PDA

View Full Version : Campaign 5 Hours Long...

Heids24
03-08-2011, 09:11 AM
Read here...

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/292449/news/homefront-campaign-is-five-hours-long/

While 5 hours is COD short, they do state the campaign was so good that it didn't bother them, other than for the fact that they didn't want to stop playing.

"That short, short length of the main story may seem like a major sticking point, but it isn't as significant as you might fear," it says. "Homefront is relentlessly brutal and constantly puts you in new, unusual and memorable scenarios, varying the pace to keep things interesting."

Also said good things about the mp.

"Multiplayer also fared well, with PSM3 praising guns that "really come into their own" and a battle point system ensures that games "rarely feel one-sided".

If you're buying it for the sp, well this might be upsetting news.

If you're buying this for the mp, probably not that big of an issue. Actually, it might be good news for those of us buying it for the mp, but whom are still interested in the sp since you can quickly experience the sp and dive into the mp without too much delay. ;)

blaze211
03-08-2011, 09:49 AM
i dont know where everyone is getting this 5 hour rubish. I distinctively remember reading somewhere that it was 8 hours long. I will try and find the link.

edit: found it.
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/homefront/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-57926351&pid=960374

notavirus.exe
03-08-2011, 11:32 AM
This sub 10 hour singleplayer trend has got to stop. The multiplayer will fizzle out after 3 months and you will be left with a short, played out game.

I was seriously considering this game, I'll wait until the price hits $20 or less.

Mr.Foster
03-08-2011, 12:07 PM
This sub 10 hour singleplayer trend has got to stop. The multiplayer will fizzle out after 3 months and you will be left with a short, played out game.

I was seriously considering this game, I'll wait until the price hits $20 or less.

Yeah, you should. I pre ordered it and suddenly the release date was pushed a month later. No respect for customer.

Erikjust
03-08-2011, 12:11 PM
♥♥♥♥ you Kaos studios, I donīt care how much you think your game is worth, no way am i paying 49,99 Euros for a 5 or even 8 hour long campaign if weīre saying something like 18 well sure i would pay that amount of money it would be well worth it.

But 5 even 8 hours long its like Kane and Lynch 2 Dog days with a FOUR HOUR LONG CAMPAIGN!! But weīre focusing on the multilayer experience...that will be well worth the money right?

WRONG!! If i want a multiplayer experience iīll buy a ♥♥♥♥ing MMO, i donīt care how much you like to eat or how much you might make in another field game developers! this 4 to 8 hour trend got to stop or at least if your want to continue it lower the prices put them at around 6 euros maybe 13 if your game really has a breathtaking 8 hour long single player campaign but 49,99? forget it.

Ohh youīll lose your job if i donīt buy it and the game fails? Fine shut down all the studios that thinks a game with only 5 hour long campaign is worth 49,99, then you can a new job at a game company that understands the meaning of making a single player campaign worth the 49,99 euros price tag.

Oh and before you take out any Portal reference, that game was a part of the orange box which contained apart from Portal, Half life 2 Half episode 1 and 2 plus team fortress 2 that box was well worth the money!!

Angry Alien
03-08-2011, 12:12 PM
And even if the SP is 8 hours long - in my book 8 hours make the game not a bit more worth buying than 5. No matter how "intense" they are.

"That short, short length of the main story may seem like a major sticking point, but it isn't as significant as you might fear"

I hope whoever wrote this will someday realise what a pile of crap this statement is. I really wonder what he would say if his car dealer told him "Your car will only work for 10.000 km, but it isnīt as significant as you might fear! At least the ride will be incredibly intense!"

This might sound harsh, but let me explain my point of view.
I donīt care about MP since I almost never play online. I usually buy games only for the SP part and what I get for my money nowadays is ridiculous.

I still remember the discussions 10 years ago if "Voyager: Elite Force" is worth buying because it was ONLY 15 hours long.
Half Life provided 20-25 hours of gameplay. Half Life 2, Far Cry and Doom 3 still provided 20 hours.
And today people think it is totally okay to spend 50 bucks for 5 hours max of Black Ops gameplay.

I am aware of the fact that making games today is much more expensive than 10 years ago and that most gamers want an extensive MP part, which also draws time and money from the SP part.

But I refuse to spend 50 Euro for a game which I can start on a noon on saturday and have it finished an hour before supper.

