like this. But this is something you have to accept. If you don't like the server, avoid it in the future. There is nothing else you can do, since nothing happened that is against the ToS/SSA. Valve doesn't consider that as cheating. Someone is just abusing his admin powers. Nothing more, nothing less.

Exha
02-15-2011, 04:10 PM
So, it's a new way to kill this game... I hope we'll don't have cheats on Portal 2...

Nekomancer
02-15-2011, 04:11 PM
It's not a new way. Server side plugins are existing for years already.

real4xor
02-15-2011, 04:12 PM
Well, it would be nice that the server can`t be marked as VAC Secure if they use stuff like that.

Other than that, there`s really not much to do about it...

And if you can`t get VAC banned from server side "hacks", then it doesn`t really matter anyway. If the admin thinks you need an aimbot, well... then use it. lol.

Nekomancer
02-15-2011, 04:15 PM
Disabling VAC for using server side plugins? That would disable VAC on most servers out there. For simple (and harmless!) things like a rank plugin? Not a very bright idea in my opinion.

On the other side, there is the option for a whitelist, or a blacklist. But both would need a lot of work and someone would need to constantly update that list every time a plugin gets updated.

A bit like the Mutators of Killing Floor. Still, would require someone to maintain that list.

Exha
02-15-2011, 04:15 PM
Yeah, you're right...

CTRL ALT DEL !
02-15-2011, 04:19 PM
Servers are just that and there is no requirement to play in any of them.

Sending a copy of the cheat to Valve may help, but I think that sending it to zblock so that they can insure that it doesn't work on a server running zblock would solve many problems.

Nekomancer
02-15-2011, 04:20 PM
Next time read the thread. It's about server side plugins, not client side cheats. Since when would zBlock block server side plugins?

Exha
02-15-2011, 04:26 PM
Yeah, zBlock just (try) to block speedhack and noflash client side plugin...

Verminus
02-15-2011, 04:35 PM
Wait... Its a server-side hack? So it can only be used on the server running it? What the hell is the point in that?

Pfffftt! Let the cheaters and script kiddies have their little hacked server. That way they can aimbot to their heart's content thinking they have "l33t skillz". At least that way it keeps them in one place, and if they ever do join a server I'm on they'll either get their ♥♥♥♥ handed to them or a VAC ban.

Exha
02-15-2011, 04:40 PM
Epic post... Totally agree.

L.o.D.
02-15-2011, 04:57 PM
There's nothing VAC can do about server-side cheats since it doesn't scan server-side files.
Servers can run whatever they so desire to run.
Valve won't start banning/blocking servers.

ak22
02-15-2011, 05:13 PM
Also, in servers that allow custom textures (sv_pure 0), you can have a
completely VAC-proof wall hack.

ak22
02-15-2011, 05:15 PM
Does anyone know to which sv_pure option are majority of servers set?

sv_pure 0, sv_pure 1, or sv_pure 2?

Autositz
02-15-2011, 05:40 PM
The fun thing about this topic is:
Servers NEED the ability to be able to "activate cheats".
Best and only needed reason is the WC3 mod for CS.
So this whole thread could be considered as "already decided" and is obsolete.

L.o.D.
02-15-2011, 05:49 PM
Nothing "needs" cheats.
Period.
If you "need" to cheat to play a game, then you should not be gaming at all.

PhamousVegas
02-15-2011, 05:53 PM
Nothing "needs" cheats.
Period.
If you "need" to cheat to play a game, then you should not be gaming at all.
I don't consider the WC3 mod a cheat myself... but I guess everything is counted as a cheat now-a-days. :rolleyes:

L.o.D.
02-15-2011, 05:57 PM
I don't consider the WC3 mod a cheat myself... but I guess everything is counted as a cheat now-a-days. :rolleyes:

I wasn't referring to that mod though.
I was referring to his statement that servers "NEED" the ability to activate cheats, meaning people need to be able to cheat.

I don't consider server side mods to a game a cheat either.
Look at NeoTF for TFC.

