PDA

View Full Version : PS3 or PC?

emansousa
02-24-2011, 10:54 AM
Heya guys!

Just wanted a quick recommendation on how optimised is this game for the PC. I have both PC and PS3 and I would like to know for which platform shall I buy this game. :)

Hope you're all enjoying it so far!

Thanks! :)

Decha
02-24-2011, 10:59 AM
U kiddin? Just check threads below to see rage from all over the world on game performance. It looks like its awaiting huge patch that will fix many issues.
I still cant say how it works because I have to wait 1 more day untill it will be unlocked for me. I hope I wont meet any bugs/issues mentionet on these forums (but there is so many of them that I think after all I will end up fighting with game) :(

schism84
02-24-2011, 11:10 AM
It's not very well optimised on the PC, in some regards it's actually a very poor job. Once some things get patched and with some tweaking to reduce the effect of streaming (stupidly ported as is to the pc) it'll definitely yield considerably better quality on the PC.

On the bright side, it looks great on a fairly weak config and you can play with kb+m, although you will have to get rid of mouse smoothing in the game's ini files.

VividNinjaScar
02-24-2011, 12:49 PM
Da ♥♥♥♥? It runs perfectly on my PC. How is it not optimised?

Mplayer OG
02-24-2011, 12:51 PM
♥♥♥♥ing idiots probably haven't played the game. Now the game sold hundreds of thousands of PC copies. There is a vocal group of about 20-30 people on steam ♥♥♥♥♥ing up a storm, a majority of which don't even own the game. The game RUNS PERFECTLY, assuming you can run UE3 games.

Great fun, after playing the 360 and the PC versions...go with the PC. This type of game thrives with the mouse+key combo. Runs smoother and looks better on PC to boot.

Socket 775
Core2Quad Q8200 @ stock 2.33 ghz/core
4 GB DDR2
ATi 5770 1GB
Windows 7 - 64bit

1920x1080 (60hz)
All settings maxed
AA 4x
NO VSYNC
Edited FOV in ini to 100
Edited (removed) mouse smoothing in ini
Edited ini to increase fps cap (or removed it...can't remember)

Avg 55 fps
Min 50 fps
Max 80 fps

emansousa
02-24-2011, 12:52 PM
It's because of these kind of disagreements that I decided to post this thread... VividNinjaScar, do you mind posting your specs so that I can compare mine to yours?

VividNinjaScar
02-24-2011, 12:54 PM
It's because of these kind of disagreements that I decided to post this thread... VividNinjaScar, do you mind posting your specs so that I can compare mine to yours?

Sure thing:

AMD Phenom II 940
ATI Radeon 5770
8GB DDR2 RAM
Windows 7 x64 Pro

emansousa
02-24-2011, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the help guys! :) Hopefully it won't cause me any problem in the PC!

schism84
02-24-2011, 01:11 PM
I prepurchased the game and love it. Please don't troll me for no reason. The game has streaming textures and level streaming, something directly ported from consoles because it works on consoles, but has no reason to be on the PC. The random stuttering many people experience with the game is entirely due to this and could've been completely avoided. Other UE multiplatform games have had similar problems on the PC as well as texture pop-ins (that one isn't a problem in this game) due to the poolsize for texture streaming being too small.

It also ships with mouse smoothing which can only be deactivated by editing encrypted ini files. Many Nvidia users are experimenting huge problems which will likely be patched fairly soon.

I love the game and I don't suffer from any major issues. I'd definitely advise getting it on PC over another platform. But I'm not going to say it's been well optimized or ported with love because it hasn't. It's not the worst port and the NVidia launch bugs are the kind of thing that happened with PC exclusives as well in the past.

It's not possible to love the game yet recognize that some corners were lazily cut?

Btw, I also run an ATI 5770HD which is probably the main reason I have no issues with the game as opposed to the owners of GTX4xx cards, in particular.

analyst88
02-24-2011, 01:16 PM

4gigs of ram (ddr3)
AMD phenom II x4 955 (3.2ghz)
ATI Radeon HD5870 2gb

Zero issues here. Game runs great. I did turn of AA since AA never really worked well with UE3 games, and I get huge frame drops the moment there's too much smoke around.