I was very excited about Homefront and could not wait to buy it, but now I think I will wait until I find it in a bargain bin.

xruiner89
03-08-2011, 12:29 PM
Not too bothered, will have fun with the single player but the multi player is what made me buy the game.

notavirus.exe
03-08-2011, 12:31 PM
And now its clear why they put so many perks into purchasing it. LOL @ Free game + TF2 item.

Heids24
03-08-2011, 12:36 PM
Not too bothered, will have fun with the single player but the multi player is what made me buy the game.

I'm with you on this. I'll definitely play the sp, but the mp is why I'm picking this up to begin with.

xMaggostx
03-08-2011, 12:38 PM
I dont care about singleplayer, all i want is a good multiplayer content.

FrontlinerDelta
03-08-2011, 12:45 PM
And even if the SP is 8 hours long - in my book 8 hours make the game not a bit more worth buying than 5. No matter how "intense" they are.

"That short, short length of the main story may seem like a major sticking point, but it isn't as significant as you might fear"

I hope whoever wrote this will someday realise what a pile of crap this statement is. I really wonder what he would say if his car dealer told him "Your car will only work for 10.000 km, but it isnīt as significant as you might fear! At least the ride will be incredibly intense!"

This might sound harsh, but let me explain my point of view.
I donīt care about MP since I almost never play online. I usually buy games only for the SP part and what I get for my money nowadays is ridiculous.

I still remember the discussions 10 years ago if "Voyager: Elite Force" is worth buying because it was ONLY 15 hours long.
Half Life provided 20-25 hours of gameplay. Half Life 2, Far Cry and Doom 3 still provided 20 hours.
And today people think it is totally okay to spend 50 bucks for 5 hours max of Black Ops gameplay.

I am aware of the fact that making games today is much more expensive than 10 years ago and that most gamers want an extensive MP part, which also draws time and money from the SP part.

But I refuse to spend 50 Euro for a game which I can start on a noon on saturday and have it finished an hour before supper.

I was very excited about Homefront and could not wait to buy it, but now I think I will wait until I find it in a bargain bin.

Cars are nothing like games, that analogy has always been flawed.

This is a game that has a short, intense SP and an extensive MP. If that's not what you want, move on. Personally as long as the SP is exciting and the MP is well thought out, it's well worth it. Few SP games are worth replaying anyways, MP is what gives it life and variety.

notavirus.exe
03-08-2011, 01:05 PM
Cars are nothing like games, that analogy has always been flawed.

This is a game that has a short, intense SP and an extensive MP. If that's not what you want, move on. Personally as long as the SP is exciting and the MP is well thought out, it's well worth it. Few SP games are worth replaying anyways, MP is what gives it life and variety.

Then why make single player games? :rolleyes:

The multiplayer looks like it offers nothing over any other FPS game.

Heids24
03-08-2011, 01:08 PM

I hope whoever wrote this will someday realise what a pile of crap this statement is.

I would much rather pay to play a strong, emotionally engaging campaign that's 5-8 hours long than a repetative, loosely written story that is 20+ hours long. I'll never finish a 20 hour long sp campaign that doesn't hold my interest.

Erikjust
03-08-2011, 02:08 PM
I think a good way to come over what do you want SP or MP would be to separate the two in a kind of DLC form.

If you want the single player only version you buy that DLC part and if you only want the MP you can buy that DLC part and if you want both you can buy the complete game which has both SP and MP.

That way a 5 hour long campaign wouldnīt or should i say shouldnīt cost nearly the same amount of money that the complete game should cost.

In fact a 5 hour long single player campaign should ONLY cost the same as a 5 hour long DLC pack would which would be around the 5 to 6 euros max(hey most of the Dragon age DLCs was about the 5 hour mark and they only cost around the 6 to 7 euros max, and if bioware can do it so can others.)

Iconoclast XVII
03-08-2011, 03:17 PM
Yeah, you should. I pre ordered it and suddenly the release date was pushed a month later. No respect for customer.

Would you rather have the date pushed back a month or a game released that is barely playable for a month until a patch is released?

jkmjelite
03-08-2011, 03:32 PM

How would you feel if you had preordered Duke Nukem 11 years ago?

MADDOGGE
03-08-2011, 05:42 PM
Don't care about the MP at all. I only buy for SP. Thats a real shame no way is this game worth full price with less that 10 hours and even that is pushing it. They have got to stop pushing the MP portions of these games over the SP. It's the SP that has the longevity. Unless your MP is one of just a scant small golden handful of MP games it will be dead in just a month or two and then you got nothing to sell people on since you have no SP to speak of.