Autositz
02-15-2011, 05:58 PM

I'm not saying the WC3 mod itself is a cheat but it has cheat behavior:
- Speed boost
- walking trough walls
- seeing enemies behind walls

These things and more are there for the fun of the mod of course and aren't considered cheats there!

PhamousVegas
02-15-2011, 05:59 PM
I was referring to his statement that servers "NEED" the ability to activate cheats, meaning people need to be able to cheat.

He put "activate cheats" in quotes, since he was talking about Server-Side Plugins.
(Which, as Autositz stated, can indeed have cheat "behavior")
Otherwise he wouldn't have mentioned WC3 Mod at all.

Slayer00
02-15-2011, 10:37 PM
Just one problem... Server side plugins must be installed first, and only the one who has access to the files can install them (server owners/hosters).

So someone made a plugin to his/her gameserver and sells it?
Then it only works on that server.

They can't just go around hacking all servers and installing a plugin there..

Nekomancer
02-16-2011, 04:17 AM
The fun thing about this topic is:
Servers NEED the ability to be able to "activate cheats".
Best and only needed reason is the WC3 mod for CS.
So this whole thread could be considered as "already decided" and is obsolete.

Ever heard of sv_cheats? It already exists ;).

PhamousVegas
02-16-2011, 10:56 AM
They can't just go around hacking all servers and installing a plugin there..

He didn't say they could.
The OP's problem is that server hosters are using it themselves it seems.

Dragoon.x
02-16-2011, 05:17 PM
I wouldn't mind if they ban this pay to cheat servers like saigns from their masterservers. :)

stereophonical
02-16-2011, 11:40 PM
That is not what SSH means....

PhamousVegas
02-17-2011, 12:46 AM
That is not what SSH means....

SSH, server side hack.
Makes sense to me.

There CAN be multiple meanings. Secure Shell isn't the only one.

_Budweiser_
02-17-2011, 08:07 AM
If thios Server-Side Hak is used on a server, wouldn't that server require to be VAC-disabled?

Ultimately, it's not difficult to find a server that fits your preferences, if the Admins modify their server in a way you don't like/agree with, move on.

L.o.D.
02-17-2011, 08:09 AM
The only reason it would be "undetectable" is due to the fact that VAC scans clientside, never serverside.
Valve always stated that server hosts can do whatever they wish with their servers.

PhamousVegas
02-17-2011, 10:24 AM
OP, your friend is lying, don't believe all what he say.
If he have a server, can you give us the IP?

That's silly.
He isn't lying.

Any idiot can Google for 5 minutes and get a server-hack that gives Admins special powers.
Which can range from anything really... Godmode, infinite ammo, aimbots, you name it.
No idea why you think he's lying.

Amy
02-17-2011, 11:44 AM
That's silly.
He isn't lying.

Any idiot can Google for 5 minutes and get a server-hack that gives Admins special powers.
Which can range from anything really... Godmode, infinite ammo, aimbots, you name it.
No idea why you think he's lying.

Already entered in a game with infinite ammo and many other stuff, it wasn't SV_Cheat things.

It was on Left 4 Dead 2 some months ago and still not banned,.

Why? Cuz it was server side. The server cannot fake we are using cheats/hacks.

And IF it's happen, they will remove false ban like they have done with MW2.

PhamousVegas
02-17-2011, 11:58 AM
Already entered in a game with infinite ammo and many other stuff, it wasn't SV_Cheat things.

It was on Left 4 Dead 2 some months ago and still not banned,.

Why? Cuz it was server side. The server cannot fake we are using cheats/hacks.

And IF it's happen, they will remove false ban like they have done with MW2.

Who said ANYTHING about getting banned?
Did you read the thread AT ALL?

The entire OP was complaining about how they DON'T cause bans.

Amy
02-18-2011, 10:57 AM
Who said ANYTHING about getting banned?
Did you read the thread AT ALL?

The entire OP was complaining about how they DON'T cause bans.

