PDA

View Full Version : Gabe throws a hint of possible future Valve game

kaydee
02-22-2011, 07:19 PM
http://www.thesteamcast.com/episodes/47/

Episode #47: Gabe Newell 2011 Interview, Part 1
Part 1 of 2. We present the second Gabe Newell interview thanks to community member backstepper. Newell answers a range of questions submitted by the community.

Newell: Well a lot of the ideas for Propsero have sort of influenced our other games subsequently. So, you know, wether or not we actually go back and do that specific game I don’t know, it actually has a lot of appeal to us, we’re all sort of fond of it. Nothing every really dies here, it’s just a question how long until we get around to doing it. We just have so many opportunities to do so many different things. I mean I even get emailed from people saying ‘What about Ricochet 2?’, which is kind of astonishing. We actually have twenty six people who’s first Valve game they every bought was Ricochet on Steam so like I said nothing ever appears to ever really die, you just haven’t gotten around to doing it yet so I’d put Propsero into the camp. And even further back than Propsero, the other game that Mike [Harrington] and I were talking about before we’d even had anybody other than us working on it was a submarine game. Mike was absolutely certain there was an opportunity to create fantastic underwater visuals and gameplay, so if people want to know the even furtherest back thing we have haven’t gotten around to shipping yet it would have to be the unnamed submarine game.

Wooooooo Can't wait! Although we don't know when...
Mr. Newell, what about EP3?

stillmatic07
02-22-2011, 07:25 PM
Submarines meet l4d(sea monsters/invaders) meet bioshock(underwater base capture) :eek:

Tell me that wouldn't be insane.

GirlPower23
02-22-2011, 07:30 PM
Why does some of this transcript feel like a copy and paste from Gabes interview with the High Schoolers?

sad_ism
02-22-2011, 07:36 PM
Can you actually see water when you're in a submarine? I bet you play an experimental organism that detects and tracks human craft in the deep sea. (Technically, anything under the sea is sub-marine, and if we're gonna be conjecturous... :D)

spacebug
02-22-2011, 07:38 PM
I don't think it was a hint so much as a "here's an idea we thought was cool that we never got round to doing".

bdmason
02-22-2011, 07:46 PM
I don't think it was a hint so much as a "here's an idea we thought was cool that we never got round to doing".

This.

/thread

kaydee
02-22-2011, 07:48 PM
Can you actually see water when you're in a submarine? I bet you play an experimental organism that detects and tracks human craft in the deep sea. (Technically, anything under the sea is sub-marine, and if we're gonna be conjecturous... :D)

Ummmmm... what about the subs in Titanic? I thought those subs were real... I bet it plays like Bioshock bigdaddy's screen with Descent play style.

GirlPower23
02-22-2011, 07:50 PM
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Half-Life-Portal-2-Left-4-Dead-Steamcast,12244.html

Hehe Looks like tomshardware decided to publish an article on the speculation to.

Amy
02-22-2011, 07:52 PM
Episode 3 Bioshock Edition.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Half-Life-Portal-2-Left-4-Dead-Steamcast,12244.html

Hehe Looks like tomshardware decided to publish an article on the speculation to.

I kinda lol, because he talked about the PC in third.

Portal 2 is slated to hit the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC/Macs in April.

sad_ism
02-22-2011, 07:58 PM
Ummmmm... what about the subs in Titanic? I thought those subs were real... I bet it plays like Bioshock bigdaddy's screen with Descent play style.

A robotic sub then, eh? I guess that works too. Robotic subs don't do much besides take pictures though...

joeylawn
02-22-2011, 08:06 PM
Das Boot: Das Spiel?

Blackops
02-22-2011, 08:23 PM

This and it might just be something he works on randomly as a side project.

Amy
02-22-2011, 08:33 PM
Each "tire" of Gabe's belly can work on a different game while he's coding episode 3 with a Broom. BROOOMER! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCHP1p3iXwo) (Inb4NoitsjustmeGabeNewell)

RJackson
02-22-2011, 08:47 PM
Why does some of this transcript feel like a copy and paste from Gabes interview with the High Schoolers?

The Steamcast interview & video conference were both done relatively recently, so Gabe had the same sorts of things on his mind to talk about.

FreemanForPrez
02-22-2011, 09:18 PM
"Left 4 Fish Food"
Battle zombie octopi in exciting multiplayer or co-op mode.
Beat them with squid, stab them with sea urchins, or simply strangle them with kelp, the choice is yours...

bluz74
02-22-2011, 09:22 PM
Cousteau Strike: Sonar?

joeylawn
02-22-2011, 09:45 PM
Sea Hunt:The Game

slicendice777
02-22-2011, 10:04 PM
Cant believe no1 thought this could also be part of HL2 EP3
seeing as there obviously there going to the Borealis, a GIANT ship in the OCEAN, couldn't it be possible it could be part of it, like a level where your wandering in underwater ice caverns, or in a submarine shooting torpedoes at the Borealises engines, if its trying to run away. Though not probably, its possible, so it gives you something to think about.

Jderz
02-22-2011, 10:06 PM
Simulation of Gabe eating a submarine sandwich naked in bath tub.

Remember I called it here first.

Moe45673
02-22-2011, 11:12 PM
Man, Ricochet was a fun game. Too bad the community is long gone.

hahaokayman
02-22-2011, 11:17 PM
Operation Neptune (DOS game) with present day graphics.

Woot

Jinoruizraged
02-23-2011, 07:51 PM
lol@silly reporting.

Valve doesn't forget game ideas. They'll make a Seattle Seahawks game too if they get around to it.

STEELCITY32
02-23-2011, 09:53 PM
Oh hell yes! I can tell that it is going to be ♥♥♥♥ing AWESOME.
THIS is it.
THIS is the game that will put Valve on the map :p.

Teron16
02-23-2011, 09:59 PM
"HAHA, boy they swallowed that one" -Gabe