Well I guess this games just moved into the bargain bin/massive sale category.:(:(:( If I wanted an episode length game, I'd drag out one of Valve's episodes for the never to be completed HL2 series.:mad:

Stinger911
03-08-2011, 05:48 PM
In case you guys didn't know, the Battlefield games NEVER had a single player campaign up until Bad Company, and their replay value was immeasurable.

Be happy you're getting a SP campaign at all, as this game is clearly aiming to take the MP gaming crown.

I can't believe some of you are trying to saying that an FPS's replay comes from its SP. Blasphemy.

xMaggostx
03-08-2011, 06:13 PM
Don't care about the MP at all. I only buy for SP.

What...? i cant understand the way you think.

i_2_i
03-08-2011, 06:28 PM
and i've read that there are 4 hours 59 minutes 59 seconds and 999 milliseconds of cut scenes ;)

DAH
03-08-2011, 06:36 PM
What...? i cant understand the way you think.

Then in that case go buy/pre-order your five hour long shooter SP campaign and go onto multiplayer and then get jarateed off because someone is kicking your ♥♥♥ on MP.

sharkietoo
03-08-2011, 07:02 PM
Be happy you're getting a SP campaign at all, as this game is clearly aiming to take the MP gaming crown.

Thats a claim that has a high probability of coming back to bite you on the a$$.
But it was funny to read...

Zorlac
03-08-2011, 07:28 PM
I'm not buying this for single player.

snowcone72
03-08-2011, 07:41 PM
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108337-Homefront-Has-a-5-Hour-Campaign-Sort-of

The campaign is longer than 5 hours.

Yaakkoop
03-09-2011, 12:08 AM
I guess it depends on how good you are at shooters, but I doubt I could finish it in 5 hours. I'll probably die a bunch of times due to storming way too much. Probably 10 hours for me if the average is 5 hours. Exploring also takes quite a while so maybe 15 hours for me.

But yeah, for someone who is getting this for SP, I surely hope it's longer than 5 hours.

gwiz42
03-09-2011, 12:37 AM
Personally I think 5 hours is fine, but it depends how much time you have.

I would much rather have an amazing 5 hr ride than 10-20 hours with 15 hrs of "filler".

HL2 was painful like this, huge sections of mindless drive/ride/walk a bit of shooting

Cod4 was about right, and hopefully this will be too. Films are probably a better analogy.

Matrix 1 (just over an hour) - totally awesome
Matrix 2&3 - 2.5 hrs each and both were way too long.

Infact I would bet if they were forced to make them 1.5 hours each they would have been as good as the first.

This is supposed to be a really intense and often emotionally engaging game, which means it would be almost impossible to keep that up for 10 hours without lots of mindless long sections with noting to do but shoot stuff.

Angry Alien
03-09-2011, 12:47 AM
In case you guys didn't know, the Battlefield games NEVER had a single player campaign up until Bad Company, and their replay value was immeasurable.

I can't believe some of you are trying to saying that an FPS's replay comes from its SP. Blasphemy.

Yes, and the Battlefield games were clearly advertised as MP games.
So they were bought by people who wanted an MP game and someone who only wanted a SP game knew they had to look elsewhere.

And yes, for me the replay value comes from the SP part. Of course this does not work for every game, but you can say the same about MP games.
For some 10 or even 15 year old games you can still find servers and people playing online. Just look for Jedi Knight 2 servers, you will still find some. On the other hand you can find tons of games with a praised MP part which nobody plays anymore a year later. A risk that Homefront has to face as well.
And there are oooold games I am still playing in SP for the bazillionst time and still having loads of fun. Doom, the Jedi Knight Series, Voyager Elite Force, Painkiller or Far Cry are just some examples.
(Hell, I am still playing old C64 or Amiga games because the "SP" is so much fun... ;) )

Whether you draw the most fun from SP or MP is up to your personal preferences. And people like me, lets call them the SP-Guys, mainly want a good SP experience and see the MP part as bonus they might play now and then.

I donīt have a problem with MP games.
What I do have a problem with is, that I can barely find a game with enough SP content to make the game worth buying for me.
Nowadays you get a game that is developed as MP and with a ridiculously short SP campaing pinned on. Apparently most game studios see MP as the main source of income and expect us Sp-guys to shut up and be happy with the meager 5 - 8 hours tops of SP part we get.

shr00mz
03-09-2011, 12:55 AM
But weīre focusing on the multilayer experience...that will be well worth the money right?

