PDA

View Full Version : [Suggestion] Bring back the ATMOSPHERE L4D had...

BloodRaven3
02-26-2011, 05:32 PM
Hi all, ever since I switched from playing L4D to L4D2 I have missed the creepy and scary atmosphere that the first one created and I know from asking around that alot of l4d2 players feel the same way. I believe it is due to the fact that most of L4D2's campagins were played in daylight or 'lighter' conditions than the first and included carnival type music which defintely toned the scary atmosphere down. Also the fact that we as survivors have melee weapons now makes it much less dangerous if an infected gets too close. In L4D the darkness and the music was much more scarier dramatic and if you got crowded by zombies you knew you were screwed (if your team mates were bizzy). Therefore I really hope Valve implements the old music and the 'darkness' back into ColdStream and the old L4D campagins to bring back that atmosphere we loved in L4D. And maybe reduces the amount of meele weapons available. So what do you think?

By the way sorry if there is a post already on this subject.

Pylons
02-26-2011, 05:41 PM
Would they need to implement anything into the old l4d campaigns seeing as how those already have the atmosphere you're describing?

BloodRaven3
02-26-2011, 06:20 PM
Well if you play no mercy on l4d2 you get l4d2's music. E.g when a boomber pukes on you your here the carnival music from l4d2 and not the original sound track from l4d. I believe this is the case so correct me if I am wrong.

Pylons
02-26-2011, 06:49 PM
Oh, I was thinking about environment. Yeah it would be nice to hear the original boomer music, etc for the l4d1 campaigns.

junsumoney1@gma
02-26-2011, 06:51 PM
Subjective. I love both games' maps, but I love L4D2's personality and ambiance.

TheCombatMedic
02-26-2011, 06:58 PM
I never heard DC's theme playing when I get puked in No Mercy.

Some_weirdGuy
02-26-2011, 07:07 PM
darkness = creepy.
Bright, daylight filled levels are not scary, ever.
I hope cold stream has a dark/gloomy setting like most of the l4d1 maps had.

Gurluas
02-26-2011, 07:10 PM
He means that the music has been remade for l4d2, and it has.

081XxhephexX180
02-26-2011, 07:16 PM
Well if you play no mercy on l4d2 you get l4d2's music. E.g when a boomber pukes on you your here the carnival music from l4d2 and not the original sound track from l4d. I believe this is the case so correct me if I am wrong.

Oh, I was thinking about environment. Yeah it would be nice to hear the original boomer music, etc for the l4d1 campaigns.

It's the same music in both games pals.

No_wander_off
02-26-2011, 09:07 PM
It's the same music in both games pals.

this, i don't know what they hell are they talking about. :confused:

the original music has been restored in No mercy and the sacrifice.

Gurluas
02-26-2011, 10:07 PM
I was pretty sure the l4d2 music got remastered, maybe I'm just tired so I imagined things, duh

While the bacteria and maybe special infected sounds were not remastered, horde music and saferoom music is seriously... Not scary or creepy, it feels happy.

Keldorn
02-26-2011, 10:56 PM
Nothing to do with daytime. I would say too its the silly "germs" music and the new SI that ruined the atomphere l4d1 had in l4d2.
Daytime levels in l4d1 are actually awesome and a nice change.

The_insane_3004
02-26-2011, 11:02 PM
darkness = creepy.

YOU SIR ARE WRONG!!

Darkness may be creepy, but Daylight can be more than just creepy.

When it is dark, you cant see as much as you can in the light... sure this does make it creepy in the way that you don't know what might be are that corner and such... BUT IN THE DAY, you can see detail, you can see the destruction and devastation of the infection. The piles of bodies, the abandoned vehicles, the area where you can see that they desperately tried to lived but failed in the end...

Darkness has suspenseful creepiness
Light has more story, dred, and overall feeling of walking through the deserted streets of what was once a town of unsuspecting victims...

My point is light levels can be scary, you just have to not be a blunt, unforgiving fan and actually look at the work they put in the levels

Gamingliker
02-27-2011, 01:14 AM
YOU SIR ARE WRONG!!

When it is dark, you cant see as much as you can in the light... sure this does make it creepy in the way that you don't know what might be are that corner and such... BUT IN THE DAY, you can see detail, you can see the destruction and devastation of the infection. The piles of bodies, the abandoned vehicles, the area where you can see that they desperately tried to lived but failed in the end...

Light has more story, dred, and overall feeling of walking through the deserted streets of what was once a town of unsuspecting victims...

