PDA

View Full Version : Steam version = No Hattori?

Infiltrator
02-25-2011, 11:01 AM
Was looking forward to this game, but it seems it's a no-buy. Only retail stores are offering the clan I wanted to play as (with the "Limited" preorder edition), among other benefits.

In all honesty, this isn't a typical deal-breaker. The game looks good, but I want to let the publisher know they can't treat me like a 2nd rate customer because I don't have the luxory of pre-order retail stores where I live.

Just thought I'd warn people who don't know about that here.

Neverpleased
02-25-2011, 11:54 AM
Well the unit packs are released a few months later so this really is not a deal breaker if you want to be flexible. Steam will probably even put it on sale at some point for something like 75% off.

The thing is developers and publishers don't care about your one purchase. They get MUCH MUCH more money from Gamestop and other stores by selling them exclusive units.

But this bull♥♥♥♥ has been going on since Empire (the time the games started to fall apart) and hopefully Shogun 2 will not be one of the strike outs this time.

white_ronin
02-25-2011, 12:39 PM
Was looking forward to this game, but it seems it's a no-buy. Only retail stores are offering the clan I wanted to play as (with the "Limited" preorder edition), among other benefits.

In all honesty, this isn't a typical deal-breaker. The game looks good, but I want to let the publisher know they can't treat me like a 2nd rate customer because I don't have the luxory of pre-order retail stores where I live.

Just thought I'd warn people who don't know about that here.

Amazon.com? They offer the limited edition with the Hattori.

Infiltrator
02-25-2011, 12:51 PM
Well the unit packs are released a few months later so this really is not a deal breaker if you want to be flexible. Steam will probably even put it on sale at some point for something like 75% off.

The thing is developers and publishers don't care about your one purchase. They get MUCH MUCH more money from Gamestop and other stores by selling them exclusive units.

But this bull♥♥♥♥ has been going on since Empire (the time the games started to fall apart) and hopefully Shogun 2 will not be one of the strike outs this time.

I realize perfectly that I will not matter much in the big scheme of things. I'm just saying that I am probably not the only guy that is disappointed with such customer service. Things like cosmetic gameplay elements - I do not mind, but this is a whole faction that's taken out for the sake of preorders. I find it very dishonorable (pun intended) for Shogun to be shipping like that.

White_ronin - I don't want to deal with amazon. Steam is the only reliable and quick way for me to get games.

Neverpleased
02-25-2011, 01:06 PM
I realize perfectly that I will not matter much in the big scheme of things. I'm just saying that I am probably not the only guy that is disappointed with such customer service. Things like cosmetic gameplay elements - I do not mind, but this is a whole faction that's taken out for the sake of preorders. I find it very dishonorable (pun intended) for Shogun to be shipping like that.

White_ronin - I don't want to deal with amazon. Steam is the only reliable and quick way for me to get games.

Well amazon is a reliable source, that's where I import my Layton games (they localized them so you can't get them in English). Plus the price is often on the lighter side.

However the Hattori were a much smaller clan, so small it probably won't impact your game. But don't think you're alone on these pre-order exclusives bull♥♥♥♥.

I freaking raged when I saw that Rockstar announced that LA Noire would feature 5 pre-order exclusives.

5 FULL EXCLUSIVE MISSIONS THAT WOULD BE RIPPED OUT OF THE GAME AND SOLD TO WHICHEVER STORE BID THE HIGHEST PRICE.

♥♥♥♥ that.

BGH122
02-25-2011, 07:09 PM
Well amazon is a reliable source, that's where I import my Layton games (they localized them so you can't get them in English). Plus the price is often on the lighter side.

However the Hattori were a much smaller clan, so small it probably won't impact your game. But don't think you're alone on these pre-order exclusives bull♥♥♥♥.

I freaking raged when I saw that Rockstar announced that LA Noire would feature 5 pre-order exclusives.

5 FULL EXCLUSIVE MISSIONS THAT WOULD BE RIPPED OUT OF THE GAME AND SOLD TO WHICHEVER STORE BID THE HIGHEST PRICE.

♥♥♥♥ that.

And yet pirates get access to the entirety of the game. Great thinking there, publishers!