WRONG!! If i want a multiplayer experience iīll buy a ♥♥♥♥ing MMO, i donīt care how much you like to eat or how much you might

Because MMO's are exactly like fps multiplayer games ??

NC37
03-09-2011, 01:38 AM
Actually some of the best games on the market have campaigns that aren't that long. Take Left 4 Dead for instance. You can finish each campaign under 45 mins easily. With the 5 starter campaigns that is under 5hrs. The factor which sold it was the replayability and multiplayer.

Heck I've got a lot of games with 20hr plus gameplays that i'll never play more than once cause I just don't find the content worth seeing again. But games like Heavenly Sword at 6hrs, I can play again and actually want to. Good level design plus great memorable moments keep me coming back.

thearmofbarlow
03-09-2011, 01:50 AM
The average gamer these days seems to be a 15 year old girl with a permanent period. Whine, ♥♥♥♥♥, moan. You don't like how "short" the SP may be? Cancel your ♥♥♥♥ing preorder and move along. It really is that simple.

gwiz42
03-09-2011, 02:22 AM
If you want a long SP game, go for Borderlands, that with side quests and expansions is well into the 20hrs category and you can play it with 4 friends drop in/out co-op.

I guess they have to focus some place. Straight shooters can get tedious after a few hours, you need RPG/quests etc and that is a totally different game.

If games were Burgers, would you prefer to have a 100% beef quarter pounder or a 50% beef half pounder (I'm a veggie so I don't mind either way) but thats always what games seem to be like.

HF should be awesome, a fun and emotional SP game, and a MP component that gives us, hopefully, something more fun than BC2/Cod sounds like a bargain to me.

MADDOGGE
03-09-2011, 07:32 AM
The average gamer these days seems to be a 15 year old girl with a permanent period. Whine, ♥♥♥♥♥, moan. You don't like how "short" the SP may be? Cancel your ♥♥♥♥ing preorder and move along. It really is that simple.I personally can't wait until the internet is so freaking capped and controlled everywhere that no MP game survives.:p:p

tvitch
03-09-2011, 07:39 AM
i for one am mainly just looking forward to the mp anyhow, the sp is just a welcomed added bonus.

xMaggostx
03-09-2011, 08:20 AM
Then in that case go buy/pre-order your five hour long shooter SP campaign and go onto multiplayer and then get jarateed off because someone is kicking your ♥♥♥ on MP.

Why are you quoting me? i pre-ordered the game for multiplayer, i wont touch the singleplayer mode.

notavirus.exe
03-09-2011, 10:39 AM
I personally can't wait until the internet is so freaking capped and controlled everywhere that no MP game survives.:p:p

Touche.

To think I was excited about this game. :(

jasonbecker83
03-09-2011, 11:41 AM
mh If you want a decent sp experience play metro2033... no? it's a very nice game, I own it and it was totally worth its price...and it will last more than 5 hours and has a decent replay value IMO and you will have it for free if you buy the preorder on steam... also I think homefront is mainly a multiplayer game like codbo or bfbc2...sp is just some kind of "add-on" ...

Alixey
03-09-2011, 11:54 AM
Who the heck cares if the SP campaign will be 5 hours long. It will be a very nice game regardless it's (poor?) campaign.
I see Homefront more as a multi-player game instead of a single-player one.
I don't see the problem, why there's so much whine when, just to name one, Modern Warfare 2's campaign was just 7 hours long, none said that it was so short.

AlHudson1
03-09-2011, 12:19 PM
If you want a very long FPS-SP experience play MW2 or BO campaign stands for 4 hours.

FrontlinerDelta
03-09-2011, 12:40 PM
Then why make single player games? :rolleyes:

The multiplayer looks like it offers nothing over any other FPS game.

Battle Points, dynamic missions (only 2 games that have that are KZ which is a console game and Section 8).

.smith
03-09-2011, 12:44 PM
Somewhat mmisinformed as they state that their EXPERT players RACED through it in 5 hours while others took 8-10 hours to finish it.

http://loot-ninja.com/2011/03/09/homefront-campaign-beaten-in-5-hours-by-experts/

poodlemeister
03-09-2011, 04:20 PM
Well, here is my view

Mass Effect 2, AMAZING game, no doubt. I played it the first time, normal difficulty, about...15-20 hours total game time. Had a blast. But when I finished it, I played again and was bored out of my mind. There were no real set pieces that I particularly liked.

