PDA

View Full Version : Farcry2: Enemy A.I: stupid or advanced?

MrSage86
03-01-2011, 10:29 AM
Ive noticed a major complaint about this game is how stupid people say the NPCs are, but I havnt noticed anything of the sort from them. I'm more of a stealth player in this game, with my primary loadout being the silenced MP5, the Dart Rifle, and the Silenced Makarov. When I snipe one of them from afar, his buddies dont just stand where they are and shoot at me like they would in most games, they run for cover because they dont know where I am. When I think ive taken them all out and head towards their camp/ checkpoint/ outpost, dozens will come out of the woodwork, leaving me surrounded.

When I'm getting up close and maintaining stealth, I can hear them talking to eachother in panic. If one of them says "You go that way, I'll go this way" One of them will ACTUALLY go that way and the other will ACTUALLY go this way.

My favorite is how if I'm using an unsilenced sniper rifle, the manner in which they send out search parties after me. They will spread out from the camp, and if one of them spots me, they will converge on my position.

The AI in this game is one of the most intelligent that I have encountered in all the time I have been playing FPS games, the only reason anybody would say that they are stupid is because how skilled they are can sometimes be frustrating. The AI is one of the reasons I love this game and will continue to play the storyline.

That, and the community maps.

B33 ENN
03-01-2011, 02:57 PM
I've never had any major, game breaking, complaints of them in over 500 hundred hours of game time. In fact, on the contrary, I have found them fun, engaging and hilarious to fight. For a 3 year old game, it stands up well against newer A.I. models I've seen. There are some obvious limitations though:

Mostly, if you keep your distance, they won't know where you are, as you'd expect. However, no game A.I. is perfect, and at times, this does fail and they do seem to pinpoint you without any realistic basis, particularly in darkness or undergrowth.

Also, I don't bother with a stealth loadout as generally the game programming doesn't take account of it consistently. For example, if I sneak up and machete a guy out of sight and sound of his comrades, in most cases they are all alerted to his demise and consequently your presence, even if they don't always know where you are. Using the silenced firearms yields much the same result.

However, sneaking without killing can work well. I've been able to sneak into and entire village, sometimes to within a couple a feet behind a mercs back rescue a buddy or execute a kill without having alerted anyone. :)

MrSage86
03-01-2011, 07:16 PM
stuff

Really? Ive had no problems with stealth. If my aim is swift, i can take out two or three NPCs that are close together with the silenced MP5. It will send their buddies into a panic, but the rarely know my location.

B33 ENN
03-01-2011, 10:48 PM
Really? Ive had no problems with stealth. If my aim is swift, i can take out two or three NPCs that are close together with the silenced MP5. It will send their buddies into a panic, but the rarely know my location.

Well, that's basically what I said, except that they often get alerted without having seen or heard their buddy get killed. I used the silenced Mak and MP5 when i first started, but they still alert mercs out of audio/visual range, so I gave up.

The exception is the Dart Rifle, which won't alert them until they happen upon his dead body IIRC. However, I gave up using the Dart because it's unbalanced compared to the rest, since it has a unrealistic range, and is a one shot kill to any part of the body, which makes the game far too easy and no longer a challenge.

anelaidlives
03-01-2011, 11:26 PM
The only problem with the AI, that I've had, is that friendly AI is somewhat limited, especially with the "three revives and thats it" system for buddies, and that they will hunt you down and run you over with their car no matter what it takes for them to do that.

I've also noticed that they can drive faster than you which is an annoyance if you don't want to fight them.

B33 ENN
03-02-2011, 02:43 AM
The only problem with the AI, that I've had, is that friendly AI is somewhat limited, especially with the "three revives and thats it" system for buddies, and that they will hunt you down and run you over with their car no matter what it takes for them to do that.

I've also noticed that they can drive faster than you which is an annoyance if you don't want to fight them.

I'm not ssure I get your comment here. The only "friendly" A.I. is your buddies, and they are not limited to three revives. It is unlimited, as long as they don't die and you "re-charge" them at Safe Houses prior to an engagement after you were previously rescued.

The buddies don't hunt you down either. That's the enemy NPC's, all of whom are unfriendly, even the one's on the side of the faction you take on a mission for.

Them overtaking you in the vehicle chases is just a game mechanic to prevent you running away. However, I have been able to "out run" them often by simply out driving them (going off road) or luring them into a trap (such as driving them over a cliff edge or into a rock face :D ).

MrSage86
03-02-2011, 06:27 AM

Well, the fact that they try to run you over is a smart move on the AI's part. Insta-kill = good.

Also, its not too hard to stop your car and just slash the crap outta the guys chasing you as they get out of their car.

Kibblesman
03-02-2011, 07:06 PM
FC2 AI: Stupidly Advanced?

The AI had its ups and downs in FC2.

FreemanForPrez
03-05-2011, 09:00 PM
I think they're hilarious. I've had more fun fighting enemies in FC 2 than any other game's AI ever, I think.

arizonachris
03-06-2011, 02:01 AM
FC2 AI: Stupidly Advanced?

The AI had its ups and downs in FC2.