I wish I could boycott this game, but I'm too Total War addicted. At the very least I'm not buying it on release, their last three games have been horrible at release. I'm waiting until 1.5 since that's when they usually patch their horrific releases to a semi-playable point.

Oh yeah, the Hattori were totally insignificant:

As a famous historical figure in one of Japan's greatest periods of samurai culture, Hattori Hanzō has significant cultural resonance among admirers of that culture, both within Japan and abroad.

3asytarg3t
02-25-2011, 07:51 PM
"Waa, waaaaa" thats honestly what you all sound like.

actually these whining noises are more along the lines of a legitimate complaint

and it will bleed sales off of steam, so it's hard not to see this as a miscalculation by valve

you can go buy this somewhere else, get all the benefits steam has to offer, plus the extra content, at the same or lower price

the net-net of this offering is this: valve by way of steam is conducting an IQ test on their users, those who fail the test buy this through steam, everyone else, buys it somewhere else, and still gets the use of steam

in case that was a tad too hard to follow for you, i'll put it more plainly, anyone buying shogun 2 via steam is a pants on head MORON

salad10203
02-25-2011, 08:52 PM
It's not Steam's fault they don't have the exclusives, that would be Gamestops. If you aren't going to buy it here, fine, but don't cry and act like Steam isn't selling the full product because they are, its just Gamestop or whoever payed Sega for the exclusives.

3asytarg3t
02-25-2011, 09:28 PM
It's not Steam's fault they don't have the exclusives, that would be Gamestops. If you aren't going to buy it here, fine, but don't cry and act like Steam isn't selling the full product because they are, its just Gamestop or whoever payed Sega for the exclusives.

you can rationalize this any way you like, fact remains, you or anyone buying this via steam, given the alternatives that are superior choices, are fools -

Gabe's a big boy, doesn't need you or anyone sticking up for him - and steam is just another point of distribution, nothing more, and if they can't negotiate with the big boys for better pricing or exclusives, they don't get my business - nothing personal here, i like steam as much as the next guy, but this is a business, i don't owe valve or any company anything

here's what the alternative to buying it on steam offers:

1. more content, go read it for yourself if you haven't already
2. same or lower price
3. installs into steam just as if you bought it on steam
4. you don't have to burn bandwidth downloading 20 GB

No crying, facts, about a business, and the choices the consumer has before them.

salad10203
02-25-2011, 09:55 PM
you can rationalize this any way you like, fact remains, you or anyone buying this via steam, given the alternatives that are superior choices, are fools -

Gabe's a big boy, doesn't need you or anyone sticking up for him - and steam is just another point of distribution, nothing more, and if they can't negotiate with the big boys for better pricing or exclusives, they don't get my business - nothing personal here, i like steam as much as the next guy, but this is a business, i don't owe valve or any company anything

here's what the alternative to buying it on steam offers:

1. more content, go read it for yourself if you haven't already
2. same or lower price
3. installs into steam just as if you bought it on steam
4. you don't have to burn bandwidth downloading 20 GB

No crying, facts, about a business, and the choices the consumer has before them.

There are lots of games on Steam that have exclusives others don't. I just prefer having it in my library and don't care about the extra content. And gamestop makes you pay for download insurance. Also, I don't have a bandwith cap, so I will get it on steam.

Infiltrator
02-26-2011, 05:40 AM
There are lots of games on Steam that have exclusives others don't. I just prefer having it in my library and don't care about the extra content. And gamestop makes you pay for download insurance. Also, I don't have a bandwith cap, so I will get it on steam.

The only reason I would get it on steam is if I did not have any other option. I actually do not, I even checked amazon, they say they deliver to my country but on the checkout it says they don't (golfclap).

Still, I'm not getting it. Sega thinks they can walk with the big dogs by leeching off on a PC only market? Heh.

Neverpleased
02-26-2011, 05:50 AM
Oh yeah, the Hattori were totally insignificant:

Yes besides Hattori Hanzo and his brother nicknamed Yari Hanzo how many Hattori did make the Edo news papers?

The Hattori were a MUCH smaller clan than the others. There were literally thousands of clans in Japan but we only get the 40 (from what I heard) biggest, 10 of them being playable.

They were insignificant in the bigger picture. Just like the Camera designer in the Video game industry.

