PDA

View Full Version : How can I play this game with an offline GFWL profile?

TetraNitro
02-22-2011, 11:07 PM
I just got Bulletstorm downloaded and installed. Much to my surprise, it automatically installed the standalone Games for Windows Live client. Okay, I didn't want that, but whatever. So I tried to play the game, only to be told to log in to access multiplayer functions.

Well I only want single player functions.

I went ahead and jumped through all the hoops, though. I made a GFWL account, and then registered the game for online activation. That's what the Devs said, right? GFWL was only necessary for a one-time activation online, and then you can use an offline account, if you want to.

But wait! First GFWL wants to download an update. Nevermind it JUST INSTALLED. So I went ahead and did that. It downloads the patch, and then says to exit the game so it can install. BUT I CAN'T EXIT THE GAME. Do you know why? Because you can't access the FLIPPING MAIN MENU without logging in to GFWL online! Even Alt+F4 doesn't work! So I have to alt-tab and close the program from windows. The install goes through for the patch, and now there are two new programs constantly running in the background of my computer, and a new service has installed itself, too. Didn't want any of that garbage, at all.

But whatever, I guess. I can manage that. That's not too bad.

So now I can finally enter my serial key for GFWL, and see the main menu for the first time.

But what's this? I can't access ANYTHING without logging in, even after registration?

So I guess the developers were wrong. This game requires an always-on internet connection. Logging out of your profile at ANY time boots you to the main menu. Attempts to log in to the game using an offline profile will launch a new browser window to get you to sign up for a live account.

So that's a long winded way of venting, because I've been battling GFWL for the last two hours. But I also want to ask:

Is there a way I can use an offline profile to play this game, like the developers said would be possible? Or did they lie? Sorry to pour out my frustration, but good gravy, this has been irritating.

sekhu
02-22-2011, 11:12 PM
hmmm. I think you have to press HOME at the start and it should give yout he option of setting up a local profile. I can't rem exactly though. Hopefully someone else can explain beter. It'd be good for me to learn too since I don't really want to go through what you went through! :P

TetraNitro
02-22-2011, 11:15 PM
hmmm. I think you have to press HOME at the start and it should give yout he option of setting up a local profile. I can't rem exactly though. Hopefully someone else can explain beter. It'd be good for me to learn too since I don't really want to go through what you went through! :P

When I do that, it just gives me the option to launch a browser window and sign up for an GFWL account, or else start the process over again.

SnarKs
02-22-2011, 11:36 PM
When you click "create new profile" a new dialog box should pop up in game telling you about creating an account, and if you scroll down there is blue text, "create local profile". Click that.

On the other hand if a dialog box appears saying the game requires an online profile to play then you cannot. This sounds like what is happening. This is exactly what happens when you try to play Blacklight Tango Down.

This is what you want to appear when you click create new profile - http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/SeRviLy/batman.jpg

This is what it sounds like is showing up-
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/SeRviLy/blacklight.jpg
Followed by -
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/SeRviLy/blacklight2.jpg

CalmWind23
02-22-2011, 11:39 PM
Tutorial: http://forums.gamesforwindows.com/t/7889.aspx

TetraNitro
02-23-2011, 06:59 AM
SnarKs, CalmWind23, thank you both very much for the tips. I followed them as much as I could, particularly the video in the link you provided, CalmWind. I was able to MAKE an offline profile, but BulletStorm will NOT let me play with an offline profile. :/

Sadly, this game looks to have always-online DRM, despite the denials of the developers.

eXistentialMisa
02-23-2011, 07:18 AM
Yeah I just tried what you were doing and it does not work!
I had previously made a local profile from RE5, signed in correctly but can't get to main menu of BulletStorm saying I need LIVE account to play online.
I tried making a new local profile with the same message.

This doesn't bother me, but will probably bother some people out there!

TetraNitro
02-23-2011, 07:23 AM
Yeah I just tried what you were doing and it does not work!
I had previously made a local profile from RE5, signed in correctly but can't get to main menu of BulletStorm saying I need LIVE account to play online.
I tried making a new local profile with the same message.

This doesn't bother me, but will probably bother some people out there!

