PDA

View Full Version : Why is the "intro movie" so taxing?

Arzamon
03-01-2011, 09:30 AM
So when I started the "Rise of africa" scenario the first time I was shown the intro movie (or whatever it would be called) and noticed that my computer found that EXTREMELY taxing. My computer pretty much sounds like a steam engine when something pushes it to the maximum, which pretty much no game has ever done.
Can play Dragon Age and Call of Duty: Black ops etc which maxing out every setting and my computer doesn't care.

But that intro movie makes it go bananas for some reason. After the movie has finished the computer quiets down just fine. So why does a couple of still images push my computer harder than any of my other games? Probably something you might want to take a look into. Would probably lock up any computer that has heat issues :p

Archonsod
03-01-2011, 09:37 AM
Works fine for me. It could be a codec issue, try getting installedcodec -

http://download.cnet.com/InstalledCodec/3000-2094_4-10789544.html

And disable all non-Microsoft codecs to see if it makes a difference.

Arzamon
03-01-2011, 09:45 AM
Well yeah it WORKS. It just demands way too much out of the computer for no apparent reason.

Iselwin
03-01-2011, 10:07 AM
Well yeah it WORKS. It just demands way too much out of the computer for no apparent reason.

Try forcing VSync on your videocard and see what happens. Might be related.

Arzamon
03-01-2011, 10:18 AM
Try forcing VSync on your videocard and see what happens. Might be related.

Yeah that definitely solved it. The problem is that they aren't capping the fps at all. So during the intro movie I have a thousand fps basically, which puts extra strain on the system for no reason.
They should definitely cap that. A thousand fps doesn't do anyone any good.
From an environmental point of view it's wasted electricity, which is ironic.

Iselwin
03-01-2011, 10:29 AM
Yeah that definitely solved it. The problem is that they aren't capping the fps at all. So during the intro movie I have a thousand fps basically, which puts extra strain on the system for no reason.
They should definitely cap that. A thousand fps doesn't do anyone any good.
From an environmental point of view it's wasted electricity, which is ironic.

Thanks for your research! If devs not make a mention on this thread that they've taken it into the consideration, I'll send them a bug report in a few days.

jeffjones66
03-01-2011, 02:06 PM
I force vsync globally in my nvidia control panel. I like a consistent, solid 60 fps to match my monitor's refresh rate. Anything higher produces screen tearing, which I'm highly sensitive to.

Stealth107
03-01-2011, 03:31 PM
^ I do that too.

Besides, anything over 60 fps is a waste.

Only reason why you'd ever need to have Vsync off is if your graphics card sucks and you need the little bit of extra performance you get from turning it off.

Starburns
03-03-2011, 06:31 PM
I enabled Vsync for the game, the only problem is that it takes much longer to load up the game.