PDA

View Full Version : Do you think there will be another video game market crash like 1983?

General Frags
03-04-2011, 05:46 PM
Does anyone here think there will be another video game market crash like in 1983 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_video_game_crash)?

What with so many AAA games out these days the market is being saturated with games, also the dependence of multiplayer only by developers with singleplayer left out to dry and with the rise of dlc, as well as the reliance on the 16-24 demographic and on b movie type stories, has made me wonder where the video game industry will be in 10 years time.

Also history of the games industry. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_games)

Anasazi
03-04-2011, 05:51 PM
I doubt it.
Back then the video game demographic was also a lot more limited. Videogames were reserved more for the rich/upper middle classes because of the costs, and it was socially less acceptable for "regular" people to play games on a regular basis.

Costs have become a lot more manageable, there's a lot of competition in the video game market.
And while I agree that there are so many generic games out there now, the independent market for developers/designers has really opened up, and they're filling in a lot of the niche games that probably wouldn't have been made otherwise (look at Minecraft, a super simple game that sold millions of copies on an extremely low budget/borrowed ideas and engine).

I think for a while it was sort of stuck in a rut, with FPS games basically becoming the equivalent to sports games (a new annual release with barely any changes), but new companies and small designing offices/independent designers have really come out of the woodwork to change that.

Excygy
03-04-2011, 05:56 PM
there was a moment where every company were launching their consoles so it was hard to choose one and it jsut fail everything. and they said stupid things like : this console is great, but soon we will be able yo have one twice as powerful...thus people wait till the new one was out but sales were bad because of it and it never happened.

now we only have like 3 consoles and PC so it's eaiser to choose the right one and it's more affordable.

Draek
03-04-2011, 06:03 PM
Not really. If Sony, Microsoft et al had continued releasing new consoles every 3 years it would've undoubtedly happened, but they seem to have learned their lesson on time.

strawzombie
03-04-2011, 06:22 PM
I doubt it too. Information travels pretty fast nowadays, so game companies can self-correct to meet demand pretty quickly. Or if they don't adapt, when one company goes under, another company can quickly pop up in its place with little impact on the consumer.

AnubisArc999
03-04-2011, 06:59 PM
I have been talking and mentioning the issue of market saturation for awhile now, but I don't think it will be like the crash in the 80s.

What will probably happen is that when the big pubs start noticing their profits going down too much, they will slow down the pace.

Kahrandras
03-04-2011, 07:55 PM
god i hope so

end the money grubbing

lucid enigma
03-04-2011, 08:02 PM
I doubt it.
Back then the video game demographic was also a lot more limited. Videogames were reserved more for the rich/upper middle classes because of the costs, and it was socially less acceptable for "regular" people to play games on a regular basis.

Costs have become a lot more manageable, there's a lot of competition in the video game market.
And while I agree that there are so many generic games out there now, the independent market for developers/designers has really opened up, and they're filling in a lot of the niche games that probably wouldn't have been made otherwise (look at Minecraft, a super simple game that sold millions of copies on an extremely low budget/borrowed ideas and engine).

I think for a while it was sort of stuck in a rut, with FPS games basically becoming the equivalent to sports games (a new annual release with barely any changes), but new companies and small designing offices/independent designers have really come out of the woodwork to change that.

Socially less acceptable?
There were 2 of us in my class at school! :p
(We were probably 2 of about 4 in the entire school to but hey?!?)

GirlPower23
03-04-2011, 08:03 PM
A crash might be good for the industry.. but then Valve may cease to exist. So it's hard to say if I would want one. It's unlikely to happen but could bring in fresh ideas if it did happen!

Kahrandras
03-04-2011, 08:04 PM
A crash might be good for the industry.. but then Valve may cease to exist. So it's hard to say if I would want one. It's unlikely to happen but could bring in fresh ideas if it did happen!

exactly. but valve will be ok. they're an industry giant and probably have all kinds of money. they'd probably shrink a little though

lucid enigma
03-04-2011, 08:08 PM
exactly. but valve will be ok. they're an industry giant and probably have all kinds of money. they'd probably shrink a little though

Condense!
Steam condenses! :p

Baron_Fel
03-05-2011, 12:26 AM
the industry is massively expanding. I dont think theres any chance of a crash.

GirlPower23
03-05-2011, 12:35 AM

It was massively expanding 83 to.. :P

Baron_Fel
03-05-2011, 12:48 AM
It was massively expanding 83 to.. :P

its SO BIG though. I dont see how an industry that turns out the biggest entertainment launches ever aka Blops and MW2 can crash.

x181
03-05-2011, 01:30 AM
Yes, just look at Dragon Age 2.

Jderz
03-05-2011, 01:47 AM
Yes, just look at Dragon Age 2.

This. E.T eat your heart out.

Europhoria
03-05-2011, 02:26 AM
A crash might be good. Clean out a lot of the garbage out there. Just look at how EA turned their fortunes around. It wasn't by releasing even more crap but by focusing on solid stuff, well relatively.

x181
03-05-2011, 02:31 AM
A crash might be good. Clean out a lot of the garbage out there. Just look at how EA turned their fortunes around. It wasn't by releasing even more crap but by focusing on solid stuff, well relatively.

You mean "solids" which are processed into console kiddie games.

AnubisArc999
03-05-2011, 08:43 AM

Massively expanding = market saturation = crash.

It is pretty absurd to say that the bigger something gets the less likely there is a chance of crashing, since that is exactly how market saturation works.

At any one point in time, there is a finite number of buyers and funds that those buyers have. If there was suddenly 10,000 games released tomorrow, buyers would not be able to buy all of them, and most of those that funded those games would lose a lot of money or go bankrupt.

Like I said, I don't think there will be a crash like the 80s, but the reason for that thinking is certainly not because it is "massively expanding", since that is the cause of crashes.

I think the publishers will start to tone down releases (thus retracting not expanding) as to not over extend themselves.

Excygy
03-05-2011, 08:46 AM

some localized crashes can be good, exemple, if Activision fails for being too greeedy, they fire kotick and restart a compâny under a new name with same employees but a new boss ans new objectives would be cool.

Seroph4x
03-05-2011, 08:47 AM
No...

Liquid-Flame DK
03-05-2011, 09:03 AM
Err? The crash didnt affect PC games.

"While the crash killed the console gaming market, the computer gaming market was largely unaffected."

Vir
03-05-2011, 09:11 AM
Gaming industry needs a huge RESET.