It's server plugin, totally normal. Also SV_Cheat for allow infinite ammo and such for server owner is legit.

About the aimbot, if he really used one, VAC would detect it and will ban him someday cuz the delayed ban.

PhamousVegas
02-18-2011, 12:48 PM
It's server plugin, totally normal.

About the aimbot, if he really used one, VAC would detect it and will ban him someday cuz the delayed ban.

Err, first you say it's a server plugin... then you say if he used one he would get VAC banned.

Dude, the OP is complaining that some servers are using Server-Side Hacks (SSH as the title says)...
Which, yes they are server plugins, but they are also AIMBOTS that the OP wants banned.

Which is perfectly reasonable and there is no lie in it at all...
HOWEVER, since VAC only scans the clients it will not be banning the servers... so @op: you're ♥♥♥♥ out of luck.
Just add the server(s) to your blacklist and find a better one.

Amy
02-19-2011, 12:29 AM
Err, first you say it's a server plugin... then you say if he used one he would get VAC banned.

Please, read correctly.

I said he probably used a server plugin which is normal that he's not bannned.

And If server owner used an aimbot and not only a plugin for infinite stuff, he will get a ban someday.

PhamousVegas
02-19-2011, 12:32 AM
Please, read correctly.

I say the same to you...

And If server owner used an aimbot and not only a plugin for infinite stuff, he will get a ban someday.
The server owner was using an AIMBOT SERVER PLUGIN.

I said he probably used a server plugin which is normal that he's not bannned.
EXACTLY, the OP WANTS him to get banned.

aiwnjoo
02-19-2011, 07:34 AM
I understand your point of view but it is not possible without illegally scanning the HDD, a SSH is basically a server plug in like some servers have WC3 or Hannah Barbera or God Mode etc it is basically the same.

VAC clearly bans for known cheats or code injection/memory modification. SSH does not exactly fall into this category therefore it is forbidden but permitted.

Similar to ring0, but VAC3 which is now being used on the OBE may do syscalls to detect some driver based cheats.

Im afraid you will have to put up with it, it is unfortunately a lost battle when a ring3 anticheat attempts to stop cheaters.

adz
02-19-2011, 07:36 AM
hmm never heard of SSH before so basiclly getting VAC for using amxmodx mods?

aiwnjoo
02-19-2011, 07:42 AM
In a way, but it is still a cheat with Aimbot, Visuals, God Mode, and many many more features not available in client hooks. It is usually a compiled file that replaces another file stored in a the /dlls folder in cstrike.

Similar to how mods/plugins work so cannot be checked for consistency or even checked for manipulation to cause a detection.

stereophonical
02-19-2011, 07:55 AM
I use SSH every day and it's not cheating. It's great.

Exha
02-19-2011, 08:11 AM
I use SSH every day and it's not cheating. It's great.

Server Side Hack is a cheat...

Nekomancer
02-19-2011, 08:41 AM
But technically it isn't a cheat. It can be used for cheating, but isn't a cheat per se.

Amy
02-19-2011, 10:41 AM
EXACTLY, the OP WANTS him to get banned.

But VAC don't ban for server plugin and will NEVER ban for server plugin.

AnneBoleyn
02-19-2011, 11:11 AM
its crazy Im begining to see more and more hacks in game How does Steam find out that they are doing that?

WilliamL
02-24-2011, 01:16 AM
IF there's plan is to keep Console port to pc , and use p2p based games they wont have the choice otherwise they will be surrounded.

EnemyLinez3
02-24-2011, 05:59 AM
Okay here's a question. VAC Detects the server side hack, who does it ban? The server? :D

Nekomancer
02-24-2011, 06:01 AM
And how? Dedicated servers don't have a Steam account ID to ban.

Am.Col
02-24-2011, 07:31 AM
It's server plugin, totally normal. Also SV_Cheat for allow infinite ammo and such for server owner is legit.

How could you troll an english speaking forum for this long, over multiple accounts and still have such broken sentences?