ROFL, I was thinking to say the same when I read the original post. :D

iburnaga
03-07-2011, 08:54 AM
However, sneaking without killing can work well. I've been able to sneak into and entire village, sometimes to within a couple a feet behind a mercs back rescue a buddy or execute a kill without having alerted anyone. :)

That sounds incredibly awesome. So you've turned the game into Hitman 3: African Incursion

PurSpyk!!
03-07-2011, 10:18 AM
I have had instances where the enemy would be running away from me, but still managed to shoot me although he was facing away from me. Or they run around as if they are high on something. The only thing good about this game are the graphics.

MrSage86
03-07-2011, 10:29 AM
I have had instances where the enemy would be running away from me, but still managed to shoot me although he was facing away from me. Or they run around as if they are high on something. The only thing good about this game are the graphics.

Then why are you here on the forums for a game you obviously hate?

Gtfo out of here.

PurSpyk!!
03-07-2011, 12:16 PM
Who said I hated the game, you asked about the AI, I gave you my findings?

Virre87
03-07-2011, 05:33 PM
Can't realy say if they are good or bad, but i can for sure say they are realy fun to watch when idleing:D

was sneaking up on two guys standing ther talking about something, when im like 5 meters behind them one of them turn to me and look on me with the most dumb face i have ever seen, only to turn back to hes friend and keep talking.

No idea what that guard was on, but i sure as hell want some.

(full daylight, open terain)

Mister Meatball
03-07-2011, 08:37 PM
Oh btw the 3 revives are not for you, if you let your buddy get "downed" 3 times when you help them after a mission, on the fourth time he will die after you give him 3 morphine (i guess that is what the stuff is, gimme some!) shots. This sucks and I recommend saving right after completing a mission right before you help him out. BTW you have better chances of helping him if you get there quickly!

tHe wOrM!
03-11-2011, 03:11 AM
I think everyone else pretty much summed it up. As awesome as this game is, the bots could use a little IQ boost in my opinion. Although, sometimes what REALLY makes me enjoy the game, is to just screw with them, and see which enemy does the ultimate dumbest thing out of them all (I have a lot of free time on my hands from 2am-6am :] )
This is a bit of a side, but I have to say... From what Ive heard in theories regarding the intellect of computers and how its quickly surpassing that of a humans, hasn't even come CLOSE to proving itself yet. I understand, they may process calculations to the nth faster than us, but god, without a programmer, they are worthless.
Someday, I hope that bots/AI will be so intelligent, they'll all act differently, run differently, and be programmed for spontaneity, and "free-will".. When that happens, computer gaming will then peek at whole new horizon.

PEACE ;)

FreemanForPrez
03-11-2011, 01:23 PM
I think everyone else pretty much summed it up. As awesome as this game is, the bots could use a little IQ boost in my opinion. Although, sometimes what REALLY makes me enjoy the game, is to just screw with them, and see which enemy does the ultimate dumbest thing out of them all (I have a lot of free time on my hands from 2am-6am :] )

I love it when they panic and jump in a jeep and try so hard to catch you that they run into a gas tank and blow it up and get killed.
Or drive off a cliff or into a tree or a river and drown.
There are lots of opportunities to make them chase you and crash, and that's pretty funny to watch. :D

B33 ENN
03-11-2011, 03:18 PM
Oh btw the 3 revives are not for you, if you let your buddy get "downed" 3 times when you help them after a mission, on the fourth time he will die after you give him 3 morphine ...you have better chances of helping him if you get there quickly!

I usually arrive on scene, grab a nice vantage spot and eat a sandwich and sip some coffee watching the action as they take their chances with the mercs. (It's only fair as they seem to get me in one mess after another without a pay day, like I'm some charity.) Then, if they have survived, I send a neat one over to the back of their head. :D very entertaining :p

Wolfe202
05-16-2011, 06:52 PM
I enjoy the AI in the game most of the time. But as was said nothing is perfect and I have run into some situations where I will be spotted when I shouldn't have. Or dart someone out of sight of his buddies and alerted everyone. Or snuck up for the stealth machete kill and hit him square on and only wounded him and pissed off everyone else.

But one thing I would like to know is, once the AI has been alerted (search mode) and has NOT seen you at all (no shots fired by either side) [I molotoved a camp to sneak in to get the diamond], will the AI ever leave alert status (search mode) if they never find you but you are still in the area?

arizonachris
05-16-2011, 10:38 PM
But one thing I would like to know is, once the AI has been alerted (search mode) and has NOT seen you at all (no shots fired by either side) [I molotoved a camp to sneak in to get the diamond], will the AI ever leave alert status (search mode) if they never find you but you are still in the area?

I don't know the exact distance, but you have to get away from them, kinda like getting out of town after you killed someone. Even then, a rouge Pinto can find you!

Then there is always the issue of the guard post respawning. Seems like the alert radius is about the same as the respawn radius. Either way, you're screwed. :o

Wolfe202
05-17-2011, 01:57 PM
Yeah, I just recently tried it with Cattle Xing. Snuck into the actual sub-map zone started a fire, stole the diamond and ran back up the hill directly westward of the diamond. Hid in a bush as far up the hill in a direct line from the diamond as I could go and sat and waited.

Several of them passed by at perhaps 10 feet or so searching, but never found me. Eventually they started talking about beer and women (not joking) and sauntered back to the camp. They all seemed to be idle, but they all now had their weapons in their hands, but just walking around.