Can you tell me who did the Camera on the TW series of the top of your head? You can't. Doesn't mean he didn't do a good and important job, he/she just falls between the cracks of the bigger things like AI, graphics etc.

3asytarg3t
02-26-2011, 06:59 AM

then valve has found their perfect customer in this case, knock yourself out buddy, just don't try convincing me on behalf of valve this is a good deal they're offering you, it isn't

i can incorporate this store bought game into steam just fine, no matter how non-capped you are, i'll still have the game installed and playing it long before you do, and the extra content IS something some people are interested in

btw, telling me some games on steam have exclusives while others don't doesn't actually tell me anything, we all already knew that

next thing you know you'll be telling me, gasp, steam has sales too

Llyr
02-26-2011, 08:01 AM
Same thing here.

We can't buy on retail stores, they dont ship to my country too.
I've bought on steam just cause if I didnt, I wouldn't be able to play (unless I use pirate version).

voxdei21
02-26-2011, 11:22 AM

It's a steamworks game. Once you install the game it will be on your steam library...even if you install it from a CD. You can even download it at a later time if you like. Or you can register your CD with steam and download it from steam straight away even if you bought it from gamestop. This is why steam is the best thing that ever happened to computer games since CD's came out.

MolotoK
02-26-2011, 01:14 PM
The limited edition on Amazon.co.uk is 27.89 (32.68Euro). About 11 Euro cheaper than the steam version if you include shipping to mainland Europe.

Valve, fix your pricing models and I will buy directly from you, but I'm not paying 29% extra for a version with less features just because I don't live in the UK.

SnakeTheFox
03-14-2011, 05:04 AM
There will probably be some post-release pirate crack that unlocks the Hattori faction.

And if that crack only works with the cracked non-Steam release I guess that's what I'll get. Sorry devs, you screwed up.

Dazzled
03-14-2011, 05:22 AM
There will probably be some post-release pirate crack that unlocks the Hattori faction.

And if that crack only works with the cracked non-Steam release I guess that's what I'll get. Sorry devs, you screwed up.

It's a Steamworks game. Buy it cheaply retail, play it on Steam. You've got no d@mn excuse to pirate it.

sillyjerry30
03-14-2011, 05:46 AM
Well its the first time in literally years i bought a pc game outside of steam. (save for borderlands GOTY i managed to pick up for 23 euro even though i already had it for xbox but oh well long story)

Anyway i have some good news for ya'll ..my copy got send today. :P hihi.

Shinigami_cahil
05-30-2011, 08:56 AM
It's a steamworks game. Once you install the game it will be on your steam library...even if you install it from a CD. You can even download it at a later time if you like. Or you can register your CD with steam and download it from steam straight away even if you bought it from gamestop. This is why steam is the best thing that ever happened to computer games since CD's came out.

:)voxdei21 is right.:) The game requires steam to play (unless you get a fix for it). Selling only the standard ED on steam seems weird. Its like if you went to buy a HDTV directly from the factory, but when you got there they don't include HDMI, RCA, or even a RF connector... ya you have a HDTV but you can't watch anything on it O.o

Yes the analogy dose not fit perfectly but you get the meaning. :p

Steam should have the limited ED in addition to standard at the vary least. Yes we wouldn't get the art book (though I'm just as happy with a PDF :D) or anything like that but I would like to have the Hattori content for then anything. Even if I just play them once! I want it so I have the OPTION to play them, while others who have easy access to a gamestop (i live on a military base with no car :() can play equally with everyone else.

For CA to not release it as DLC later on is a vary poor business strategy on there part. Some would argue that its what makes the LE and the grand master set so special. True but unless they are plan to make it equal for everyone it just kills the game. I can understand the pre-order exclusives when they are more cosmetic or have an item the is good at the start but there are better items in the end. This though is part of the game i am missing. How will I know if I'm any good with Hattori? Who knows, Hattori might just be the clan I, or someone else, do the best with! God-like some might say.:cool:

Liandros76
05-30-2011, 10:12 AM
But this bull♥♥♥♥ has been going on since Empire (the time the games started to fall apart) and hopefully Shogun 2 will not be one of the strike outs this time.[/QUOTE]

I thought Empire looked like a bad idea from the beginning, the worst in the series by far, followed by Napoleon, IMO, anyway.