PDA

View Full Version : joining servers crashes computer [BETA]

swizzler121
03-03-2011, 08:50 PM
I've been trying to join one of the beta servers, I'm in Kansas on a 3up/3down dedicated fiber line and have had no problems to connecting to other source games with dedicated servers. Whenever I try to join a game I get an audio loop (normally an explosion sound played over and over and over), and if I try to press any keys the game hangs. Sometimes I can make it all the way to the greeting window, sometimes it loads, but it just depends on when it hangs. The video settings are set much lower than I normally have them in source games as well so that's not it.

c_b_fofep
03-03-2011, 09:08 PM
hmm, we are testing out a few different server solutions for the beta trying to determine what the best route is going to be.

also, you might try just creating a game and running around just to make sure the game can definitely run. that will narrow it down to connectivity issues.

swizzler121
03-04-2011, 12:12 AM
hmm, we are testing out a few different server solutions for the beta trying to determine what the best route is going to be.

also, you might try just creating a game and running around just to make sure the game can definitely run. that will narrow it down to connectivity issues.

It doesn't appear to be connectivity issues, I created a game and after ~10-15 minutes of loading it entered with the same really slow responsiveness I was getting on the servers. It took around 5 minutes to get clicked past the welcome screen and spawn. If I just sat there and didn't press anything the framerate appeared to go back to normal, but looking around and moving gave me the same extreme hangups (this is on a system that doesn't have much of a problem running Crysis). I managed to get the pause menu open and lower the settings to the lowest I could set them, and at those settings I was able to move around with hangups only happening every 5-10 seconds, with the occasional huge hangup that would last 15-30 seconds.

c_b_fofep
03-04-2011, 09:27 AM
what are the system specs? In particular the video card. It will be helpful as we try and debug this sort of thing. One of our dev computers had a similar problem - when we fully uninstalled and then reinstalled the drivers it seemed to help.

swizzler121
03-04-2011, 01:30 PM
what are the system specs? In particular the video card. It will be helpful as we try and debug this sort of thing. One of our dev computers had a similar problem - when we fully uninstalled and then reinstalled the drivers it seemed to help.

I'm at work so I can't try reinstalling the drivers, but here's the specs that I remember:

PROC: 3Ghz E8400 Wolfendale Core 2 Duo
VIDEO:MSI NVidia 8600GTS (512Mb VRAM)
RAM: 2GB GSKILL
MOBO: MSI ???

hope this helps!

jesterspawn
03-04-2011, 02:07 PM
Swizzler, my computer was the dev machine that was having crash issues. It has a GeForce 9800 GT, which is also a 512 Mb card, I believe.

I want to note that simply updating my driver over the old driver didn't fix the problem, but there is a checkbox on the NVIDA driver utility during the install to revert to original settings. I did that and my performance has been much more reliable since.

One thing to note, though, is that doing the revert unfortunately overwrites your current settings profile, so I had to go back in and set up my dual monitors and configure my resolutions and stuff again, which is a bit of a hassle, and if you're doing any kind of overclocking you'll probably want to research a way to back up your settings before running the install.

swizzler121
03-05-2011, 05:00 PM
Swizzler, my computer was the dev machine that was having crash issues. It has a GeForce 9800 GT, which is also a 512 Mb card, I believe.

I want to note that simply updating my driver over the old driver didn't fix the problem, but there is a checkbox on the NVIDA driver utility during the install to revert to original settings. I did that and my performance has been much more reliable since.

One thing to note, though, is that doing the revert unfortunately overwrites your current settings profile, so I had to go back in and set up my dual monitors and configure my resolutions and stuff again, which is a bit of a hassle, and if you're doing any kind of overclocking you'll probably want to research a way to back up your settings before running the install.

I did a clean install like you said, the first shot at starting the game ended the same way, it loaded extremely slowly (20 minutes this time) and at about 95% loaded crashed my computer. the second attempt instead of creating a new game I enabled the developer console and used the map command to start a game. it took another 20 minutes to load, but after loading the game was slow for about 5-10 seconds then played normally for as long as I was on the map, pressing pause and hovering over items felt slow, but way faster than before. I then went back to the main menu and tried using the map command to load the same map again. this time loading was faster, only about 5 minutes. Upon reaching the welcome screen the computer crashed again.

At this point I'd like to note the entire computer crashing is extremely unusual for my computer, before Dino D-Day I can't recall a time in the last 3 years I've had it that it's crashed. I play many games on my computer, and I've had cases of games crashing, but never the whole computer.

jesterspawn
03-05-2011, 05:19 PM
Swizzler, after more consideration, we're thinking it might be a memory issue. Currently, there are a lot of optimizations yet to be done in the beta version, so it is very likely that the game is maxing out your 2 gigs of RAM, which would possibly explain the super long load times you're having.

We definitely feel that someone with your hardware specs should be able to run the game, and we will be doing several optimizations to ensure that is the case. Bear with us for the time being and we'll be sure to mention in the patch notes as we reduce the memory footprint. Hopefully that will iron out the issues you're having.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Worira
03-05-2011, 05:36 PM
By the way, are you guys checking dinoddaybugs@gmail.com?

c_b_fofep
03-05-2011, 05:40 PM
yes, we are...checking and making notes on all bugs.