PDA

View Full Version : historical fail :)

wickys
02-24-2011, 10:52 PM
Anyone ever won the first historical battle?
I always seem to get crushed and then my "friend" also attacks me. Do I even have a chance?

sillyjerry30
02-25-2011, 12:43 AM
Yes i've won ..i positioned my troops near those horse mounted guys.. they will attack the enemy even if the computer says they wont :P

But still lost most of my troops and got a lil lucky

may
02-25-2011, 01:13 AM
There is another thread called Historic Battle (Did you win?)
We posted there ways to win... even on very hard ;)

JetFuel
02-25-2011, 03:02 AM
Possible to win but historically you're supposed to lose anyway

wickys
02-25-2011, 06:26 AM
oh.
lol whats the point if you are going to lose anyway

Neverpleased
02-25-2011, 06:58 AM
Anyone ever won the first historical battle?
I always seem to get crushed and then my "friend" also attacks me. Do I even have a chance?

I did, lost about 50% troops. You just need to link up the main lines. The enemy is scripted so you have a good 5 minutes in total before rudimentary demo AI kicks in and sends new orders.

I suggest you position just next or behind the green forces. They will be drawn into battle than and will kill about 500 troops for you. Also the hill provides you cover from archers and powder troops forcing them to march much closer than they should allowing you cavalry to just waste them from behind.

TheECP
02-25-2011, 06:12 PM
It's possible to win, I just put all my troops on the hill where my general is.

salad10203
02-25-2011, 06:37 PM
This is only my second Total War but I love it. I was also getting crushed. What I did is at the very beginning pull all your troops together and place your spearmen in front with spear formation and guard on. Then put archers in middle so they can decent attacking range. Lastly, put your general and horseman in the back so you don't lose morale. Once troops are stuck in your spearmen send either your cavalry or samurai to flank them. Also remember to place some troops on the river banks if they try to flank you. Put them in guard formation and have the archers take em out while they are stuck there.

Lastly, remember archers have a fire mode and I focused them on other ranged attacks because I believe friendly fire is a pretty big morale killer. Try to keep your troops close and don't let them chase down routing enemies. This worked for me and was very satisfying, definitely thinking of picking this up.

BGH122
02-25-2011, 09:02 PM
oh.
lol whats the point if you are going to lose anyway

They do this a lot on Total War games. One can fight both Bunker Hill and the Battle of Hastings on the 'losing' side and win. Half the fun is in playing insanely hard battles to test oneself.