My point is light levels can be scary, you just have to not be a blunt, unforgiving fan and actually look at the work they put in the levels

You Sir,is correct but not in terms of L4D
To fufill the daylight effect,they gotta add more blood splatters,dead survivors, exploding special infected(Odd that sometimes shooting the SI they dont have gore)
We need survivor ragdolls too,who cares about defibs :D

mAd-
02-27-2011, 01:30 AM
We need survivor ragdolls too,who cares about defibs :D

Uhm, me? People who play Realism Expert?

How about shooting ragdoll until we find defibs? Nope.

I think Valve cannot really ruin atmospheres that old campaigns have. They aren't probably converting them to daylight so.

And I think old campaigns are as dark as Dark Carnival is. Just a minor differencies but I you really look them, they're not so dark.

Gamingliker
02-27-2011, 02:56 AM
Uhm, me? People who play Realism Expert?

How about shooting ragdoll until we find defibs? Nope.

I think Valve cannot really ruin atmospheres that old campaigns have. They aren't probably converting them to daylight so.

And I think old campaigns are as dark as Dark Carnival is. Just a minor differencies but I you really look them, they're not so dark.

Actually,they should make the survivors have more death animations if they plan on removing ragdolls >.>
Yeah, except Dac has lights scattered in the finale.
Hard rain has a somewhat creepy atmosphere in part 3 onwards(heavy rain)

mAd-
02-27-2011, 03:04 AM
Yeah, finale. But imo blood harvest, death toll and dead air finales are little bright.

Gurluas
02-27-2011, 05:38 AM
Daylight can be creepy, but not like that.
Valve made it sunny, beautiful, with a blue sky...It needs to be clouded, gray, and depressed.

raptor67
02-27-2011, 08:30 AM
L4D = Left 4 Scary
L4D2 = Left 4 Gimmicks
(not that I intend in ANY way that either is bad or in any way, NOT super-mega-awesome, but seriously, you can't deny L4D2 is a little gimmicky).

zerodin_comics
02-27-2011, 09:26 AM
I thought the rainy levels had loads of creepy atmosphere.

Jarinex
02-27-2011, 10:56 AM
I'll be honest, I think L4D's atmosphere was just a bit more creepy than L4D2's (although I think Hard Rains storm is pretty freaky). That being said, the daylight is still kind of eerie because it's so quiet.

Also although rag dolls are cool and I kind of miss them, that does create problems for people who want to get defibbed, such as people who were knocked far away or over a fence that leads into a different area (like in Dark Carnival). Maybe they could limit the distance for rag dolls to go, or make more death animations so we aren't limited to just one. :cool:

No_wander_off
02-27-2011, 10:57 AM
I was pretty sure the l4d2 music got remastered, maybe I'm just tired so I imagined things, duh

While the bacteria and maybe special infected sounds were not remastered, horde music and saferoom music is seriously... Not scary or creepy, it feels happy.

the horde music and the safe room music are the same too :rolleyes:

>AWESOMENAME<
02-27-2011, 11:35 AM
Just darken the fog like they did in the Nightmare (i believe it was...) mutation. I would be happy just to have that!

Rag dolls would be awesome too, but Valve isn't helping any on this. nothing new except a bunch of new awesome (:D) campaigns

BloodRaven3
02-27-2011, 01:11 PM
Ok then i'll give another example take l4d2 main menu where the background keeps changing. Here we get southern music and carnival music which sounds silly and less scary.

Here listen for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkZtNy88Q2E

Now listen to l4d music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPwPll4pjWw

Its much better and creates a much more intense atmosphere!

BloodRaven3
02-27-2011, 01:30 PM
I never heard DC's theme playing when I get puked in No Mercy.

Sorry not dark carnival theme more of a jazz theme with fast playing trumpets and other jazz stuff.

No_wander_off
02-27-2011, 01:52 PM
Ok then i'll give another example take l4d2 main menu where the background keeps changing. Here we get southern music and carnival music which sounds silly and less scary.

Now listen to l4d music.

Its much better and scarier!

they are equally deep and sad for me, neither are scary.

Sorry not dark carnival theme more of a jazz theme with fast playing trumpets and other jazz stuff.

/facepalm
it's the same music as the L4D1 horde music.

this is starting to get stupid, i'm out.

MyClam--
02-27-2011, 02:25 PM

/facepalm

well to be honest i think the trumpets in the parish music lineup are ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ too. i even took them out at one point. the other instruments for the different campaigns are okay though.

BloodRaven3
02-27-2011, 02:56 PM

/facepalm

Yh scary wasn't the right word I think l4d main menu music created a deeper and darker atmosphere than the l4d2 ones but hey thats just me.
Also I must disagree with you that the horde music is the same...

