PDA

View Full Version : steam games that play better with a gamepad

meekle
02-22-2011, 02:52 AM
alright so I really am a fan of keyboard and mouse and tend to beat / play a lot of games that say you should use a gamepad with a keyboard and mouse instead because i like it better .. but I just hooked up a logetec pad that looks like a playstation 2 controller so any suggestions on games that would be good to play on this?

super meat boy really is easier to play with the gamepad .. but i dont think the game is very good.. like it sucks in comparison to mario world if you know what i mean..

and I already beat rocket knight with the keyboard just fine.. lol

racing games seem to be better with the pad too .. the only one i tried is grid .. and I think the game sucks.

any suggestions?

thanks

franjrp92
02-22-2011, 03:07 AM
Just Cause 2
Prototype

And many more... But those are my best suggestions.

psihomir2
02-22-2011, 03:16 AM
Does it have to be a Steam game? I've been playing Spelunky (http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=4017.0) lately and I'm considering getting a pad just for it :D

(it's free, btw)

Aemony
02-22-2011, 03:25 AM
http://store.steampowered.com/search/?sort_by=Metascore&sort_order=DESC&category1=998&category2=18

Pick one of the 191 available.

psihomir2
02-22-2011, 03:27 AM
http://store.steampowered.com/search/?sort_by=Metascore&sort_order=DESC&category1=998&category2=18

Pick one of the 191 available.

"Games that play better with a gamepad"

*top 10 are almost all shooters, including TF2*

There's a difference between "supports a gamepad" and "plays better with one", dude... :D

Aemony
02-22-2011, 03:48 AM
"Games that play better with a gamepad"

*top 10 are almost all shooters, including TF2*

There's a difference between "supports a gamepad" and "plays better with one", dude... :D

I know but if games are played better or not with a gamepad is highly individual. This is a short list of the PC games I think plays better with a gamepad:

Bioshock
Street Fighter IV
Super Meat Boy
GTA IV
Left 4 Dead 2
Psychonauts
RE5
Prince of Persia
Bionic Commando
Tomb Raider
Borderlands

I can go on, but most games which have support for a gameplay is often played better with one. at least to me, simply because using a gamepad feels better than using the keyboard and mouse. A gamepad allows you to lay back and relax in a way a keyboard and mouse doesn't allow you to. Heck, I'd love to be able to use my 360 controller in ME2 on the PC as well... Such a shame they couldn't support both controller peripherals.

And yes, I'm a PC gamer and I don't want to turn this into a boring unnecessary gamepad vs. kb/m flamewar.

Scared
02-22-2011, 03:55 AM
Bioshock
Left 4 Dead 2
Borderlands

Bioshock works better on a gamepad because the PC controls are horribly broken, but L4D2 and Borderlands control perfectly fine on keyboard + mouse so play better with those.

Europhoria
02-22-2011, 04:57 AM
I preferred Burnout Paradise with a controller.

ShaggyDK
02-22-2011, 04:58 AM
GTAIV-How anyone could play with a kb-mouse..

Portal

Boarderlands-I normally hate FPS with the controller but this game is better with a controller.

DiRT 2-Steering Wheel>360 controller>KB&M

Half-Life 2-To me It's the most relaxing game ever.. So I love to lay in bed and play.

Thief: Deadly Shadows- If you use pinnacle and download the Thief setup from their site.

Chapa9dj
02-22-2011, 05:11 AM
Just Cause 2
GTA IV & EfLC
DiRT2
Burnout Paradise
Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2
Beat Hazard
Super Meat boy
Bully
Assassins Creed 1 & 2
Blur
Braid
Mafia II
Dead Rising 2

All of them and many more played with 360 Wired Gamepad.

divine_skills
02-22-2011, 05:15 AM
I would only play sports, beat em up and racing games with a gamepad

Tried Just Cause 2 with my Logitech F310, horrible experience.

Endsieg
02-22-2011, 05:19 AM
Not many games, DEFINATLEY not Jc2 and gta 4 like some post in here..

Not any FPS game or third person shooter.
Actually no game that requires the use of a crosshair.

_MAYBE_ a few arcades/racing games could be played with a controller, but they works just as fine with kbnm.

ShaggyDK
02-22-2011, 05:56 AM
Not many games, DEFINATLEY not Jc2 and gta 4 like some post in here..

Not any FPS game or third person shooter.
Actually no game that requires the use of a crosshair.

_MAYBE_ a few arcades/racing games could be played with a controller, but they works just as fine with kbnm.

If you ever use a 360 controller with those games? The 360 controllers are absolutely perfect as controllers get.

borg_7_of_9
02-22-2011, 06:35 AM
Bioshock works better on a gamepad because the PC controls are horribly broken, but L4D2 and Borderlands control perfectly fine on keyboard + mouse so play better with those.

I whipped BIOSHOCK with a Logitech G7 and K/board ..:eek: to the controller..

GRID, NFS series racing game's are all great with a pad, Buckets of blood but I still prefer the Mighty mouse & K/board

Internet
02-22-2011, 06:44 AM
Portal

Don't make me laugh.

KingFisher316
02-22-2011, 07:15 AM
Personally I don't understand how people can prefer a gamepad for fps's.

I only use my pad for 3rd person shooters.

Nisseman
02-22-2011, 07:26 AM
Only I know is.
Super meat boy
Recettear:An item shops tale.
Saints Row 2 (Driving is horrible with keyboard, because the car turns way to much)

AsheMan
02-22-2011, 07:31 AM
Deathspank, Darksiders, Shank, Devil May Cry 4, Lara Croft: Guardian of Light, Prototype, Mini Ninjas, and Trine are a few decent games to use a gamepad with.

Crab
02-22-2011, 09:57 AM
Anything 2D or racing, really. Super Meat Boy, Blur, Super Crate Box, I Wanna Be The Guy.... oh wait, those aren't all on Steam :P Shatter, however, plays better with a mouse for instance.

I don't understand how third person shooters are any different from first person, but whatever. Well, besides the fact most of 'em start out on consoles anyway.

If it doesn't require too many buttons, it should work too, and it's often better.

This is highly subjective, but gamepads aren't great for accuracy though.

Nisseman
02-22-2011, 10:01 AM
Anything 2D or racing, really. Super Meat Boy, Blur, Super Crate Box, I Wanna Be The Guy.... oh wait, those aren't all on Steam :P Shatter, however, plays better with a mouse for instance.

I don't understand how third person shooters are any different from first person, but whatever. Well, besides the fact most of 'em start out on consoles anyway.

If it doesn't require too many buttons, it should work too, and it's often better.

This is highly subjective, but gamepads aren't great for accuracy though.
BUT HOW DO I PRESS "R" TO TRY AGAIN WITH A GAMEPAD IN IWBTG??!?!

Kiya
02-22-2011, 10:02 AM
The ones that I prefer to play with a controller are Mini Ninjas and Lara Croft: Guardian of light.

I also have Indigo prophecy which I found to be impossible to play with mouse+keyboard, unfortunately it also does not recognise the right analogue stick for my Xbox360 controller - apparantly it recognises the Logitech Dual Action gamepad properly if you have one of those.

blade416
02-22-2011, 10:25 AM
Batman: Arkham Asylum seemed to be easier with a controller.
As others have stated, a lot of the racing games are easier with a controller.