PDA

View Full Version : Internet issues

Mr Wobblytickle
02-27-2011, 04:26 AM
Hey everyone

When i play L4D, L4D2, GTA IV etc online i get a terrible connection. On L4D2 whenever i start a game online my ping starts off at 400ms and only goes up from there. I can't even get a decent connection to my friend who lives about a mile or two away. I'm on a wireless network and my brother plays L4D2 online with a decent ping of about 40 - 60 ms and rarely suffers lag. His computer is closer to the wireless router. I've ordered an Ethernet cable as i've lost all faith in wireless internet. Do you guys think that a wired connection would help/solve my high ping? My internet provider isn't the best in the world but it can't be that bad if my brother can get a decent connection with his wireless. My computer surpasses the specs of the game so its not a hardware issue. Thanks in advance :)

Jagged Tooth
02-27-2011, 04:42 AM
You can see your ping to your router, which can tell you how much of your ping is based on you wireless connection. To see it do the following

1. Go to run (Windows Key + R) type "cmd", enter
2. Type ipconfig, enter
3. Look for the entry that says Wireless adapter of similar
4. Note down the default gateway (probably 192.168.0.1 or 10.1.1.1)
5. Then type ping X (where X is the default gateway)

That should tell how much your ping is from your wireless connection. I think 50-70 is around average, but it's been a while since I've used wireless on my computer.

seedleon
02-27-2011, 04:55 AM
If your brother is on the same wireless network as you, it tends to suggest it's not your router that is the problem.
There must be something different on your end if your brother can game without lag.
You mentioned your brother is close to the wireless router.
What signal do you get from the wireless router? Do you have a wireless N adapter on your machine/laptop ?

Mr Wobblytickle
02-27-2011, 05:18 AM
@Jagged Tooth
Thank you ever so much for the quick reply. I did the windows key + R and typed in ipconfig but the box that appeared flashed up for a split second and closed so i went into command prompt and typed out ipconfig /all and then i got the appropriate box. My gateway is 192.168.1.1 so i typed out ping and the gateway and i got a minimum of 2ms, maximum of 5ms and an average of 3ms. Could it be something in the advanced settings of my firewall? Possibly something to do with the outbound and inbound rules?

@Seedleon

Again thank you for a quick response. My signal tends to vary greatly. Sometimes it is good sometimes is not so good. Before i updated the drivers it was worse and showing a youtube video to a friend turned into a sleep over. I have a Edimax 802.11n wireless PCI card. This ethernet cable will be here soon so surely that would surpass these problems?

caveman26
02-27-2011, 06:09 AM
To see if it is a program click start type msconfig (xp click run then msconfig) startup then disable all this will turn everything off reboot test one game if it works msconfig again and turn on your firewall and AntiVirus and reboot and test if its still ok turn on a few more and test til you find out if it is a program

Just to make it clear you will have no firewall or AntiVirus when doing this but should be fine for a quick.test of a game

Mr Wobblytickle
02-27-2011, 07:07 AM
@Caveman26

Thank you for the suggestion, i gave it a go and disabled my anti virus but when i joined a game my ping instantly hit over 900ms :/ I checked on the firewall aswell and L4D2 is allowed through. I think this ethernet cable is the only option to solving this.

Mr Wobblytickle
02-27-2011, 07:28 AM
I had a look around in the inbound and outbound rules and nothing seems to help. Any game i join my ping just sky rockets. There must be something on this computer hidden away somewhere that needs ticking or unticking to make the ping better but god knows im not going to find it. I'm more than happy to welcome anymore suggestions but hopefully this Ethernet cable will save the day :) Thanks to everyone who contributed ideas and help. Much appreciated.

Mr Wobblytickle
02-28-2011, 10:02 AM
Cable arrived. Ping is much better :D Anyone else having internet issues with wireless then switch to wired internet.

crunchyfrog555
02-28-2011, 10:15 AM
Sorry I came in late on this one. Easy to say in retrospect but I was going to suggest trying a number of things to try and stop interference of your wireless signal.

That was my first thought with your brother having no problems, but you otherwise. It's fair to say whenever you can don't use wireless, particularly not for gaming. If it's unavoidable, then do so, of course.

There are a ton of things in the household that can ruin the wireless signal, particularly if close to the router or wireless adapter: Mains cabling, fridges, microwaves, any large electrical item generally.

Might sound a little obvious, but from experience with other people, I've found this is overlooked a lot.

Glad your problem's sorted now though :)

Mr Wobblytickle
03-01-2011, 04:36 AM
No worries at all :) I'm just glad this cable has saved the day haha my connection is much stronger and i was able to play several games of L4D2 with my brother and my friend :)

I agree it is over looked alot. I use to turn off my mobile phone when i was near my computer just incase it caused any issues.

Still all sorted now :) Thanks again