PDA

View Full Version : Chris Priestly says ask Steam

jpinmo
03-06-2011, 06:40 PM
I couldnt find anything but Midnite release in the US but based on What time zone. Will it roll out at Midnite in each time zone or What???

DTKT
03-06-2011, 06:42 PM
This is probably not the good place to ask.

I guess the best way to know for sure would be to send a message to Steam Support. But since the response times are around 2-3 days, you will probably know after the 8th!

shr00mz
03-06-2011, 06:51 PM
hmm cant wait a few hours?

jpinmo
03-06-2011, 07:45 PM
No gonna be traveling for work and just wondered if it was any certain time zone. IE I will be on West Coast this week instead of home in the Mid West.

Pentinor
03-06-2011, 07:53 PM
From most of the steam releases ive been thru they are usually done midnight on the west coast. So around 3am est.

Scared
03-06-2011, 08:05 PM
It will most likely be a staggered release which will go North America, Europe and then whoever is left. It is unlikely that it will be a midnight release (although it could be, but usually only Valve games are midnight releases)

Burnsidhe
03-06-2011, 09:08 PM
00:00 GMT on the 8th.

That SHOULD mean 8 PM Eastern, 7 PM Central, 6 PM Mountain and 5 PM Pacific on the 7th.

However, Steam is apparently not able to tell time. Therefore it's most likely going to be midnight local time, whenever that is, given the way they preloaded Dragon Age 2 at 6:00 pm Eastern time, when the preload should have started at 6:00 PM GMT.

Inverness Moon
03-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Steam releases always happen past noon (CST) for me. Anyone who has experienced Steam releases knows not to expect a midnight release.

Spooky804
03-06-2011, 09:28 PM
just depends i've seen games get released around noon also seen them release round midnight- 3 am. whatever steam feels like doin i guess

Inverness Moon
03-06-2011, 09:35 PM
just depends i've seen games get released around noon also seen them release round midnight- 3 am. whatever steam feels like doin i guessI've always gotten the impression that, excluding special cases, Steam releases are manual and only done when people are at the office to deal with things rather than having a flip switch automatically at midnight. Naturally they wouldn't want to stay at the office past midnight in order to release a game.

Spooky804
03-06-2011, 09:39 PM
like i said it just depends

Inverness Moon
03-06-2011, 09:42 PM
like i said it just dependsDon't get my hopes up that Steam will actually do a midnight release for once. :p

Spooky804
03-06-2011, 09:53 PM
lol trust me im probably just as stoked as anyone for this to unlock. already pre-loaded. but i'm not gonna get upset if i have to wait a few extra hours. if it does not unlock at midnight oh well i'll just go to sleep and start playin when i wake up

ilaughatjoo
03-06-2011, 10:31 PM
The official BioWare post on their forums says all digital and retail versions will unlock at midnight.

Source: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/6331358

So, it's a safe bet that it's their plan to have everything unlock as soon as the clock ticks over for each person. Whether they will succeed is a different question altogether...

Also, the last 2 pre-load games I've had on Steam have unlocked within minutes of the clock ticking over. Hopefully it happens again... I stocked up on energy drinks :)

Inverness Moon
03-07-2011, 12:40 AM
Also, the last 2 pre-load games I've had on Steam have unlocked within minutes of the clock ticking over. Hopefully it happens again... I stocked up on energy drinks :)When was this? It's been a long time since I've pre-ordered a game on Steam... no wait, I remember pre-ordering Super Meat Boy and people raging on the forums because it got delayed 3 times. It eventually ended up unlocking around 5-6pm after being delayed for 4-5 hours.

Has Valve changed since then? It seems too good to be true.

ScholarsInk
03-07-2011, 12:41 AM
The official BioWare post on their forums says all digital and retail versions will unlock at midnight.

Source: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/6331358

So, it's a safe bet that it's their plan to have everything unlock as soon as the clock ticks over for each person. Whether they will succeed is a different question altogether...

Also, the last 2 pre-load games I've had on Steam have unlocked within minutes of the clock ticking over. Hopefully it happens again... I stocked up on energy drinks :)

Actually, the issue with Steam is completely different from what BioWare is talking about there. The people who buy retail or D2D etc have all of the files installed on their computers. The files are decrypted - the only thing they need to wait for is BioWare starting up activation. Even if activation happens at midnight PST, we still need to wait for Steam to decrypt our files.

Burningwolf
03-07-2011, 10:37 AM
D2d files are downloaded,but not installed.The key is needed to actually install the game.I'll post back here when my d2d key opens..(Yes,I wanted a SE)