PDA

View Full Version : Error: Preparing to lauch, then nothing

Hoarse
03-01-2011, 06:12 AM
For the STEAM version of Fate of the World, after clicking on the "Play" button in the Library It will display the Preparing to launch Fate of the World notifier then the activity mouse indicator then nothing happens.

1) System meets the requirements
2) Game files integrity validated
3) ?

Suggestion on fixing it?

Sarcazmo
03-02-2011, 01:32 AM
same problem here, am well within minimum requirements. Have tried the usual steam "solutions" but no luck. There's not even a executable in the task manager, the game launch simply aborts.

vonklaude
03-02-2011, 01:59 AM
I'm sorry you're getting these problems. Are you running the game in Windows XP?

Sarcazmo
03-02-2011, 03:02 AM
I can't answer for the OP but I am running it under windows 7.
My computer is roughly 5 months old and my drivers were all up to date last time I checked a few days ago. Since the application doesn't crash per se I can't provide much more info than this :(

Hoarse
03-02-2011, 04:41 AM
I can't answer for the OP but I am running it under windows 7.
My computer is roughly 5 months old and my drivers were all up to date last time I checked a few days ago. Since the application doesn't crash per se I can't provide much more info than this :(
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit here

bravomjra
03-02-2011, 04:07 PM
Same problem here. Windows 7 64 Home. Patched to service pack 1, meets the minimum requirements.

Torlek
03-02-2011, 10:19 PM
The fotw.exe is seen briefly in the process list than nothing.

My direct X info is here. http://justpaste.it/90p

unlustig
03-03-2011, 12:54 AM
i do have the exact same problem!

running windows 7 home premium 64bit. drivers&directx are all up to date. my computer is a little bit on the slower side but then again the problem is not about the game running slow but about the game not starting at all because some file appears to be broken!

please help us out here!

Heliocon
03-03-2011, 04:25 AM
Hello, just signed up to post here - I have the same problem. When I try to launch the game if says its starting up in the little steam window then nothing... Game wont start at all. I have tried re-downloading the game about 4 times, including checking its cache/files. I have run it as an administrator, have tried running it directly from the .exe in the game files (under bin I think) and no luck at all. Just refuses to start. When I try to start it - it appears in the processes window for a few seconds before dissapearing.

Windows 7 64bit, Professional - service pack 1
Drivers are all up to date.

Please fix this, I really want to play!

Thanks.

Daktak
03-03-2011, 12:13 PM
Same happen to me, i'm not able to play. it just wouldn0t launch the game. Windows 7 and well with all requirements

rosewell
03-03-2011, 03:52 PM
i got the same problem....when trying to run this game, the only thing that happens is that my cursor show some activity and then stop working on running &loading this game....

and i meet the recommended requirements

Iselwin
03-04-2011, 01:51 AM
Guys, I think it would be useful for devs if you posted more about your hardware: it seems that the problem only happens in Win7, and perhaps there is some hardware pattern to it as well...

rosewell
03-04-2011, 02:23 AM
win7 64 ultimate sp1. got a quad cpu, ati 4880 gpu and so on....have updated to latest catalyst driver.

For me it seems like its win7 64bit owners that have this problem with this game.

Can all those who have problems with this game confirm if they are running win 64bit and/or sp1

Hupailija
03-04-2011, 02:26 AM
I have 64 bit windows 7 and don't have any problems at all. Actually opposite of that, I can temper how much I want game files and it still seems to work ;)

Iselwin
03-04-2011, 02:30 AM
I have 64 bit windows 7 and don't have any problems at all. Actually opposite of that, I can temper how much I want game files and it still seems to work ;)

ATI\Nvidia? How many cores?

Arthoras
03-04-2011, 02:55 AM
My game crashes after I click the Playbutton in Steamlibery. There are no other windows espect the send report window.

My System:
Windows XP Service Pack 3
AMD Athlon II X4 630
2 GB Ram
Geforce 210

Any ideas to solve the problem?

Iselwin
03-04-2011, 05:14 AM
Hm, another quad-core. That's becoming suspicious quickly.

Can anyone else having the problem tell how many cores they have?

Torlek
03-04-2011, 05:43 AM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 same problem.

vonklaude
03-04-2011, 05:51 AM
Quad cores? Time to check our compat cases list.

Edited to add. We think it probably is not quad core specific, but we're checking.

Iselwin
03-04-2011, 08:00 AM
It seems that all reported cases are not just quad-cores, but, specifically, AMD quad-cores on Windows 7 64 bit.

Daktak
03-04-2011, 08:16 AM
Windows 7 32 bits SP 1 Nvida 275GTX upgraded to latest drivers and not launching

Iselwin
03-04-2011, 08:24 AM
What about CPU?

