PDA

View Full Version : Is nuclear feasible?

Battlecruiser
03-05-2011, 10:21 AM
I tried to get through the Oil Crisis Scenario, but to no avail.

Biofuel just speeds up hunger and makes monies go down, while there is constant problem with Uranium, even wwhen I get the fast breeders, which supposedly make uranium last 10x longer. But I still get into U-238 shortages. Is there any bloody way of making this work, or should I just hope for fusion?

There is also plenty of coal but this raises emmissions, and therfe is never enough gas to supplement the synthetic oil production.

Are any toher ways viable or is the biofuel the only option?

Archonsod
03-05-2011, 10:31 AM
Renewable, Biofuel, Nuclear can work for one or two regions, it's when you try to deploy it to every region demand outstrips supply.

Lavode
03-05-2011, 11:13 AM
nuclear is bugged atm. wait for the next patch before trying a strategy relying on it.

Battlecruiser
03-05-2011, 11:35 AM
Ok, to make things more manageable, how to get monies for all the projects? There is usually enough for the developed world, but Aftrica and India are just hopeless.

MuthaF
03-05-2011, 11:47 AM
Ok, to make things more manageable, how to get monies for all the projects? There is usually enough for the developed world, but Aftrica and India are just hopeless.

tobin tax & greatly planned spending. also, i usually abandon both Africas too, though India is managable..barely :)

and its Money, BOTH singular and plural.. horrified to see it in-game too: 'monies', in UK science game :(
doh, i take it back, in/since 1722 it was used oficially in Islands, i guess my English education is more lacking than i thought :)

Hentzau
03-05-2011, 11:51 AM
North America, Europe, Russia*, Japan and Oceania can all have the Tobin tax card played as soon as the game starts. As long as you can deal with the unhappiness it'll both give you money and act as a brake on the growth of commerce, which helps to delay the financial collapse.

*Will require a political office as soon as the game starts since Russia's stability drops rapidly without one.

Lavode
03-05-2011, 01:58 PM
Abandonment is not nearly as good a strategy as it was in the beta - you want african agriculture to feed you the megatonnes of biofuel you need. - if you want to reduce population, the one child card is much better than famine and war, as it doesnt wreck your HDI.

This is how you raise cash: Turn one, you tobin Russia, USA, EU, Japan, and Australia, use the funds to by social services everywhere and political offices in russia, north africa and the middle east. Second turn, play the education, infrastructure and medical cards where everywhere they are applicable- this causes global gdp (and thus your funds) to rise very sharply. - this puts your resource base under heavy pressure, but cap and trade, renewables, efficiency, biofuels and swearing off meat will allow you to have a planet of 10 billion rich people with a remarkably low ecological footprint.