PDA

View Full Version : How to set a "fake" ping ?

chirkut
03-07-2011, 02:46 AM
Hi, Can anyone tell me the method to set a fake ping for others to view when I join a server ? Don't mind, I kinda need it man. If you didn't understand.. I mean instead of showing my ping around 50-100-200 .. the game shows only a static low ping to others when they press TABS key. I'd really appreciate your help!

Simonon
03-07-2011, 02:53 AM
Why would you want to fake it in the first place?
Your ping is visible to others for a reason.

chirkut
03-07-2011, 02:58 AM
jeez.. I knew someone would make a post such as you did. Yes Sir, I know my ping is visible to others for a "reason". As I said I just need for something.
Please try being helpful

Simonon
03-07-2011, 03:05 AM
jeez.. I knew someone would make a post such as you did. Yes Sir, I know my ping is visible to others for a "reason". As I said I just need for something.
Please try being helpful
Don't be a ♥♥♥♥. When I think of people faking their ping, I think of people playing realism/expert with a real ping of 600.

Anyway, I think the console command you're looking for is:
cl_cmdrate

chirkut
03-07-2011, 03:14 AM
Don't be a ♥♥♥♥. When I think of people faking their ping, I think of people playing realism/expert with a real ping of 600.

Anyway, I think the console command you're looking for is:
cl_cmdrate
Well, you're wrong about that. I don't play realism/expert with a ping of 600. & I don't see a reason why anyone would wanna do that. anyway, what you said doesn't seem to work. :S

DreamSphinx
03-07-2011, 03:42 AM
Well, you're wrong about that. I don't play realism/expert with a ping of 600. & I don't see a reason why anyone would wanna do that. anyway, what you said doesn't seem to work. :S

Yeah, what's wrong with you guys? He doesn't play Realism/Expert with a ping of 600, he plays it with a ping of 599.

Jeez.

chirkut
03-07-2011, 03:49 AM
Yeah, what's wrong with you guys? He doesn't play Realism/Expert with a ping of 600, he plays it with a ping of 599.

Jeez.
Lol man, no you are wrong as well. I do not play realism expert with 599. I play realism versus with 1k ping! & I enjoy it so much :3 .. teleporting zombies, tank long range punches. nothing gets better than that. -_______- happy ?
Arghhh.. Mother of Mercy! :'(

Bad Card
03-07-2011, 04:02 AM
Add a plus before the value

cl_cmdrate "+30"

offishulwoland
03-07-2011, 05:15 AM
puting a + in front of the value in cl_cmdrate masks your ping. It will appear as 1ms to other players. I have never used it myself but it should work.

BTW this may give you more trouble than its worth. Many players will leave a game you are in if they see it because they assume you are hosting a local server, and it doesn't really help you avoid getting deadstopped as a hunter.

chirkut
03-07-2011, 06:39 AM
Thanks alot, it works.:p

skinlo
03-07-2011, 06:48 AM
Basically I imagine chirkut has a crappy ping, but he wants to pretend he doesn't so other people don't pick on him when he joins a game.

prophecy holder
03-07-2011, 06:50 AM
Basically I imagine chirkut has a crappy ping, but he wants to pretend he doesn't so other people don't pick on him when he joins a game.

Because L4D2 is srs business.

k20383
03-07-2011, 11:35 AM
cl_cmdrate +100 it will show your ping as being 1 but it actually does nothing for you real ping all that command does is packets sent to server, for your real ping and fps type in net_graph 1,2, or 3 which ever graph you like better.

GETYOURASS2MARS
03-07-2011, 11:46 AM
cl_cmdrate +100
cl_updaterate +100

doesn't MASK your ping on servers where you get kicked for it being high.

Blobman001
03-07-2011, 12:13 PM
Anyone know what I should set the command to, to make it show around 50 or something, so people won't know my server is local hosted xd

BmB23
03-07-2011, 12:35 PM
wouldn't having a cmdrate/updaterate of 100 be a humongous bandwith hog?

Zeratulz
03-07-2011, 12:36 PM
puting a + in front of the value in cl_cmdrate masks your ping. It will appear as 1ms to other players. I have never used it myself but it should work.

BTW this may give you more trouble than its worth. Many players will leave a game you are in if they see it because they assume you are hosting a local server, and it doesn't really help you avoid getting deadstopped as a hunter.

Which is pretty stupid, because localhosts have 5 ping. Hurrdurr.

Changing the cmdrate to above 30 will have no effect, Source won't allow it. You'll see the cmdrate you changed it to in the netgraph, but in reality it won't go above 30.
cl_updaterate is capped at 60, however.

offishulwoland
03-07-2011, 12:47 PM
wouldn't having a cmdrate/updaterate of 100 be a humongous bandwith hog?

All L4D2 servers have a tickrate of 30 so cmdrate and updaterate will not go any higher than that anyway, even if you do put in a higher value.

Zeratulz
03-07-2011, 12:49 PM
All L4D2 servers have a tickrate of 30 so cmdrate and updaterate will not go any higher than that anyway, even if you do put in a higher value.

Updaterate actually is allowed to go to 60.
Yeah, it's advised to put it on 30 seeing as the tickrate is indeed 30, But 60 works.

CanadaRox
03-07-2011, 03:43 PM
Updaterate actually is allowed to go to 60.
Yeah, it's advised to put it on 30 seeing as the tickrate is indeed 30, But 60 works.

Servers can set a max of anything they want, you'll still only send an receive 30 due to engine limitations.

The reason +n does it is because the game is looking for a number, and numbers are supposed to be either n or -n, +n is undefined so it reads it as 0. cl_cmdrate +100000 is the same as cl_cmdrate 0.