Daktak
03-04-2011, 08:35 AM
I5 760 2,8Ghz 4GB RAM

thrudda
03-04-2011, 09:18 AM
I have a similar problem with the game not loading. But that's because I have an old, non-SSE2 processor. I wish it would mention that in the system requirements.

LOL I like to do a lot of old-style gaming on my office pc.

Sarcazmo
03-04-2011, 09:24 AM
It seems that all reported cases are not just quad-cores, but, specifically, AMD quad-cores on Windows 7 64 bit.

nope, mine's got Intel, i7 860 2.80 GHz ...whatever that means

Iselwin
03-04-2011, 09:50 AM
nope, mine's got Intel, i7 860 2.80 GHz ...whatever that means

Both it and I5 760 are quad-cores, so I think that's some definite proof here. And being AMD or Intel seems irrelevant.

Interesting that I have a Phenom X3 which runs fine, so only 4 cores are problematic. Maybe it's due to me running XP, but there was a report for Athlon X4 with XP, so that's probably not the case.

Hoarse
03-04-2011, 11:29 AM
I have an AMD Phenom II X4 965 (ie. a quad)

rosewell
03-04-2011, 06:31 PM
i bought this game at gamersgate.com

works fine...for me its seems theres something wrong with the steam version....steam "fate of the world" cant play on amd quad?

i want a refund.....:-(

Heliocon
03-04-2011, 07:56 PM
Windows 7 64bit-sp1
Intel i7 980X (hexa core)
Nvidia 480GT
12gb ddr3 ram 1600mhz

fatrobin
03-05-2011, 10:53 AM
Windows 7 32bit
Intel Core2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 210
4GB RAM(i know it is not all usable)
version: STEAM
i get this bug and i don't have a quad core :(

llamano
03-05-2011, 11:00 AM
I run xp, with all the recommended requirement (except for xp, which is a minimum requirement) and I get the same problem. I haven't been able to launch the game, it just shows desktop after the steam 'preparing to launch' screen disappears.

I tried adding ----config to the command line but received no love (one of the support forums somewhere mentioned creating a shortcut with that command after it as a solution).

Even worse is that no error dialogue or error log is produced, and the folder where the error log is supposed to reside doesn't even exist. So.

Super frustrating. I would really like to try the game.

XP
2.33 dual core
512mb Nvidia GeForce
2gb RAM
Up to date directx and drivers.

Iselwin
03-05-2011, 12:32 PM
Just for curiosity sake: try running the game in a "Windows 98 compatibility mode" which forces single-core mode; worth checking if it helps.

fatrobin
03-05-2011, 03:58 PM
compatability mode (which is a little pain for steam games(finding the actual exe) did not work here no matter what options i ticked...

Tulwath
03-06-2011, 09:54 AM
Same problem and compatibility mode did not work.

Win7 Home Premium 64-bit
Quad Q9000 intel core 2 2.0Ghz
NVIDA GEFORCE GT 240M
4GB RAM

B-Main
03-06-2011, 10:23 AM
I am having the same problem, but with ALL of my Steam games. Steam will not start anything after the "Preparing to Launch" screen. The game will appear very briefly in the task-manager, then get killed. The process is not remaining.

Here is what I have done to try and solve the problem:
-Uninstalled anti-virus software
-completely uninstalled and deleted, then re-installed steam and all games
-did a long and cumbersome clean-up of system files and programs
-ran as administrator/compatibility mode
-turned off windows firewall entirely
-defraged my harddrive
-updated all driver software on the machine
-tried to start steam games via the executables in the common folder
-tried opting into the Steam beta
-tried other internet providers, as well as wireless networks/hard-line
-played with various other settings, such as sound, graphics, etc.

NONE of this has worked. I am running on an i7 box with GTX 285, 6 gigs of RAM and Vista HP 64-bit.

It is important to note that all other non-steam games on my machine (namely those on Impulse) and Starcraft II work fine, play, don't crash, etc. It is ONLY steam games.

I have not played Steam in about a month, but before I quit for that month, everything worked fine and I gamed all of the time. Over the course of the last month, I have started up and ran updates on steam and my games regularly.

I am confident that this is a Steam platform specific error, but I am unsure if it is a software or hardware compatibility issue with something on my PC. Hopefully we can find what's causing this because my vast game library is crippled at the moment.

If it matters, I got back onto Steam the day before yesterday and immediately installed the Crysis 2 Demo. I was unable to play that, then realized that none of my games were launching.

Heliocon
03-06-2011, 02:29 PM
I am having the same problem, but with ALL of my Steam games. Steam will not start anything after the "Preparing to Launch" screen. The game will appear very briefly in the task-manager, then get killed. The process is not remaining.