If it's true that the game requires a persistent internet connection, I'll be more than a little pissed!

Mostly because People Can Fly and Epic ASSURED us that this would not be the case. So, if I need a persistent internet connection to play the game, I'd feel lied to.

SnarKs
02-23-2011, 04:17 PM
That is really quite a big disappointment. Although I did buy splinter cell conviction, ubisoft also put a required internet connection to play that too. I don't like it, but I never had problems with it, but others have.

Hmm, in that forum topic it sounds like people are saying you have to sign into a live account first to activate it. Then you can play offline. (yeah, went back and reread. You have to activate the game key while signed into your live account, then you can play offline)

In Batman Arkym Asylum I activate the game before starting it up then I can either sign into my live account or use my offline profile.

TetraNitro
02-23-2011, 04:36 PM
That is really quite a big disappointment. Although I did buy splinter cell conviction, ubisoft also put a required internet connection to play that too. I don't like it, but I never had problems with it, but others have.

Hmm, in that forum topic it sounds like people are saying you have to sign into a live account first to activate it. Then you can play offline. (yeah, went back and reread. You have to activate the game key while signed into your live account, then you can play offline)

In Batman Arkym Asylum I activate the game before starting it up then I can either sign into my live account or use my offline profile.

Sadly, if you read that whole linked thread, it states that you CAN'T use an offline profile at all. I've verified this. Even after activation, you can't use an offline profile. You have to use the profile you connected to register with, and there's no way to play that offline short of just yanking the cord out of your computer or router to cause a network failure.

You need a LIVE Enabled profile to be able to connect to LIVE and register the 5x5 activation key. An Offline only / Local Profile can't connect to LIVE so it can't report up the activation key that is required to play the game.

There is not a 'log my LIVE Enabled profile in offline mode' option through GFWL. It happens when your PC can't connect to the LIVE service. The easiest way to test this is to disconnect your network adapter (unplug your LAN cable) sign-in and then re-connect it. Or disconnect it for a second after signing in. Since it can't connect or talk to LIVE it will go into 'signed in offline' mode and notify you through a pop up that you are in that mode.

SnarKs
02-23-2011, 04:40 PM
Ive read it, it still sounds like after you have done what they say to activate the game you can still play offline. But I do not own the game so I really cant confirm it myself.

I hope that clears up some confusion that there has been about this. So in short you CAN play Bulletstorm without an internet connection, after you have successfully loaded / recovered your LIVE Enabled account for the game to your PC once and successfully submitted your 5x5 LIVE access key for the game.

Posted by the same guy you quoted.

sekhu
02-23-2011, 04:41 PM
damn well it shouldn't be a problem for me, my connection is pretty stable but i feel for those that don't. And it;s a big omission by someone (MS? PCF? Epic?) to not mention this as I'm sure it would cause many to reconsider playing a game with always online drm.

Still having said that, I'm still going ahead with the purchases and look forward to playing.

Just to clarify, an offline profile's purpose is to just play offline? What other "features" does it provide?

TetraNitro
02-23-2011, 04:42 PM
Ive read it, it still sounds like after you have done what they say to activate the game you can still play offline. But I do not own the game so I really cant confirm it myself.

Like I said, I've tried it, it doesn't work. So have others, sadly. But in another thread on this board (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20965930&postcount=130) a user had the good idea of blocking GFWL via the firewall. That might force the game into offline mode, if it fails to communicate with the internet.

SnarKs
02-23-2011, 04:52 PM
Just to clarify, an offline profile's purpose is to just play offline? What other "features" does it provide?

It provides safety while playing a game. It can be upsetting to lose your internet connection for whatever reason while playing singleplayer and be booted out of the game. It is also very nice for the traveling gamer.

neems
02-24-2011, 06:21 AM
It would appear on mine that if I refuse to sign into GFWL, it signs me in in offline mode. All I need to do now is stop the game hard locking my pc.

jjspaceman
06-20-2014, 04:02 PM
Had the same problem when I ordered through Origin. It will let me sign into my offline profile, but won't get past the start screen unless I sign into an online one, which I'd rather not do/have, especially with MS pulling the plug on GFWL. Freaking lame that they still sell the game and refuse to patch this out of it.