Mplayer OG
02-24-2011, 01:17 PM
Schism is spot on, it's certainly not a perfect release, but what is or has been?

It is highly playable and while I am familiar with the texture streaming issues, I have yet to experience them in this particular title. I always recommend getting auslogic's free disk defrag program and running it after install. A clean and clear HDD has fixed many of the UE3 texture streaming/loading issues for me in the past.

Like Schism said, PC is the way to go for this game, even with its lack of polish.

schism84
02-24-2011, 01:22 PM
I have a weakish CPU and only 3GB of RAM, so the stuttering was an annoyance during scripted/prerendered sequences. Completely fixed after turning off the background level streaming and increasing the pool size for textures though.

People with higher configs might not even need to. I wish more devs would release excellent PC ports, such as Just Cause 2 (I can't speak for controls as I play it with a pad, but otherwise the engine is pure awesomeness on PC). But oh well, most of them don't. Still this game is an acceptable port, with some tweaking necessary for some (streaming) and preferable for others (mouse smoothing) and I'm confident after some patching all the real issues will have disappeared.

analyst88
02-24-2011, 01:24 PM
I have a weakish CPU and only 3GB of RAM, so the stuttering was an annoyance during scripted/prerendered sequences. Completely fixed after turning off the background level streaming and increasing the pool size for textures though.

People with higher configs might not even need to. I wish more devs would release excellent PC ports, such as Just Cause 2 (I can't speak for controls as I play it with a pad, but otherwise the engine is pure awesomeness on PC). But oh well, most of them don't. Still this game is an acceptable port, with some tweaking necessary for some (streaming) and preferable for others (mouse smoothing) and I'm confident after some patching all the real issues will have disappeared.

If you want an excellent PC port (from a technical point of view), try Modern Warfare 2. That game ran just great. Relatively low system requirements for the amount of eye-candy you got.

zombie rot
02-24-2011, 01:29 PM
well, as a gamer i own all consoles and a gaming pc and get the best version of any game i can. i personally picked this up on 360 because of the gears 3 beta (huge gears fan here) but will be picking it up on pc once i get some spare cash.

if your pc can run it get it on pc, played it over at a friends house on his rig and it ran great, and you can do some pretty awesome ♥♥♥♥ once you get that auto aim off.

schism84
02-24-2011, 01:35 PM
Ah also true, MW2 ran pretty smooth on PC.

VividNinjaScar
02-24-2011, 01:38 PM
http://forums.epicgames.com/showpost.php?p=27951732&postcount=3

Looks like the Steam overlay is slowing down Steam versions of the game.

TimM
02-24-2011, 01:46 PM
Looks like I dont get no slowdown on steam, get it on pc, and if you want to spoil yourself. On steam.

Also:

ATI Radeon 5870 1 gb
Intel Core I7 960 @ 4x3.20 Ghz
12 Gb ram
Win. 7 64 bit version.

VividNinjaScar
02-24-2011, 01:54 PM
The user that posted that has a nVidia card, so that could have something to do with it.

TimM
02-24-2011, 01:56 PM
Is the game optimized for ATI and not Nvidia... I never noticed... a rare thing.

schism84
02-24-2011, 02:50 PM
I don't know about optimized, but most of the big issues are on NVidia, particularly the 4xx series. Only serious problem on ATI has been a diagonal line artefact caused by the light shafts, fixed by turning them off and waiting for it to be patched. I forgot which series it affects, but it's not the 5xxx.

TimM
02-24-2011, 02:52 PM
I don't know about optimized, but most of the big issues are on NVidia, particularly the 4xx series. Only serious problem on ATI has been a diagonal line artefact caused by the light shafts, fixed by turning them off and waiting for it to be patched. I forgot which series it affects, but it's not the 5xxx.

Alrighty then, thank you. Got 5870 1 gb myself.

Foulplay
02-24-2011, 05:29 PM

I hope its not the 6 series, or I'll cry lol, I got a 6950 3 weeks ago.

schism84
02-24-2011, 05:37 PM
You should be able to find it in a specific thread (diagonal line). For now simply turning off the god beams solves it. I'm sure it'll be part of the unavoidable patch though.