To get 50ms, try variaous numbers for cl_cmdrate. Lower numbers will give you a lower ping, and higher ones will give you a higher one. However to get 50ms you'll probably need a huge number (assuming your actual ping is 5ms).

BROfest
03-07-2011, 04:23 PM
Because L4D2 is srs business.

To many people it is.

Ettanin
03-08-2011, 08:31 PM
Anyone know what I should set the command to, to make it show around 50 or something, so people won't know my server is local hosted xd

Get 2Mbit/s upstream (4Mbit/s upstream for versus). Server-sided ping fakes are not possible.

Zora-Link
03-08-2011, 08:39 PM
Lol man, no you are wrong as well. I do not play realism expert with 599. I play realism versus with 1k ping! & I enjoy it so much :3 .. teleporting zombies, tank long range punches. nothing gets better than that. -_______- happy ?
Arghhh.. Mother of Mercy! :'(

Why... would you even WANT to play like that? Hell, I hate anything above 100 ping. Even 80 is pushing it.

john_volkov
03-08-2011, 09:43 PM
you see here if you have ping 1000 in versus , evryone from the server get's an extra 300 ping because of you.

irogue
03-09-2011, 03:03 AM
SO many "Theories" and not enough "Facts" in this topic

Not all servers are set to 30 some admins actually know how to set the bandwith settings for their servers and give relevant informationt o their clients if possible.

From valve Developer site:

The server simulates the game in discrete time steps called ticks. By default, the timestep is 15ms, so 66.666... ticks per second are simulated, but mods can specify their own tickrate. During each tick, the server processes incoming user commands, runs a physical simulation step, checks the game rules, and updates all object states. After simulating a tick, the server decides if any client needs a world update and takes a snapshot of the current world state if necessary. A higher tickrate increases the simulation precision, but also requires more CPU power and available bandwidth on both server and client. The server admin may override the default tickrate with the -tickrate command line parameter, though tickrate changes done this way are not recommended because the mod may not work as designed if its tickrate is changed.

So the problem is usually a combination fo both client and server there goes the theory that the server is always to blame.

Clients usually have only a limited amount of available bandwidth. In the worst case, players with a modem connection can't receive more than 5 to 7 KB/sec. If the server tried to send them updates with a higher data rate, packet loss would be unavoidable.

Yes Packet Loss a word that you hardly ever hear these days, packet loss is when you have packets dropped between client and server, this will feel like the game has paused momentarily and you all of a sudden are elsewhere or facing the wrong way.

And updaterate is actually allowed to goto 66.

If you want to educate yourselfs then goto the developer site and read.

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Source_Multiplayer_Networking#Basic_Networking

Or here so you can get a lamens (for those of you who are impaired when it comes to networking information) version fo the information.

http://whisper.ausgamers.com/wiki/index.php/Source_rates

roxarn
03-09-2011, 08:17 AM
SO many "Theories" and not enough "Facts" in this topic

Not all servers are set to 30 some admins actually know how to set the bandwith settings for their servers and give relevant informationt o their clients if possible.

From valve Developer site:

So the problem is usually a combination fo both client and server there goes the theory that the server is always to blame.

Yes Packet Loss a word that you hardly ever hear these days, packet loss is when you have packets dropped between client and server, this will feel like the game has paused momentarily and you all of a sudden are elsewhere or facing the wrong way.

And updaterate is actually allowed to goto 66.

If you want to educate yourselfs then goto the developer site and read.

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Source_Multiplayer_Networking#Basic_Networking

Or here so you can get a lamens (for those of you who are impaired when it comes to networking information) version fo the information.

http://whisper.ausgamers.com/wiki/index.php/Source_rates

You are copy pasting info that is not relevant in this case. L4D2 differs from TF2/CS:S and other source games in the networking aspect.

The -tickrate parameter has no effect in L4D2. The only way to change a L4D2 servers tickrate is to use a thirdparty plugin like "tickrate enabler". However that is completely unsupported by valve and using such plugins to higher the tickrate will result in various unwanted bieffects such as boomer puke not registering properly. Hence using a tickrate above 30 on a L4D2 server is gamebreaking, not at all supported by valve, and simply something you don't want to do.

You can set the maximum cmdrate and updaterate values to whatever you want in your servers cfg but it reality it won't make any difference since the server is still running at a tickrate of 30. The only logical reason you would want an updaterate over 30 set in your client is to affect the calculation of your interpolation value. Setting an updaterate or cmdrate above 30 and expecting it to affect how many bytes you send or recieve from the server is simply ignorant since all proper L4D2 servers are running at a tickrate of 30.

ryancee7
03-09-2011, 10:10 AM
Why... would you even WANT to play like that? Hell, I hate anything above 100 ping. Even 80 is pushing it.

Lol Mines 150-200+ all the time, often red and even though it is I usually always do the best, even in versus I do pretty well, I guess I adjusted to it and know how to handle it.

I always dreamed of a green ping of <50... Oh how I dream...

Blobman001
03-09-2011, 12:31 PM
Get 2Mbit/s upstream (4Mbit/s upstream for versus). Server-sided ping fakes are not possible.

I'm sure the server sees me as a client since I use srcds to host it

Ettanin
03-09-2011, 01:50 PM
I'm sure the server sees me as a client since I use srcds to host it

So you want to mask YOUR ping and not the one of OTHERS? Well there's a virtual "Lagswitch" in L4D2: net_fakelag xxxx where xxxx is the Latency in ms. It requires to have cheats activated on the server.

irogue
03-09-2011, 04:07 PM
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Left_4_Dead_%28engine_branch%29

Well i stand corrected i had forgotten the engine for l4d is kind of unique