Exha
02-24-2011, 09:14 AM
So, SSH will be undetected for a long, long time...

Nekomancer
02-24-2011, 02:54 PM
SSH can't be detected, it's just a server plugin. The only thing you can do is leave such a server and blacklist it. Also Servers can't ban themselves, there are no Steam accounts attached to the server.

Exha
02-24-2011, 04:36 PM
Yeah, but I mean people using this will never be banned.

Cleaning the world of all these cheaters... Impossible.

Fyndir
02-24-2011, 04:52 PM

Yes, and that is a good thing.

Server admins should be free to run their server any way THEY want to, if you don't like how they run it, blacklist it and play elsewhere.

666Ninja666
02-24-2011, 05:18 PM
Making SSH VAC able would mean making server plugins VAC able and would mean the instant death of Killing Floor, Counter strike, Counter Strike source, and every other game that uses VAC. Not to mention Steam would probably die and the rest of PC gaming. :p

Konork
02-24-2011, 06:04 PM

Cleaning the world of all these cheaters... Impossible.
The thing is, even if you could detect a cheater using a server side cheat, nothing can be done about it. Imagine this, you're playing Counterstrike, when you snipe an admin. He starts swearing at you, then suddenly gets all quiet. Thinking nothing of it and somewhat thankful you didn't get banned, you keep playing. For some reason, at that point, the enemies aim seems to really suck. I mean, they're hitting your teammates just, but they can never seem to get even a single hit in on you. You manage to win a couple of games single handedly, all while the other team is swearing at you for hacks (Which is ridiculous because you didn't change anything at all), before leaving for a different server, hopefully, one with people who can aim. Then, whenever the next VAC ban wave hits, you find yourself banned for (Completely unknown to you) using a server-side god-mode hack. Does that sound fair at all?

aiwnjoo
01-26-2012, 05:48 PM
You can detect SSH, but you need to force players to also use a plugin that can detect the SSH. Doubtful that VAC can unless it implements it ofc.

thejuice027
01-26-2012, 06:01 PM
You can detect SSH, but you need to force players to also use a plugin that can detect the SSH. Doubtful that VAC can unless it implements it ofc.

Simple solution, black-list the server. Why did you bump this???

T@F
01-26-2012, 06:34 PM
I'm guessing tf 2 premium servers have this sort of thing.
Suxs when the hacks are server side tbh.

Mimonome
02-01-2012, 02:18 AM
I thought SSH meant Secure Shell. I use this all the time to remotely log into my Linux servers with PuTTY from Windows. I even SSH into my router and Android phone.

SiPlus.c
02-01-2012, 02:41 AM
Dumb request, if not even dumber than SOPA, that would cause death to mods.

Traitor Duck
02-01-2012, 03:55 PM
This would effectively stop the usage of in-game mods, so no thanks. I'd rather have it like it is now with a couple of less playable servers you can blacklist due to this silly behavior.

SuperTaz
02-02-2012, 09:09 AM
I think, VAC developers should make something to ban people using SSH.

What is SSH ?
SSH mean Server Side Hack, it's a malicious hack installed on the server... Yes, it's possible, this hack is very legit and really... expansive.

This is very legit, and actually UNDETECTABLE... You just have to put the STEAM_ID of a guy in a file and he can access to a menu to activate an aimbot.

I don't know if I'm really in the good section, and I don't want to advertise people with this ♥♥♥♥ but... VAC, really, works on it.

SSH stands for Secure Shell, not server side hack. lol

Read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Shell

DarkLite123
02-02-2012, 09:27 AM
This thread again? I swear it died about three times already :|

ZGravityPT
02-03-2012, 05:04 AM
SSH does stand for Secure Shell.

But there is a Server plugin called SSH (Server Side Hack, and yes, it has aimbot, esp, etc.) and Valve cannot do anything about it since it's the server owner that installs it, only way to avoid it would be the GSP to block .so/.dll files via FTP or something.

Now please, let this thread die in peace.