Here is what I have done to try and solve the problem:
-Uninstalled anti-virus software
-completely uninstalled and deleted, then re-installed steam and all games
-did a long and cumbersome clean-up of system files and programs
-ran as administrator/compatibility mode
-turned off windows firewall entirely
-defraged my harddrive
-updated all driver software on the machine
-tried to start steam games via the executables in the common folder
-tried opting into the Steam beta
-tried other internet providers, as well as wireless networks/hard-line
-played with various other settings, such as sound, graphics, etc.

NONE of this has worked. I am running on an i7 box with GTX 285, 6 gigs of RAM and Vista HP 64-bit.

It is important to note that all other non-steam games on my machine (namely those on Impulse) and Starcraft II work fine, play, don't crash, etc. It is ONLY steam games.

I have not played Steam in about a month, but before I quit for that month, everything worked fine and I gamed all of the time. Over the course of the last month, I have started up and ran updates on steam and my games regularly.

I am confident that this is a Steam platform specific error, but I am unsure if it is a software or hardware compatibility issue with something on my PC. Hopefully we can find what's causing this because my vast game library is crippled at the moment.

If it matters, I got back onto Steam the day before yesterday and immediately installed the Crysis 2 Demo. I was unable to play that, then realized that none of my games were launching.

THats not a game specific (fate of the world) error so dont post it here. You are just creating excess uneeded noise and it wont help you, there are other forums/pages for that.

As for the problem - is there a steam fix in the works?

Arthoras
03-06-2011, 04:29 PM
I try it with a virtualmashine (VMplayer) and try a bit around:

-only one core
-dual core
-back to quad core
-diffrent RAM options

I also try the advice from the support and kill all proccesses that are not required.

Nothing. The game dont work...

I am really frustrated about that. I have paid the game days ago and cant play it. Really great... can I get my money back? :(

(sorry my english is not very fluent. I hope its understandable...)

Sarcazmo
03-08-2011, 04:57 AM
Quad cores? Time to check our compat cases list.

Edited to add. We think it probably is not quad core specific, but we're checking.

no official word in 4 days. Hopefully it means they are trying to figure it out. A little something to reassure us we're not forgotten would be nice though :)

Daktak
03-08-2011, 07:28 AM
Aye, I check this post daily and I expected something else...

zsurge
03-09-2011, 08:49 PM
its seems but be a problem i also gotten this game today and notting happens when trying to load it up .

system:
Amd Phenom 9750 X4 (quad core)
Ati HD 4890
Windows 7 home 64bit
4gig ram

vonklaude
03-10-2011, 10:15 AM
You are not forgotten. One issue we have definitely identified (100% recreate on some configurations) is with zonealarm. It's possible other programs resident in memory are involved.

Please help us pin this down for you by sending a list of programs in memory to support@red-redemption.com if you have not already done so.

See also this thread http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1658971&page=2 which first noticed zonealarm.

Heliocon
03-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Vonk - thank you for the update, alot of people really want to play and a little post settles alot of grumbles so please keep up the info so we can help :D

bent_oben
03-10-2011, 03:40 PM
I installed Zone Alarm and it worked. I made no other changes on my PC. Just uninstalled and restarted.

Hoarse
03-10-2011, 06:28 PM
vonklaude, thank you for responding. In regards to Zone Alarm, I shut down ZA, tried to start Fate of the World which produced the same error as described in my first post. Next I uninstalled FotW while ZA was shutdown and reinstalled FotW, ZA remained shutdown. This produced an identical error to my first post.

MaxTwitch
03-11-2011, 02:28 AM
@Hoarse: little misunderstanding i guess :) u have to uninstall zonealarm to run the game, shuting it down won´t do, because zonealarm runs software u cannot shutdown via taskmanager ( if u install zonealarm u must reboot! also when u uninstall ZA , u must reboot ) which is for my suspicious mind an indicator that ZA runs some of its routines unaccessable via taskmanager, and one or more?! of these routines prevent Fotw.exe from running normal.

zsurge
03-12-2011, 06:47 AM
i can confirm that zonealarm is ♥♥♥♥ing around whit fate of the world not launching you will have to unstall zone alarm and reboot i have done so my self and disabling zone alarm wont work you will have to remove it i switched from zone alarm to comodo

Sarcazmo
03-12-2011, 11:39 PM
You are not forgotten. One issue we have definitely identified (100% recreate on some configurations) is with zonealarm. It's possible other programs resident in memory are involved.

Please help us pin this down for you by sending a list of programs in memory to support@red-redemption.com if you have not already done so.

See also this thread http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1658971&page=2 which first noticed zonealarm.

oh just great, I switched to Zone alarm because my previous antivirus blocked some other applications. I don't feel too enthusiastic about switching again when I have paid for a full years' service.

Is there some sort of dialogue between Red redemtion and ZoneAlarm regarding this "100% recreate" issue? Only asking because with my previous antivirus (Panda) I ended up contacting them myself regarding how their software blocked my game. It took forever for me as a individual to get any response whatsoever.

/Sarc