L4D Horde music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_L5fAMBGHI&feature=related

l4d2 Horde music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRafbX8z9Zw&feature=related

I know the drums are the same but there are differences, sorry for being picky :p

Btw there are many different versions of horde music for l4d2 but the one on the link was the one I was trying to explain earlier.

HeroOfDarkness
02-27-2011, 03:06 PM

Now listen to l4d music.

Its much better and scarier!

L4D's is eerie, while L4D2's is creepy in the context of the game due to the fact that it's trying to be "silly." I mean, think about if you were in the middle of a zombie apocalypse and you heard music like that playing.

However, neither comes even close to being scary.

BloodRaven3
02-27-2011, 03:09 PM
L4D's is eerie, while L4D2's is creepy in the context of the game due to the fact that it's trying to be "silly." I mean, think about if you were in the middle of a zombie apocalypse and you heard music like that playing.

However, neither comes even close to being scary.

Yh my fault not scary I meant to say atmoshpere, its changed now =P.

No_wander_off
02-27-2011, 03:41 PM
Yh scary wasn't the right word I think l4d main menu music created a deeper and darker atmosphere than the l4d2 ones but hey thats just me.
Also I must disagree with you that the horde music is the same...

L4D Horde music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_L5fAMBGHI&feature=related

l4d2 Horde music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRafbX8z9Zw&feature=related

I know the drums are the same but there are differences, sorry for being picky :p

Btw there are many different versions of horde music for l4d2 but the one on the link was the one I was trying to explain earlier.

i'm talking about no mercy and the sacrifice. they have the same music as the L4D1 counterparts.

and the music have variations with each campaign. i specially prefer the swamp fever horde music.

and let's not lose focus here, all of this is subjective. not all of the campaigns can be "creepy" all the time, it's a game, not a stephen king's book.

HeroOfDarkness
02-27-2011, 03:42 PM
Yh my fault not scary I meant to say atmoshpere, its changed now =P.

I still see it the same way.

Gurluas
02-27-2011, 04:29 PM
L4d1 musics also had variations with each campaign.

No_wander_off
02-27-2011, 05:02 PM
L4d1 musics also had variations with each campaign.

not really. only the music at the start of each campaign.

the rest were all the same.

Some_weirdGuy
02-27-2011, 09:51 PM
YOU SIR ARE WRONG!!

Maybe for you.
I have never found bright areas scary, (and i'll put it in caps this time) EVER, never ever. Probably cause you can see exactly whats coming from where, you can clearly make out everything, and when you can examine something at your leisure (which the brightness so willingly accommodates) your fear of it is lessened or removed entirely.
And the instinctual 'boogieman lives in the darkness' mentality isn't put into play when everything is warmly lit and (by extension) inviting.

Those body piles aren't scary. Abandoned cars definitely aren't scary.
You can appreciate touches made by the developers, but it definitely doesn't make them scary. and I completely disagree about light making it have more 'story' and dread.

What you're describing is a sense of desolation/isolation, which is very different to it being 'scary'.

TheCombatMedic
02-28-2011, 05:55 AM
So you like things popping out at you

No_wander_off
02-28-2011, 07:24 AM
if done right, daylight settings CAN be creepy or scary.

BloodRaven3
02-28-2011, 08:57 AM
if done right, daylight settings CAN be creepy or scary.

Creepy most definitely, but off the top of my head I cant think of any games in day light that produce a real scare factor.

The Tinker
02-28-2011, 09:55 AM
Battle brother, this can't be done.

This SHIP is being made by the fiendish creator of 2EE.

THERE IS NO SOAP

bloodfox1222
03-01-2011, 03:19 PM
darkness = creepy.

So you don't find the fact that you see piles of dead cows killed by people who were in fear of being infected creepy? Or the fact that the military shot human beings in order to keep themselves safe? Imagine that day. People panicked. Screams filed the air as everyone ran. Or the fact that people tried to drive to the carnival as it was a safe heaven and got killed in their cars?

No_wander_off
03-01-2011, 03:33 PM
So you don't find the fact that you see piles of dead cows killed by people who were in fear of being infected creepy? Or the fact that the military shot human beings in order to keep themselves safe? Imagine that day. People panicked. Screams filed the air as everyone ran. Or the fact that people tried to drive to the carnival as it was a safe heaven and got killed in their cars?

the ducatel town makes me feel sad, noone cared about them, noone tried to rescue them, just some people hanging stupid "this area is not safe, derp" . they were left to die, every man for himself. all the families in their homes were killed one by one.

i can think of more. like how outcasted the carriers must have felt, or Virgil losing his wife...