PDA

View Full Version : Seriously FUBAR!

twipps
02-22-2011, 10:56 PM
Sooo, I just found out what FUBAR means today. And to think all this time, I just thought Bill was speaking nonsense.. Please tell me I'm not the only one lol.

Smear
02-22-2011, 11:40 PM
You're all alone, mate. "FUBAR", or "F***ed up beyond all recognition", if I remember correctly, was a term used by hopsital and ambulance staff to alert each other secretly on the condition of incomming cases. Another common one was: "GOOMER" (Go-Mer). "Get Out Of My Emergency Room", used to tell nursing staff that they suspected a person was just a whiner or a faker or someone who could have waited to be treated by a doctor.

That's my understanding. It MAY NOT BE FACT... Don't quote me.

Lildaani
02-22-2011, 11:57 PM
It's my understanding that FUBAR is more of a military term, actually.. never heard of it used in a medical sense.

The_insane_3004
02-23-2011, 12:16 AM
"♥♥♥♥ed up beyond all recognition"
"♥♥♥♥ed up beyond all reason"
"♥♥♥♥ed up beyond all repair"

either or, I have heard it all three ways :)

Kinkade!
02-23-2011, 12:18 AM
FUBAR was part of the storyline in Saving private Ryan

Which is a film you must see.

SSgt_LuLZ
02-23-2011, 12:41 AM

Which is a film you must see.
I just finished watching it an hour ago! I immediately thought of the movie after reading the OP.

Apparently 'FUBAR' is in German (lol)..... :cool:

Smear
02-23-2011, 01:14 AM
It was around the place Juuuusssttt a little before Saving Private Ryan. Like... Twenty or thirty years. Maybe sixty to one hundred. Maybe just a smidge more. *Contiues to exaggerate* I think Caine described Able that way.

"Where art your brother, Able?"
"Am I my brothers keeper??"
"His blood doth cry to me from the earth."
"FINE! Fine, okay? I beat him to death with the jaw bone of an ♥♥♥, are you happy now!? He's FUBAR! I've commited the first murder... You think I'm sorry, huh? Well I'm NOT! You were all 'ooohhh Able your lamb sacrifice is SOOO good', 'oh Able, you're so much better then your brother Caine'... Well now I've sacrificed the most important lamb in my parents flock to you. DO YOU LOVE ME NOW?!"

Keldorn
02-23-2011, 02:04 AM
Bill had line too I thought was nonsense, saying "I'm about to buy the farm". But after googling it all made sense. lol

RugbyOddjob
02-23-2011, 02:09 AM
It was around the place Juuuusssttt a little before Saving Private Ryan. Like... Twenty or thirty years. Maybe sixty to one hundred. Maybe just a smidge more. *Contiues to exaggerate* I think Caine described Able that way.

"Where art your brother, Able?"
"Am I my brothers keeper??"
"His blood doth cry to me from the earth."
"FINE! Fine, okay? I beat him to death with the jaw bone of an ♥♥♥, are you happy now!? He's FUBAR! I've commited the first murder... You think I'm sorry, huh? Well I'm NOT! You were all 'ooohhh Able your lamb sacrifice is SOOO good', 'oh Able, you're so much better then your brother Caine'... Well now I've sacrificed the most important lamb in my parents flock to you. DO YOU LOVE ME NOW?!"

Nope. You're a wanker ;)

McKracken
02-23-2011, 03:00 AM
I once heard that it has similar origins as "krauts". It is a german word that got picked up by U.S. soldiers in ww2. There is a word that remotely sound like fubar, which means terrible or awful.

Smear
02-23-2011, 03:13 AM
Nope. You're a wanker ;)

Anyman that calls me a wanker shall be a wanker seven fold! *Caine joke*

Monochrom
02-23-2011, 03:41 AM
I once heard that it has similar origins as "krauts". It is a german word that got picked up by U.S. soldiers in ww2. There is a word that remotely sound like fubar, which means terrible or awful.

Furchtbar sounds like FUBAR at best when an Idiot is saying it.

whirlmaster
02-23-2011, 04:25 AM
It's my understanding that FUBAR is more of a military term, actually.. never heard of it used in a medical sense.

This. From my understanding, FUBAR was used in the military to express they were in a sticky situation. Another variation is TARFUN(Things are really F****** up now.)

henrikhe
02-23-2011, 05:20 AM
Furchtbar sounds like FUBAR at best when an Idiot is saying it.

if you try to repeat a word in a language you are not familiar with you will prolly sound like an idiot.

soulripper
02-23-2011, 05:25 AM

Which is a film you must have seen.

fix'd