PDA

View Full Version : I interviewed Tale of Tales!

trivi4l
03-07-2011, 09:22 PM
Check it out here (http://www.firstdropshow.com/interview-tale-of-tales)
Intelligent folk these guys.

Nirc
07-18-2011, 02:39 AM
Interesting article. For some reason, this site won't let me C/P from it (why?...), so I won't be able to quote it. If you read the article, though, you should be able to realize what I'm pointing out.

They're trying out a "new medium," in the sense that these "games" are not games in the traditional sense. I can appreciate that! One thing I definitely do not like, though, is that they seem to repeatedly attest that modern games are not artistic. They even say that they're too "linear," and "too much like film and text." Understandable, but this is certainly not a bad thing; these things tell stories and teach the audience, and games are no exception! I wouldn't have a problem with them saying this, but they also say that they are "interested in software, as artists," which seems to imply that other developers are not, which, building on my last statements, really doesn't make much sense at all.

Another big thing: all of the "new" things they say they're trying with their games can be applied to games today! Surely, a bland shooter like Painkiller (not bashing Painkiller; I love this game) won't leave much to the mind, but a story like Bioshock that questions a society without morals quite excels at being an art form, I think. Go and take another look at any quote said by Tale of Tales in that interview regarding their games as an art form. Can not any of those things be said of already-existing games as well?

All that being said, I hope this studio does well for themselves, but realizes what they're getting themselves into. One might question whether or not these should even be called games at all, but rather something along the lines of "interactive video experiences." I can definitely appreciate taking a new approach to things, and I can definitely appreciate making games an art, but I certainly won't shell out money for an experience that I can get elsewhere, and in greater (and more fun) amounts, just as I wouldn't pay 2 million dollars for a painting of a Campbell's soup can. If something as simple as this can say a thousand words, what does an immersive, 10-50-hour long story say? Then again, maybe it's all just subjective.