PDA

View Full Version : Hackers increasing-is VAC working?

Blues78
02-17-2011, 08:35 PM
We're seeing an increase in hackers in our servers over the last few weeks. Is the VAC staff on vacation or something?
Looking to get a little help here!

ak22
02-17-2011, 08:50 PM
What game?

CS 1.6 is so full of them, I'm fed up with it.

MADDOGGE
02-17-2011, 09:40 PM
Staff doesn't ban. It's automated. It's also a delayed ban to hamper the development cycle of cheats.

themires
02-18-2011, 01:56 AM
Staff doesn't ban. It's automated. It's also a delayed ban to hamper the development cycle of cheats.

Staff has done manual banns just so you know..

Jagged Tooth
02-18-2011, 02:08 AM
Yes, but they are very, very rare.

PhamousVegas
02-18-2011, 03:14 AM

VAC is automated.
Staff CAN manually VAC ban people, but that isn't their job.
They don't actively go searching for cheaters to ban...

kakkerlak
02-18-2011, 03:20 AM
We're seeing an increase in hackers in our servers over the last few weeks. Is the VAC staff on vacation or something?
Looking to get a little help here!are your server admins on vacation?

PhamousVegas
02-18-2011, 03:26 AM
are your server admins on vacation?

QFT
Why even have a server if you aren't going to administrate it properly? :\

Nekomancer
02-18-2011, 04:15 AM
VAC isn't a replacement for admins, it's a tool to help admins to keep their server cheater free by banning known cheaters automatically. Nothing more, nothing less.

EnemyLinez3
02-18-2011, 05:42 AM
I got a nuketown 24/7 for a few days and got my money back within the 5 day guarentee.

Then just added all the bans to my proper server. ;)

Seems most hackers hang out in nuketown servers lol

bejayel
02-18-2011, 08:06 AM
QFT
Why even have a server if you aren't going to administrate it properly? :\

Why do people insist on constantly filling server with children admins or servers that are never administered anyway?

I had a well admined BO server for a couple months, but it rarely saw any action. Meanwhile, the only servers that actually have people in them are the 24/7 nuketown and the ones that never have an admin online.

People complain about hackers and then don't bother to fill servers that actually have admins online and checking in on the server fairly consistently.

Yeah, I canceled that server a while ago. It wasn't worth my time to watch my server be empty.

LesMoore
02-18-2011, 08:27 AM
VAC isn't a replacement for admins, it's a tool to help admins to keep their server cheater free by banning known cheaters automatically. Nothing more, nothing less.

Excellent point...VAC is a cheat punishment program...

Wertoret
02-18-2011, 09:19 AM

except in mw2/bo

memo13
02-18-2011, 09:57 AM
Yes Hackers are getting bad again the new thing with BO is aimbots and walling i have banned a few from our servers and reported them maybe yall should team up with PB or someone to get more help to improve this game

Gone'Postal
02-18-2011, 12:36 PM
except in mw2/bo

Why BO?

PhamousVegas
02-18-2011, 01:50 PM
maybe yall should team up with PB or someone to get more help to improve this game

Not going to happen... the users have no say in what anti-cheat a game uses.
It's not going to get changed to PB now.

Doesn't matter though, there wouldn't be any less cheaters with PB.

aiwnjoo
02-19-2011, 08:37 AM
There will be less cheaters on the OBE than the HL1 Engine, VAC3 is now running on the OBE which means more cheats "should hopefully" be detected through syscalls and scangates but it won't stop them entirely.

skannerz22
02-19-2011, 01:09 PM
Yes Hackers are getting bad again the new thing with BO is aimbots and walling i have banned a few from our servers and reported them maybe yall should team up with PB or someone to get more help to improve this gamepunkbuster (pb) isn't a server protection.. it auto runs in your proccess list and detects if you are cheating on the game in which pb was installed by like need for speed undercover and.. anti cheats are fail their useless it is very easy to bypass them for example hacking your health in gta4 by disabling the microsoft live anticheat then doing what ever to the game :P:o

_Budweiser_
02-21-2011, 05:33 AM
There will be less cheaters on the OBE than the HL1 Engine, VAC3 is now running on the OBE which means more cheats "should hopefully" be detected through syscalls and scangates but it won't stop them entirely.

What's OBE? ( I feel dumb)

VAC3, eh? I'm not doubting your post, It sounds good there's a new/improved version of VAC system, surely this should be (at least eventually, pending whatever) implented in all VAC secured games?

---

Anyway, back to the topic:
I would suspect, that hackers / cheat creators have (recently???) discovered somne 'neat new loophole' or such. Presumably, once the evidence arrives for the Valve guys, they need to analyse the method of the cheat and develop the means to detect it accurately without triggering false-positives. I doubt this is simple in practice, who knows how long it might take? Then, once it's ready and tested etc. it's implemented into VAC and the cheaters get flagged with delayed bans - hopefully it's only a matter of time...

---

I do believe (Might need clarification here) That there ARE certain cheatring elements and exploits that cannot be detected by VAC. Not through a particular failure of the system, but more due to legal restrictions on what VAC is "allowed" to 'look at', with regards to data privacy and 'digital trespass'. Some of these cheats have effects that can be identified and acted upon still, but ot all.

Ace42
02-23-2011, 12:22 AM
I do believe (Might need clarification here) That there ARE certain cheatring elements and exploits that cannot be detected by VAC.

No-one knows how VAC works; if they're not telling people why they're banned, they're not gonna tell them how they're banned, but I'd speculate that it works by monitoring CPU usage and checking for injected code primarily; with some secondary checks for modified files on the HDD to catch "stupid" (oldschool) cheaters out.

We know that some people got banned for hardware problems, but have seen them unbanned and heard "this will no longer happen" from on high; which makes me think their legal-eagles have said "You can't offer this service and then deny people something they've bought just because their hardware broke", and stopped them from checking on modified video driver aim-bots, etc.

So yes, I'd say you're probably right, there's probably a load of "hard" hacks (which tend to be less effectual than modifying game code directly, live or otherwise) that VAC simply can't act on. Never mind the fact that checking HDD data for modified game files will require a degree of heuristics, which will mean that definitions need to be updated routinely to find matches, which means private hacks will simply not be found unless the coincidentally have aspects to them that overlap with public ones.