Call of Duty 4. Played it the first time, no more than 6 or so hours. But after finishing it, I would play my favorite missions over and over again, just to relive that thrill and had a blast. Total game time? 50+ hours

Even if the story is short, if it has memorable levels and set pieces it will bring you back. Much like Crysis' first level, which was the demo effectively, and people got more time and fun out of THE DEMO than most games

arafeli
03-10-2011, 12:49 AM
i dont really buy the games today for their SP i buy it mainly for the MP that they offer
but dont get me wrong if the game got 5 hours or 10000 hours of SP i wont really mind playing it as long as they will be abule to give the action and the cool moments in that time and not some bullcrap of just get from here to there and just kill the same enemys with the same gun in the same way (unless you run out of ammo and then you change weapon)
i hope they will give options of roots and stuff that will let us feel like we dont have to kill the enemy just in that way or the order
and from what i saw and read i think they can and will offer it for us and i think the game will rock in SP and MP but only time wil say

i played cod 4/4.5 games and as short as peoples say they are i had no problem paying their sp again and again just for their cool moments
if the SP is awsome i can turn a 3hours SP long in to a 10 hours just from the replay or on trying to play on hard+not dying in a full lvl

Just a Game
03-10-2011, 04:06 AM
Wait.. There's a SP campaign??? sweet, that's a bonus to the MP side I'm buying it for :D

Dethstar
03-10-2011, 04:55 AM
The largest market for console games is the "casual gamer" so the majority of games produced for consoles are aimed at this group. In on of the game developers mags I read the "casual gamer" was defined as someone who picks up a game on Friday on his way home from school (or perhaps work) and wants a good experience over the weekend that he or she can complete before the got back to school on monday thereby avoiding distraction. No one wants to be accused of encouraging truancy. Unbelievable. 5 hours or 8 hours is irrelevant. I want content for my cash. Like a five minute (or hour) instant gratification. The consoles could learn alot from the PC if the hardware could support it and as the average age of the audience continue to mature. Until then we should expect many more five hour games. I have already preordered home front but I think I will cancel it. It sounds like this was another designed for consoles. I need to check if it has DX11 or proper AA and decent PC specific enhancements. The last thing I need in my collection is another 5 hour wonder console crossover. Better off spending my money on something I will at least be playing next week. The MP must be absolutely awesome on home front.

Incidentally on another note, my respect is with the developers anyway for at least breaking the mould of constant military shooters which are basically a massacre without consequence. I am numb from it. I dont want more of that, give me something that makes me feel something, anything. hehe I like the fact that homefront tries to show that war isnt pretty. More developers should have the balls to do the same. Its not about morals, its about immersion. I have never been to war but I know its not about bloodless bodies, clean kills and we will all be home for tea. I would like to see more of that caputred in games. It will drive greater immersion than running around screaming, headshot, headshot headot!.

gwiz42
03-10-2011, 02:12 PM
Also, Modern Warfare 2 was around 4 hours for a average player ... very spectacularly short

I think it will always depend on how good you are, the difficulty level you play it at and how long you can play the game for.

Me I have maybe 1-2 hours a week, so an 8hr game takes me 4 weeks. If you have days at a time to play, you can finish it first day.

As long as it's good, length is irrelevant (even in games) :)

HrMaster284
03-10-2011, 03:34 PM
this 3, 4, 5, hurs of sp trend has to stop! Period

HrMaster284
03-10-2011, 03:45 PM
The last game that had aceptable sp gameplay hours was Half-Life series and not just that it was long but it was inovative, exciting, and repetative! how many years passed from then? If today games are so short than lazy programers could at least come up with a concept of random generated levels like diablo style so that every time you start sp again it has sometnig changed, that would be a novelty in fps genre i thiunk

Dirtman73
03-10-2011, 04:55 PM
You know who else ♥♥♥♥♥es about this type of thing? People who want all of their singleplayer games to include some sort of multiplayer aspect. It's just another side of the argument that every game released these days has to encompass both types of gameplay or else it sucks.

Jeezus. Nobody is satisfied anymore. Who cares if the Homefront singleplayer campaign is only five hours long? If you're buying it for the SP experience, than you obviously haven't been paying attention to the game's development cycle.

BuckRodgers
03-10-2011, 05:11 PM
I have to wonder how that reviewer got the 5 hour campaign, was it on super easy and just running through as fast as possible because it was "work" for him?

I can understand when people get pissy when Black ops and the like are $60 and you get a 5-8 hr campaign that is more action movie than game but i cant really bring myself to hate a product that gives me an enjoyable 5 hrs of campaign and 20+ hours of multiplayer.